Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

KMP Stuka-build details

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP Stuka-build details

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 03:24 AM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: KMP Stuka-build details

Merry Christmas to everyone from Norway too! Only Minus 10 degrees celcius here now.

Regarding slack in the wing-joiner; I epoxied a piece of wood along the whole length of the joiner, and then sanded it down
until it fit again. No slop now. I think it is important to remove the slack if not glued.

Alanc;
I suggest ESM starts to use stronger joiners if the "basic one" isnt strong enough?

And wouldnt it be a good idea to start to sell spare parts, like top flite do for its giant scale P-40?

-Center sections
-Outer wing panels
-Fuselages
-Cowlings

Surely this would mean more bussiness for ESM, and we as customers can replace parts of our airplanes.

I really like my ESM Typhoon, Stuka and Corsair. Its terrible to decomission these wonderful planes just because of a
smashed wing panel or centre section.

Well, I must admit I dont; I repair them when damaged. But I would rather just buy a new part.
You see, In my world, its not like in ModelAirplaneNews with glossy perfect airplanes never to be damaged.
I am not a perfect pilot, I do mistakes. Damaged gear, wing tips cowlings....

If you suggest we should start gluing the joiner, the wing is destroyed forever if you break it.

And then the whole plane is to be thrown away? What kind of waste is that?

If you dont glue it, it can be replaced in case of a hard landing, or belly landing.

Oh, about cars; I do have an Estate Car. hehe. (But no estate [])

I like to have an ESM Stuka and an ESM Typhoon in the back, standing on their wheels, ready to go.

Just slide on the outer wingpanels, connect the DB9 connectors, tighten the M4 allen key bolts and off we go.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:32 AM
alanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nothing wrong with the joiners if they are used as designed, as part of a glued together construction, with no holes drilled in them for lightness, your explanation of taking the slack up by gluing extra material is a bonus, as for issuing spare parts, no probs,YT has them, and if we dont, they will be ordered trouble with spares is, you never know what to stock, YT have shelves full of spares that just are not wanted, mainly for the older plane, YT even used to break a kit up, to get a plane back into the air, but that stopped a while ago!!
Old 12-24-2010, 08:59 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Alan, it's good to hear that you stock extra parts. I wish the distributors here in the US would do that. I made some mistakes when assembling my Stuka and had some rough landings as well. A few things got dinged up and I'm unable to get spare parts. Wheel pants (terribly manufactured IMHO) and exhaust stacks are impossible to come by and no one seems to be able to get them. If you have any in stock I would be interested in ordering them from you.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:32 AM
kwik

ORIGINAL: irocbsa

Alan, it's good to hear that you stock extra parts. I wish the distributors here in the US would do that. I made some mistakes when assembling my Stuka and had some rough landings as well. A few things got dinged up and I'm unable to get spare parts. Wheel pants (terribly manufactured IMHO) and exhaust stacks are impossible to come by and no one seems to be able to get them. If you have any in stock I would be interested in ordering them from you.
That is my problem as well. The distributors in Norway. Didnt occur to me to contact YT in the UK.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:42 AM
kwik

Here is the siren I bought for my Stuka;

A so called Wolo Mighty Mo ;

http://www.buyautotruckaccessories.c...o-motor-siren/

It is quite small, weights 170 grams, and produce a very powerful sound.

It has a motor that turns some kind of a fan,and sounds very close to the stuka-sound, a continous sound.
Funny how that "fan" can produce such a powerful siren-sound.

A Lipo 11.1 Volts seems to drive it quite well.

I plan to put it in the middle of the center-section, pointing downwards. Noone will notice the hole for it, I think.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:24 AM
Andrew_S

Hey Kwik, so how is she flying? I'd love to hear the siren in action......I;m thinking of going electric on mine. I'm still having aerovate engine issues. I know absolutely nothing about electrics. Any ideas on what I need to get?
Old 01-02-2011, 12:26 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would love to see a video of the siren in action
Old 01-02-2011, 01:10 PM
kwik

Andrew, Sunshyne,

I promise I will make a video of a bomb-run with the siren in action. Hopefully we will hear it !

I guess a video of it on the ground is of no interest.

The stuka is ready to go with its new engine. But I need good wheather in the weekend. It is dark when I get home from work.....

Andrew, the 26 cc class (and thereabout) petrol engines often has a smaller carb than the larger ones.

It seems to me the quality of these smaller carbs isnt allways so good ? I had a Roto-25, and had to buy 2 carbs ,
so it didnt run properly until I installed the 3'rd carb. Very annoying.

Electrics?
I think the safest route is to copy a setup that works for a similar sized plane.
Copy the setup of motor, controller, propeller and batteries. From someone who has tested it in flight.

Otherwise you can easily be "burned". I have, and it doesnt feel good.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:56 AM
AIRPLANENUTS
My Feedback: (2)

Kwik, based on your post, I just ordered one of those sirens. I've requested a .wav file from Wolo, and if they send it, I'll post it.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:42 AM
kwik

Okay, Airplanenuts. I sure hope it is loud enough when the plane gets up there. Everything is different then.

I might get a test-flight tomorrow. But the wheather-forecast is changing daily now, so we will see.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:54 AM
irocbsa

The Aerovate (RCGF) engines have a junk carb on them as delivered. I started a thread in the gas engine section that documents the troubles that so many people have had with these carbs. It's mandatory that they be replaced with a genuine Walbro unit if you ever want them to run right.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:42 PM
AIRPLANENUTS

Good luck Kwik!
Old 01-09-2011, 01:30 AM
kwik

Thanks Airplanenuts! There is no sun today, even though they said it would be 2 days ago.

So they cannot forecast 2 days, but they think they can forcast the climate 100 years from now.

Go figure.

Andrew, here is a building thread where Sean McHale tells us about his electric setup;

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...070&PN=0&TPN=6
Old 01-09-2011, 01:39 AM
TA152

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's snowing lightly here now Kwik. But nice temperature -4,5 degrees.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:57 AM
kwik

Okay, we didnt want to do any flying while it was snowing.

The airlfield is 30 minutes drive from my home, it didnt snow here, so instead I did a little test outside.

At full speed the engine noise overpower the siren somewhat.

But when you are in a dive you are likely to throttle back anyway, so I think we will hear it;

Here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTbj6xJCjWM
Old 01-09-2011, 09:07 AM
AIRPLANENUTS

Kwik, that's awesome! Have you already posted info and pics of the siren setup? If not, I would love to know how you set your system up. Thanks for the video. I can't wait to get the siren in and get it installed in my Stuka.

Rick
Old 01-10-2011, 07:26 PM
canadian8apilot

I just got my KMP stuka yesterday, looks ok, been looking through the thread and found lots of good info here.
The ARF looks pretty good, and a 32cc gasser will find itès way under the hood. The cockpit is a bit cheesy, and the hardwear is about what I expected...crappy...but once I am done my current project, a scrach built DO28 skyservant of my own design, http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=73418 I'll get going on the stuka..

Bill
Old 01-11-2011, 05:04 AM
irocbsa

Nice job kwik! If we could find a way to ramp up the volume and pitch a bit slower it would sound really good.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:50 AM
fa18frog

irocbsa,

I noticed in a post that you were going to mount a DLE-30 in your Stuka. I have a DLE-30 and wondering if it will fit in the Stuka and what exhaust system you used to fit it under the cowl.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:26 AM
irocbsa

I'll paraphrase what I sent you in a PM here for everyone else'e benefit.

I would not recommend putting a gas engine in this plane at all unless its configured like the Saito FG or the Evo engines. The "standard shape" rear carb gassers like DLE/RCGF/CRRC/etc. require way too many modifications to fit in the cowl without having to hack it to pieces. If you don't mind having to cut a large section out of the side of the cowl for the exhaust then you will have no problem using a gas engine. However, if you want to maintain a more scale appearance you're going to have to custom fab a muffler assembly. I was able to do this since I have access to guys at work that can weld aluminum and we were able to constuct my design for no charge. If you can't weld aluminum or don't have access to those resources at a cheap cost you're not going to be able to find an off the shelf muffler that will fit within the cowl. I have spent way too much time building and fabbing and not nearly enough time flying because I went with a gasser. If I had to do it all over again, I would use a large four stroke glow engine. This is just my humble opinion based on my personal experience. Hopefully it can save someone else the trouble.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:59 PM
canadian8apilot

Welding and Fab'ing is not an issue, I have a spool gun, and access to a TIG welder, and I like a bit of a challenge.
I built a pitts style muffler with smoke coils for one of me dl50's and other than being a bit heavyer than a costome unit, works just fine.
That being said, I am told that Andrew has a muffler that will fit in the cowl for the 32cc gasser.

Bill
Old 01-13-2011, 10:51 PM
frank99
My Feedback: (29)

man iam not sure which sound the best the fg or the siren , all time fav german war bird, have a old royal .60 hanger queen never got a engine , and want one of the big ones, can i come over and see it fly thanks frank
Old 01-16-2011, 11:23 AM
kwik

Folks, the wheather is against us here in Norway nowadays. Last weekend it was snow. This weekend it was snow and fog.

On working days it is often sun and nice wheather.The clouds are back friday evening, and the sun is back monday morning.

So, no flying, no video. ( Just some parkzone fun with Hartmanns 109 )

I have a couple of pics of the installation, though. As you can see I accepted a big hole underneath.

I am into practical scale, not high level scale. not many will notice that hole.

About ramping up the level.....maybe a big, say 4700 microfarad capacitor would do the trick.....
Dont forget that during a dive and flyby we will probably get the doppler effect helping us....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41118.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	1548886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62409.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	1548887  
Old 01-22-2011, 09:30 AM
kwik

Finally a video with the siren in the air. Turn up the volume;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcQflHxaMXc
Old 01-22-2011, 10:05 AM
irocbsa

That's fantastic kwik! Next time you go out, try to get into a dive by rolling her upside down and pulling back on the elevator. If you do it directly over the field it should look great. Here's a video to help describe what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-qK5gbvCXI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.