Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 110 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 2,726 to 2,750 of 2847

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Hangar 9 1.50 P-51 Build

Wow! That looks like it'll be a real eye catcher when she's done. Fantastic job. Here's hoping that you can get some hours sooner rather than later. I plan on copying your fuse cradle idea (previous pic) too!

Dan

Hi Guys 
                     Just a little info on what motors go well with the P51.
    I test flew the Mustang this afternoon with a DL 30  fitted in it .
    Boy I am impressed , very easy to start , It  seemed to have more power , climbs out well and is quite fast , .more so than with the FX 160 in it  that I have been using .
    So I am a very Happy Chappy at the moment , very economical a 10 min flight uses about 11 or 12 onces of fuel , I am using an 18 * 12 APC prop , the motor is doing 7650 revs on the ground and winds up well  on high speed runs , I expect more when the motor runs in,so that will be good.
    So hope this info will help those  trying to decide  which motor to fit in it .
    Comments from the guys is that it get very small very quickly .
    Cheers
    Graeme

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Working on getting an RCGF 32cc with pitts in mine..Got tired of horizon trying to fix my Saito 220...The did get it the last time, new bearings (3rd time), new valve and grind the valve seats...It only made like 4 round trips to them..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does anyone have any idea where I can buy one of these? I'm not sure why H9 stopped doing them?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RC Technics

Does anyone have any idea where I can buy one of these? I'm not sure why H9 stopped doing them?
    The funny thing is they still sell ALL the replacement parts for this and the P-47 150.
    Blake

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi RC.

I believe H9 did stop manufacturing these kits a while back. I have a guy that bought one about 1 1/2 years ago and hasn't started on it at all. He has a large collection of RC kits that he has never built. I think he has all the goodies for it too.

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have one and it's got so many hours on it that it's pretty beat up now. I love this plan and wish I could get another. I have a Saito FG-36 in it now and it's great. Not as fast as when it was electric

Using a 19-10 two blade APC and it's great. I was thinking of glassing it since I can't find another one anymore.

Jeff
    Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Winston Churchill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey jmohn.

How is that FG-36 working out for you? Have you had to make any modifications to the engine or adjustments to the engine? Have you made any modifications to the air flow over the engine?

I have heard some guys increasing the air flow thru the engine/cowling area. I have had a couple of guys say, if the engine gets too hot, it just doesn't run very good at all. So, they increased the air flow to the engine. How does she run for you?

Thanks,

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's been running great for me except my electronic ignition went out. Sent it back to Horizon and they replaced it. It doesn't run hot as much of the engine hangs out the cowl. I can fly it for 40 plus minutes before I need to land too

The FG-36 pulls it around nicely and sounds great. I want to stick the motor in my Miko P-47 next, but this plane is such a fun one I may get another for that plane.

I found this out because my throttle servo stopped working with the plane at 2/3 throttle and it took 42 minutes for it to run out of fuel. My thumbs were worn out after that flight. Landed fine dead stick no problem.

I have it sitting since I had to pull the motor out and am considering glassing the whole thing. Great flying air plane!

Jeff
    Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Winston Churchill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's the plane in the electric version:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Da83179.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	1553033  

Winston Churchill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can't find a photo of the gas version, but the engine hangs out about 1.5 inches. The length is perfect and works great with the stock spinner too.

In the air:

Name:	Nl30321.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	1553035  

Winston Churchill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very nice PICS! Great looking shot of her flying! Makes me want to run outside and fly anything right now!

Thanks for the encouragement on the FG-36. Sounds like you are running it stock without modifications.

Thanks,

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is the P-51 Parts List. You can still get all the parts even though it has been "discontinued". Same for the P-47.
    Blake

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yeah they should really bring this one back, as it was an improvement over an earlier version they had too. It flies great. I'd build another one any day.
    My p-51 at San Bernardino PVMAC
    \" To thine own self be true \"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

whoops miss post!
    \" To thine own self be true \"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I'm back on task ... acquiring things for the airplane ... pilot, spinner, muffler, etc. Packages will be showing up this week. Re-reading instructions, notes off this thread etc. I want to get some break in time on the stand for the Evo 40 so making a test stand for that is the actual first build step. Then I'll start hinging ailerons, flaps, stab, and rudder

I still have to make some cockpit detailing decisions ... but I will wait until "Lt George Taylor" arrives!

I'm pretty sure that I'll have HiTec 5645s (645 on flaps) and the JR 791s on the retracts (I fly from a paved field). Will have to review the setups regarding harnesses etc. I'm also contemplating a Futaba 10C radio for 2.4 if the budget will allow, otherwise, it'll be my 9C.

I will also be looking back at reinforcing suggestions ... both retracts and engine compartment! (I will be having a close look at the gear to see if I need to touch up the welds with my TIG!!)

Any comments, suggestions, on the above are welcome.

I did some research on the RealFlight model .. turns out that the power up left turn on take off is non-existent in RF 5.5. I took a set of curves for a Saito 2.20 Golden Knight and added it to the model, tweaked the torque curve WAY up and Frankie still took off straight as an arrow. So I will go back and update weights etc. as I build Frankie and see if we can address the "floatiness" issue. I have been logging a fair number of approaches and I can generally set it down on 2 wheels with minimal or no bouncing. You've gotta love the option (hitting the "P" key) for reset ... just get lined up, hit "P", then when you reset, RF takes you back into the sky where you hit the "P". You can shoot approaches over and over. Throttle control is everything .. it took ,e a while to get the "feel" of where approach throttle should be ... as others have mentioned, somewhere between 25% and 33% works well, and a gradual decline with a final gentle chop when you're 6-12 inches above ground will set it down nicely every time. The key (for me) has been to gauge the approach speed and be sure to have enough speed bled off to that throttle control has primary control of altitude.

Keepin' the thread alive!

Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The gear blocks are solid and you really don't need much work there. I would not use the stock gear mechanism unless you like to land with one gear up and one down

Too many issues with those gear. Get some Robart or Sierra and you will be much happier. The new Eflite electric gear look good too, but they are too small.

I have been using the cheap HT 322s on mine and haven't had any issues. I will go for some better ones after I glass it since that's so much work.

Great plane ! You'll love it !!!

Jeff

Winston Churchill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The stock gear is pretty crappy (beer can material as others have said) and I'm usually a Robart guy but I'm still using the stock gear. Had the welds break a couple of times with free replacements.

Frustrated that my Keleo exhaust keeps coming loose on my Saito 220. Can't remember what the solution was but am about to try Permatex Red gasket maker. Other suggestions? Red Locktite?

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: djstar39

The stock gear is pretty crappy (beer can material as others have said) and I'm usually a Robart guy but I'm still using the stock gear. Had the welds break a couple of times with free replacements.

Frustrated that my Keleo exhaust keeps coming loose on my Saito 220. Can't remember what the solution was but am about to try Permatex Red gasket maker. Other suggestions? Red Locktite?

Dave
    Dave, Jeff and Dan,

Great to see some activity on this thread again!

Stock gear IS crappy but worked for me for a couple of years before I upgraded to Robarts with aluminum wheels. Nice!

As I posted LONG ago, I recommend fiberglass reinforcing the firewall/engine compartment, the gear rails and the wing bolt block. Weakest part of the airframe is the web blocking in the first space between ribs outboard of the spar block. Note that the gear rails are OUTSIDE of that weak area! Eventually did a landing bad enough with Frankie to fracture the wing in this area. Double 1/16" plywood webbing in this rib space, on either side of the spar stringers, fixed this quite well.

I'm on my second (single-pipe, angle exhaust) Keleo. First one self-destructed from the Saito 220 vibrations. Kelvin doesn't offer the angle-pipe version anymore for this reason; stood behind his product, though! No gasket sealer on the planet will hold this angle-pipe version (and maybe the vertical pipe version, too) in place and if you persist trying, the Keleo nut will start to open up your aluminum head threads.

A good RC friend made me a set of triangular exhaust brackets from sheet metal that bolt to the engine mount screws on each side and are brazed to the Keleo cross-pipe! ***** to put on and take off but IT DOES NOT MOVE! I then drilled the Keleo header nut for wire retention (to prevent unscrewing). THEN, I used red, high-temp Permatex on the threads. The exhaust has not given me a peep of trouble since. Don't have a pic of the bracket yet I can post; every time I take off the cowl I forget to get an image of the fix.

Good flying!

Rip
    RC Airplane Glide Distance: Approximately half the distance to the end of the runway.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Rip, great to hear from you! Yeah this Keleo nut backing out is on my last nerve. My first exhaust disintegrated and Kelvin replaced it with one with thicker material. But the nut still comes out. Question on using the wire. Assume you tightened the nut as much as you dare and then did you drill through the nut part all the way through to the other side of the nut? Or were there enough threads left to drill through those (don't think so).

Love the wire idea! Just tired of one or two flights and then having to tighten it. Also don't need the hassle of a possible lean run because of it. Everyone still comes over and comments on the sound it makes.

Thanks!

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: djstar39

Hey Rip, great to hear from you! Yeah this Keleo nut backing out is on my last nerve. My first exhaust disintegrated and Kelvin replaced it with one with thicker material. But the nut still comes out. Question on using the wire. Assume you tightened the nut as much as you dare and then did you drill through the nut part all the way through to the other side of the nut? Or were there enough threads left to drill through those (don't think so).

Love the wire idea! Just tired of one or two flights and then having to tighten it. Also don't need the hassle of a possible lean run because of it. Everyone still comes over and comments on the sound it makes.

Thanks!

Dave
    Dave,

The wire won't help if you don't rigidly mount the cross-pipe to the engine-block using an external bracket that does not flex. The header nut and the single angle brace that are the stock Keleo attachment points can't handle the oscillation/vibration induced by the big 220 cylinder.

You drill the header nut hole thru two adjacent faces on the hex side. Use a drill press and a brand new, carbide 3/32" drill bit. A short ways from the hex angle intersection drill a shallow (~1/16") pilot hole PERPENDICULAR to the hex surface (otherwise the drill bit deflects). Do this on either side of the "hex point." Then, using these pilot holes, you can then drill at a shallow angle thru (under) the hex point and connect the pilot holes. Attached is a graphic showing where to drill (solid arrows show pilot hole location) then clamp it carefully for drilling at the angle that is "hole-to-hole" (dashed line). Remember, even if you wire the nut tightly closed, something will still give mechanically (eg, aluminum threaded head) if you don't externally brace the cross-pipe.

And yes, nothing sounds like a well-tuned 220 sporting a Keleo when it's ripping down the runway!!

Rip

Name:	Tr49331.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	1608479  
    RC Airplane Glide Distance: Approximately half the distance to the end of the runway.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You know, that might have been a 1/16" drill bit, I forget. You can tell which one works better with the width of the hex face...

Rip

Well guys,      After having so much success with the P51 using Robarts and a DLE 30  for power , I picked up another kit a few days ago   as a spare, (bit lucky there ) while I refurbish the old Frankie  which is looking a little tired after hundreds of flights .
    I highly reccomend the DL30   for power ,trouble free ,pulls the model up into big sky manoevers, very quick model at full power using an 18 * 12 prop , reading 7800 revs on the ground

Cheers
    Graeme

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Rip n Bank

You know, that might have been a 1/16'' drill bit, I forget. You can tell which one works better with the width of the hex face...

Rip
    Rip,

I used 1/16" and drilled the hole yesterday. Now I have to find some wire to use. How did you tie the wire off? Or what did you attach the other end of the wire to to keep it from backing out? I know there is a VERY simple answer to this that is probably VERY obvious. [>:]

Dave