RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Royal-FW190A8

Old 06-06-2007, 11:08 PM
Baldeagle
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Royal-FW190A8

Tim I have made a wing jig using aero shaft and two blocks of wood. Drill 2 holes in the wing ribs front and rear, Stack the ribs so you can drill all the ribs at one time. Make your blocks and drill holes to match. Measuring from the bottom of the block make the rear hole app 1/2 in higher than the front hole, This is on the wing tip block only. The root block will be level . That will give you washout. I hope this makes sence. Rich
Old 06-06-2007, 11:23 PM
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A wing jig is pretty simple to make although I've never used one, you used to see them a lot in the modeling press and "how-to" books.
Basically, it's a wooden base a little longer than one half the wing span of the largest model you plan to use it with. Lets' say 4 ft for the sake of discussion. A wooden base 4 ft long and say, 12" in width. On each end of the base, there is an upright the same width as the base and maybe 6 inches high.
This is tough to describe so I did a google search and came up with this. Halfway down the page-
http://www.nextcraft.com/importanceofgoodtools.html
Old 06-07-2007, 12:05 AM
SMUGator

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Interestingly, the only warped wing I ever built was laid up on a jig in the mid 80's. I abandoned that approach and went back to building on flat surfaces with shims where needed.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:37 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

super guys, that makes perfect sence to me my FW 190 doesn't have any references to a jig at all and says to build flat at the trailing edge but the ME 109 has a big section recomending one being used I think I will mess with some wood and rods to see if I can get something I feel is workable.
I can see the potential for warpage especially if the rods used can flex at all I will search for some stiffer type of tubing or solid steel.
the royal kits are nice there is some old school stuff that can use some upgrading like the 109's solid balsa cowl but the plans look sweet.
the FW is first in line.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:31 AM
grumman-cats

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've used the great planes wing building jig which was basically described earlier except that it uses 1/4" steel rod. I personally have had great success with using them, I even used them for the fuselage which worked rather well on my bearcat. It allows you to build both sides of the wing before removing the rod. When your done with one side you just flip it and do the other. I will say this, when you go to remove the rods its' easier to use a drill to spin the rod while your pulling it out. It makes a loud noise but it's easier none the less.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:43 PM
pauser98

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I started building this Marutaka FW190A way back in 2003. Now have got a RCV90CD
engine for it (it just fits ino the crowl upright).

Here are some pictures.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98306.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	737404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92753.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	737405  
Old 08-07-2007, 02:09 AM
bigtim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

chris your FW looks looks great I am planning to go with a OS91fs for mine,are you going to put retracts in it,if so which ones.
I am going to use the Century Jet's in mine, as well as installing flaps,when you get it flying then please post some info.
I am still painting my P-47 and am seeing the finish line ahead, so I will be starting the build this fall I figure.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:58 AM
Baldeagle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Chris your Royal FW looks great. I sure brings back some memories of mine. Best flying warbird I ever had. Rich
Old 08-07-2007, 09:02 AM
pauser98

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks. I hope it will fly as well and it's not overweight. I used a simple mechanical retracts, but make it scale. It turned out to be too long and too thin. Ground handling would be interesting. Also I cut out the ribs for flaps. That cost me a year.
I just put in a cockpit kit from Top-Flite FW190D.

Chris

Name:	Us54455.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	737526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23424.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	737527  
Old 08-07-2007, 11:00 AM
aghost

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

bigtim: Regarding CJ retracts, I don't know which CJ retracts you plan to use, but several folks, including myself, had problems with the CJ retracts for the TF FW-190. The connector between the strut and the retract mechanism bends too easily. There are lots of good comments about other models of CJ retracts, but this particular retract seems to be a problem. There's a thread with folks experience with them.

Brian
Old 08-07-2007, 06:29 PM
bigtim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

CJ makes a particular retract for the Royal FW190A8 as well.
I also have read about the bending issue and I happen to have another set for the TF FW190D9, I purchased the plane and retracts as a set,.I have read that CJ has improved the connecting pin.
but havent contacted them yet about getting replacements.
the gear I am using for my jug are pretty stout and I am pleased with the scale look,I havent purchased the gear for the Royal so my options are still open.
the thing that I liked about the CJ's is there axel positioning,skyshark recomended the robart retracts but the struts are strait so you end up with a tilted wheel that doesn't look all that scale.
its one of the reasons I started this thread was to get more info it helps alot to see what others have done and are doing.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:41 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

try lenn from shinding , he make oleo struts for this type of plane ,heavy duty for about $80.
I have used CJ gear and love them , emial Bruce your concerns he will reply
Old 09-11-2007, 09:22 PM
bigtim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

in the interest of keeping this thread alive untill I can start this plane I found this kit on ebay and my eyes poped out when I saw the price 6 days and aproching 300$.makes me think of selling (not really) but its entertaining watching the prices
another thing I did was to get a fiber glass cowl so I can double cut this kit from my templates.
all I need now is to either find or make my own canopy, I am not to confident in my vac forming skills but if I can,t find one I might have to give it a try.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:41 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Royals kits demand great money on Ebay , more then the pica kits
Old 09-12-2007, 08:04 PM
bigtim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

its now at 370 holy cow!
well I found a guy who has the canopy plug for the A8 and he said he would pull one for me so my idea is to make a template of the parts and rework some of the tail area as well as some of the solid block fillets to lighten this brick as well as lightening the wing ribbs with some holes in the new parts I am planning to make from my templates.

with the suggestions from you guys I also built a wing jig from some oak and steel rods,been doing some reading on this model and I have decided to incorporate some washout in the wings so it will fly a bit easyer and be a little more forgiving in the air .
looks as though I am moving closer to doing a build thread,we shall see.
I just have to finish the JUG getting real close as well as getting a new camera my son did somthing to mine now it doesn't work.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:47 AM
fw190a8

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey I just finished building the wing of my Royal (Marutaka) fw190a8 this weekend and I'm about to start the fuse.
Do you have any tips that you can share with me about building the fuse, such as what tail wheel to use?

Its a bit late for me on the wing I would have liked to build flaps but wasn't to sure about how they should be done.
Are you going to leave the bottom of the flaps as shown in the picture? I still have one more of these kits new in the box
for future building.

Yours looks good!
Old 09-26-2007, 01:23 AM
bigtim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

fw190a8 how did the wing go together did you add any washout or build it strait off the plans, and was it heavy,and what landing gear are you planning to use.
I have done alot of planning for lightening the structure of this plane drilling into the formers as well as lightening the wing ribs, there's alot of wood that can be removed to lighten this plane as I see it.
as well as the wing the fuse has alot of extra wood that doesn't need to be there,building TF kits has helped in giving me ideas of how to lighten this kit.
I have a un touched kit I am going to template and recut with new wood as well as re working the tail and fillet areas,there's just a little too much wood for me I would rather add some structure than carve solid blocks of balsa for fillets.
what I did was copy the plans and work out the flap designs there, using 3 view drawings as references as well as the squadron book FW190 in action #1170, for the split flaps detailing hinge blocks etc...
I really like the outline of the Royal FW I am going to start mine this fall/winter,using a OS 91fs for power.
I havent decided on what retracts to use not to many choices for this older kit.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:45 PM
fw190a8

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The wing went together well, I built it strait off the plans. I used Spring Air 704 85 degree retracts and positioned it between rib 4 & 5. I like the fact that spring air requires only one air line to the retract unit. I also used the robarts 650 oleo strut. I may go with a plastic film covering for the wing as the first and last warbird I built the Skyshark Stuka could not get more then 6 inches off the ground[&o]. That is also another reason I didn't want to mess with washout...I just wanted a straight wing. I'm more concerned with getting the 2 degree angle called for on the plan correct when I install the wing in the plane.

I may put a gun on my wing. I bought some 1/4" plastic threaded rod and some treaded inserts. I haven't decided on an engine yet but have a OS 61 fx that would likely fit without modifications to the plans. Have you considered an engine that you can just strap to the firewall?

I just made a copy of the fuselage plans and will likely get started in the next few days.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:17 AM
bigtim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was thinking of using a nylon engine mount instead of the hardwood rails detailed in the kit after strenthening the firewall,
the nose is so short that any extra weight would be a advantage forward of the CG.
the OS91fs will fit in the cowl inverted as well as I like the sound.
for finishing I am going to use .56oz fiberglass cloth and water based poly to glass it,then paint with www.warbirdcolors.com paints,I have had good results using this method to glass and the WB colors has authentic RLM paint colors for order.
I am painting my Top Flight P-47 with it and I like the results so far.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:45 PM
fw190a8

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looking for some ideas here I just started step 2 of the fuselage and realized that I need to workout a plan for a muffler. I'm going to mount the os 61fx engine upright per the plans
but I need a muffler to fit. Currently I've got the stock muffler and a bisson pitts muffler but they don't fit. Any one have ideas for me?

I found a muffler extension "O.S. Muffler Extension 35mm E-402" that will do the job with the stock muffler. I guess I would prefer a more scale solution.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:34 PM
bigtim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

so I happen to have a TF in cowl muffler so I set it on my working plans copy, it looks to me as though the TFICM will work but its going to be tight and will require a pipe extension to get down to the bottom of the fuse to exit some high heat silicone poss.
here's some photos there not the greatest camera phone shots but you can get a idea of what your up against.
I think if you used a nylon mount then there will be more space for the muffler,instead of the wood mount thats used for the origonal.
one of the reasons I want to use a 91 4st is not needing this kind of a set up ,they run great inverted,and weigh a bit more than a 2st balancing this butcher bird is going to be interesting with the short nose I also have a fiberglass cowl I got off ebayits got some flaws but wil work for my first try at a semi scratch build because I will use the origonal parts as templates for the new wood I will be using.

Name:	Ay73392.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	772931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80289.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	772932  
Old 09-30-2007, 10:41 AM
fw190a8

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like the 4 stroke but can't justify buying a new engine since I have the 61 fx and it only has about 3 hours of runtime on it. My goal is to move on to gas engines and bigger fw190s in the future.

Your picture of the TFICM is most helpful. I was looking at the TFICM yesterday but wrote it off due to lack of experience.
I'm now thinking if I used the TFICM I could mount it on the bottom section of F2. That would allow me to keep the wood mounts and the 61fx upright per the plans.

Concern with this are as follows:
How do I route the exhaust to the TFICM, I would need some kind of flexable header. I noticed that you can get a flexable pipe for the OS 91 4st it's called "O.S. Flex Pipe Short FS-90/FT-160" combined with "O.S. Exhaust Manifold Inside FS-70/FS-91" this would do the job if I had your engine. But I haven't found anything for the 61 fx. Do you know of somthing I can use to route the exhaust to the TFICM from the 61 fx engine?
How about the heat, is it to hot to strap the TFICM on the bottom of F2.

My planes on hold till I figure this out.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Baldeagle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

On my Royal FW I used a Webre 61 speed with a 90% muffler from Slimline mufflers with rubber extentions. It worked good for years. I used the beam mount on the plans. Hope this helps. Rich
Old 09-30-2007, 11:36 AM
bigtim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

there is a header for the 61fx also http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHY77 its very tight to the engine,and it comes with a silicone piece for connecting the 2 parts,the thing is its not too big so some sort of extension might have to be made to connect the 2 parts if your going to separate the 2 by much.
theres alot of high heat silicone out there, but there is also alot of hot gasses exiting the header so I dont think it would hold up long.
a metal extension fo sorts,and the silicone connection pieces should work out either aluminum or even copper pipe could be used.
I got my header and TFICM, for my TF Spitfire and a OS61fx also, then went for a 4st after deciding I needed more power and weight in the nose.
the 61 is in my NEXTAR float plane now.
if you work out the details I might use it in the FW also I was considering the OS75 AX the header will fit that engine also.
I also like the larger warbirds but I like the economy of 60 size planes for the cost its about 3-1.
this is the reason I started this thread to help me and others work out some of the issues with this model let me know what you figure out.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:48 AM
bigtim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

rich how did you mount the engine inverted or upright,and call me naive whats a 90% slimline muffler? I know what a regular pits style is, but the engine needs to be mounted on its side to work.
I have plenty to learn.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service