RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Royal-FW190A8

Old 09-30-2007, 11:56 AM
fw190a8

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Royal-FW190A8

I'm thinking this is the one that Rich might be talking about:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...FH00&P=SM#tech
also
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFH27&P=V
Old 09-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Baldeagle
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Big Tim I mounted the motor straight up. The muffler FW 190a8 showed is the one I used . The first one from Tower.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:02 PM
fw190a8

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey bigtim how is your build coming along?

After getting half of the fuse built on my fw190a8 I decided to bite the bullet and buy an 91 fs II engine for this bird (my wife doesn't know that yet....haha).
I'm hoping to mount it upright with the exhaust out the bottom of the cowl.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:31 PM
JGrc
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bigtim

JGrc did you add any washout to your wings,the ROYAL kits dont seem to incorporate it into there kits at least I haven't run across any references to it.

Yes. The plans fail to tell you about it. Add 2ΒΊ of washout, otherwise you will snap it everytime you want to land. DOn't ask me how I know [&:]

JG
Old 01-25-2008, 04:18 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks for the heads up on the washout JGrc.
I did end up building a wing jig from the tips that I got here wheather or not I end up using it on this model I am not sure I made it for the Me109 I don't know.

I am almost ready to start the build,I have a after market fiberglass cowl,and canopy I got off the eBay, I am planning on using the origonal kit components for templates and recut the kit with new wood,incorporating lightening holes in the wing ribs and fuse formers,as for the wood blocks theres alot of room for using built up structures rather than carving wood blocks that the Royal kits use,as well as sheeting rather than planking with the thicker wood recomended.
I plan on using some of the tecniques that Top Flight uses since I have a D-9 kit to copy from,I also need to cast a gun hood cover out of fiberglass for my access hatch,for the fuel dot,on off switch,and retract filler.
there is a couple of details that I need to work out to move forward I really want to focus on keeping this plane light and add some scaleness as well.

I have a engine a OS91 surpass,the gear I want to use are really pricey so I am thinking I might go with the lighter robart spring down air up gear with wire struts to keep it light,there alot less expensive, its abit in advance so I will see when I get closer to needing them how much $$ I am willing to spend.
once I get my canopy in the mail things should start rolling.

I have been dragging my rear a bit but I really want to get going on this one soon, work and other distractions have gotten in the way, any others thinking about building this plane please post some more info or photos as soon as I start I will post progress shots.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:08 PM
ampeater

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bigtim, just a heads up, make sure you double check the dihedral on the plans. I have 2 sets of Royal plans, P-39 and Bearcat, and the angle shown for the dihedral is actually only a half angle, but the amount to raise the panel is correct. I built my P-38 wing on a jig using the angle callout and when I went to put the booms on it didn't line up right. Turned out that in the front view, the "lay one panel flat and raise the other panel this much" dimension was correct, but the angle callout was only half what it should have been.

In short, I should have used the dimension of how much to prop the wing tip up, not the angle called out for the dihedral. It is a drawing error that only screwed me up because that's what I used to set my jig. If you look at the pic, the 7" dimension is correct, but the '6 degrees' should say '12 degrees'.

I don't know if the FW plans have that problem, but 2 of my Royal plans do, so you might want to double check.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57805.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	860858  
Old 04-03-2008, 11:28 PM
bigtim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well its been a bit of a haul since I posted on this one, but this is where I will start posting on the build,I first plan is to get all the wood necessary to recut this kit,this weekend, I will start to catalog all the parts for the build and begin cutting wing ribs out,I will use a combination of the plans and the actual wood the parts come from to duplicate the parts needed for my build since this will be a modified version of the royal any other builders who feel like joining in please feel free.

I have used a good copy of my original plans to draw in the flap mods and the tail build up I am planning on doing,thus begins the grunt work of cutting parts out since I started this thread alot has been going on and its taken me a while to get it all together including finishing my latest project.
I also got a new dig camera so I will document the process,hopefully there will be some who will join me in this I would like to finish sometime around xmas or so but if I end up doing it solo it may take a bit longer,I want it to come out nice the FW is a favorite of mine.
any one interested in plans, canopy,or cowl front they can be gotten from seller "uswing" the ones I have are pretty good I plan on doing a fiberglass full cowl,instead of the built up balsa front the kit has,thats a long way off.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:51 PM
bigtim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well let me preface these next post by saying,I am not selling any of these items myself,I am just using them for my model and if any other sources for items pertaining to the building of this model are available please post them as well.
that being said,I am starting a inventory of parts and wood I will use in each step of this process,first the goodies I purchased and how they compare to the origonals.

my after market canopy I got from "uswing" off of ebay,got to tell ya great quality, in the comparison shot there is really no difference between the origonal Royal and this one the Royal is a little better trimmed around the edges which is nothing, otherwise exellent.

as for the cowl I would rate it as so so of course its not a spun aluminium one, the size is right,obviously taken off a origonal, but there is a few flaws, and some air bubbles at the surface, that will need some work to get it dialed in,all in all servicable for sure and it will be getting used,there is anothe seller of parts, wflawson, who vac forms his parts and makes some quality items as well for this plane.

lastly since I have a perfect kit with all the parts and decals(which seem to always be missing) I have emailed Gary at www.getstencils.com to reproduce a stencil set for me I will post more information as I recieve it about these.

I also have the cockpit kit as well and might try my hand at vac forming myself if I cant find a reproduction but thats way down the road from here.

so back to cataloging all the wood that is one big box of lumber.

Name:	Nl30326.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	921561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45250.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	921562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59686.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	921563  
Old 04-04-2008, 05:13 PM
bigtim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

so here is the basic list of wood for getting started I have omitted the wood blocks because I intend on using as little solid blocks as I can on this particular build, any one interested in that list of items I will be adding it as I go,trying to work around the carving and replacing it with built up structure all the wood is balsa sheeting unless noted.
6-3.25x36x3/32
4-3.25x24x3/32
1-3.25x18x3/32
16-3.25x36x1/16
6-3.25x24x1/16
2-7x36x1/8 ply
1-3.5x36x1/8 ply needed for wing parts that have to be cut out.
1-3x24x1/4
1-1/4x3/4x24 stringer
4-1/4x3/8x24
1-3/16x24 sq.
not to bad for a start I will need a fair bit more when some of the additions start to work there way into this one.
being watched by my luftwaffe comander always ready to criticize but never willing to lift a finger to help.
getting all that wood back in the box was a real puzzle

Name:	Ax72757.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	921604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59343.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	921605  
Old 04-15-2008, 08:25 PM
bigtim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

so I have carefully removed some of the parts from the sheets,being that there''s 2 of each, I just did one of them, and traced and verified each part using the balsa for templates,I have almost all the wing parts,and some of the fuse balsa pieces traced and labeled ready to cut out tonight,also the light ply wing stringers as well.
I then placed all the origonal parts back in there old sheets and rebanded them together, to keep them preserved for later building.
some progress pics.

Name:	Db83719.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	930046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66542.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	930047  
Old 04-16-2008, 09:17 PM
fw190a8

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey bigtim,
Your making this look easy, I'm anxious to see how you do the fiberglass cowl instead of the balsa built up one.
I don't like the old style hardwood motor mounts on this kit.

For the tail wheel on mine I went with a century jet tf fw190 retract but it is servo operated rather then air for the up down.
This has been the biggest headache for me as I have split the back section and added a 3/8" square balsa piece so that it can fit.
I still have not really worked out all the details for the mechanics to make the retract work with the rudder but want to make it as simple as possible.
Will likely go with a single wire between the rudder and tail unit rather then push pull.

I'll also have to do some sanding and build up the tail a bit to compensate for the extra 3/8" wide back.

I will be following along with you.
Cheers,
fw190a8
Old 04-17-2008, 10:58 AM
7aso
My Feedback: (27)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

LoL, got bit by my 109 build thread?

Enjoy the build!
Old 04-17-2008, 12:25 PM
bigtim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 7aso

LoL, got bit by my 109 build thread?

Enjoy the build!
this ones been in the planning stages for quite some time[)].

fw190a8
I want to use a modern plastic mount so when I get to the fuse I plan on building a firewall and engine box set up simmilar to a Top flight model,I havent worked out the exact details yet since the wing is my first task on this build.
as for the cowl I will use a 2 part casting cylinder and sculpt it in foam, for my fiberglass cowl I need to get the fuse built up so I can dial in the dimentions needed I know polyester resin pretty well so its should be fairly strait forward.
I am also considering getting a Keleo exhaust since there will be some extra room and he already makes a ring pipe so a small adjustment would be all thats needed for it to exit in the proper location the cool factor also part of the equasion.

concerning the tail wheel I learned alot from my P-47 build,one thing they can be a pain sometimes[>:],my thoughts are that I will go with the robart mech.its light and plastic, and do a custom lower portion to simulate the FW TW alot like the guys are doing on there corsair builds since onl.
on my JUG I needed a 1"throw air cylinder for retraction but since the TW is partally exposed on the FW a 1/2" piston should do it,then a pull/pull for stearing on the wheel,what I used was rubber coated steel fishing leader for the stearing and it works great,and is really light,then Sullivan golden rod pushrods,the inner tube as my guide tube there small and the hole is the perfect size for the steel leader.
I still havent decided if a single pushrod or P/P for the rudder would be the most economical in weight and servicability
Old 04-17-2008, 10:09 PM
bigtim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

here are my ribs cut out,sanded, and dry fitted, to the ply stringer,since this is my first semi-plans built model in 30yrs,I built a couple when I was in my teens,I figured a exacto knife was fine for cutting balsa,I soon realized that a stanley utility knife was made for this job and made quick work of this little chore, its alot more comfortable in the hand and I have at least a 1/2doz. of them laying around since I do carpentry for work.

since its one of the few tools I don't have in my downstairs shop,I am planning on getting a mini scroll/bandsaw to do some of the plywood work,I cut the stringers out with my utility knife and a razor saw.it wasn't that hard but that was just light ply for the heavy stuff I will need something a bit better to make some more accurate cutsfor the fuse formers and some of the thicker balsa like the wing tips,and other unavoidable areas,like top of rudder and elevator parts.

Name:	Jh16078.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	931707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91456.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	931708  
Old 04-18-2008, 07:03 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

nice job , keep us posted please
Old 04-18-2008, 07:15 PM
bigtim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks Lou I will try to keep the progress steady,I borrowed a scroll saw from work so I will be hitting the light ply this weekend so I can cut some more parts out and get some glue on wood I have alot of ideas for this plane I want to try out, as well as some color schemes to sort through there are alot to chose from.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:14 PM
fw190a8

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey bigtim,
I'm not going to use the century jet tailwheel assembly...I decided to do a fixed one instead....It will propably be similar to a nose wheel setup....I'll have to see what I can find a my local hobby shop.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:44 PM
bigtim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

check out the Dubro TW if they have one there pretty good for a fixed set up, I used the one from my Top Flight P-47, for my Hangar-9 Mustang,placing it at the scale location and making a pivot point that is external to the fuse but the same applys to a internal stearing mech as well,if you go to www.towerhobbies.com and check out the manual for the spitfire the instructions go into detail on this installation,its where I came up with the idea for my stang.
since the TW hangs outside of the fuse any way I don't think its a big scale deal,I just want mine to have that feature,thankfully there's no gear doors

Name:	Hf98350.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	932248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56893.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	932249  
Old 04-18-2008, 09:19 PM
fw190a8

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey BigTim,
That looks really smart...I like that setup. I'll check out the manual as you suggest. At the very least it gives me an idea for this or the next project.

I should propably build one of these top flight models...to bad they don't have any big german warbirds.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:45 AM
bigtim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

so I got a bunch of the wing ply pieces cut out and the other balsa parts I needed,the dremmel scroll saw I am using has to be 25yrs old but works really well,the wing tips, wing leading edge,flap area trailing edge,and there notches in the wing ribs, were done in a flash,since the Top Flight Spitfire has split flaps, I used there method of framing the area, it works well, when I followed my drawings for the layout, and the extra framing also makes the wing more rigid.

I was going to use the Royal method of bell cranks for the ailerons, since the wing is a bit thin where a servo would sit,but I was doing a search, and found these they have the same torque as a standard servo but there half the weight, and size.
if any one has ever used these in a 60 size plane, I would welcome any input on there performance.
there also triple the cost, but its only money http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9&I=LM2115&P=K I will use them for,ailerons,to save a little weight as well as for the flaps since I plan on using one servo for them.

now for the good news the glue bottle has been opened and I framed up the first wing side tonight and plan on doing the other side tomorrow night,my hand cut parts went together surprisingly well,I should add that without the kit as a reference for cutting out parts, this would have been a major chore.
there are so many parts that are referenced but finding the actual dimentions would be a real pain the major ones are outlined but its the little details that can bog you down,just having to cut each piece by hand has been quite a task,and I am only on the wing.
my expierience in trim carpentry is coming in handy

so wing is in a basic frame,the gear mount area and the ply supports in place it went together rather fast so the other side should be done rather quickly,then the little details, I would like to get some sheeting done by this weekend but theres alot on my to do list so we shall see

Name:	Zx70500.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	935819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85683.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	935820  
Old 04-24-2008, 03:05 AM
bigtim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

here is a shot of my working plans I used 3 view drawings to reference,and then draw in scale size flaps for this model the ones that were outlined were not the right size and length and needed some help the plans are copies from Kinkos, I checked them for accuracy with the origonals there right on the $,

Name:	Us53108.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	935826  
Old 04-24-2008, 08:15 PM
bigtim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

chugging right along the other side roughed in,went faster than the first,got the aileron tip blocks glued up as well,using 2 pieces of 3/8 sandwiched together for the 3/4 blocks.
as for the logos talked to Gary at www.getstencils.com and I will be sending off my sheets to have the artwork done,he seems to have caught up with some of the backlog and I am in no rush.
the way things are going I am going to need to decide on the retracts,and those pricey little, servos,pretty quickly,I don't want to get bogged down too much.

Name:	Bz78996.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	936346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72021.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	936347  
Old 04-24-2008, 09:37 PM
fw190a8

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Bigtim,
Have you considered as an alternate hitec servos with similar characteristics, they are usually cheaper and just as good as far as I know.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:49 AM
bigtim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

so it looks like I will be able to fit a standard servo in the wing bay after all, I just need to move the servo closer to the wing root and I will mount it on a plywood plate the standard mount style so I am happy about that.
so I have my retract mount rails installed,and my aileron wing TE,I used the notch method to do this rather than the way royal recomended it works well and the basic frame is complete.
I also have put my little scroll saw to good use and have cut out a lot of the parts needed for the rudder and elevator const.
so since I happen to have the CJ retracts for the TF FW 190 D9 I figured I would give them a test to see if the space is large enough to handle the CJ gear I am a little disapointed since there looking like a really tight fit,I need to give this some thought and I might be going with the robart spring down gear and wire struts.

fw190a8 do you have any pics of your gear installation.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:02 PM
fw190a8

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bigtim

so it looks like I will be able to fit a standard servo in the wing bay after all, I just need to move the servo closer to the wing root and I will mount it on a plywood plate the standard mount style so I am happy about that.
so I have my retract mount rails installed,and my aileron wing TE,I used the notch method to do this rather than the way royal recomended it works well and the basic frame is complete.
I also have put my little scroll saw to good use and have cut out a lot of the parts needed for the rudder and elevator const.
so since I happen to have the CJ retracts for the TF FW 190 D9 I figured I would give them a test to see if the space is large enough to handle the CJ gear I am a little disapointed since there looking like a really tight fit,I need to give this some thought and I might be going with the robart spring down gear and wire struts.

fw190a8 do you have any pics of your gear installation.

Hi Bigtim,
Here are a few shots of my gear, I've got spring air stock #704 with robostrut 380 series struts.

I tried to get the retracts and wheels as close to the front of the wing as possible to keep the wieght in the front.
[img][/img]

Name:	Nl29222.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	942768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83453.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	942769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97554.jpg
Views:	106