Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Any Experiences with the Brian Taylor Hellcat Plans?

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Any Experiences with the Brian Taylor Hellcat Plans?

Old 04-08-2007, 04:07 AM
SMUGator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Experiences with the Brian Taylor Hellcat Plans?

Well to make a long story short, I got pulled into the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2530290/tm.htm]CMP Hellcat Bash Thread[/link] and couldn't lay off buying all of Luke's scale goodies because he does such a nice job with everything, and it's hard to predict how long they will be available. I'd really prefer to build from plans than to bash an ARF and the BT plans seem like the best choice. They have a couple of shortcomings, in that they don't include flaps or retracts. Neither of these scare me as I am comfortable scratching those bits out. I've also heard that the cowl is no longer available through Bob Holman. That's a little bigger headache, but can also be scratched up if needed.

I have a couple of questions for the board:

[ul][*] Who has built from these plans and what were your overall impressions?[*] Are there other kits or plans in the 63" range that I should be thinking about?[*] Are there other sources of cowls or short kits that might be helpful on the BT plans?[/ul]

Thanks in advance.
Tom

Old 04-08-2007, 04:18 AM
alanc

Default RE: Any Experiences with the Brian Taylor Hellcat Plans?

I ACTUALLY FRAMED ONE OF THESE UP YEARS AGO, but it got trashed in a house-move accident, its a BIG build, for a small, by todays standards model, it starts with a square type longeron and spacer structure, to which is added the top, side, and bottom formers, to give the fuselage shape, then, it has to be planked, the wing is a FOREST of balsa all on its own, i didnt bother with retracts, or flaps at the time, in my opion, it could be built far more simply, by building the intitial girder box fuzz, and then adding the outer formers, it feels like you are building the fuzz TWICE, , but then, if you like building, it may be for you, as for the cowl, brian has now retired from the plan business, i believe, but, if you wish, i will contact him, and ask him if he has a cowl/canopy set, and i will try to get them to you, being in the UK, i can do this, but, i have an idea it might cost a few bucks!!!
Old 04-08-2007, 04:32 AM
SMUGator

Thanks for the quick reply. Bucks aren't a big concern if it's a good set of plans. Sounds like your feelings were a bit mixed? If you'd be willing to reach out to Brian with an inquiry on the cowl, It would be most helpful.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 04-08-2007, 05:00 AM
alanc

i will do what i can about the plans, cowl, and canopy, feelings mixed? it was when a big closet (wardrobe over here, old boy) fell on it, 6months work gone, it was a FOREST of a build, and, to be honest, i would not have the patience now, but, if you like balsa bashing, go for it,
Old 04-08-2007, 10:23 AM
tony-howard
My Feedback: (224)

Tom

I have a BT / Holman Hellcat fiberglass kit which I planned to start this spring. When I ordered it last summer from Bob Holman he didn't have the cowl, but he felt sure Brian would send him one later in the year.

Last week I heard from Bob and there will be no more Hellcat cowls. Period. Not even mine. So it sounds like you're on your own for a cowl if you go with this kit.

I didn't pay too much attention to the plans since I have the glass fuselage and plan to cut foam cores for the wing and stab. My impression though is that they take a lot of interpretation and - probably - some adjustment and improvision. That's true of the BT Mustang kits I have also. It's nothing that an experienced builder couldn't handle however.

It sure appears Brian Taylor is out of the business. At the moment I'm not too happy with his leaving me hanging.

FWIW

Tony
Old 04-08-2007, 11:28 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As it happens: I have a spare cowl, AND canopy. I have the complete Holman kit (including 'glass fuselage) that I bought about 3 years ago on eBay. I am saving this kit for my retirement days (hopefully, less then 3 years away).
Anyway, I picked up a CMP Hellcat about 2 years ago, decided the canopy was gawd awful, and after comparing the fuselage to th Holman drawings, I realized that Holman parts were a perfect fit (because the CMP is actually a 1/8 scale fuselage with a stretched wing). SO, I ordered another Holman canopy and cowl for the CMP kit, then decided to get an H-9 Hellcat instead, so I sold the CMP. I kept the spare parts however (Holman canopy and cowl). The Holman part do not work with the H-9, as the fuselage is a little oversized.

Anyone interested: I'll sell the spare cowl and canopy for $50 shipped (USA ONLY). E-mail if interested.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:11 PM
SMUGator

Thanks Jim,

PM sent.

Tom
Old 04-08-2007, 01:34 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys should learn the skill of glass fabrication, casting and vac forming . Nothing becomes obsolete, rare, or one of a kind hard to find. Technical support all here somewhere.

Steve
Old 04-08-2007, 01:45 PM
SMUGator

I agree with you, and I have all of those skills. However laying up fiberglass parts isn't my favorite part of the hobby, so I'll tend to buy those bits like cowls if they are available at a reasoable cost. If I don't find a glass cowl, I'll probably stick build it.

Tom
Old 04-08-2007, 03:09 PM
alanc

but the design always stays the property of the designer, try copying a component, without the design owners permission here, and its a day in coart, IF, they find out, but i agree, it would be nice to save some of the older designs for prosperity
Old 04-08-2007, 04:46 PM
tony-howard
My Feedback: (224)

An interesting point.

Brian Taylors plans are widely available on e*bay from various sources.

There was a local hobby expo here a couple of weekends ago and one vendor had a booth selling Ziroli plans. At a discount I might add.

At the expo a friend sold a completely built up Proctor plane to a well know ARF supplier who told him he intends to use the plans that went with the sale to bring out an ARF version under his brand.

There are a multitude of other examples.

So who do you go after? And even if you win, will you stop it or get any compensation? As a practical matter this proliferation of property is well past control.

Sad.

OK, I'm outa here taking my soap box with me.

Tony
Old 04-08-2007, 05:09 PM
SMUGator

ORIGINAL: alanc

i will do what i can about the plans, cowl, and canopy, feelings mixed? it was when a big closet (wardrobe over here, old boy) fell on it, 6months work gone, it was a FOREST of a build, and, to be honest, i would not have the patience now, but, if you like balsa bashing, go for it,
Hi Alan,

I was able to work out a deal with CorsairJock for his spare cowl, so I'm taken care of for the moment.

Tom
Old 04-08-2007, 06:30 PM
hellcat 1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are a couple of pictures of a Brian Taylor Hellcat I built. I used the fiberglass fuse but built the wings and stab and rudder. It has scale hinging on the ailerons and stab with flaps and retracts. It flys fine but I orginally had Rhom Air rotating retacts in it and at 12 lbs they just couldn't handle it. I never did really break it but now I have modified a set of Spring Airs to rotate and they seem to work fine. If you have built several planes from plans I don't think it is any more diffucult than anything else. The flaps are the hardest thing to get set up right. I also used a Robart retractable tailwheel in it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27015.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	660019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75295.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	660020  
Old 04-09-2007, 12:40 AM
SMUGator

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm now committed to this build.

Tom
Old 04-09-2007, 04:41 AM
alanc

glad you got sorted, if i can be of any help to you guys, here in the UK, please let me know, it would be nice to see a good re**** here from a UK modellor, than someone being ripped off!!
Old 04-09-2007, 04:44 AM
alanc

building the wings, as i remember, was straight forward, but Brians method of fuzz building leaves me cold, still, i work with YT/KMP, havnt got those worries any more eh???
Old 04-09-2007, 11:46 AM
SMUGator

Someone sent me an offer offline to sell the full kit including a Luke's scale bits and a fiberglass fuse. I don't need many of the extras, but the fuse is intriguing. Any opinions on the scale outlines and quality? There's another part of me that wants to stick build the fuse just to understand Brian's approach.

Tom
Old 04-09-2007, 03:56 PM
alanc

BUY THE FUZZ, BUY THE FUZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Old 04-09-2007, 05:26 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with you alanc. But I, for my personal use, I fabricate any part I find I can improve or will need in the future. None of which are offerd for sale by me..

Although many "original design" models are copies of of pre-existing plans or airframes, I have yet to see a US company waste time and money in court for such minimal issues.

This was according to an American model company a few years back. One had to show "damages" that they suffered. Imagine the damage at $500.00 per hour.

Steve
Old 04-09-2007, 05:45 PM
alanc

i understand this, but over here, its deemed a no-no, and we have a little thing called the small claims coart, where your battles are fought for very little money, one UK designer in particuar, has fought a few times to protect his wares, and his models are the easiest ripped in the UK,