Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Hangar 9 P-51D Mustang 150 ARF

dgliderguy,
    IT'S 3 1/2 inches from the opening in the muffler where it bolts up to the motor to the bottom of the muffler. It's only 2 1/2 inches on the motor from where it bolts up to the engine lugs. So, as you can see, I don't know how this muffler would work with this engine in any application. I've got the 51 boxed up and put away for awhile but I will try and get it out this weekend, takes some pics and post them. CAPTAIN RON.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cap'n and deglider... Just got my bisson tonight. Yeah there is no way that thing is gonna fit. I thought after my last post that maybe a radial mount would work, but after looking at the muffler, there's no way. I'm going to e-mail horizon also and find out why they suggest these two engines when the exhaust is such a problem. Anyone have any idea's? Someone out there must have installed either the 26GT or the 35GT in theirs. Gonna start a separate post to see if anyone has anything. Good luck Cap'n.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,
    Just a suggestion. Why don't you guys combine your thread with the other on this Mustang. ?

Cheers,
    MM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Why? Other one is a build thread. This is a discussion. Check and see, same people post on both threads.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

dgliderguy, REINCARNATE,
    Some pics of the Bisson muffler up next to the 35. As you can see, this muffler won't work in any way shape or form. Even if you cut it down for lenth, it's still too wide for the cowling to go down over. I hope these pics come through, it's my first time uploading pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx71064.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	596890   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni24212.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	596891   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pv52908.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	596892  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Captain Ron,

Well, a picture is, indeed, worth a thousand words!

So, the Bisson inverted muffler DOES fit on the engine, and clears the engine mounting lugs. If this were a round-cowl airplane we wouldn't even be talkin' about all of this. The problem here is that the Bisson will require extensive excision of the surrounding wood structure (specifically, the box extension to the nose ring former). And (more importantly) it will protrude by quite a bit outside the cowl and look really horrid. Well, that IS a big problem!

I can see now what the solution is here. Gotta go with the wrap-around muffler after all:
    http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ID=EVO30983400
    and do the necessary surgery to the firewall to clear the muffler can. There will be a lot of material removal, but it looks to me that once done, the muffler will be near fully contained inside the fuselage OML.

Here's a pic (again) of Tailskid's Evo 26GT with the wrap-around Pitts muffler, on his P-47. You can see the rework he did to clear the muffler can. That's what we're talkin' about here. Just gotta MAKE it fit!

Name:	Xv64837.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	598569  
    Glider junkies creed: No glider, no lift, no reason to live.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

dgliderguy, REINCARNATE
    Ok, I chickened out. Horizon emailed me and basically said the same thing. They didn't have any recommendations except to custom make one or modify one or make it fit. Thats not me, I called my lhs and requested a swap of the 35 for a saito 220. He said no problem. Thats where I'm going. I love the Saitos anyway. I just wan't to bolt up and go fly. Ok so I'm gonna have that same old greasy mess to clean up. I'm gonna have to deal with the expense of the more expensive fuel. OK, OK!

CAPTAIN RON.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Deglider...One thing to consider. I had the inverted wrap and saw what would have to be removed. Keep in mind that I'm going with the smaller 26. The part of the firewall that needs removed will get into the ply that forms the floor for the fuel tank by about 1/4" and all the way across. And that's on the smaller 26. Not sure how much further in the 35 will put it. Not trying to scare you off, just FYI. I am going back to the wrap myself on mine. Going to contact Horizon again and see about squaring off the back of the can and brazing on a flat plate instead of removing all that firewall. That is to say instead of the can looking like an "O" it will more resemble a "D". Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Gonna run it by Dar Zeelon on motor forum too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Reincarnate,

Yeah, my only concern is that I will need to encroach on the fuel tank volume in order to clear the muffler. From your description, it sounds like it does, but not by much. Gotta do whatcha gotta do. I'd rather crowd the fuel tank than cut up the muffler can. Keep us posted on your developments with the wrap-around.

Don.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys I have made several raparround pitts style muffler from 1 in steel square tubing. Easy to weld and make it to clear the mount. The last one I made was for a Spitfire with a MVVs 35. I will check and see if I can find a picture. Rich
    Rich

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rich

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rich...What was the size of the plane this was/is on? My concern is lost hp with low muffler volume.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It is on a 1/5 Platt Spit 89 in ws. I check the rpm with a standard muffler and with the one I made I actually gained 200 RPM. It doesen't seem to be anny louder. But we don't have to worry about noise level where we fly. When I cut and drill the holes to fit the motor I put 3/16 steel brake line in where the bolts go through and weld them in place. This keeps from collapsing the sq tubing and the muffler stays tight. Rich
    Rich

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Baldeagle

Guys I have made several raparround pitts style muffler from 1 in steel square tubing. Easy to weld and make it to clear the mount. The last one I made was for a Spitfire with a MVVs 35. I will check and see if I can find a picture. Rich
    Rich,

Nice work! If I were your next-door neighbor, I'd be mowing your lawn while you made me one just like this one!

In the absence of an oxy-acetylene set and a chop saw, I'm forced to schmooze the wood into submission around the Evolution muffler. Wood I can handle!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

dgliderguy Thanks. I wish it was warm enough for the grass to grow. It was 4 deg this morning and got all the way up to 27. Rich
    Rich

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cap'n Ron...Make sure you use a good quality glow driver on that Saito. McDaniel makes some great pulsed drivers, http://sonictronics.com/xcart/customer/home.php?cat=310. Come's on at start and low RPM's or anytime plug cools off. Costly, but great insurance!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Degliderguy.. check post on build thread. Completed firewall rework to accept bisson wrap muffler. Was pretty easy and didn't get into fuel tank area. BIG plus.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi All - I just picked up a used H9 P51, 81", with an Evolution GT 35 installed. The older gentleman I bought it from said it was just TOO fast for him. The plane is in great shape and looks GORGEOUS. Just need to install a receiver and batteries to fly. Just a little concerned that the retracts will be able to stand up to my rough field (dirt and grass). Any comments on the strength of the stock retracts? Any tips for flying or landing this beauty? Thanks.

Name:	Pn35590.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	1648879  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Correction - it's an 80" wing. Also, I'd eventually love to run this plane with a scale 4-blade prop, but my understanding from reading on RCU is that 3 and 4 blade props are less efficient than 2 blade. Is that correct? Would I lose significant thrust with the four-blade setup? I'm thinking if I lose only a small amount of efficiency it might be worth it for the scale look, which I think would be fantastic. Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123