Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

KMP Stuka-build details

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP Stuka-build details

Old 07-20-2007, 01:47 PM
Whistling Death

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KMP Stuka-build details

Thanks for all the information hookemut. I just got my Stuka yeaterday and I can't wait to get strated on it. I am going to put a G-23 in mine.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:08 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hookemut
WRT the RCV, there is a friend in Germany who is now building his Stuka, same kit, different hobby dealer. He is building his with added cooling provisions to accomodate the RCV 120SP. He will soon be running his engine, so you will have a good data base. We now have this Stuka flying with a RCV 91CD and with a YS 120FS. Hope you receive yours soon!
Jim
excellent Jim! Rumor has it mine has been shipped and will arrive next week sometime. Got the servos, rx and some other stuff already sorted out. Now to have some sleepness nights over which engine to slap up front

I am gonna think out loud here for a second so bare with me..what about the Evo26? Might be underpowered but a gas alternative would be great!
Old 07-21-2007, 05:44 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope you guys post your progress. If a gasser will fit up front, I'd be real interested in this Stuka.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:56 AM
alanc

can i just enquire? on seeing the frontal shots of the models in the threads, just WHERE are you going to fit the 2 gas engines you mention? we have now very succesfully flown the protoype on the RCV91 both with, and without the cannons,
hookums YS install also look good, although even this engine sticks out, it simply doesnt need the power of the mentioned engines, it seems such a shame to have to butcher it to get them installed, BUT, its your call, i am just trying to save you guys hassle
Old 07-21-2007, 09:34 AM
hookemut
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: DiabloKid
....I am gonna think out loud here for a second so bare with me..what about the Evo26? Might be underpowered but a gas alternative would be great!
ORIGINAL: Tom Crump
I hope you guys post your progress. If a gasser will fit up front, I'd be real interested in this Stuka.

[quote]ORIGINAL: alanc
...we have now very succesfully flown the protoype on the RCV91 both with, and without the cannons...
Hi guys-geeeze, this is like a three-way phone call
To answer both Diablo and Tom-I have attached a shot whch shows how the YS fits into my Stuka. From this shot, Diablo can see that the Evo front carb will wipe out the front lines of the Stuka cowl and besides, it is way too much power.
I like gas engines, but in their place and IMHO, the Stuka ain't that place. This is not your everyday, throw down, let's go fly model. Therefore, the cost of gas vs glow fuel is not significant. The finish put on the Stuka doesn't mind glow fuel or it's residue. We fly my Stuka on 1/2 power using my YS 120FS and Ian flies the English Stuka, with and without the whopping cannon pods, using the neat RCV 91CD. Nico will soon fly his Stuka with the RCV 120SP, so the results are out on that option.
If I had it to do all over again, and using the experience that I have now with the RCV 91CD, the YS, and the Stuka-I'd go with the RCV 91 in my Stuka, I continue to be amazed at the power and ease of operation with that engine.
I hope that some of this will help. As alan says, we're just trying to share our info and help.
Regards to all, will answer anytime as you go along, Diablo
hookemut
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77700.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	727412  
Old 07-21-2007, 10:05 PM
Whistling Death

On further examination, it looks like the cowl is too slim for a G-23. The carb. may be sticking out of the cowl. I will not butcher the cowl of such a beautiful plane. If my gasser won't fit, I am going to get a RVC 91-SP. I have wanted to try one of these cool little enigines out for a long time.
Anyway I won't know for sure until my engine comes back from RC Ignitions.
Now you guys need to help me find a home for a G-23.

Update, I went ahead and ordered a 91-SP and a 120-SP. I have plenty of options now.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:47 AM
alanc

carb, head, and half the crankcase!! i dont think you would have like the butchery involved, the sp series need ducting, to get the air over the finned area, and a decent exit out, but they should be fine,
Old 07-22-2007, 06:09 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You have confirmed my concerns. I wouldn't want to butcher this beautiful bird to fit my existing motor.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:24 AM
Whistling Death

Looking at the cowl, it looks as if it was built for a RCV engine. (Not saying it is , just that this plane and an SP seem to be a match made in heaven) The slope on the bottom side is perfect for putting some slots and adding "ducting" to get air up on the engine.
I had a thought, there are different varients of the Stuka that the bottom scoop on the cowl comes up futher than on this one. A guy could customize the cowl to make a bigger intake. It would cover up the bigger inverted fourstrokes as well.

Name:	Pn36678.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	727879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ul80664.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	727880  
Old 07-22-2007, 11:36 AM
hookemut

ORIGINAL: BBOwen

Looking at the cowl, it looks as if it was built for a RCV engine. (Not saying it is , just that this plane and an SP seem to be a match made in heaven) The slope on the bottom side is perfect for putting some slots and adding "ducting" to get air up on the engine.
I had a thought, there are different varients of the Stuka that the bottom scoop on the cowl comes up futher than on this one. A guy could customize the cowl to make a bigger intake. It would cover up the bigger inverted fourstrokes as well.
engine.
[/quote]
Hi BB,
Yes, you are right on-if you find a side-on pic of the JU-87 B or C models (ours is the Ju 87 D and G), you will get the shorter nose, which will 'swallow' up the engine more, at least fore and aft. I'm sure that nico, Stuka model builder in Germany, would't mind if I show you a pic of his Stuka with accomodations for the RCV 120SP involving internal cooling baffles, an external inlet, and such. By the way, he has/is adding 'realism' via paint. But here again-we now have flight results with this kit now being flown successfully with the RCV 91CD, with an OS 120FS, and with a YS-120FS-screwing up the cowling lines for a bigger engine is not necessary.
hookemut

Name:	Wu62037.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	727929  
Old 07-23-2007, 11:07 AM
nicostoffi

ORIGINAL: BBOwen

engine.
Hi BB,
Yes, you are right on-if you find a side-on pic of the JU-87 B or C models (ours is the Ju 87 D and G), you will get the shorter nose, which will 'swallow' up the engine more, at least fore and aft. I'm sure that nico, Stuka model builder in Germany, would't mind if I show you a pic of his Stuka with accomodations for the RCV 120SP involving internal cooling baffles, an external inlet, and such. By the way, he has/is adding 'realism' via paint. But here again-we now have flight results with this kit now being flown successfully with the RCV 91CD, with an OS 120FS, and with a YS-120FS-screwing up the cowling lines for a bigger engine is not necessary.
hookemut

[/quote]

Hi Jim,

no Problem.
You can show all pics if you want.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:52 PM
SunShyne

Gents

I recieved my Stuka today!

It will sit for a while, my funds are not disposable this month. I have decided on an engine which most likely will be the RCV91, I cant stand the thought of cutting up the cowl so im gonna go for that. Once I get time and the funds ill get the motor and install futaba 3010's that I already have ready for it. Should be fun and ill post some pics once I get started

matt
Old 07-31-2007, 08:18 AM
hookemut

Hi 'kid

Gents

I recieved my Stuka today!

It will sit for a while, my funds are not disposable this month. I have decided on an engine which most likely will be the RCV91, I cant stand the thought of cutting up the cowl so im gonna go for that. Once I get time and the funds ill get the motor and install futaba 3010's that I already have ready for it. Should be fun and ill post some pics once I get started

matt
\
Hi matt,
Wonderful news! You have been so patient waiting for your Stuka! And it will be a fun build, I'm sure-many of us look forward to following along with your build.
Best wishes,
Jim
Old 08-01-2007, 08:58 PM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

There is one of these sitting in my my local hobby shop . It is really great looking. I have aBirelli 26cc gasser and I think it will fit in the front. Will have to look and measure the front to see how the muffler will fit. Stuka is one of my fav birds. Need to try and find the guy making the sirons and see if I can convince him to make me one...
Old 08-02-2007, 12:11 AM
SunShyne

Hi matt,
Wonderful news! You have been so patient waiting for your Stuka! And it will be a fun build, I'm sure-many of us look forward to following along with your build.
Best wishes,
Jim
thanks Jim, gonna need a kik once ina while to get me on it, my schedule is so crazy its hard to find 2 hours a week to get some work done in the shop but ill give it the ol' college try!

Bull - someone asked me about the whistle as well, id love to add one to mine, make it more fun when divebombing over the Mustangs at the field
Old 08-23-2007, 08:38 PM
ghost-RCU
My Feedback: (10)

Did you guys get a Swastika decal with your Stuka or was it painted on. I just took mine out of the box. No instructions & no Swastika on the tail.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:15 PM
hookemut

ORIGINAL: ghost-RCU

Did you guys get a Swastika decal with your Stuka or was it painted on. I just took mine out of the box. No instructions & no Swastika on the tail.
Hi,
Do you have the Great Planes Stuka or the KMP Stuka?
Great Planes bowed to the establishment and had no swastika on or in their kit. KMP Stuka has the correct swastika mounted on the tail and painted (clear) over.
I'm curious as to your reply.
hookemut
Old 08-23-2007, 11:21 PM
hookemut

[/quote]

thanks Jim, gonna need a kik once ina while to get me on it, my schedule is so crazy its hard to find 2 hours a week to get some work done in the shop but ill give it the ol' college try!

Bull someone asked mea bout the whistle as well, id love to ad done to mine, make it more fun when divebombing over the Mustangs at the field
[/quote]
Hi,
I bid and won a Great Planes Stuka. It is in no way what our KMP Stukas are, but it still has the salient Junkers features. It will get my sweet RCV 91CD for power. Now it is the 'B' version, so it did have the 'trumpets of jerico'. The KMP Stuka was more known for it's 'Kanon"
regards,
hookemut
Old 08-23-2007, 11:32 PM
ghost-RCU

Yes I have the KMP Stuka. No swastika on mine.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:33 PM
SunShyne

Gents

I have favored the new RCV 130 that is due very soon for this bird. I want the extra authority in the power band so im gonna wait for this engine over using the rcv91. Servos are ready, electronics laid out, now once those new juicy 130's cross the pond from England ill be off to the races
Old 08-24-2007, 01:00 AM
alanc

today i get first look at our delivery, at the 4 day brit nationals, i will look at our kits, and report back, and do you mean you have no build instructions? it will be tuesday before i get back to the computer
Old 08-24-2007, 05:51 AM
ghost-RCU

Yes no build instructions & no Swastikas.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:43 AM
hookemut

Gents

I have favored the new RCV 130 that is due very soon for this bird. I want the extra authority in the power band so im gonna wait for this engine over using the rcv91. Servos are ready, electronics laid out, now once those new juicy 130's cross the pond from England ill be off to the races
Hi Diablo,
I don't mean to be a wet blanket, that being said-the RCV 130CD has been coming out 'next month' for many moons! believe me, you really don't need a lot of muscle for this model-and yes, as long as I've been in RC (since '57), I've been reminded what the throttle lever is for. LOL!! But seriously, have you begun building yet?
Regards,
Hookemut
Old 08-24-2007, 09:59 AM
hookemut

Yes no build instructions & no Swastikas.
Hi ghost, If I might ask, from whom did you get your Stuka? I'm asking because these models arrive at a distrubition center by container lots. Ours in the US generally come in thru KMP in Canada. I'll ask if they have received new lots without the swastika.
Ghost, here is the url for the Stuka instructions, it is an Adobe pdf file: http://www.kmp.ca/images/instructions/JU-87.pdf. I have already printed out several copies for myself, tho my kit (one of the first) came with instructions and the proper tail markings. Just had a curious thought-these kits also go thru a distribution center in Germany. Are swastika markings still prohibited in Germany?
Regards,
hookemut
Old 08-24-2007, 11:09 AM
hookemut

Hi ghost,
Ok, a bit more wrt your missing swastika. Understand, I'm merely a builder, having no business connection with these models. I have attached a pic of this Stuka as it has been asembled and weathered by a German modeler-Nico. Please note that there is no swastika on the tail!
I suspect that EMS-the Chinese parent of these kits-may have been advised to remove the swastika, much as had been done by Great Planes with their 2000 production of the Stuka. I've left a note with KMP, hoping to get a bit more on this.
regards,
hookemut

Name:	Tr49528.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	748541  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.