Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Where have the builders gone?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Where have the builders gone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 05:54 PM
wingman371

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where have the builders gone?

I see from allot of these post here everyone is building ARF'S (BARF'S). I also see that allot of these planes having to be basically "rebuilt" before they even get the engines put in. IE reenforcing the firewall, gull wings etc. Do you think by building all these problems would be mute? Sure ARF'S are all well and good for sport applications and such, I have had some myself and will probably get more. When it comes to having a quality no hassle plane there is no such assurance as building your own and knowing for sure what measures you have taken to ensure the plane's safety and reliabilty. Not to mention you could be the only one at the field with a particular airplane. Thats just my two words.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:07 PM
lownloud

Default RE: Where have the builders gone?

its not the builders that's gone its the time.
where is all the time?

I wish I could build planes all day. I'd build the best one you ever saw. I unfortunately have kids and a wife and a job and, and, and,...
I just finished the giant H9 P-47 in 15 hours. I couldnt kit build the tail group of that plane that fast.

looks pretty damn good too. Good enough anyways.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:18 PM
P-40 DRIVER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still build my planes, and I agree with both of you. The other problem is cost. It just plain costs more to build then to buy an arf these day. I will have alot more money in TF P-40 then if I bought an ARF warbird but I will have a better plane in the end to.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:36 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tons of builders at rcscalebuilder.com
Old 11-10-2006, 07:18 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Me to , love to build no time , I even built Gullow planes for god sake lol , now I just bash the arfs , have my kits put aside until I am done building the most important thing in my life ---my kids life .
Old 11-10-2006, 07:42 PM
wingman371

gullows, Didn't you just love the tissue paper, I am much better with glass you can get messier, LOL. I understand Family always comes first. I reckon if I was still married I would have less time on my hands. Of course right now I have no time as building where I am is pretty much not going to happen. I may get a cockpit kit or two for projects waiting patiently for me back home just to have something to do besides read and watch movies. I have started planning my next 2 year build and have started getting supplies for it. I hope it doesn't actually take me two years. Love the post's keep em comming.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:43 PM
oceansfiftyseven

Where are the builders? I'm still buiding. I've heard alot more excuses than I have met actual plane builders. I think everyone who flies RC should build at least one plane. It is a great learning experience.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:18 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

I would say I own 50% ARF's to kit's I have to join the consensus that if I had endless time to build I wouldn't own any ARF's. that said my kids are the best thing in my life and if I am going to fly the planes I would like to then ARF's have given me that.
I would add that I consider myself a builder and I enjoy the construction and the final results of my labor and time.
some like that aspect of the hobby some don't, on my kit projects I like to individualize each model and my arf's there for flying and I don't get to attached to them just enjoy having em and the fact that I didn't spend hundreds of hours to get a decent flying model.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:32 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

I'm not a Kit Person, I built a few Gullow planes and Top Flight in my time, but I prefer to have most of the work done for me when it comes to buying small planes. There are many people in that same category as myself, that's why there is such a big market for ARF, ARC and PNP's. I had one Goldberg Eagle that was a kit, I didn't love it more than any other ARF I had. It hurts just as bad if I were to crash any of them. That's just me.

It seems I've been seeing a lot of Kit verses ARF Forums. It never solves anything, nor does it change anyones preference... so it seems. So I wonder this people, why bother?

Peter Dowling aka Luftwaffe Oberst
AMA District II # 865404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
Old 11-10-2006, 09:12 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Peter it seems that there are more people like you entering the hobby they want to buy and fly, nothing wrong with it, it's a sign of the times.
the debate is good it allows the newer entry's into the hobby to see that there is more than instant gratification in this activity, and the construction of models is part of this hobby also.
personally it seems like the builders are the old school guys and the ARFers are the new school. even though I have only been back into the hobby for 4 years I will always consider myself a old school guy, when I started playing with planes before my teens there were only kits, but for a few expensive examples to be had, building was "the only way to fly" and you were judged at the field by your constructed offering compared to the other flyer's. it's hard to compare two identical looking arfs.
now that's old school
Old 11-10-2006, 09:17 PM
bullet65

its the time we do not have anymore.job and highschool daughters so i would rather fly than build.but i as many of you do dream,that is why we come here and to rcscalebuiler to dream.
lownload you might want to reword that post incase the misses reads it.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:25 PM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Hi folks I have to admit i'm a builder at heart and although a few of my planes are ARF's the majority of them I have built from a kit or from scratch.Has anyone looked at tower lately to see the kits they now offer ,its slim picking .[]

Sig and others still has a fair assortment to choose from ,but even they are getting smaller as the ARF trend is taking over .I can understand folks not having the time ,but what did these same folk do years back when a ARF wasn't heard of ????
I do think a ARF can get a person thats interested in the air quick but sometimes this isn't always a good thing .A beginner doesn't know about firewalls and landing gear plates and so on and can be a accident waiting to happen .

I will say this after adding up what I had in my last 28% plane allot of the arfs are looking good money wise .
If theres a plane I want and Its no longer available in a kit form ,theres kit cutters out there that will do about anything you want ,but its at a price.
Anyway happy flying no matter what ya fly its all fun .
Old 11-10-2006, 09:49 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Very true, I'm 40 years young and remember those days, ARF wasn't a issue then. I was playing with the Cox P-40 and Zero CL planes then. I used to hear the radio control planes flying 5 miles from my house, and if they flew high enough... I could see them.

When ever they started flying, I used to run the 5 miles to see them up close. One of the adults called me over to hold his plane while he preformed his fine tuning on his engine. I still remember the sights, smells and sounds of that day... and that was the day I wanted to fly the full size planes. That was back in the 1974 as I recall.

I started flying the large scale planes at 12, I used to wash and wax airplanes to pay for my lessons. When I turned 16 I got my FAA Physical, and I soloed in a Cessna 150 about a couple of days after that. When I turned 17, I was allowed to fly my instructors friends 1947 J-3 Cub. Of all the planes I've flown, the J-3 Cub was the most fun to fly... other than the 1938 Taylorcraft I once got my hands on.[>:]

During the years of me flying the bigger planes, I would see the Duanesburg or Schenectady, NY R/C Clubs fly there planes, and I always found my way over to them to introduce myself.

So when I do see a little boy or girl come over to watch me fly, I try to get them involved in hopes that they would fall in love with flight like I did.

Sorry to get off the subject, but in the back of my mind... I thought about getting plans and making a German Warbird from Scratch. But for right now, I like the ARF's and PNP's because with most ARF's other than CMP... I know I'll have a new plane ready for flight season. It only takes a few hours or days to have my planes ready. I do like that!

Now I have 2 years of Club flying under my belt, now I'm in trouble... my wallet is always empty!

Anyone know where I can find a can of striped paint for my Fokker DVII? If you guys can find me any let me know.

Happy Vets Day, On both sides of the Ocean!

AMA District II # 865404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
Old 11-10-2006, 09:56 PM
bridog
My Feedback: (7)

I agree It's mucher nicer to have a plane that no one else has...
It does cost much more to build but then again when you build you don't have to buy everything at once either Not like you can build em over night like an ARF...
Time is hard to find if you have a family like me and many of you But they know where the garage is..
with my work schedule it's hard for me to find time to fly during daylight hours so building at night keeps me going
I have around 13 planes or so and only 2 are ARF's
in fact I have 3 I'm building now
TF p-47
TF corsair
and a 1/5th scale pica 182 which by the way Takes forever!
Old 11-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

time is the killer with me, hence nearly 18months on a TF GS P47 and still not done. An hour here and there plus tired from work or family stuff leaves little time for a hobby[]
Old 11-10-2006, 10:08 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Yea, responsibility stinks sometimes! I got married 5 years ago and now I have less time on my hands as well. I hate looking at a plane on my table for more than 3 months. I start losing my patience in getting it to the field. I guess I still have more discipline to practice with this great hobby of ours. Will it get better when I have 5 years in the club? Who knows.

AMA District II # 865404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
Old 11-10-2006, 10:42 PM
Ed

I don't know about the "I don't have enough time to build" excuse ? If ARF's weren't available as an option, you would be forced to build, and if you couldn't accept that, then you just wouldn't be in the hobby. You would be back playing with your X Box, or pursuing something else that was easy. If more people were forced to build, they might learn how to slow down, learn a craft, how to relax, and learn how to enjoy life more.

I assembled an out of the box ARF about 4 years ago. It resulted in zero satisfaction. And when one of the two flap servos failed on approach one day, and it crashed, I thanked God for little favors. I have never gone back to ARF's. I have concluded that, if I can't build a flying machine with my own two hands, then the hobby isn't worth being in. I need the craft in my life. Every life needs challenge, and there is no challenge in being Easy.

Here's a question that ought to open a can of worms ....... Since the advent of ARF's, have you noticed a different type of person now participating in the hobby ? Good, or bad ?

> Jim
Old 11-10-2006, 10:45 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Hi Peter,
yes tell me about it though but becoming single again so time may no longer be a factor but $ certainly will be.

yes happy Vets day, we have 2 over here. ANZAC day on April 25th, and Rememberance day which is 11 Nov and we are supposed to remember on the 11th hour, of the 11th day of the 11th Month.

To those who have fallen . . .

cheers
Peter
Old 11-10-2006, 10:48 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

very much different people involved, maybe not so much in the warbird or scale aircraft scene but I now see all these impatient "got to have it now" "got to be able to fly now" types.

Narcissism seems rampant [:'(]

building models of any type is about patience. There is none of that anymore. Bet those type are not interested in fishing either!!
Old 11-10-2006, 10:58 PM
extratorker
My Feedback: (8)

The thing I don't understand is this idea that people who do not build kits are somehow bad for the hobby, it's even implicated in this thread. What gives someone the right to judge others because they don't enjoy the hobby in the same way? I built kits for many,many years before ARF's started to actually gain in their quality. Sure, I could still build from a kit if I chose to, but instead I enjoy being able to assemble something, get it in the air within the same week of purchase and fly the wings off of it. Now when I do pile something in, I'm not depressed for an extended period, all I've lost is a monetary investment and not a time plus monetary invest as with a kit that took me 6,12 or more months to build.

So instead of looking at people in this hobby who enjoy ARF's with a raised eyebrow, try to be a little understanding as to why they chose the route they did. At the end of the day, we're all out at the field for one reason, to enjoy our hobby and the comaradrie that can be found with it.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:08 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Well said Pete Been building seance I was 6 and now they tell me I am as old as dirt, but I still love to build, it make for great relaxation.

Cheers
Old 11-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

the question was: "are we seeing different types of people in the hobby now?"

A: yes we are, the hobbu is radically difffrerent with people who 20 years ago would not have got into the hobby simply because they had to build. Be it no skills, expreience or patience. Whatever. There is different people now.

and there is a marked degradation in building skills. Most newcomers have no idea on how to build. Most modellers who started as a kid like I did made chuck gliders out of balsa to our own desgn, then went on to rubber band powered types such as Gulliows used to make. Then if we were lucky we delivered a zillion newspapers and were able to buy our first control line plane that we have to build from a pile of sticks etc.

We then progressed to R/C and built and learned along the way, normally we were mentored in the art of building and in the skills of actually flying what we have created.

To sit down and turn a pile of sticks into a beautiful model, be it a traner of a turbine jet is a pleasure to behold and gives utmose satisfaction.

most modellors now miss that. If they break an ARF it goes in the bin, the credit card is out and they are back flying next day.

kids in particualr these days need to be taught patience and skills beyond killing things on their playstations or PCs.

older modellers should take the time to learn to build. a) it will give them valuable skills, b) will reduce their stress and blood pressure levels as it is so relaxing and c) will teach them some valuable life skills in the process.

By the way no one said ARF flyers were bad for the hobby. Some simply need to learn a little patience instead of the current instant gratification trend that rules society, and not just in our hobby.

The Chinese have a very profound proverb. "Slowly, slowly catchee monkey"

Old 11-10-2006, 11:15 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: GeeBeeJim

I don't know about the "I don't have enough time to build" excuse ? If ARF's weren't available as an option, you would be forced to build, and if you couldn't accept that, then you just wouldn't be in the hobby. You would be back playing video games, or pursuing something else that was easy. If more people were forced to build, they might learn how to slow down, learn a craft, how to relax, and learn how to enjoy life more.

I assembled an out of the box ARF about 4 years ago. It resulted in zero satisfaction. And when one of the two flap servos failed on approach one day, and it crashed, I thanked God for little favors. I have never gone back to ARF's. I have concluded that, if I can't build a flying machine with my own two hands, then the hobby isn't worth being in. I need the craft in my life. There is no challenge in being Easy.

Here's a question that ought to open a can of worms ....... Since the advent of ARF's, have you noticed a different type of person now participating in the hobby ? Good, or bad ?

> Jim

I guess it's like this. Why should I make my own butter and ice cream, when I can just go to the store and just buy it? The real Old days of this Hobby you had to build your own Transmitter. People stopped making there own radio's when someone got smart and decided to manufacture them. It was much easier... and at times safer, to buy them. Just put the batteries in and go play.

More people are in this great hobby because of affordability and ARF's, RTF, and PnP's. So naturally we would see more people from different backgrounds. This Hobby isn't for just the rich anymore, and that's the way it should be. JMO

I've seen people build there ARF Warbirds very realistic looking after major modifications. I've been fooled a few times when I thought it was a kit.

Jim, if you want to build just Kits... God Bless you! I never built any of the full size planes I flew, although I did help restore a J-3 for FAA inspection. I know how to build planes, not sure if I want to fly it afterward.

I think the ARF industry started when people like you started making money by selling your old planes to other people to make room to build more. Someone got smart and started the ARF, RTF, ARC industry. I'm guessing at that... but it makes sense.

So yes, if some of us didn't have time to build, and there were no ARF's... we would pay people like you to build for us. The high paying jobs is getting fewer in the United States, so we have to work more hours and pay for our own medical insurance. Yes... we all have plenty of time in the land of plenty... just ask Beaver.

I never met a rude member at our club, we all like airplanes... no matter what we fly, as long as it flys.

AMA District II # 865404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY

Old 11-10-2006, 11:25 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

rich? Gees I rode my bike all over town delivering newspapers as a kid and hoarded my pocket money to be able to afford my hobby. My parents could not afford to simply buy me the parts required. It had to be earned the hard way. Still does.

Now I work full time and have a part time e.Commerce business to be able to afford to buy what I need to be in the hobby. We drive a 12 year old 4wd, have a very modest little house and while we are both professionals we do not get paid super high salaries. Cost of living is very high here. The part time e.Corrence venture does not cover the cost of the hobby but does help to offset the burden on family budgets.

I don't think the hobby was ever the domain of the rich. The exception is probably the jet turbine guys as the cost of these setups is phenomenol. Gawd even if I could afford it I would be too nervous to launch $20k into the air!
Old 11-10-2006, 11:31 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: Peter_OZ

the question was: "are we seeing different types of people in the hobby now?"

A: yes we are, the hobbu is radically difffrerent with people who 20 years ago would not have got into the hobby simply because they had to build. Be it no skills, expreience or patience. Whatever. There is different people now.

and there is a marked degradation in building skills. Most newcomers have no idea on how to build. Most modellers who started as a kid like I did made chuck gliders out of balsa to our own desgn, then went on to rubber band powered types such as Gulliows used to make. Then if we were lucky we delivered a zillion newspapers and were able to buy our first control line plane that we have to build from a pile of sticks etc.

We then progressed to R/C and built and learned along the way, normally we were mentored in the art of building and in the skills of actually flying what we have created.

To sit down and turn a pile of sticks into a beautiful model, be it a traner of a turbine jet is a pleasure to behold and gives utmose satisfaction.

most modellors now miss that. If they break an ARF it goes in the bin, the credit card is out and they are back flying next day.

kids in particualr these days need to be taught patience and skills beyond killing things on their playstations or PCs.

older modellers should take the time to learn to build. a) it will give them valuable skills, b) will reduce their stress and blood pressure levels as it is so relaxing and c) will teach them some valuable life skills in the process.

By the way no one said ARF flyers were bad for the hobby. Some simply need to learn a little patience instead of the current instant gratification trend that rules society, and not just in our hobby.

The Chinese have a very profound proverb. "Slowly, slowly catchee monkey"

I love to fish... and some times I like to sit at the table and watch the birds eat out of our bird feeder. My wife is teaching me patience... believe me Pete.

Pete from Down Under, You said it perfectly what I just quoted from you. Sorry to hear you are going to be alone, don't worry...some Lady will eventually take you home and brush the dust off. It's going to be hard for a while, I guess life is just one big class room, and our Higher Power is our teacher. Every girl loves a pilot... you'll do fine. Just hang out at the Horse Ranches, women love horses... that's how I met my wife. I fell off a horse at a full gallop. She felt sorry for me and invited me to dinner, and now she's been with me ever since.

AMA District II # 865404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.