Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Where have the builders gone?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Where have the builders gone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 06:01 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Where have the builders gone?

Bill same great wishes to you , I will go have a look . This may be up your alley , but I am going to take an old "Hal Debolt " live wire champ wing that was left from the plane that I built with my dad . He passed about three years ago . I want to take that wing , strip , tweek and die the wood and built a fun scale ww1 type plane with an open box fuse . I have a old frame from the RCM plans "blue max " , the rear frame is all open , I going to stain them add a cool round cowl ect .
Have a great holiday and a very safe new year
Lou
Old 12-23-2006, 06:12 AM
LDM

Bill , I just went to see your plane , I wanted to take the time and scroll thru the process . All I can say is wow . I love the stick build-up and light weight appearance during the build . Its a shame to cover such a structure . I did see the finished red with gold trim looks awesome , when do you plan on the maiden ?

You definlity have some great building skills , have a great holiday and enjoy the plane !!!
Old 12-26-2006, 12:49 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Many of us have a few days off for the Christmas Holidays....so what are you building????
Old 12-26-2006, 01:18 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

doing a few more steps on my TF P-47 build and assembling my Hangar9 P-51 I got myself for Xmas, while its raining, and hanging with my sons and there pile of toys.
its a all out toy fest for us boys
Old 12-26-2006, 04:19 AM
dubd

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

I suppose that's an accurate assessment. We all seem to try and protect our turf, A parallel to your Mini Cooper experience, can also be found with the few that still own a true Cobra. There are tons of replica's out there, and these guys also try to get in on the fun with the guys who own the Real cars. Same with the other musclecars. I still own a couple of unrestored originals, and both are in survivor condition. I would restore them, but I think that they would lose something in the process.

I sure hope that you are right about the new guys learning to build. I just don't see much interest in it yet. Personally, I can't understand why they would not want to build something rather than just buying it. There is so much personal satisfaction in being able to do what so many others either can't or won't do. Best of all, you don't have to worry about seeing 10 clones of yours at the field.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

I would love to build if time wasn't an issue. I have a demanding job/career, working on an advance degree, plus I am married. This leaves little time to fly let alone build. If it weren't for ARFs I would not be in this hobby. As much as I like "assembling" ARFs, I like flying more and I would much rather spend my time flying than building/assembling. When I'm retired I'll scratch build a plane or build a kit. If someone can tell me how to find time to build from a kit while working 60-80 hrs a week, go to school, exercise, and be married, I am all ears.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:22 AM
LDM

Hey Riot gear , welcome to the post , your life sounds like mine to a tee lol .
The only exception is that you live in San Jose , I dont think I would ever be inside if I lived in that area . I get there for business about 4 times a year , love sheldone hobbies just to pass some time and pick up those rare hard to find items . He has a great amount of parts from MAC industrys , good stuff for weird engine muffler turns ect .

Tailskid , I am working on a seafury bash still , trying to fix the engine area and making a clean exit for my muffler without cutting the cowl . I need to order a 90degree bend for a saito 125 , so that the muffler will stay inside the large cowl , then I will make scale exaust tubes out of plastic and place them in the scale location . This will allow mu muffler exaust to exit the plane in a scale loaction but only on one side .

Also received a CMP spitifire from Misses Santa and my two elves , plus a saito 125 , so that will be a project scheduled for fall 2007 , My cmp P40 will be next .
Old 12-26-2006, 06:53 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Riot Gear,

I hope that you didn't read my post as a put down. I'm not in College any longer (that was nearly 40 years ago) But I have a wonderful wife, 5 kids, and 8 Grandkids, plus a job that requires my presence for about 70 hours per week, so You are preaching to the choir here. I set aside a little time each day for building, and my family supports this time. Everyone needs a little time to decompress. Best of luck to you, I'll be out on the west coast in March (youngest Daughters wedding in Ojai) Keep em' flying.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-26-2006, 07:06 AM
LDM

Bill , the Waco looks great , have a great new year !!!!!
Old 12-26-2006, 05:19 PM
wingman371

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there Gents. I started this post and am inspired by the replies. I myself am Diviorced and My daughter lives with her mother, this gives me ample time to build. I wish the rest of you had the time, the rewards are many. For those of you that do have family at home: they deserve your time and if an arf keeps you flying the that makes our sport/hobby a better activity to be in. I wish i could fly with each and every one of you. Who knows maybe I will get the chance to fly with the quality of people I see in here. I have also enjoyed the spirited discussions in this post. Like politics it can get heated LOL. Currently I am building nothing, I have started lining up kits and even and arf at home back in the states. Many more to go before I rotate back to the world.

So Far Two Evo 45's, 1 Saito 1.00, A new fangled spektrum radio, a Seagull Dual Ace and an Aviomodelli Piper Arrow are at the house just waiting patiently. On the burner to come will be two RCv .58-cd 1 RCV .91-cd and a set of new Sierra precision retracks to finish off the Skyshark F6F thats been in the box a while (so long in fact it was from Heritage RC). I figure on picking up a Telemaster .60 from hobby lobby to ease back into flying after the little vacation the army has put me on. OK now I am rambling. Y'all take care and keep em in the air.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:22 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

unfortunately I have heard from some club members that Sheldon's is selling out there stock,lots of great deals there, not sure if there moving locations or going out of business getting harder and harder to keep a shop open these days.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:34 PM
LDM

Oh that is a shame , they always had that hard to find stuff and it was always loaded .
I made my first trip there a few years back and I noticed Pica kits all over the place , 1/5 scale , 1/6 scale warbirds ect . I bought a 1/6 scale Pica P40 for $189 , they had the 1/5 for $209 , they had the wacos , the Spits , the P51 , boy was i stupid !!!
I also came back on this site and blasted my findinds the next time I went in the guy said they had a run on them lol sold them all , did not know why but there was a big demand !!![X(]ohhhh the power of RCU have a great year and I hope that shledons is not going out
Old 12-26-2006, 06:15 PM
saramos

Just checked their website. They're advertising a 40% off moving sale.

Scott
Old 12-26-2006, 06:39 PM
dubd

LDM, I try and spend as much time outside as I can. I love the fact that I can fly 90% of the year!

Stickbuilder, no , I did not take your post as a put down. I was just responding to the building vs buying comment. The time I that I could use to build I spend in front of the simulator practicing IMAC sequences and 3D maneuvers. I hope to build a giant scale P-40 soon.

wingman371, my wife is in Balad. She's a nurse in the USAF Reserve. These planes keep my busy while she is gone. God speed to you!
Old 12-26-2006, 07:07 PM
Larry S
My Feedback: (6)

I myself am Diviorced and My daughter lives with her mother, this gives me ample time to build.
So what's the problem, get married and screw up your building time like the majority of us have. But I will admit I am also divorce but living with someone but still the same. "What did you order NOW" "You spend to much time in your shop" "What, you going flying AGAIN with those bums"? "Don't they have families to go to" I think it's about time to CA her lips together.

If someone can tell me how to find time to build from a kit while working 60-80 hrs a week, go to school, exercise, and be married, I am all ears.
Here's how to do it from someone who has.

Forget the exercise, you won't fit in with the rest of us fat butts at the field and our wifes and girlfriends might leave us for some mussle bound flyer. They're already pissed we spend to much time away from them.
Forget school, if you can read kit directions, you're smart enough.
Now this I did do, I worked shift work at a power plant where my responsibility was to monitor gauges for our boilers. That was it, sit and watch gauges so I had a locker in the boiler room with all my building stuff and I would build planes at the desk while doing my job. The Chief Engineer knew I did it and he didn't care as long as I was at my post. Find one of those jobs and you'll be turning out planes right and left. This did happen, one night I had an engine mounted in a vise to run and it came loose, went up and through a sky light. Had to explain that the next morning. lolol
Larry
Old 12-29-2006, 01:38 AM
tbuddingh

I am building a Top Flight P-51 for a friend. I get more enjoyment out of the building than the flying/driving of rc models.

Those of you without time, can try finding somebody like myself to build them for you.

Just be patient. I have a wife, a job that keeps me out of town for weeks at a time, and a hunny-do list to take care of too.

But it is great to be shaping and building when the time allows.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:13 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Shakes my head ,i'm very thankfull I have a wife that knows just how much I enjoy the hobby and has always encouraged me in every aspect of it .Which can be her buying new Kits,Engines anything that has to do with RC aircraft. In fact she has bought over half of my hanger of planes and acessorys. She goes flying with me also especially if I have a new plane to maiden, she's watched the work and assembley thats went into it.

All I can say is I feel for you guys whos wifes don't support your hobby,it could be tons more fun if they did.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:40 PM
TVTECH
My Feedback: (1)

The orginal post said that he had a Byron Christen Husky, I have aquired a husky and I am confused how the fuel tank is mounted, it appears to mount sideways, is there a special way the clunk is installed in the plane? Please contact me at [email protected] Thank you Allen
Old 11-26-2014, 04:28 PM
Karp050555

Here's a builder. check out my thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...ith-camel.html
Old 01-25-2015, 04:50 PM
Karp050555

Hey U Guiz! Come check out my latest rebuild thread

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/cras...l#post11969109
Old 01-26-2015, 03:11 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

interesting looking back over this thread and people I have not spoken to in years.

Life has certainly changed over those years and hope all have completed projects. Many I know have moved out of the hobby for whatever reason.

One thing is for certain as we age life speeds up at an expotential rate, days turn to months turn to years. Little girls are now adults in their mid 20s, little Mr Mischief who used to walk under my workbench is nearly 13, not that I'm allowed to see him by his Jo Ho mother but that is another story.

My one constant in life has been my hobby, relationships and careers have come, flourished and waned but I always come back to my building bench and potter away.

Whether it is a scratch built model or an ARF held together by your cheque book it is still a model you have put some effort and part of your soul into.

End of the day as long as it puts a smile on your face who cares what it is , how you got it or what your paid for it.

QED.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:53 PM
LDM

Pete
I am one those people , we have not spoken in a few years buddy !!
My boys are also grown , one on his own and one in college .
I have many ARF to bash but also going to build some old Top Flight kits , I realized how much I love to build , even more then flying !
Old 01-26-2015, 06:26 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

hey Lou,
good to see you again mate. you should be proud of your offfspring and yourself for raising them into men. good job!

How is life going? All good I hope? I red with interest the politics going on over there and the porous borders and shudder. At least we have a huge moat!

My 47 is ready to paint but weather has prevented that, far too humid. Hoping around Easter time the humidity will drop so I can paint and finish it.

I have a TF kit to do too, one I picked up in 96 on my first trip to the US while I was in Tx, Beaumont actually visting a rather buxom red headed teaxas gal. Yeaa hah y'all.

Anyway I got the TF Cessna 182, a OS FS91, all the lighting kits from MARS, Robart front oleo strut and it has sat ever since. Tthe Os FS91 is now in my Astrohog but I have an OS FS120 II to put in it that came out of my old crashed TF P40.

Have the 1/4 SIG Cub to repair and a new wing for my Vaily Seafury to build then it will be time to build that little Cessna. Like you I love building. All i seem to do of late is repairs which suck.

I'd love to get the H9 Corsair and do a ARF kit bash but $$$ are tight and have loads of other projects I can build anyway so will resist temptation for a bit.

Have only recently devled into the world of sparkies which is odd given my background is electronic engineering! Have the HK 90mm EDF Vampire, its about 1200mm span and about 4kg in weight.

Got the FMS 1700mm F4U Corsair foamie at Christmas and it is a nice model, enjoy flying it though the retracts are rubbish on it.

Would like to get the FMS 1700mm P51 too.

cheers
Peter