Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

H9 F4U Corsair - crash on first flight - snap rolled after takeoff

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

H9 F4U Corsair - crash on first flight - snap rolled after takeoff

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:06 AM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: H9 F4U Corsair - crash on first flight - snap rolled after takeoff

Hello, My name is Brian, and I am a recovering reversed aileron victim.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Corsair 29

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a maiden I made for a friend of mine. He's has an OS .91 2-stroke engine in it, and he used a four-bladed prop. I don't know the dimensions of the prop, but if you want I can ask him and I'll post it here.
The takeoff was uneventfull, and the plane only needed 2 clicks of down trim to get her flying on rails. I tried to hold off as long as I could before the mains touched down to get her to loose as much airspeed as possible, and just when I thought she was about to stall, I easily let her touch down, but apparently it was still too fast, and she nosed over slowly. The elevators were set to minimum throw of 9/16", we will set it to maximum, and go with 3 1/2" wheels next time.
The retracts are an improvement from the original ones, and seem to handle the grass field well. Obviosly with anything you don't want to overstress them, so we didn't push them to the limit.

enjoy

[link=http://rcuvideos.com/item/X5FG72TP1T9KHKYJ]http://rcuvideos.com/item/X5FG72TP1T9KHKYJ[/link]
Old 06-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Johnnie Red

Hey Corsair 29

Very nice maiden one....!!! Your friend must be very happy to have you around! Welldone. We wait more videos of this bird.
Greetings
J. Red
Old 06-08-2007, 03:27 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Here is a link to zinger's conversion chart: [link]http://www.zingerpropeller.com/_2_blade_.htm[/link]. I run a 14 x 8 two blade on my corsair.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:27 PM
jwfly
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Brian...done that and taken off having failed to connect the ailerons...but that's in the past....
Old 06-10-2007, 12:06 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's funny there is alot of 3 blade knockers in this thread I can tell some don't even use em but can't wait to comment on how bad they work.
I can tell ya from first hand expierence they work quite good.
the difference in speed is quite noticable between my 2bl models and the ones with 3 blades, just a observation from a 3 blade prop user.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:21 PM
rifraff

i agree with bigtim i use three bladed props on all my warbirds and im very happy with their performance, and i just maidened my corsair this weekend and i was very impressed at how she handled i like to do long rollouts and have the bird slowly rise of the ground,just like a real one would.
im using an OS108 two stroke with a 15/7 three blade Master airscrew prop and i CG her at 3 3/4" she flyies great heres some pics one is high speed pass 2 feet from ground and the other is a slow pass from the other direction
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36172.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	701648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30775.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	701649  
Old 06-11-2007, 08:49 AM
mwunsworth
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: rifraff
heres some pics one is high speed pass 2 feet from ground and the other is a slow pass from the other direction
Those are great pics. You must have a really nice digital camera. It must really cook with the 108.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:59 PM
rifraff

thanks P47 thunderbolt she cooks alright, the camera belongs to the clubs webmaster theres other pics overthere you can check out at http://www.fallbrookrcflyers.com/
i was so excited about flying this bird that i forgot to turn on the timer on my transmitter and ran out of fuel and landed her dead stick no damage
Old 06-12-2007, 10:22 PM
multicasting

My first corsair took flight with an experienced pilot at the controls and he quickly noticed the plane banking on liftoff. He immediately shoved the nose down and managed to limit all damage to the nose. He said he felt the CG was not accurate as the plane snapped on takeoff. I repaired the aircraft and double checked the balance. This time, I would test fly it. I held it on the ground to get the speed way up. On liftoff, the plane began to roll exactly as before. Full aileron and rudder managed to keep it airborne much longer. Unfortunately this only created a crash from a greater height. I simply couldn't overcome the roll, and the aircraft went in hard. Not being much of a builder, I missed one very important detail that an experienced builder caught quickly in the post mortem. The wing was slightly twisted. I never had a chance.

Bob
Old 06-12-2007, 10:29 PM
multicasting

ORIGINAL: CorsairJock

Pretty much RIGHT ON, except: when were Corsairs not cool?

BTW: if it rolled to the right, it was definately NOT torque roll (unless the engine runs reverse to convention). My guess: gusty winds contributed, as did a premature takeoff and lack of proper rudder input.
I have 2 H-9 Corsairs (1 Saito .91 powered, the other AXI 4130/16 powered), and these are the easiest to fly Corsairs that I have owned. The DO have a tendency to lift off early if I don't feeed in some down elevator input. Apply throttle gradually and EASE it off the ground.
Thanks for pointing out the direction of the roll. a roll to the right isn't a typical take off snap roll. I believe someone once said here that typically the Corsair takes off and snaps to the left. I know it might be cheating, but I program in right rudder on throttle up on my birds.

Bob
Old 06-26-2007, 08:50 PM
cubfloater
My Feedback: (5)

jwfly,

Are you employed by SF by chance? Just wondering since many there are. I don't know any RCer's that are. At least haven't found any yet.

Jim w/SF in NC

and I crashed my AT-6 on take off by leaving in up elevator. was used to fast taxi and inital take off run with full up elevator on floats, just wasn't thinking.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:31 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, going to pick up my H9 Corsair today. LHS ordered it for me, gave me a better price than Tower, and got it in 3 days.

They did the same deal a couple of months ago on the H9 60size P47. I started flying it with two bladed props and tried a MA 3-blade. If the 3blade is less efficient I'll eat my flight box. You know, sometimes sound byte wisdom bites it. With this engine and airplane this 3blade is at least as well suited as the 2blades that I've tried. And I like the way that Thunderbolt looks and flies so good that I jumped right on the Corsair. Especially since the Corsair is about the prettiest Big Iron that flew in WWII. Gonna put the arrow squadron markings on her. Just gotta find a pilot the right size. Hooo Haha....... Corsair!! Cain't git no funner'n that......
Old 06-27-2007, 04:46 PM
cubfloater
My Feedback: (5)

daRock,

Where in Western NC are you? I spent about 4 years or so in Cullowhee years ago. Love it up there.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:46 AM
Johnnie Red

ORIGINAL: da Rock

I started flying it with two bladed props and tried a MA 3-blade. If the 3blade is less efficient I'll eat my flight box. You know, sometimes sound byte wisdom bites it. With this engine and airplane this 3blade is at least as well suited as the 2blades that I've tried. And I like the way that Thunderbolt looks and flies so good that I jumped right on the Corsair. Especially since the Corsair is about the prettiest Big Iron that flew in WWII. Gonna put the arrow squadron markings on her. Just gotta find a pilot the right size. Hooo Haha....... Corsair!! Cain't git no funner'n that......
Hey da Rock,

I agree 100% on what you say. I used also 2bladed props but I have tried 3bladed and 4bladed ones. They all work well. The multibladed though are giving the plane more torque than the rest. And I do not mean the bad effect of the torque.....I mean the efficient torque that somebody needs in order to achieve 3point takeoffs and landings.....
I post some pics The P-47 is a KMP with SC 120FS turning a 4 bladed 13,50X10 APC, burning 20% nitro Byron Originals fuel.

Name:	Hf97745.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	733615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79776.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	733616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17806.jpg
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	733617   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76776.jpg
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	733618  
Old 08-01-2007, 08:57 AM
FlyingGreg
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Johnnie Red--that is a good looking P-47 and what a beautiful flying site!
Old 08-01-2007, 01:00 PM
patrick181

I bought one for $75 loaded with RX, servos and Saito 100 from a kid who couldn't fly or build. Spent 1 month gathering parts and performing repairs including repairing vertical stab busted in 3 places. Reinforced the areas claimed to be weak, mild glass behind firewall and continued the spar where it ends at the retract bay. Hidden exhaust mod. CG at 5".

Absolutely the best flying plane I've flown so far. Tracks straight down the runway on take offs, perfect axial turns and rolls, lands easy and soft. Beats my H9 Spitty I hate to say as far as handling.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:59 AM
Johnnie Red

ORIGINAL: FlyingGreg

Johnnie Red--that is a good looking P-47 and what a beautiful flying site!
Hey Greg,

It sure is a nice flying site.....Thanks!
The P-47 (KMP) is a thrill to fly.....It really recharge my "batteries" every weekend..!!
The prop helps a lot for 3 point take offs and landings... The plane litterally is getting "hanged" from its prop!!!!!!
Happy flights
J.R.

Name:	Rp45015.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	734786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78764.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	734787