Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Thunder Tiger RN Sea Fury FB.11

Yeah, it scares the crap out of me to fly mine. I am going to rip it apart tonight and move the engine as far forward as I can to see if I can shave off some weight. I think I may have about an inch or so on the motor mount that I can take advantage of. It may not help much, but at this point I am willing to try anything.

Canberra , Australian Capital Territory, AUSTRALIA

[&o] I've dicsovered I got the wrong exhaust so I've ordered another one from my LHS. I'm also getting some extensions so I can route the exhaust out both sides of the cowl.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I got My September Fury off the ground today. As I was getting ready to take off, one of the guys noticed that the engine had significant downthrust. I looked at it from the ground and if was the first time I noticed it too. It seems to be one of the reasons I keep nosing the dam thing over. I went up anyway and flew around for a few. I wanted to get a handle on landing this beast so the first line up I got, it was floating in farther fast even with full flaps on . I leveled out and the instant it touched the ground, both landing gear ripped right out of the wings...and I mean the instant it touched the ground. I have read some threads that it need to be reinforced, but I have no clue how to do it. I have to rebuild it now anyway but have any of you reinforced the mounts yet?

Also, someone PLEASE tell me how much weight they are adding to the nose and the total weight of the bird. That would be really helpful.

FInally, lets keep this thread going and share/learn from one another...there are ZERO threads on the Spetember Fury anywhere (ok there are a couple but NONE that are remotelly helpful).

Thanks fellas,

-B

Really very sorry to hear about your retracts. I can only say I have used glass to reinforce mine in the past, but haven't had many problems so I can't offer muuch more than that.

I cranked up the ST 2300 today! I gotta say the sight of that thing spinning the four blade is really impressive.

I have used some silicone gasket goo to create wing saddles to take out the non too small gap I could see after setting up the wings according to the plans. I was a bit surprised AND disappointed to see quite a gap, despite fiddling a fair bit to get a flush fit. I can safely say the wings will not separate in mid-air because after yanking on them VERY VERY hard last night I couldn't get them apart. I had set up finishing epoxy and micro-balloons to make the saddles (done this a few times and it works a treat). When it came time to spearate the wings from the fuze - hey presto they wouldn't come apart! I thought I had let the epoxy mix cure too much and I panicked a bit. I thought the wings were stuck fast.

After about 5 minutes of tugging and pulling (with my wife helping so I could get a good purchase on the heave) I suddnely remembered i had left the screws that go into the wing joiner glass tube in place. When I took them out, the wings came away nicely. Of course, by then the epoxy/micros had been disturbed s I was back to square one. I then decided to use the silicone, which worked out much better. It's black, so it doesn't stick out as being silicone, and it makes a nice snug fit.

Despite the panic last night, today has been a bit better. I've now started putting the air in and she should be ready to fly next week.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

anyone have any idea on how to reinforce retract mounts?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have seen a very detailed discription of how to do so in the TT RARE BEAR forum on RCUniverse.....
    The retract mount construction is summular to the seafury....
    Let me know what you find!

By the way, I have always loved the shape of the wings on the seafury!..... It is just this awsome butter/table knife shape,,, that is somewhat comparable to the thunderbolt....
    Enjoying the build.....
    I had though about picking up the Kondo models Seafury, but it is quite pricey....
    This seems to be more in the range...

ORIGINAL: babenson

anyone have any idea on how to reinforce retract mounts?
    If you can\'\'\'\'t dazzle em with brilliance,baffle em with BS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

bab , if i can make a siggestion I dont have this version but have the 66" willshobby (a top flight copy ) . I worked from the botton of the plane so not to disturb the visable flight surface .
    I removed enought arae to work in the wing , added flit skin -its better and lighter then glass in my opinion and very easy to use . I cut panels , CA them to the inner sheeting from fron leading edge to middle spar then middle spar to as far back aft as I could .
    Then I added layer of 1/2 birch rails from the base of the retract rail to the base of the inner top sheeting forming one solid foundation .
    Use can use a dremil tool to simply sand away any layers needed for the retract to fit perfactly .
    I cut 4 new play doublers , you can use a contour tool purchased at any wood shop for $12 to copy the rib outline exactly , added the ply doublers on each side of the retract ,
    I know have one rock solid kick as.... set up .
    LDM

I have finally finished the Fury! She's ready to go, but I'm having trouble getting the flap servos to stop binding. I'm not sure what the problem is so I may have to fly it without the flaps hooked up. (Not ideal and not REALLY happy about that to tell you the truth).

She weighs in at a healthy <7kgs (my scales are playing up so I may have to revise that figure before the maiden). I've put an onboard glow on the ST2300 although it doesn't really need it. She ticks over very nicely without it but I put them on all my warbirds as insurance.

I have upscaled the main wheels and stuck with the supplied tailwheel. She has a Top Flite cockpit kit, Centrury jet pilot and sliding rails for the canopy.

Here's some pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ki18008.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	752361   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr54829.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	752362  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice job , did you have to add weight to the nose .
    Aslo on the flaps I had the same problem with my P40 flaps , I ended up changing the angle of the pushrod exit , taht seem to help
    LDM

I'm gonna check the balance tomorrow. My balance machine broke! I think I will have to put some weight in the nose, but I've got plenty of room for the battery to go forward (I've put the glow battery in the supplied battery box under the cowl and there's plenty of room for more weight to go in there (the receiver battery can go that far forward if necessary)). I'll let you know on the balance when she's done.

When you say you changed the angle of the pushrod exit, can you describe that a bit more for me?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

these warbirds like to land with flaps if you have them!
    I would get them working before you test fly it for the first time!

I have learned that it is easier to take a little more time to make it right than take a tone of time to fix the plane after it has hit the firma!!

JMHO!

Looks great by the way!

Justin

Thanks for your comments Justin. You are absolutely right about the flaps and I want to get them right before I fly. I just can't seem to get the bloody servos to stop binding. I've bought some larger arms to see if the change of angle works, but failing that I'm a bit stumped. Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I know this sounds goofy but what is it that is binding on the flaps?
    Do you have End point adjustment feature for you servos on you radio?
    does the binding occur at the stops of the servo, or does it sound like the servo is having a hell of a time moving the flaps accordingly thorugh out the rang of motion?
    Are the servos digital? What are the brand and model of the servos? Have you checked your reciever batteries to make sure that a week battery is not giving the servo enough oz of Torque?
    If you could post a picture of the issue (if it is visual) we might have some suggestions.....

Justin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Found a great place to buy Thunder tiger models....

http://www.thundertiger4u.com/index.htm

Free shiping for 150$ adn above....
    Not sure about over size stuff though....

G'day Justin,

Thanks for your input mate. The servos are not binding during travel, only at both ends of their movement. I have a Futaba 9CAP Super which allows me to do end point and minor trim adjustments on each servo. It seems to be that if I want the flaps to sit flush against the trailing edge, they bind, if I then flick the down switch, they will bind ( I can adjust the down so they don't bind, but I get much less travel that way). I have the flaps on channels 6 & 7, synchro'd to each other and assigned to a two way switch, rather than a knob. I think it's to do with getting the flaps to sit up against the trailing edge properly that is the problem. I'll take a couple of shots an post them. Dave

Looking at the flaps with the push rods disconnected, the pic shows the extent they will close without any pressure. They are free to move, but to get them to sit flush I think I may have to take a bit out of the area near the hinges? What do you think?

Name:	Wu59412.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	752803  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So the flaps do not close up flush w/o pressure even with the pushrod not attached? Or with it?

what are the hinges made out of?? are the pined, ca fabric hinges?

It is hard to tell from that pict, to tell you what to do...

If it binds w/o any pushrod attatched, then yes, you will have to go to the hing area and check wat is causing it.... I would think about it for a while though, because once you start to shave away,,,, it is gone...

It is hard to diagnos.... from here that is...
    I would look at
    www.downonthedeck.com and look at the Instructional video about control horns and servo placement...
    They do a great job of explaining the whole angle idea thing with servo arms and ther erelation to the surface hinge and horns....
    Justin

Thanks kochj,

The hinges are ca fabric hinges and the flaps do not sit flush with or without the push rod attached. They will only sit flush under pressure, which makes the servo bind. I've just had a thought though, I haven't set up the servo so the neutral position is when the flap is flush in the "up" position, and the only travel is fully "down" which may cause some servo noise (which would only be for a short time during landing). I'll try that and see if things improve.

Duh!! guess what - problem solved. Sheesh, what a dumb ass![:@]

I have discussed the balance point with several experienced members of my Club and LHS and they all agree the 95mm as indicated on the plans is simply WRONG! When you look closely at the picture depicted it shows a panel line which is 140mm from the leading edge (95mm is just too far forward). If you draw a line from the 95mm mark at the wing root, the line comes out on the tip at the leading edge which does not give you the 30% ratio of the wing area. If you measure back 115-120mm at the wing root, it brings you out to a point along the main spar at the wing tip, which makes much more sense to me. Now I'm not saying balance it there, but I balanced mine at 120mm with 200g of lead in the nose and she is perfect. Depending on the power plant you use, this figure may well differ, but I'm more than satisfied with mine the way it is. I will maiden her on Tuesday and let you know how she went. Remember, I'm using a ST 2300 with a Pitts style muffler and I've done a bit of work on a sliding canopy which is behind the CG, hence the added weight up front. Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Glad to here it!!!
    Thank goodness you didn't just start shaving away!!!

ORIGINAL: DVM100

Duh!! guess what - problem solved.

maiden flight today!! She flies like a dream. I had to do two clicks of left aileron and four clicks down elevator and that was it. landing...well that was difficult. difficult only because the bloody undercarriage tore[:'(] straight out. What did I find - NO BLOODY GLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:@][:@][:@]

a bit of glass and epoxy and she'll fly again tomorrow

new decals look good....

Name:	Xv63910.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	765359  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

NO DAMAGE TO THE WING i HOPE?

Not a bit of damage to the wing or fuze. The only bit of damage suffered was a broken 4 blade prop and one of the radiator intakes was cracked. I put it down to pilot skill but others may suggest shere bloody good luck!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DVM 100

I agree that the cg is incorrect, but the consequences of testing this theory is way out of my budget range. I have the TT Sept Fury wiht an OS. 120 on the nose. When I balance at 95MM this comes straight over the wheel wells. Should it NOTbe directly over the carbon fiber wing tube? This runs contradictory to every single arf I have ever built. I am adding nearly 1.5 pounds of lead to the nose and I have a 480o batter mounted under the enging and I moved the engine ads far forwaqrd as the mount would allow.

This is a huge oversight on TT part if the cg is in fact 120 mm behind the center line.

Please recap for me if you don;t mind the exact location of the cd in your estimate.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I also have built that way - wing tube is CG.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast