Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

I want a good ME 109

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

I want a good ME 109

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 12:42 AM
HaveBlue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want a good ME 109

I would like to hear opinions on the better ME109 kits or ARF'S out there, what I would like is something for about 1.20 size engine as I have a CM Pro Spitfire and would like something in a similar scale or size.

Scale detail is not the most important factor but the closer to scale the better

So far I have seen a skyshark and KMP and one or two others who's name escapes me for now and I think I have read here that CMPro is bring one out( but i think thats a "Gustov" )

I do prefer the emil over any other model but if it comes to an emil , one factor that has dissapointed me is the lack of scale spinners
that reflect the emils( although I think it's the KMP that you can get a a correct looking spinner with the plane as an option)

if you can provide opinions on the supplied retracts if applicable to the model you recommend, if you think the stock units are good or if you believe an upgrade to another brand is better

I hope this doesnt cause an agitated debate between which model is better than the other ...just like to hear what you think from your experience

thanks
Old 06-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Baz
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: I want a good ME 109

I have the same question and a Saito 1.20 waiting for the answer ...
Old 06-16-2007, 04:33 PM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The KMP is a well built and solid plane. I have one that I am building now. I have a Saito 125 for it. The scale spinner is a definite MUST and KMP offers it in both 2 and 3 blade variants. It might take some modification of the engine shaft or some other nifty trick(depending on motor) to get the right spacing since the spinner was designed around using an RCV91CD. For mine, I have 3 aluminum spacers I had a friend create for me that work just perfect for spacing the motor back some on the motor mount(its a sliding one where you can position the motor anywhere on it).

The retracts are ok. They will work, but if flying off grass, be careful on landing or use some oleo struts over the wire. The retract units are pretty solid. If ever there is a problem, KMP has really good service. There are also purpose built retracts from Shinden for this plane that are exactly the right angle relative to the real plane(82 degrees). The stock retracts are 90, but can be shimmed to give a slightly wider stance(as i have done).

Other ME-109's:
Shyshark looks nice, but it is a kit and will take some time to build.
VQwarbirds has an Emil version. The factory "paint" scheme doesnt look so good, but if you dont mind painting or recovering, its not a bad deal. Its a lot smaller then the KMP tho. Its 60.6" wingspan whereas the KMP is 73. This makes it a relatively large .40 size or a small .60. The retracts are too far apart for scale and there is not a scale spinner for it.
Kyosho has a ME-109 that is also an "E" version. its smaller still so probably not what you want. It does look better then the VQ one tho.

There are others, but no real arf's besides those lsited above.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:22 PM
jescardin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For those interesred on a 1.20-1.50 size kit of the later 109 versions I may recommend this one produced by Wega Sunshine in Germany:

http://shop.wega-sunshine.com/index....16ecd4d8c35e18

They also produce a 1:5 scale versión although it should require a larger engine:

http://shop.wega-sunshine.com/index....33ac7fe91f2394

I have an umbuilt 1:6 model with all the accessories as well as I am currently building their 1:5 scale Me 163 for a friend and may well give my impressions on these model kits:

Excellent quality fiberglas fuselages with panel lines, rivets and opening hatches details, same quality balsa veneered foam wings and tails surfaces and top quality mechanical retracts, scale spinner and accessories whre applicable. On the down side, plans and instructions; the Me 109 ones are quite acceptable althought only in German and the 163 are one of the worst I have found on 30 years building model planes: only two reduced drawings of the three needed (and one was for their 1:6 scale version!) and german instructions plus a computer english translation totally useless and inadequate for a model which includes parts for ailerons and speed flaps scale hinges.

So if you can afford an "expensive" CE scale model plus shippment -in Euros- and have experience building so as to take your own solutions and decide building techniques, go for a Wega Sunshine model and for sure you will get the more accurate late version 109 on the scale scene.

Best Regards,

Jesus Cardin
Old 06-16-2007, 08:26 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Jesus , nay idea on the cost , I cant understand german
Old 06-16-2007, 10:27 PM
rrudytoo
My Feedback: (27)

LDM,

Hold on to your lederhosen, Bud. The conversion rate from Euros to U.S. Dollars is 1.00 : 1.34 as I write this. With the 1/6th 109 costing 307.30 Euros, you would pay $411.78 without shipping or handling. Yikes!!!! The 1/5th version is 467.50 Euros so the price in Yankee bucks would be a whopping $626.45. Remember, this is without gear or spinner. No thanks! But, hey. That's just me.

Al
Old 06-17-2007, 01:51 AM
kahloq

Its always nice to have options though. Both of those planes look really nice.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:49 AM
HaveBlue

thanks for the input guys , I appreciate it.. I did forget to mention that I fly off grass ..so that is a factor , although you can always get aftermarket stuff to suit..

It's not definite yet but at this stage I am leaning to the KMP sold under the EMS banner here in Oz
but as I said I'm still considering the best option for me ..and I have not excluded kits just yet.

I'll keep looking through the various threads here... I must admit I came across a good post that made some sense to me it went along the lines of..Since these aren't static display models you might overlook scale detail in lieu of having fun flying models and some of these are expensive ...so I might even consider the CM Pro version when it becomes available... it'ss all food for thought!

thanks guys
Old 06-17-2007, 04:12 AM
LDM

Al , your correct that is steep !!!!I will wait for the CMP BF 109 , its supposed to be around $209 with a 71" span
Old 06-17-2007, 11:26 AM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

If you want a scale bird check out Dave Platt for plans or short kit. Brian Taylor may have one also.

Carl

tubig has a great thread on the B Taylor plan.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:17 PM
kahloq

The Skyshark kit is a scale plane, but, not as large as a Dave platt or Brian Taylor.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:53 PM
LDM

THere was a nice Pica that just sold on Ebay , $175 plus shipping , mint condition kit , I think Platt was the original designer for Pica
Old 06-17-2007, 08:58 PM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get hold of Bob Holman and check out a Brian Taylor 109E. By far the best plan available. Can get laser cut ribs and bulkheads from Holman and probably cowl and canopy.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:31 PM
tubig

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: larry@coyotenet

Get hold of Bob Holman and check out a Brian Taylor 109E. By far the best plan available. Can get laser cut ribs and bulkheads from Holman and probably cowl and canopy.
if you're interested in going this route, here's my thread on building Taylor's 109E using Holman cut parts and accessories which will give you some idea of the build. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_32...tm.htm#3269976
Old 06-18-2007, 04:23 AM
stumax

There's always the stumax 109E ( www.stumaxaircraft.com ). Probably the most scale 109E (and definitely the lightest!) kit out there. Of course, it's more expensive than a made in China ARF, but there's no hot glue to melt on our hot summer days, either.....
Old 06-18-2007, 06:51 AM
camdyson

I second the Skyshark offering. I'm about to start on a Gustav version that I purchased from them as a short kit and it's an EXCELLENT kit. The glass cowl and other accessories are top notch, although balancing that huge aluminium spinner will be fun, and the outline looks pretty close to scale. Currently looking for retracts and wheels - Shindin or Sierra do nice struts to fit the Springair retracts, but scale (read "skinny") 1/6 Me109 wheels are proving harder to find. Planned engine is an RCV 120 SP - well cooled! (EMS one is kinda nice too though, I just like building...)

Look on rcscalebuilder.com for a couple of great builds on this kit.

Good luck whatever you choose,

Cam
Old 06-18-2007, 08:57 AM
Tommy_Gun

Here is my Skyshark 109G. It is a great looking and flying plane.

I am using a YS 1.10 in it as I had intended to race it on a regular basis. I am using it as my backup plane for racing instead.
I just wanted to minimize the chance of losing it in a midair.
Video, http://rcuvideos.com/item/L5J049ZWBQ7PCY8D
Images, http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5719267 , http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5719266

Old 06-18-2007, 09:04 AM
gonsos

Some pictures of Sunshine 109 in Teil1, 2 and 3
http://freenet-homepage.de/ilenburg/BF109/bf109.htm
Old 06-18-2007, 09:33 AM
JET FX

Oh why doesnt someone produce a nice large Emil??? so many Gustavs it seems and no 'E's what gives I wonder??? I would love a 1/5 scale Emil... are you listening Sis-T I find it interesting no one is offering a nice composite 109e as the design especially the flaps is so much easier to re-produce...
As to only options as far as kits go, really KMP for nicest ARF and Stumax if you dont mind a little building or Brian Taylor a lot of building, all are nice fliers and look the part. I have seen Stuarts Emil fly and it is indeed a sweet flyer and very scale in outline, similar size the KMP I think.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:17 AM
saso

Here is large one:

http://www.euroscaleusa.com/ME109-G.html
Old 07-27-2007, 09:18 AM
Sturtz
My Feedback: (20)

I thought the new CMP BF109 coming soon "I hope" was going to be a Franz. Anyone ?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68569.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	730753  
Old 07-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, it's going to be an 'F', according to the website: [link=http://www.cmpairplane.com/warbird/BF109F%20140%20Size.html]CMP Bf109F[/link]
Old 07-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Johnnie Red

ORIGINAL: JET FX

Oh why doesnt someone produce a nice large Emil??? so many Gustavs it seems and no 'E's what gives I wonder??? I would love a 1/5 scale Emil... are you listening Sis-T I find it interesting no one is offering a nice composite 109e as the design especially the flaps is so much easier to re-produce...
As to only options as far as kits go, really KMP for nicest ARF and Stumax if you dont mind a little building or Brian Taylor a lot of building, all are nice fliers and look the part. I have seen Stuarts Emil fly and it is indeed a sweet flyer and very scale in outline, similar size the KMP I think.
The KMP Emil is great to fly!!
Go for a KMP

Johnnie Red.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90814.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	730812