Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top Flite P-47 Stab Directions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flite P-47 Stab Directions

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 09:23 PM
dingo9882

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite P-47 Stab Directions

Well you think because I graduated college recently that I could handle instructions but I am guessing now that is wrong. I have a few questions about some sections on this build. In the section on building the tail surfaces on numbers 11-14 I am stumped. Something so simple I am guessing yet it is not "clicking" in for me. The instructions state that I need to bevel the LE of the ribs to match the aft sweeping angle of the LE. Now I hate to ask this but I have read this over and over again. To me this means that I have not glued on the Stab LE's on yet. I will then sand the fronts of the ribs...top and bottom to match the whole rib..is this correct? Then on number 14 it states that I must use a razor plane and sanding to trim the top of the LE and the TE even with and at the same angle as the top of the ribs. Now, this means to me that I have already glued on the LE's as stated in Number 13. From there I will sand the LE's..not the ribs..to match the same angle of the ribs. Is this correct as well? Its also stating to do this to the TE as well. In this case is the TE of the Horizontal Stab or of the Elevators? Now for you TF Giant P-47 guys this is all probably very trivial but, I knew this was the only place for help because you have built this before or are presently building it. I plan on being on here very very often at the rate I am going.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:26 PM
robflyer82
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Top Flite P-47 Stab Directions

The beveling is so that the LE is flush against the ribs (see pic). I'm not sure what you meant by "sand the fronts of the ribs...top and bottom to match the whole rib".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54507.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	1042939  
Old 09-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Craig-RCU

ORIGINAL: dingo9882
The instructions state that I need to bevel the LE of the ribs to match the aft sweeping angle of the LE. To me this means that I have not glued on the Stab LE's on yet.
Correct. For your information I have built the Topflight 60 size P-47, not the Giant scale, but I've looked through the instructions of the giant scale version and have found the process and instructions to be almost identical.

I will then sand the fronts of the ribs...top and bottom to match the whole rib..is this correct?
The beveling of the leading edge of the ribs is only meant to increase the contact area of the ribs to the leading edge piece. Only bevel the leading edge of the ribs where they will contact the leading edge piece.

Then on number 14 it states that I must use a razor plane and sanding to trim the top of the LE and the TE even with and at the same angle as the top of the ribs. Now, this means to me that I have already glued on the LE's as stated in Number 13. From there I will sand the LE's..not the ribs..to match the same angle of the ribs. Is this correct as well?
Correct. In effect, shape the LE and TE to match and continue the airfoil shape of the ribs

Its also stating to do this to the TE as well. In this case is the TE of the Horizontal Stab or of the Elevators?
It is the TE of the h.stab. I would also suggest that you go through the whole instruction manual before you start building (or at least the whole h. stab/elevator assembly process in this case). Doing this will clear some confusion for you.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:51 PM
dingo9882

Thank You very much everybody...you guys have cleared this stuff up much better.