Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Old Top Flite P47

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 04:06 PM
Black Drape

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Top Flite P47

Hey Guys,

I am finishing up an old Top Flite P47 (yellow box with molded balsa fusalage sides), and I need some advice. The kit comes with hard wood motor mounts, and there is no mention of how the engine is to be mounted. The beams are wide and to close together on the outside of the firewall to mount the engine, so they need to be cut back in order for the engine to fit between them. The catch is, is that there is no mention of side thrust on the plans or in the manual. Should I add some right thrust or mount the engine straight ahead.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had any experience wirh this plane.
Thanks
Ron
Old 12-17-2006, 08:26 PM
Hurri

Default RE: Old Top Flite P47

HI black drape --- I seem to remember the kit orig; had a 60-2/s , Usually 2 degrees of right is the norm; you should [if the wood mount is already in] be able to cut it inside for the eng; to fit , if not in I would use a fibre mount , give you more room in the cowl etc . Good flying aeroplane !
Old 01-17-2010, 01:01 AM
glasair72
My Feedback: (1)

Boy am I glad I finally found someone who had a yellow box kit. I just started to build one and ran into a snag with the trailing edge wedge. the book says that it's 5/8" by 1/4". Yet the balsa wedge measured 5/8 by 1/2". Which is right and if it's suppose to be 1/4" should I just cut it down to size? I haven't started glueing yet, I don't want to make a mistake on this seeing as it's my first warbird kit and an old one at that. I called TF and nobody there knew anything about it. I assume that this is for the washout!! Hope you can help.

Also curious if you used fiberglass on the covering or Mono. What was your wgt. all finsihed?

Ron
Old 01-17-2010, 04:15 PM
Hurri

Was along -long time ago when i had mine . the wedge you mention is to give washout? the drawing should show where it lays under the trailing edge of the wing , should give about 2 degrees washout on tips . You could cover the wings either way , Th pastic monocote or similar will be lighter for the weight , but the f/glass cloth & resin will give a better dureable finish .jsut mkae sure you can get as much surplus off as you can . Read up on the method someplace . weight ? shouldn't be more than 9 lbs max i would think .
Old 01-17-2010, 09:28 PM
glasair72
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks Hurri for the info. I want to do a camo paint, so the glass is the best way to go. I've done a lot of glass work, built 3 fullisze Glasair's in the past. Been retired from all the smell.

Happy Hunting,