Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Who makes a 1/6 scale P-47 or P-51 in a kit?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Who makes a 1/6 scale P-47 or P-51 in a kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 10:46 PM
Shihtzutan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who makes a 1/6 scale P-47 or P-51 in a kit?

I'm so impressed with Elite Force 1/6 scale pilots that I want to transition to 1/6 scale airplanes so I can sit their butts in the cockpit! The ARF world is cramping my style and I hate buying something just to strip it! I don't mind kit-bashing but I hate paying the extra money for the crappy film covering and garbage hardware that usually comes with ARF's, just to trash it and throw more money at it! I find that all ARF's are actually FFRTF (Far From Ready to Fly)! I know I'm plagued with realism, and it's not easy being me, but I'd be eternally grateful if someone could point the way to a few good quality warbird kits in 1/6 scale. I’d love to find a 77†Mustang.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:59 PM
rrudytoo
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: Who makes a 1/6 scale P-47 or P-51 in a kit?

Shihtzutan,

Yellow Aircraft makes a P-47 in 1/6th scale. The 80" Jug is available in Razorback or bubbletop models with accessories available from Yellow and Aerotech. Of course, Yellow also makes retracts for their bird which is very convenient but gear is also available from Sierra Giant Scale and Robart.

Top Flite makes a nice P-47, also, and it has an 85" wingspan. Same as above, lots of accessories available from the same sources. Either plane could be powered by a large nitro engine or a gas power plant. Nothin' but options!

Whichever you choose, good luck!

Al
Old 10-15-2006, 11:05 PM
orvel
My Feedback: (1)

I don't think you're going to find a 1/6 scale P-47 or P-51 in a true builder's kit. You could get these two airplanes in 1/5th from Top Flite (Great Planes) or you might try scracth building one from Ziroli Plans, I believe he has a P-47 close to the wingspan you're looking for. If you don't want to cut your own parts you can have one of the kit-cutting outfits cut it for you or they may even have one of these already in stock. On the other hand you might want to consider the Yellow P-47 or Ironbay models (if they have them in stock). These are 1/6 scale models with fiberglass fuses and foam sheeted wings. Although the fuse, wings, and tail surfaces are already formed and in shape, these aren't ARFs, not by a long shot, there's still a lot of work to be done and when you finish them they are true representatives of your workmanship. I'm putting the Yellow P-47 and just posted some pictures of it in progress (see thread "Yellow P-47 in Flite Metal). By the way, the 1/6 scale Elite Force "Lt. Doc Miller" WWII pilot is going to be "flying" this bird. He's a perfect fit and he can't wait!

Good luck to you!
Old 10-15-2006, 11:52 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Pica made a 1/6th scale P-51 kit that you may still be able to find second hand. There was also the old Master Scale P-51 in 1/6th scale as well. That one may be a bit harder to find though.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:08 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yellow aircraft, IMP, Top Flite
Old 10-16-2006, 08:30 PM
Shihtzutan

Thanks to all who replied,

rrudytoo,

I hadn't thought of a Yellow kit, thanks! They are only about an hour away from me! I wonder how much theire P-47 costs, it looks pretty nice! I also consdered the a Skyshark Bf-109 with the BBI Luffwaffe guy in the cockpit but their kit prices jumped quite a bit and I'm reluctant to just "happily" pay it and give them the satisfaction of rolling-over! What kind of a company suddenly raises their prices 100.00? That Yellow P-47 is shy 1-1/2 inches for it to be an honest 1/6 scale, but it's close enough to consider. The 1/5 scale stuff is too damn big for a 1/6 scale pilot and I really rather use 4-stroke glow engine; a Satio 180 or 220 should suffice.

Orval,

Donald Moore sits in my Stearman, Doc Miller is a rare find, . . . where did you get yours?
Old 10-16-2006, 08:49 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there is a Yellow P47 in RCU for 800 with all the goodies
Old 10-16-2006, 09:05 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a 'Master scale P-51 as a feature article in the old 'Scale' R/C Modeler magazine and on the cover she.. looked fantastic or was it the blond in the bikini posing with the origional proto type.. if you can latch on to one of those kits I think you will be glad you did
Old 10-16-2006, 09:18 PM
orvel
My Feedback: (1)

Shihtzutan, I've had my "Doc" Miller for awhile, he's very popular and seems to be sold-out everywhere. Sometimes manufacturers stop runs on purpose to make them rare and more valuable. A word of caution, if you're going to get the Yellow P-47 I don't know much about the Saito 220 but the 180's not going to do it, you're going to need more power than that for this bird.