Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Building a Top Flite GE 1/8 scale F4U Corsair

Old 01-27-2008, 08:53 PM
andernamen
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Building a Top Flite GE 1/8 scale F4U Corsair

I agree, retracts are better all around. I've seen quite a few planes though that can't fly due to retract problems. Also, I've seen a Hellcat have to belly in cause one of the 615's got hung up. For Warbird newbies, fixed gear is a nice option, kinda like training wheels!
Old 01-27-2008, 09:50 PM
indycobra

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I appreciate the advice but im going to stick with the retracts. Im going to get much more flight time in before trying out the corsair. Today I decided to pull out the bel-cranks and go to individual servos for the ailerons and I also added the flap servos. The gear has been working great @ 100psi and higher. I still would like to know what the pressure limit is on that tank. Anyone know?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53343.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	863034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36429.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	863035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg94222.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	863036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi15990.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	863037  
Old 01-27-2008, 09:59 PM
shanghai_fool

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

According to [link]http://www.robart.com/air_systems/airtanks.aspx[/link] Robart, all their tanks are rated at 150 psi.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:00 PM
RCPtero

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Before you get too much further, you should really consider the way your aileron servos are mounted. Those are just fine, provided you never need to do maintenance on the servo. If you need to pull it for some reason, it's a bit difficult to get a screwdriver in to those screws once the wing is finished.

Just a though.

--
Tom
Old 01-27-2008, 10:12 PM
indycobra

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

shanghai_fool thanks for the tank pressure limits. That makes me feel better. I wonder why tower specs it @100psi?

I thought about service on the servo as well but decided that in all reality the plane probably wont last long enough to need serviced. Im building the flaps into the wing also which would require me tearing it apart to get to them as well so I guess ill take my chances. That method of mounting was the only one I found. Are there other options?
Old 01-27-2008, 10:21 PM
RCPtero

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Should be photos earlier in this thread showing some alternatives. Basically mount them to a hatch and have the hatch fasten into the plane. That's how I've done mine, at least.

Although, I do admit, I covered over my flap servos, so will have to cut to get to them if I need to.

--
Tom
Old 01-28-2008, 06:30 PM
indycobra

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just looked though this thread and did not see any alternative aileron mounting pics. Mostly people are using the bell cranks and pushrods that I saw. Does anyone know where those pics might be? Thanks
Old 01-28-2008, 06:40 PM
cimara

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

try here you will have to do a search http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96...38/key_/tm.htm
Old 01-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (84)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: indycobra

I just looked though this thread and did not see any alternative aileron mounting pics. Mostly people are using the bell cranks and pushrods that I saw. Does anyone know where those pics might be? Thanks
I used the hitec 125MG thin aileron servo with excellent results.

Pete
Old 01-28-2008, 08:34 PM
NCIS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I used the bellcrank and it's really smooth. I don't see any reason for more work and added weight you will regret later.

Gibbs
Old 01-29-2008, 08:04 PM
indycobra

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think I should have just left my bell-cranks/push rods in there too. I probably just created a bigger problem with what I did.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:49 PM
NCIS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I finished getting my flaps operational and Z-Poxied them yesterday. Today I sanded them smooth and primed them. I took the rods out while I paint them and will replace them when I'm done. I didn't feel like messing with any more tape.[:-] Indy I too think you should have left it as it was. Now your going to have two non-scale hatches in the bottom of the wing and if you ever need to replace them have fun. I don't see why so many builders think they need a seperate servo for each aileron. Mine have plenty of travel the way they are. Anyway good luck with your decision.

Gibbs

Name:	Ec88964.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	865582  
Old 01-30-2008, 09:04 PM
kkozy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I`ve been watching this thread for a few weeks now, and you all have some very good advice to really pay attention to. I am also starting a T/F corsair. The problem I am having is that I really don`t like air powered retracts, and want to go the mechanicle route. I bought a set from hanger 9, but the ball joints will prevent them from fully retracting into the wing. Does anybody have any advice as to another set of mechanicles that would work ? I plan on adding as much scale as possible ( as weight allows ) and don`t want ball joints sticking out of the wings. All thoughts are welcome......Thanks Kozy.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:27 AM
indycobra

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

NCIS did you use fiberglass cloth on those flaps as well as z-poxy? Also how are you going to cover the rudder and elevator with all those open ribs assuming your fiberglassing the whole plane? That is something I havent thought of until now. Im sure you would have to fill the area between the ribs with balsa wouldnt you?

Im working on another aileron servo mount and will post it to get your opinion when im finished. Same place just easier to remove servo.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:07 PM
Wildcard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

KKozy, you can check out "Robinaire 60 Size Rotating Retracts", post #1044. Lee makes a very solid gear for the Corsair in which I have a set of my own. He has just recently started talking about modifing it to work off of a servo instead of air. Lee is a good guy , however, he has had some issues with timely delivery of gear due to family problems so if you are looking for something right now this might not be the route you want to take. If you can wait though I think you will enjoy the gear that he has to offer.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:06 PM
NCIS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Indy,

I covered my rudder and ailerons with solartex and primed and painted them. No the resin is all I put on the flaps. Then sanded them with 600 grit paper for a smooth look. Glassing them would just create more problem when you went back to put them on and there wasn't any space between them to operate. Here are a few pictures of my rudder and elevators.

Kozy,

I think you should forget the mechanical retracts and go with air. They work great and you can cycle them 4 times per flight if you wish. I have a mechanical for the tail wheel but I hate it. Good luck with you retracts. I wish I could help but I have never used them for the main gear.

Gibbs

Name:	Jh14665.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	866268  
Old 01-31-2008, 04:13 PM
NCIS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry I only got one to show up. I'll post a couple more after a meeting I have to go to for my business.

Gibbs
Old 01-31-2008, 07:28 PM
kkozy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

NCIS,
It`s not that i haven`t tried air, i have Robarts in a Combat Models F 16 and they have been nothing but a pain in the rear from day one. I can`t count on one hand how many times i`ve had things go wrong after i take off and try to retract the gear. Maybe i just don`t have enough experiance with them, but after fidelling with them for so long, i would like to think that i would have them figured out by now. They work fine on the ground, make me scared to fly the jet.
2 1/2 years in that build, and 2 trips to Terre Haute to document the real one.....Lots of work !
Old 01-31-2008, 07:55 PM
indycobra

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

NCIS,
That looks really good. So you glassed the fuse, wing, fin and stabilizer then covered the ailerons, rudder and elevator in solartex right? Im just trying to get a plan together.

I mounted my ailerons a little differently today out of basswood. Some of the comments made me worry about a servo going bad then yesterday one did go bad in my blade cx2. It is really rigid and will allow easy access for removal. Basically the upper piece is glued to the side of the reinforced rib and the rails the servo is mounted to are bolted to that with 2 #4 screws. LOL, does this look rigged to you? I havent done the other side yet.

Name:	Lj22475.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	866520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82500.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	866521  
Old 01-31-2008, 08:04 PM
NCIS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Indy,

Heres the other two pictures. One was when the covering just got put on and then the finished result. I hope these help. Glassing them would be way to heavy if you put balsa between the ribs.

Gibbs

Name:	Bz79249.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	866526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie97868.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	866527  
Old 01-31-2008, 08:09 PM
NCIS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Indy,

The ailerons will get the same treatment as the flaps. They are solid balsa so I'll just Z-Poxy them and then use the acetone and spot putty mixture on them.

Kozy,

I think your problem is the Robart retracts. They are not very dependable. Spend some money and get yourself some Sierra retracts and you won't have any more trouble.

Gibbs
Old 02-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Wolflord

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

indy, if you look on this thread

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_65...tm.htm#7007725

at post #111 there is a nice way to build a servo box for your wing.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:06 PM
NCIS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I finished up on the prep work for my flaps and was able to prime them and get the top painted to match the wing. I also found time to finish my friend's plane. It's a Midwest Citabria. It is his first kit and I happily have to say I talked him into building one instead of just buying ARF's. I myself have 3 ARF's but the rest are all built from kits. Soon I hope to be done with this Corsair so I can start on the Monster 10 foot wingspan F4U-1A Corsair by Don Smith that I have a 200cc 20hp twin cylinder gas engine and a 32" Solo 3 blade prop for. It stand about 3 1/2 feet tall. and is 8 feet long.

Indy,

That one will have a servo for each elevator and for each aileron. I will be buying a Futaba 2.4Mgh 12 channel radio for that and believe it or not I already have all 12 channels being used for some gadget.

Gibbs/Alias: The Corsair Kidd

Name:	Wu60816.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	868343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99640.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	868344  
Old 02-08-2008, 02:26 PM
NCIS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm sick and tired of trying to get the paint perfect on the wing. There are just to many colors and curves. I am finished with it and had to touch up some spots that I normally would of done over but this is what it is and that is that. It looks OK but I was hoping for a perfect paint job. I ended up with some bleed through and if you try to touch it up with a brush it goes from white to light blue and visa versa. I have to wait for it to dry between applications for it to be a true dark blue or white. Well now onto painting the bottom of the flaps and all the paint except the gear doors will be done. I have also been working on wiring for my lights and am waiting for a new green LED that broke off from repeated bending.[] This plane is starting to be a big DO-OVER!!! I have decided to let what it is be as good as it is going to get. I painted the oil coolers after another Corsair in the Skull and Crossbones Squadren because I couldn't find one of #29. Taping them off was a huge delight. Here are a few pic's of the wing.

Gibbs

Name:	Ay74632.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	873194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31137.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	873195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14618.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	873196  
Old 02-08-2008, 03:49 PM
NCIS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Heres the machine guns, lights and stall strip. I know the machine guns aren't scale but they look so cool I went out on my own on them. This building thing has it's advantages when it comes to creativity!

Gibbs

Name:	Ig11413.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	873232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88143.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	873233  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.