Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Building a Top Flite GE 1/8 scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Building a Top Flite GE 1/8 scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Wildcard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building a Top Flite GE 1/8 scale F4U Corsair

The guy's name that owns the websight is Luke. I don't believe he has made those cockpits in awhile. Currently he is involved with a 1/6 scale version of the Royal Corsair. If you want to PM him & ask if he would sell one to you his login name is Reapergrim
Old 04-16-2008, 06:20 AM
airwolf crazy

Greetings,

Thanks for the information. Luke contacted me!

Barry, I am looking forward to seeing the video when you get it made.

Christopher
Old 05-04-2008, 04:56 PM
RCPtero

Wooohooooo!! The engine runs! Went out to run in the engine yesterday, but couldn't get her to start. Brought her home, replumbed the tank and took her back out. Engine ran great! Put two tanks of fuel through her, alternating between full throttle rich and full throttle lean, like the manual says. Second tank lasted about 15 minutes, and that's with running really rich for half the time. And boy, does she want to go. When then engine finally died at the end of the tank, I noticed the tail drop about half an inch. She does not like being tied down!!

I was a bit perturbed to notice that about half way through the second tank I no longer had a radio link. Albeit I was very relieved that it happened on the ground and not in the air! I think the RX battery died. I'll definitely be figuring that out before heading out to the field next weekend. NOT something I want to happen in the air!

Gotta finish up the control links on the ailerons and flaps, put an extension on the needle valve so I can reach it with the cowl on, balance her, adjust trims, dial in some differential on the controls so she's not as sensitive around center, and then put on the rest of the decals and she's ready to head to the field.

Once I get the decals on, I'll get some more photos up.

Tom
Old 05-04-2008, 09:09 PM
RCPtero

Got the controls hooked up, although I seem to be having a retract servo issue at the moment. Will have to work all the kinds out this week. My radio problem mentioned in the last post was indeed the battery. I need to find a way to alert me when the battery drops too low. I'm using a 2 cell lipo into a BEC and into the receiver. I'm afraid I may have over drawn the battery!!

Got all the parts together and weighed her. Also checked CG. Right now she's at 11LBS 11OZ. Unfortunately, very tail heavy. Looks like I have to add about 12 OZ of weight on the nose to get her balanced. (I set her up on a balancer and used my digital scale to pull down about where the weight will be added.)

So, the rest of the week is working out all the kinks and setting up the radio. Can't wait to see her in the air!! (Oh, and seeing the flaps work at the flip of a switch is SWEEEEET!!! )

Tom
Old 05-06-2008, 03:29 AM
SMUGator

ORIGINAL: tessex
(Oh, and seeing the flaps work at the flip of a switch is SWEEEEET!!! )
I don't chime in too much here, but this comment worried me. I don't know if you meant it literally or not. I'd rather prefer to be able to feed the flaps in with a dial or a slider and see how the attitude of the plane changes on the way to full at least for the maiden. If any undesirable outcomes happen, then slide back to flaps up. I worry about flipping a switch and going to full flaps.

Just my $0.02.

Good luck with the maiden, Tom!

Tom
Old 05-06-2008, 05:54 AM
RCPtero

Thanks for the comment and good point. I do have them on one of the variables knobs, not a switch, for exactly the same reason you mention. I like being able to do just a little bit and see what happens, rather than commiting the whole thing. (And that makes it that much neater to watch them go down and up in time with moving the knob.) It's the landing gear that's actually at the flip of a switch!!

Tom
Old 05-07-2008, 02:05 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tessex,

Sounds like your getting real close. Don't forget to take a video of your maiden. I would have mine done but I got involvedin the 1/4 scale and just can'r seem to get the motivation to do 2 little things to get it airworthy.

Barry
Old 05-07-2008, 06:04 PM
chumwithrum

I'm going to have about a month of down time later in the year due to a surgical procedure. I'm looking at various kits to give myself something to do so I don't drive my wife crazy. To date, I've only assembled ARFs and was considering the TF 4FU as a way to pass the time. Could some of you that have already built one tell me if this would be too advanced to jump to from ARFs? I already own two sport planes and would prefer not to have a third. I'd also like to stay in the .60 size range since I have a Magnum .91 that I bought for a Twist .60, then decided not to get the Twist. Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:14 PM
RCPtero

Personally, I wouldn't recommend it as a first kit unless you have other types of woodworking experience. The biggest issue, I think, is the gull wing and the flaps. If you aren't doing the flaps, then perhaps. I would recommend something like a Mustang, Spitfire, or a Warhawk.

If you do decide to jump in, then read through the threads here to learn from our experience.

Tom
Old 05-07-2008, 06:40 PM
NCIS

chumwithrum,

I agree with tessex. Go with a Warbird but keep the wing flat. I have been building for years and even now am building a 1/4 scale F4U-1D Corsair just off plans. I have my hands full. I started this thread to gain knowledge from fellow builders and as a practice kit for the one I'm doing now. The 1/8 scale Top Flite F4U Corsair was a challenge for me and like I said I've built more kits than I can remember. Buy a P-40. Great choice and a flat wing. Thats my next Giant I'm going to build. Very good looking plane and great history.

Gibbs
Old 05-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Wildcard

Just from what I have heard, from the Top Flite Gold Edition the P-47 is the easiest to build and a great flyer
Old 05-07-2008, 07:17 PM
SMUGator

I've built both, and the P-47 is much easier. That's a good one to start with.

Tom
Old 05-08-2008, 04:32 PM
chumwithrum

OK...I've been checking out the P-47 and trying to price everything. In the accompanying picture on Tower, it shows the top of the cowling and the canopy frame painted olive drab. The problem is Top Flite doesn't have olive drab paint. For anyone who has built the plane, did you use olive drab paint, and where did you get it?
Old 05-08-2008, 06:35 PM
NCIS

Just go to any hobby shop or paint store and pick up a can or 2 of olive drab paint. I get all my paint at Walmart and Hobby Lobby. I use the olive drab from Hobby Lobby. But really all you have to do is take the sample with you and pick a color of the paint that matches it. Like the interior of my Corsair is Leafy Green by Rustoleum and that was recommended by Brian at Dynamic Balsa one of the best scale cockpit producers in the country. Rustoleum Leafy Green is a duplicate to Zinc Chromate. I't funny the names of the paint you will use in this hobby trying to match military colors.

Gibbs
Old 05-08-2008, 06:38 PM
NCIS

I've got another 1/8 scale Top Flite Corsair Kit. What do you all think, should I tinker away on it when I'm sick of working on the big bird? I have a Super Tigre G75 with an in cowl muffler that needs a home. I would just change things on this one a little bit.

Gibbs
Old 05-08-2008, 06:45 PM
RCPtero

Gibbs,

I'd swear your post at the top of the pages says you aren't done with the first 1/8th one yet!! But of course, you need to have one for you to fly after you pass the first one off to your son. And think how much you've learned on the first one you'll be able to put to use on building this one! Then the two of you can go out and fly formations!

Tom
Old 05-08-2008, 07:39 PM
NCIS

Tom,

I am going to finish the first one next week and then start on the second one. I am planning on trying to build this one under 10.5 lbs with the G75 and in cowl muffler. This one will be modified and it will be a flyer for sure. I learned a bunch on the first one and every now and then like about half the day need a break from the 1/4 scale. It is almost a scratch build and it will be nice to build something that snaps together when I get stressed out on the big one. I will have to get the first one off my smaller work table so I have a second shop for building instead of the table being a hanger.

Barry
Old 05-08-2008, 09:55 PM
RCPtero

I guess there is a reason to only have one or two building tables! But then I should talk. I have a half finished basement. The slate and plans for a pool table. A hand made dining room table (okay with power tools, but I did it myself) that still needs chairs, a '68 Mustang with no interior, brakes, gas lines, an ARF CAP 530 that needs to be finished, the Corsair (Which WILL be finished tomorrow!!), and week before last I started another Tiger 60.

Well, trying to do the build and keep the weight down is an admirable goal. I'll definitely be trying to do that on the Tiger 60. And I've got a Super Skybolt in the box which I'll be building one of these months (after I finish a couple of other projects) that I'll try to keep the weight down on. At least within the range of what's marked on the box!

At least on a warbird, I figure the extra weight is just simulating flight with a munitions load!

Tom
Old 05-09-2008, 11:45 PM
RCPtero

Well, she's ready!! Weather permitting, I'll take her to the field in the morning. I think I need to work on the low end idle. Otherwise, she's ready to taxi out and fly!! Final weight: 13 LBS 1 OZ.

Here's the finished photos:

Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77503.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	946451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31055.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	946452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16449.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	946453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77094.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	946454  
Old 05-10-2008, 02:17 PM
NCIS

Good luck on your maiden and I hope all goes well.

Barry
Old 05-11-2008, 10:10 PM
john46

I dont know if this is the right Group or not if I am in the wrong group some 1 please tell me what group I should be in LOL
I am new to the chat croup so please Bear with me
I Just Baught a F4U-4 Corsair with the wing span being 30 3/4 Long with folding wings I see that there are people using very thin Balsa wood for covering is that a good thing or not again I am new so I really dont know I also have been thinking about the gas/nitro engine and this 1 web site say to go with a Thunder Tigar GP .07 ABC then I see people using the .061 wasp it seems to be a toss up on what to use or not to use

John
Old 05-12-2008, 12:31 PM
NCIS

John,

1/16" is what most medium size planes are covered with. Anything thinner would be weak. Go glow. I would say either the Thunder Tiger or WASP are good choices. WASP might be a better quality engine in my opinion.

Barry/NCIS
Old 05-19-2008, 05:05 PM
kkozy

Tessex, When you finally get around to that skyolt you mentioned, don`t skimp on the power. I have one and i`ll be the first to admit, if the weight is kept resonable, a good .60 will fly it fine. Anybody that has flown with me can verify the i beleave in PLENTY of power. You will not be disapointed if you put a Super Tiger .90 in it. Take offs are a little hairy with that much power, but on the plus side are very short ! Whatever power you go with, just make darn sure it`s 100 % reliable. Dead sticks are no fun with this one. With out power, your trying to fly a brick. With power, it`s a fire beathing dragon. Have fun with it. It`ll make people stop and watch the show when that .90 fires up. Kozy
Old 05-19-2008, 05:30 PM
RCPtero

Kozy,

Thanks for the advice, and words of caution on the deadsticks. I don't believe power will be an issue, though. I picked up a Saito 1.25 the other day that's destined for the Skybolt. I can hear them now just calling my name to get them on the building table!!

Weather permitting, the Corsair will maiden this weekend. And the forecast is looking good!!

Tom
Old 05-24-2008, 06:41 PM
RCPtero

Well, took her to the field today. I made two different takeoff runs. The first one, the tail left the ground, then she nosed over into the dirt. Brought her back, restarted her, and went for another run. This time, I held full up elevator to keep the tail down and nose up. Unfortunately, I held it too long and she took off, promptly stalled and torque rolled. Left wing tip hit the dirt and snapped that panel off of the center section right along the joint where the wing tip was glued on. The 1/16" ply spar joiners snapped in half. The rest of the joint separated at the epoxy lines. I've got the video uploaded here:

[link=http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/70R51T1005303MY4]TF Corsair Maiden Crash[/link]

I've given it a critical look over and she shouldn't be too hard to repair. The wost part is going to be redoing the finish!!

Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.