Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

World Models AT6 1/7 Texan build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

World Models AT6 1/7 Texan build

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 09:32 AM
rchotrod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: World Models AT6 1/7 Texan build

That was a father and son team. I believe the son was in the first plane and the father in the second. They were coming in for landing.

For some reason the first plane slowed too soon and the second tried to take action to miss him but hit him and rolled into the ground.

Very tragic.

See ya,
Rod
Old 09-18-2007, 10:05 AM
MerlinFan
My Feedback: (27)

I heard that the pilot in the first plane had a seizure and hit the brakes. Sad.

As for the T6 I think that a G20 would be fine. A Saito 125 or Ys 110 would make it a hot rod. I had 2 RCV 91s on hand for a twin and when I'm done running two gallons of fuel through each one I might put in something larger. The firewall seems strong enough for the bigger engines.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:57 AM
kochj

Hmm.
That guy sould not have had been flying if he had a HX of siezures!! No way he should have been cleared.....
Cost his son his life! What a cross to bear!

texan.....
Well if you can put a zenoah in a H9 hellcat, that this should be able to take it no problem.... and it has flaps....
I would personally put in a magnum .91 4-stroke and just fly it....
I have had bad experiences with small gas engines in this size of planes.. they just get too heavy and do not fly well....
I think the SPE 26cc is lighter than the zenoah and puts out more power....
But then again, zenoah is a very very good reliable brand of engines, so perhaps a 20Ei would make it go like a bat out of....he double sticks

Old 09-19-2007, 12:53 AM
zain

I just got my Texan today, I am planning to put in a Super tiger 91 2 stroke in it
The models looks real nice and i cant wait to build it.

zain
Old 10-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Foxbat711
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice looking Texan.... What size are the main wheels? Thanks
Old 10-17-2007, 05:20 PM
nismoserspecv

How does this handle on the ground?
Old 10-19-2007, 10:50 AM
MerlinFan

It comes with 3" wheels. Thats about all that will fit in the wells. I have considered enlarging them but they are nice fiberglass wheelwells not the plastic inserts that most ARFs come with. On my 20th flight I made a pretty hard landing and both wheels popped off at the same time, wish I had it on video it looked pretty funny. Point is that the wheels and wheel collars were pre installed at the factory and I recommend filing a flat spot on the axle and using thread lock. I then put on some 3" Robart wheels that look more scale. Ground handling is good, the gear has a lot of forward rake and noseovers are almost impossible. All that rake makes wheel landings tough though and as you let the tail down It can start a little porpoise dance. Using less than full flaps lessens this. I have more than the recommended 30 degrees in the manual. The only bad thing is it makes you lazy on the up elevator for take off and when you fly something like my KMP Spitfire you will nose it over on takeoff if you handle it like the T6.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:09 PM
bpbat21

I ve got my texan...the build has been quick and easy. Control surfaces come hinged and glued. And it looks like they used a good quality metal hinge...not the cheap CA hinges. The only problem was when the required placement of the rudder horn had the upper screw go through one of those hinges. It was a real pain. Other than that the build has been simple. Just one question. I was looking to replace the wire struts with robart struts, but the way the gear seems to be bent forward looks like a guy would have to modifiy the wheel wells. Just looking to see what other ideas are out there.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:33 PM
SON OF PALEFACE
My Feedback: (1)

Can anyone tell me what the diameter of the engine cowl is , also the distance from the firewall to the prop , Ive got one coming and want to sort out which engine ect
Old 01-04-2008, 03:09 PM
SON OF PALEFACE

dont bother , cause i got mine...as it prob needs nose weight , im going to use a 26cc gasser from U/H.....had to fiddle with the retracts to get the linkage smooth , the up locks were fouled by the wheel hitting the wheel well , turned the wheels around , had to grind the plastic right angle spacers to clear the hubs and use a washer to space the wheels from scraping the struts...the build continues
Old 01-07-2008, 05:03 PM
bpbat21

I ve got it all together and am in the process of breaking in my os FS 91. I am happy the way it turned out. Its one of the better looking Texans I ve seen. I only wish the gear was a little more scale so I could have put struts on it. It was too windy yesturday. I plan on the first flight being on my next day off next week.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:56 PM
RACJ

RCU just did review of this plane(see Homepage).They had to add 1 lb10oz and 2oz Higley hub. I have nib G-26. Sounds like balance is no problem.Anyone with plane,is firewall and fuse construction up to this much engine??
Old 02-06-2008, 12:14 AM
MerlinFan

My RCV91 weighs 26 oz, I have a 2 ounce hub, and only a 1100 4.8 pack. I only needed 2 1/2 oz of church roof on the nose to balance as per the manual. The firewall looks strong but a 26 gasser will need alot of lead on the tail.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:21 PM
SON OF PALEFACE

Can any one sort this out , in the review at RCU he ADDED 2lbs to the firewall , another guy said he didnt need any weight with an OS91fst...the same engine.... , just how much weight is needed to balance this properly ????
Old 12-07-2012, 10:51 AM
coronabob
My Feedback: (10)

Bought a NIB WM AT6 here on RCU. Picked it up locally. Put a DLE 20 on it. Figured it would fly like a pattern plane based on its wing design. It does! The short fuse does very well, if longer it would probably qualify as a pattern plane.

The rudder is POWERFUL. I have full throw on it but rarely have to go to full. It knife edge loops one after another. This plane reaaaally rocks.