Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP F8-F Bearcat

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 11:51 AM
p51mech38
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KMP F8-F Bearcat

I feel that if you put a scale prop and put the base of the prop flange out where it's supposed to be(it's really out there compared to other aircraft) you would get the look you want. Most Bearcat models I've seen miss that fact about the airplane. The back of the blade on a full sized F8F is almost a foot away from the front of the cowl. The cowlflaps not being there is what makes it look short. Find a pic of a F8F with them FULLY closed and I think you will see what I mean. As for how short the nose looks its the location of the prop. Too close to the cowl. And since most Bearcat models(no idea on this one) come out tail heavy moving the engine forward will give it a more scale look that people want. The exhaust outlets are a bit off, but the F8F that I work on has had the shrouds modified to be longer. The inboard wingroot inlets cause a boundry layer near the fuse that tends to let the exhaust burn the paint right off. All I know is that Andrew will be getting my money once again. Who cares about price... That thing is sick! (Sick:super wayout cali term that means it's really a neat plane. Also see awesome, da s**t, and da balls.)
Old 06-25-2007, 12:07 PM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must say that is a very nice looking ARF of a Bearcat. Heck you don't even have to build it from sticks. . It looks even better than some that are built from kits or plans.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:21 PM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fw190

I must say that is a very nice looking ARF of a Bearcat. Heck you don't even have to build it from sticks. . It looks even better than some that are built from kits or plans.
True.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:00 PM
kinverflyer

Please note the cowl was pushed on purely for the photo for our reference only. If the cowl was positioned in the right place it fell off so we moved it back for the photo. The camera flash has masked a lot of the panel lines, there are quite a few panels already molded.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:26 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: kahloq

Rare Bear Mech has much more hands on experience regarding the real plane then any of us here....no matter how much love someone has for the plane. So, I'd take his assessment with more weight attached then any one else here.
My father drives a Lexus. Yet he doesn't know the lines of his Lexus and can't recognize the different models on the road. It takes a person with good eyes and is passionate about the plane.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:32 PM
p51mech38

ORIGINAL: Richard L.

Rare Bear Mech has much more hands on experience regarding the real plane then any of us here....no matter how much love someone has for the plane. So, I'd take his assessment with more weight attached then any one else here.
My father drives a Lexus. Yet he doesn't know the lines of his Lexus and can't recognize the different models on the road. It takes a person with good eyes and is passionate about the plane.
Can't argue that! You have a fine eye and passion for warbirds... Onward! For the size I would say that it's very scale. Right down to the fabric covered control panel lines. If YT or Kondor wanted to somthing really different Conquest One had a pretty much stock airframe with only clipped wings, low drag tailcone, and canopy mods(excluding MOST of the internal systems).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37586.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	710758  
Old 06-25-2007, 03:48 PM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: Richard L.

No need to argue here. Driving a car and knowing the internal structure is competely two different things. However, in the case of Rare Bear Mech, he stated he was a mechanic for two of them. Thats pretty up close and personel....especially taking off panels for access here and there and also spacing for where the prop should be, etc. Anyhow......its a good rendition and better then the TT version.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:07 AM
kochj

ORIGINAL: AKondor

Hi Everyone,

Just some thoughts about price as mentioned in an earlier posting here. There was a reference made to our aircraft beeing double the price of the Thunder Tiger Bearcat. First, the Thunder Tiger kit is 63 inches and not 70.5 Second the kit includes a wood wing with iron on covering. Third it does not come with Air retracts, Fourth it does not include Oleo Struts and Fifth it does not include Metal Wheels with Rubber Tires!

Basically the KMP Kit should be three times the price not Less than 2x the price!!

To Summarize then,

KMP Bearcat is:

Larger, All Composite, includes Air Retracts, Oleo Struts and Metal Wheels wth Rubber Tires. Panel lines..... Its not even in the same category as the TTR kit!

Food for thought...
Andrew

I beleave that Health Profesionals like myself should be paid much more than what all of these BigTime actors make for 1-move, but I do realize (as also you do) that I cannot charge more than I currently get for a proceedure and you can charge more, but you most likely would not get many takers on chargin 3X's or 1000$ for this plane. Even though it may be worth every penny!
Never seen the quality of the included wheels or the retracts first hand. I can only judge by what others have commented about there current planes they have purchased from KMP.
Are a pair of alloy wheels from China to be compared to the fine milling that is taken from a company like SierraGiant and there milled alloy wheels?
Or compare the finished product to a all metal and CNC milled giant retacts from Sierra giant? I don't think one can could charge 100+$ for your wheels compared to a Made in USA milled pair. Are your planes a bargan? Sure! One can clearly see that they are! I have made many comments on RCUniverse that you planes are wonderfull and a bargan for what you get!!

I never stated that you KMP is overcharging there models. I
I HAVE said that this plane would look more attractive to me if there wwas an option to exclude the included retracts and subtract the cost of these from the total cost of the plane.

Evryone one likes options, it is all the rage you know![8D]
Old 06-27-2007, 12:58 AM
AKondor

HI:

We will think about offering the retracts seperately especially if it may convert some modelers into KMP customers who otherwise would not have purchased the kit. We will post some more detailed pictures on our website of the Oleo Struts and metal wheels shortly so modelers can have a closer look at the quality of the milling.

Andrew K.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:10 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

Andrew:

Your last posting on retracts sounds good.....Awaiting the pictures of the retracts on your web site....
Old 06-27-2007, 08:26 PM
willey
My Feedback: (32)

I just have to put in my two cents worth here, I think this KMP Bearcat looks simply Awsome!!! Anybody that "Actually BUILDS" Scale Models of any size will relate to what I 'm saying here. (This also includes most of all other ARFS too)

Now, for what you are getting - for that kind of money, just the "TIME ALONE" it takes to get a model of that "Size and Looks" to even come close to the KMP is well?? ""A STEEL!!!"" so BUY IT and CHANGE the things you DON'T LIKE and your still waaaaay ahead of the game, If your not going to TOPGUN with it - don't worry, Be Happy!!

just my 2 cents

Great Job on the Bearcat & Tigercat as well!!

willey

Old 06-27-2007, 08:26 PM
AKondor

I'll take some tomorow.... I'll try my best to remember to bring my camera to the office.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:08 PM
p51mech38

ORIGINAL: willey

Great Job on the Bearcat & Tigercat as well!!

willey

Mike Brown the owner got quite a kick out of seeing my big bossman F7F for the first time. When it's done I will get some pics with the full size dude.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:35 AM
kahloq

I would have to agree on the fact that I'd like the option of getting a KMP plane without the stock retracts....OR......have the option to CHOOSE from a variety of retract setups.....KMP could partner with Shinden or Robart since they sell Robart retracts for certain planes(B-25). The options could include the GenII retracts currently provided, or for a small additonal charge, replaced with Robart or Shinden or Sierra Giant. Oleo's could also be packaged in if desired. This way, KMP could still sell a packaged deal, while allowing the customer to make the right choice for themselves what they want. Almost like going to DELL or Alienware and building a computer to suit your needs. You pick what you want to go in the chassis, but the exterior is still the same. Core components could be mandatory, like...you gotta pick retracts of some form, tires of some form, etc. KMP could, if they wanted, import the Glennis wheels as an option.

Example:
ME-109 base plane: cost: $369
Stock retract set: cost $100
Stock foam wheels: cost $30
total: $499....<---this is current price as the plane comes with the above

Options:
1) Replace GenIII with Robart 701RS 90 degree Robostrut ready: cost: additional $20
2) Replace GenIII with Robart 706RS 85 degree Robostrut ready: cost: additional $26
Either option requires the purchase of a robart air valve and accessories package: cost: additonal $45
3) Replace GenIII with Shinden retracts 80 or 82 degree with oleos: cost: additional $100 <---these cost $200, but subtract a $100 from that for the cost of the GenIII that arent being sent in the kit.
4) Add Shinden oleos for stock GenIII retract set. cost: additonal $90
5) Add 3/8", 1/2 " or 7/16" robostrut to fit 701 or 706. cost : $additional $50 per strut
6) Replace foam wheels with Glennis: cost: additonal $80

Now, as you see, this will add up depending on what the choices are, but the customer is getting what they want instead of being stuck with a set of retracts they may not like and arent using while ending up having to replace them with something they do want. This also gives them the ability to choose things to make the plane more scale since the GenIII retracts are 90 degree and the actual plane used 80-82 degree
I would have greatly prefered this option when I bought my ME-109.
Because of this, I probably will not buy another KMP plane for some time. Dont get me wrong, KMP planes are great, but I dont wanna get stuck with parts that just get thrown in the "not used" bin.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Flugmax

What is the diameter(in cm) of the cowl?

Ist there place for a Saito 325 5-Cyl Radial? it has 23,6 cm dia and is placed about 7 cm away (forwards) from the firewall (with original Motor-Mount)

If the Saito Radial 5 would fit, that would be the ultimative combination
Old 07-02-2007, 09:21 AM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: Flugmax

What is the diameter(in cm) of the cowl?

Ist there place for a Saito 325 5-Cyl Radial? it has 23,6 cm dia and is placed about 7 cm away (forwards) from the firewall (with original Motor-Mount)

If the Saito Radial 5 would fit, that would be the ultimative combination

I can offer only a guesstimate, but it might help you. Different plane, yes, but the Hangar 9 Corsair has a cowl diameter of 19cm. Its a smaller size plane, so conceivebly, the KMP bearcat would have a larger diameter nose given that is has an 8" wider wingspan. Scaling features between two different types of planes really doesnt help much though as the Bearcat has a slightly tapered cowl where the Corsair doesn't.

Now, for a more direct guesstimate .....
I measured the cowl of the ThunderTiger RareBear(the electric one) and it has about a 10cm cowl(by eyesight using a ruler) with a wingspan of 34"
The KMP plane has a wingspan of 70.9" so scaling that 10mm cowl up to fit the wingspan would yield about 21cm. +/- 4mm for eyesight measurement would give you a max cowl of 23cm at the front of the cowl, but again, the cowl is tapered, so it may spread out enough to hold the radial motor as it goes back towards the canopy.

Now, my estimates could be completely off here relative to the KMP plane altogether, so dont bank on these numbers....I merely provided them hoping they could be off some assistance to you.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:47 PM
AKondor

I will post the answer here tomorow..... stand by.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Biggles2

Wow .....................I want one .... does anyone know if YT are going to sell them here in the UK .... I had a TT Rare bear and a night mare with it. Once it was sorted it was ok and then pilot error finished it off. I would'nt buy another one of those but this one looks proper nice ....something a bit different at my club to rev the old chaps up....
Old 07-03-2007, 02:13 PM
alanc

yes it will be, nice, isnt it?
Old 07-03-2007, 03:03 PM
Flugmax

yea, it would be the optimum, i have the 325 saito radial, waiting for the Bearcat..

i HOPE it will fit und the cowl[&:]
Old 07-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Biggles2

If I can get one , i hope to fit the saito 200T inline twin . , Im going contact YT to see if its going to be sold here in the UK .....

Old 07-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Paul Morrison

I would have to agree on the fact that I'd like the option of getting a KMP plane without the stock retracts....OR......have the option to CHOOSE from a variety of retract setups.....KMP could partner with Shinden or Robart since they sell Robart retracts for certain planes(B-25). The options could include the GenII retracts currently provided, or for a small additonal charge, replaced with Robart or Shinden or Sierra Giant. Oleo's could also be packaged in if desired. This way, KMP could still sell a packaged deal, while allowing the customer to make the right choice for themselves what they want. Almost like going to DELL or Alienware and building a computer to suit your needs. You pick what you want to go in the chassis, but the exterior is still the same. Core components could be mandatory, like...you gotta pick retracts of some form, tires of some form, etc. KMP could, if they wanted, import the Glennis wheels as an option.
Speaking as the guy who would have to make this happen:

Anytime we add another supplier, we add potential hiccups to our supply chain. Consider the fact that I currently have about a dozen sets of retracts from a manufacturer that I will not name on order since January and I still haven't recieved them (its July 5th). One of my customers has been waiting almost a year now for his. Guess who he's upset with? We're a small company, even if we punch far beyond our weight. Please remember that. If you need assistance and you call us, there's about a 40% chance I am going to pick up the phone, and a 100% chance that you'll end up talking to me at some point. While your scenario is very nice, and ideal in many ways for you as a customer, its going to make me juggle a whole bunch of balls more than I'm used to, and as a result I'm going to drop more. Then we'd see upset posts here on RCU berating me for dropping a ball. At some point we'll probably grow big enough that I'll have a staff of people to manage that can handle stuff like that, and maybe at that point we'll do that. But until that time gets closer, it makes sense for us to keep the equations simple. I hope you understand.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:43 PM
smck

Tongue in cheek comment. I don't think too many engines will fit inside the 19mm(3/4") cowl as stated is fitted on the Hangar 9 Corsair!
How about cm?

Stuart
Old 07-06-2007, 06:14 PM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: smck

Tongue in cheek comment. I don't think too many engines will fit inside the 19mm(3/4") cowl as stated is fitted on the Hangar 9 Corsair!
How about cm?

Stuart
Of course, as you pointed out, typos. Yes cm. I edited the offending post to reflect this
Old 07-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm really diging this plane...
What do you guys think of motor for this thing? I only want four stroke
I'm thinking OS 120 III pumped... it seems the OS run smoother than the saitos I've owned also better on fuel and some what cleaner
With that said Saito have great power... maybe the 125 or 150
also like the YS but I think the YS 140 would be a bit over kill for this guy

any thoughts?
once I sort out that part I'll get on the waiting list

thanks
Ron

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.