Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Col Francis "Gabby" Gabreski - Honor Flight!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Col Francis "Gabby" Gabreski - Honor Flight!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 06:59 PM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Col Francis "Gabby" Gabreski - Honor Flight!

I know this probably isn't the most applicable place for this post, but I do know a lot of people have built P-47's modelled after his mount from WWII. I know that a lot of pople in the Warbirds arena will know who he is and appreciate this post.

So enough from me, go have a look at this site:

http://www.aafo.com/library/mil/gabreski/
Old 02-10-2002, 10:40 PM
Taildragger
My Feedback: (204)

Thanks Maverick! I wasn't aware that he had died. I've read several stories of his air battles in WWII. Still got a couple books that contain some stuff I think. I'll have to do some digging. A true hero. It's too bad the passing of a great american doesn't get get any press. OH Well, Keep it Flyin Gabby!
Old 02-11-2002, 01:13 AM
LDaba
My Feedback: (2)

I am saddened to hear of Gabby's passing. I had the honor, and I mean honor, of meeting him at an airshow a few years back. He is an American Hero. I purchased his book and found it thoroughly enjoyable and insightful.
Happy landings Gabby.

Happy landings Tony
Old 02-11-2002, 03:27 AM
Jack Devine
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flyby

That is surly the most appropriate way of saying good bye to a true American hero. I never had the pleasure of meeting him but I have read every book I could find about him. He was and always will be an aviator's aviator. Goods speed Col. Gabreski!
Old 02-20-2002, 01:36 AM
Auger Din

After reading the post about "Required WWII Reading" I pulled out my dog eared copy of Gabby's book and reread it. Once again I couldn't put it down and finished it in two days.

What a hero he was, he will certainly be missed. Though he has gone to his reward and to join the sqadrons of his buddies that passed before him, I just wish that I had the chance to meet him as I did Greg Boyington before his passing.

Clear skies fellas.....
Old 02-20-2002, 03:01 AM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Originally posted by Auger Din
After reading the post about "Required WWII Reading" I pulled out my dog eared copy of Gabby's book and reread it. Once again I couldn't put it down and finished it in two days.
Does anybody have any idea where to get this book? It is out of print and seems to be very hard to track down. I desperately want to get a copy to read. Anybody have one they want to part with?
Old 02-20-2002, 04:50 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few years ago at the Hawthorne air show Mr. Gabreski was the Guest of Honor.

I pointed out to my friend that this was the highest ranking living ace in the US. He quickly ran and purchased a book that had Mr. Gabreskis' picture with him in his P47's cockpit.

By the time he returned, Mr. Gabreski along with his wife had entered the Northrop van that had brought them.

My freind broke through the security barriers and jump into the van via the side door. He asked Mr. Gabreski to sign his book, my Friend failed to take a pen with him,he asked Mr. Gabreski if he had one. Mr. Gabreski asked his wife for a pen and signed the book and shook my friends hand.

I was petrified and couldn,t approach him. My loss.

I have a Trudjian limited print with this true Heros signature along with the seeing him in person.
Old 03-01-2002, 02:36 AM
blacksheep
My Feedback: (1)

Default Re: Col Francis "Gabby" Gabreski - Honor Flight!

Originally posted by maverick
I know this probably isn't the most applicable place for this post, but I do know a lot of people have built P-47's modelled after his mount from WWII. I know that a lot of pople in the Warbirds arena will know who he is and appreciate this post.

So enough from me, go have a look at this site:

http://www.aafo.com/library/mil/gabreski/
Old 03-01-2002, 02:46 AM
blacksheep

This great man has passed from us and sadly we say goodbye. A man of Faith, Gabby misssed his dear wife who had gone before him and he must now be with her and his God.

I was fortunate to shake his hand and get him to sign my copy of his book in Oshkosh in '94. He was one of the great hunters in the sky, and a true gentleman.

A man of duty he helped put an end to two tragic wars. He is truly deserving of our honor.
Old 03-01-2002, 03:34 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'M GLAD I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO HOLDS OWR VETERANS IN HIGH HONOR. I TELL MY KIDS ,EVERYDAY IN OWR HOME IS VETERANS DAY . I MAKE SURE THEY KNOW HOW THINGS WERE BACK THEN . HOW MANY HERE CAN SAY THEY DID OR WOULD RUN TOWARDS A BLAZING GUN POINTED AT YOU TO KILL YOU ? I THINK I WOULD HAVE A HARD TIME DOING THAT! DON'T FORGET ANY OF OWR VETS. GABBY WAS A TRUE HERO. FLAPS UP AND GEAR UP BUDDY
Old 03-01-2002, 03:49 PM
blacksheep

"Remember Pearl Harbor" underneath a skull with flight helmet and mask, was the caption across a tatoo on the stomach of a woodsman I worked for in my youth. The details were stunning and I have never forgotten that death mask.

Sadly though our nation forgot and again fell into the same malaise that obtained before Pearl, and the result was the same: Sneak Attack on NYC on 9/11/01!

As on that previous "Day of Infamy" our heros stepped forward and did their duty. God bless them all...

The greatness of this nation depends on such heros. God help us when they are gone or ever forgotten.