Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P51 noses over

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2002, 06:50 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default P51 noses over

Is this common with them? I have seen a spit do it real bad, just wondering how one would correct this, if there is a way. Take off is not a big deal but landing if your not ready it goes over, especially dead stick.

Thanks

PS, I believe its a dynaflite kit? with a .75
Old 02-16-2002, 08:43 PM
Auger Din

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nose Over

Interesting question.

My instructor has been telling me of the same problem that he's had on different planes.

According to him, the best fixes come when building, such as moving the gear forward in the wing a tad. He said that this largely cured the constant problem in a Corsair that he built.

Apparently it went into a tumble on landing and shattered both wings. Upon rebuilding them he nudged the landing gear forward in the panels. He said that he also toed the wheels in a degree or two.

Another fix that he gave me was to replace the scale wheels with larger diameter ones.

Though, if your using retracts your problably out of luck with these. As rearranging the stuff in the wing would be a real hassle
Old 02-16-2002, 09:55 PM
JohnVH

Default P51 noses over

It has mechanical retracts.
Old 02-16-2002, 10:34 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P51 noses over

I am assuming the "CG" is close? A .75 is a bit large for this model but doable...

Is there down trim dialed into make the model fly straight and level?

Is the gear angled/tilted forward? Should be...
Old 02-16-2002, 11:34 PM
L454S
My Feedback: (3)

Default Gear angle

Just shim the back side mount on the retracts till the axle is almost under the leading edge of the wing. The gear will still go back in the same hole.
Old 02-17-2002, 12:00 AM
JohnVH

Default P51 noses over

OK, will give it a try!

I think the CG is close, I didnt get a manual, its just a hair behind the spar right now.
Old 02-17-2002, 07:08 PM
sproosemoose

Default Nose Over

I had the same problem with my sureflite p40 and my 20 size p51. All warbirds have a tendency to nose over, just because of their layout. Most of the full scale warbirds were tailheavy, so if the gear is in a scale position it's difficult to keep them from nosing over. You also have to remember that the bumps on the runway are much bigger in relation to models than to full scales, so there's another problem. Bigger wheels help (ultimately saved my mustang and P40) but with retracts that may not be possible. Shimming the backside of the gear is difinitely a good idea, and remember to hold full up elevator to taxi and to gradually reduce as you pick up speed so you don't lift off too soon. Hope this helps!
sproosemoose