Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Striking Back airshow...

Hi all,

Was wondering about this event. Where is it at? Is it still going? Are there any commercially available videos of the show? Any information would be grate.

Thanks,

James
    Colorado-rc.com

AMA# 710647

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Striking Back airshow...

It used to be run by Byron Originals before Byron Godberson passed away and Byron became part of Iron Bay Models.

Sadly its not around anymore. You may find some clips of it on the .net somewhere or some of the guys on here might have copies of the videos that were made.

Regards
    Scott
    http://www.dadmac.org.uk
    Spitfire Brotherhood No.226
    #keepfightingmichael

Why are you not out building something?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't think it's being done anymore. It was put on by Byrons Originals and was at their plant at Ida Grove, Iowa for many years. Then about 1993 it moved to Ankeny, Iowa which is a suburb just north of Des Moines. They built a really nice site and runway there for the show, but after a couple of years it just seemed to fade away.

I have a VHS copy of the show, but I don't think its available anymore. Too bad.

You can see some clips at the RCWarbirds site: http://www.rcwarbirds.com/videospage.htm

It\'s like a Koala Bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes it was a great show.

My father and I went to it in August 1986.

Had my own video of it and have misplaced it.

Would love to get a copy of one.

Great facilities, minature airport, wonderfull action.
    Remember to FLY HARD and LAND SOFT

AMA 5288
    IMAC 3721
    IMAA 24878

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That is to bad, wish I would have been able to see a show like that. Thanks for the info tho. I've seen the videos on rcwarbirds, that is why I was asking about it. I have a video of a camcorder strapped to a B-25, that I found on net somewhere, that is probably the best shot of the field I've seen so far.

James
    Colorado-rc.com

AMA# 710647

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Darklotus
    Hi all,
    Was wondering about this event. Where is it at? Is it still going? Are there any commercially available videos of the show? Any information would be grate.
    Thanks,
    James
    Wow, that brings back memories. I never made it to Ida Grove, but I got to the Ankeny show in about 1995 or 96. At mid-day they started the "Striking Back" show, with warbirds in action around the carrier, and Byron's B-29 bomber doing flybys and a simulated bomb drop.

To start the show, some local sang the National Anthem and everyone was on their feet with their hands over their hearts. As "...and the ho-o-me, of the...... bra-a-a-ave" came over the loudspeakers, two Iowa National Guard F-16's came from the northwest, banked in front of the stands to give us a good view, and passed by north to south, noisily.

There were lots of vendors, lots of flying events, and some full-scale planes on display.

That might have been the last "Striking Back", or the next to the last. For a few years, I would drive by on I-35 about 4 times a year, and always noticed the B-25 weathervane on the west side of that property. Eventually one of the props stopped windmilling, and finally the property changed hands and the B-25 model was taken down.

I have a friend who owns an Ida Grove videotape of an earlier show. Maybe I'll borrow it again, next time I get to Iowa.

Cheers,
    Dave Olson
    The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him GKChesterton

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Paul Grubich, a regular on this site, served as an R/C pilot in several Striking Back shows. You can find a limited bit of information about Striking Back (and some video clips from the show) on his website, rcwarbirds.com

He may know where/how to acquire some original videos. Alternatively, you could check ebay. They pop up there from time-to-time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There's one up for bid on ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/R-C-Wars-VHS-Str...QQcmdZViewItem

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I HAVE THE VID AND SEND ME A TAPE ILL COPY AND SEND BACK TO YOU

989-797-3645

IF ITS LEGAL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's a short video on 'members videos' that I just put on the web site.
    I downloaded it from the web about two years ago.
    Don't know who took it or what year.
    It's viewed from one of the planes.

http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....9c84a639d254b6
    G. Samuel Parfitt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

id do it for free never know what you get off ebay!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I was the lucky winner of the Striking Back video on Ebay. Got it yesterdat in the mail and watch it last night. Looks like it was filmed from the late 80's or early 90's possibly. They dubbed in full scale engine and machine gun sounds as the planes were flying and attacking the ships, etc. A little cheesy but OK since the video was more about recreating historical events in the US/Japan war and not so much about RC.

I can see one reason why they didn't continue this event. They had scale replica ships, tanks, railroads, planes and factories all which were blown up. Seemed very time consuming and expensive to pull off. Still, probably would have been a sight to see in person through.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes it was something to see. I remember goint to Ida Grove one year but not sure what year it was and seeing the show. It was unbelieveable. Even though we were a safe ways from where they were blowing up things you could feel the heat of the flames. I still have pictures of it and some of the planes they used. I feel lucky to have seen it.
    Larry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I too remember the planes and like Larry said, when they ingnited the 5 gallons of fuel for a bomb drop, you could feel the air rush away from you and then feel the heat soon after.

PS:
    Larry:
    Do you know Larry Arsenau there in Manteno.
    I fly some IMAC with him.
    Been to his flying field a few times.
    Remember to FLY HARD and LAND SOFT

AMA 5288
    IMAC 3721
    IMAA 24878

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

P47-

My Father and I saw the show in both Ida Grove and Ankeny, Ida Grove was the real deal! The group that ran the show in Ankeny did not use any airborne pyro, just on the ground (at least the years I saw it in Ankeny.) When Byron ran the show on his Estate in Ida Grove, there were at least a couple of Zeros and a Mustang "sacrificed" each show and they did it 5 days in a row!

You're right about the videos, the sound was obviously dubbed in by the studio, but the sound system used at the show worked great. Engine and gun sounds were timed with flybys and straffing runs, great effects. The video doesn't do the sound part justice, but it gives a pretty good idea of the size and scope of the show.

I live outside of Chicago and worked for Maytag from 2001 to 2004. During a couple of business trips to HQ in Newton IA, I ventured over to Ankeny in the evenings. There was a small group of restoration guys at the Ankeny Airport who had acquired the more famous heavy planes. I think they called themselves the Iowa Aviation Heritage Museum. I may have the name a little mixed up. Anyways, they have one of the B-29's, B-17, B-25, C-47 and a P-51. They also have one of the famous B-25 weather vanes Byron would put all over the grounds, especially near the entrances. Outside of their hangar is the train and some of the buildings near the tracks, one of the tanks and at least one of the PT boats if not two. These guys are not modelers, they do full scale restorations and thought the models would make a neat little "museum" to help bring in donations. They told me at the time when they acquired the models they had to sign an agreement to never attempt flying them. Not sure how much truth there is to that, not that it matters much. When I was there in the fall of 2002, the mock carrier tower pagoda was still on site, but scheduled to be removed as an industrial park was being developed near the airport. I haven't been back to Iowa, at least Ankeny, since then so I don't know if that happened. There was a Pearl Harbor memorial group allegedly intrested in some of the pieces from the set. Don't know whatever happened to it.

Regardless, it was a very unique, awesome airshow. Even full scale pilots and airshow enthusiast say it was one of the most unique as the afternoon airsow mixed full scale acts with RC and capped off with Striking Back. It would be great if some of the big names today would get together and bring back this event. One of my most treasured possesions in this hobby is a grocery bag full of pictures I took from the shows I attended. I would scan them, but it would take weeks!

Take care

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Darklotus

That is to bad, wish I would have been able to see a show like that. Thanks for the info tho. I've seen the videos on rcwarbirds, that is why I was asking about it. I have a video of a camcorder strapped to a B-25, that I found on net somewhere, that is probably the best shot of the field I've seen so far.

James
    I know I'm a newbie and I'm resurrecting an old topic, but I had to comment on this. My father was actually the one that strapped the camcorder onto the B-25 in Ida Grove. He flew for years in the airshow, and I got to help in many different areas of the show. Reading these posts really brings back some memories.

If anyone has questions, feel free to ask. If I don't know the answer, I can probably find it out.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ida Grove....is the model airport still there?
    # 93 in Club Saito; Carl Goldberg Ultimate Brotherhood # 12; Pulse brother # 2;Hellcat Brotherhood #8;P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #18

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I doubt there is much left of the old airport. After the show was sold in the early 90's to a group out of Ankeny, they probably removed all of the remnants of the airfield.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You Tube is your friend!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBz8_5hvxWM

Tommy D
    http://tommydsblog.blogspot.com/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sam i am online and see that you are too Have you ever lived in Brook Park Ohio
    And were you involved with model railroading Thanks Jeff smith

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jeff,
    Yep, my parents moved there around 1959.
    Besides planes, I'm still doing railroading, old cars and woodworking.
    The new layout is bigger and better: 33'X47', 1500' of handlaid rail on individual wooden ties, the mainline is 400' long and two yards holding 500 and 400 cars each.
    Plus two old cars:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh15367.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	1138979   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sn40949.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	1138980   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qv54615.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	1138981   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yr47498.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	1138982   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qb37256.jpg 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	1138983  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ar99354.jpg 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	1138984   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fh81209.jpg 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	1138985   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn47486.jpg 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	1138986   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig73402.jpg 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	1138987   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt56298.jpg 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	1138988  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hc92834.jpg 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	1138989  
    G. Samuel Parfitt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good lookin' '77 Vette.
    Yeah, I use mixing... Balsa & Dirt.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Any one with clips from the show, with the B-25s making their runs. I bought one of the Mitchells from the show. want to restore it to the condition it was in then. but not sure of the colors for it. Paint is cracked and fuse has some cracks in it.
     I have other B-25s that i built from scratch.
     This bird i could not pass up when i seen it, It was sitting on a table in the back of byron originals factory.
     I paid 400.00 for it as is. and now ready to start the referb on it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Any one with clips from the show, with the B-25s making their runs. I bought one of the Mitchells from the show. want to restore it to the condition it was in then. but not sure of the colors for it. Paint is cracked and fuse has some cracks in it.
     I have other B-25s that i built from scratch.
     This bird i could not pass up when i seen it, It was sitting on a table in the back of byron originals factory.
     I paid 400.00 for it as is. and now ready to start the referb on it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Trucker,
    I have a VHS tape from Byrons. Anyone know the legal tangles regarding putting it to DVD and/or selling?

flyin Hwn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast