Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: KMP F8-F Bearcat

Has anyone installed an Evolution 40 or is the 26 sufficent power?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi, I had the MVVS/Evolution 26cc in my Bearcat, and while it was no pylon racer, it had more than adequate power for this plane. If I were to build another and I had a spare MVVS/Evolution 40cc I would make it my first choice, but I would perhaps add a bit more fibre glass to the inside of the fire-wall, more for peace of mind than anything else.

Simon.
    Regards
    Simon.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Amazing.... Chief and KMP claim the retracts for the Bearcat havent arrived from China yet.... but both VQ and Troy Built has them. Whats up with that??? Too late though. I gave the Bearcat away...
    Bought an ESM LA-7 to play with .... and it has the gear!!

CC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think 26cc is more than enough for this plane. Mine is faster than my hangar 9 mustang with a saito 125.
    I run an 16x8 apc and its perfect. If speed is what your looking for then but a sundowner F1 and put an evo 40 up front.
    This aircraft is very rewarding tp fly and look at in the pits. Its perfect.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey I see this thread is still barely alive..well I've been side-tracked with my bearcat for a couple of years?..it still is not ready to fly ...but I have taken it outside and ran my G38 today and range checked the palne with the engine running ,it all checks out good.My all up weight is 17.5 lbs. with the composite wing and the stock reatracts..but after re-reading this thread I may swap them out with the sierra ones.That tail wheel set up is a POS in my opinion. that is going to go for sure ,just dont know about the stock gear, they are way shakey.. By the way I did get that Futaba 10 cag and have the tail feathers on different channels and also the flaps.Tomorrow I am going to gut out the tail wheel and see what I can do to it or with it.....Mine was swiveling all over the palce today when I tried to taxi it around the yard. Oh by the way right now mine ballanced at 135 mm from the leading edge of the wing saddle. about where I want it. Boy for someone that was one of the first ones to get one of these I sure have dragged my feet on flying it, but I have built a couple other planes since then. One, a giant 111 inch extreme Flight Yak 54..that project kinda sapped my funds for this year. I will post on here when I figure out something about the tail wheel

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey oncebitten , Iv set the CG at 130 , with flaps down and a touch of power , she floats in .... get it flying , you will love it. As for the tail wheel , the stock one is ideal , no weight and steers the plane on the ground very well. you dont see it in the air. A 38 up front will really flick your switch , mine has a 26 and its mint ....happy landings old chap

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey thanks Biggles ..its got another set back ..the retracts ...I cant get them to work right ..I think one is blown out inside..they did work fine,then one day after I had everything ready for the maiden..one will not work...I think next spring I will put the Sierra ones it when my wallet fattens up a bit..lol Then give it a go. My cg is at 135mm now should be ok?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anybody still flying this plane?
    Blake

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

still fly mine, it is the all composite version with full detailed cockpit, Sierra gear, home built scale retractable tail wheel, OS300 twin for power. Had a dead stick last september and had to repair the right wing leading edge after the engine ran out of fuel, the plane crash-landed in a corn stock field.
    Let's meet at Warbirds Over Denver June 10-12th [link]http://www.warbirdsoverdenver.com[/link] and have a nice formation of KMP/ESM bearcats!
    Bruno
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec88483.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	1574980   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zu64642.jpg 
Size:	249.2 KB 
ID:	1574981   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk27306.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	206.3 KB 
ID:	1574982   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fb87858.jpg 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	1574983  
    Bruno
    Spitfire Brotherhood #41
    Actual projects:
    - Byron Corsair
    - Bates 1/4.5 Sea Fury
    Future Projects:
    - 1/6 Heinkel HE111, my plans

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good stuff! I have the ESM version and pushed two other projects to the side to get this one put together.
    Blake

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi flyingchef, looks like you know how to repair Composite wings? I have been down for two years,do you think this is reparable? thanks for any help, Steve

Name:	Om32797.jpg 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	1575541   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Av69860.jpg 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	1575542   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lr39497.jpg 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	1575543  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Steve,
    It looks similar to what my wing went thru but yours has a bit more damage, the good news is that it can be fixed.
    I will look at first if the main spar has been damaged or if lose from the fiberglass wing shell start to repair this and the internal structure damages. To repair the fiberglass work first clean the inside so a piece of 0.010" g10 (thin fiberglass sheet) can be inserted inside the wing to comform to the opening. The goal is to have as little space as possible between the g10 sheet and the wing shell, once adjusted apply some 30 minutes epoxy inside the damaged wing where the g10 will go against, then put the g10 sheet as you did earlier. To make sure than the g10 conforms to the curve inside the damaged section of the wing while the glue cures you can insert some material than can be removed after the glue has curred. once the glue curred make a paste out of finishing epoxy and micro ballon then apply the mixture in to the damaged section until it fill it up, leave it until it cures. Of course use as many of the original wing pieces to repair the damaged section before applying the micro balloon paste.
    The section then can be sanded to match the wing curve once the micro balloon mixture has cured. To give the section a nice smooth texture before priming apply some automotive finishing putty then sand. I had some paint mixed by Klass Kote to mach the original color, it is an epoxy based paint and in my Bearcat case you can't distinct it from the original color, call them I am sure they have the mixture in their system.
    Hope this help!
    Bruno
    Bruno
    Spitfire Brotherhood #41
    Actual projects:
    - Byron Corsair
    - Bates 1/4.5 Sea Fury
    Future Projects:

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Bruno for the info, I wish you lived closer, I would pay you to fix it. I dont know much about working with fiberglass?I will check around for some help. thanks again, Steve

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: flyingchef

still fly mine, it is the all composite version with full detailed cockpit, Sierra gear, home built scale retractable tail wheel, OS300 twin for power. Had a dead stick last september and had to repair the right wing leading edge after the engine ran out of fuel, the plane crash-landed in a corn stock field.
    Let's meet at Warbirds Over Denver June 10-12th [link]http://www.warbirdsoverdenver.com[/link] and have a nice formation of KMP/ESM bearcats!
    Bruno

Hi flyingchef!, i have just finished my esm bearcat(airex edition) and i have done just one scaaaaring flying!!!!!my god my bearcat lands veeery fast!!!!. my cg is at 117mm from the leading edge at the point where wing meets fuselage. is it too much forward or not; whats your cg; the down travel of my bearcat flaps is at about 3 cm,i guess its small(about 25 degrees).is it; whats the right amount of elevator travel; i dont know whats the right way to land this plane. i have some experience flying heavy warbirds (esm typhoon, esm hurricane, esm fw-190, cmpro zero......e.t.c) but this one really scared me!!i fly it with dle 30cc and apc 18x8 at about 9,5 kgr of thrust. do you flair it all the way during landing or just when it is at about 2 metres say over the ground;thanks!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Other people are flying this at 130 on the CG. If your plane is nose heavy it will fly very solid in the air but will land much faster then a balanced plane. Try moving the cg bck a bit and fly her.
    Time flies like a brick thru the window of life.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Agreed I would move the CG to 130mm up to 140mm which is what I setup on mine. I fly at altitude (5280ft, about 1609 meters) and my bearcat with a weight of 21lbs (9.5kg) lands well with full flaps, I estimate that I have about 60 degrees usable. It is not too fast with this setup, I use about 200ft (61 meters) of runway to complete stop; my landing approach that I use, as well with all my warbirds, starts with a gear pass at 50% throttle, turn upleg and drop 50% flaps to slow down the plane then drop to full flaps just before I enter downleg. I keep a sligh pressure on the elevator and control my descent rate with the throttle, once I pass the edge of the runway and about 3 feet or so above it I bring the throttle to idle and ad more pressure on the elevator to flair.
    Bruno
    Bruno
    Spitfire Brotherhood #41
    Actual projects:
    - Byron Corsair
    - Bates 1/4.5 Sea Fury
    Future Projects:

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi MANFRED and flyingchef , its nice to see that this forum is still alive!!!
    ok i will remove some weight from the nose in order to move back the cg at about one cm more (130 mm from L.E) and then i will fly it again.
    i will give flap some more travel for landing ( at about 45-50 degrees).
    i think that this plane might be the most difficult to fly-landing among all other heavy hi wing loading esm warbirds. i cant compare its flying behavor with another esm plane i have. but i like that challenge!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Deleted
    Blake

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK i have just fly bearcat four times so far and i can say that it flies great!!!!i moved cg to 130 mm and set flpas max travel at about 5 cm from close positon. dle 30cc power is good enough , not too much but its ok! my total weight is at about 10,2 kgr ( i have made some reinforcements- its composite wing version) and it lands really nice with a lot of flair!!!its unbelievable that i have never seen such a plane landing like this before!!!it flairs too much and its doesnt tip stall!!! what a wash out!!! i must admit that i didnt expect such a good flying behavior.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

dredging this one back from the depths.
    Im purchasing an ESM Bearcat.

Is there a cockpit kit for either the ESM or KMP anywhere?
    Matt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Try DynamicBalsa, I'm sure they do one.
    Regards
    Simon.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm on the fence on buying a Bearcat. I have a Super Tigre 2300 that ruuns great, do tink that would be enough engine for this palne?
    Jim Williams
    Club Saito Menber #621

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

looking at the specs, I think that should be more than enough engine for the bearcat.
    Regards
    Simon.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gentlemen

I need some advice. How in the heck do you get the hard wood block for the rudder control rod glued in. I can see where it goes but I can't get my big old hands in there to glue it. It's hard enough getting the rudder control roditself in place but getting that wood block in the tail. Anybody have a tip,or I'm I just not seeing something?
    Any help would be apprecitated.

Jim

PS anybody have an extra or old U Rod ( the u rod that connects the elevator halves together) laying around. Mine was missing from my klit.
    Jim Williams
    Club Saito Menber #621

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Maidened today. What a great flyer. No problems.

Name:	Rp42182.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	1650855   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yt62155.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	1650856  
    Jim Williams
    Club Saito Menber #621

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast