Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

rc scale builder

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 07:26 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: rc scale builder

RCSB is a great site and i have donated/contributed to it, but posting pic's is a real pain!!! that's one thing that makes it hard to post more....

Thanks

Dave,

P.S. when is a donation a donation if you have to pay it to use it?? i thought donations are a free will thing......
Old 06-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Doolittleraider
My Feedback: (72)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: F4u5

I enjoy both sites, but for a builder like myself, I enjoy the RCSB site much more these days and happily donate about twice a year. Mike carried the load by himself for quite a while before asking for donations. $20 a year is only like 5.5 cents per day, and Mike has built a great site. I waste more than that every day drinking Diet Coke (approx. 3-5 bucks a day, on average)[8D]

Jeff
Jeff

Whats with the diet coke, go ahead have the extra calories you deserve it! With the speed you build you'll work it off man! Thanks for all the building advice. Your the man and keep the projects comming!
Good Luck
Peter Miller
Old 06-26-2007, 09:24 PM
rustypep
My Feedback: (6)

Well being a newbie to scale my first build will be 110% better than it otherwise would have been had I not had access to the knowledge on RCSB. There are no mentors standing over my shoulder in my club, no one in my family passing on any knowledge, and it would have taken 10+ years of building and talking to other builders at fly-ins, etc. before I arrived at the quality that I am achieving on my first build all thanks to the info I have learned on RCSB. This just keeps me interested in learning more and building the next model better/more scale. Mike has built a wonderful site and it is worth even the small donation they request now for anyone who wants to do more than read. If you are interested in scale and tight on money than cancel your magazine subsciption and use this site. You will learn more in the first week than years of reading any magazines. The next best thing would be Platt's videos.

As for posting pictures, go to stormdance.net and download PhotoRazer. It only takes a few seconds to reduce your images. I usually do five at a time and it only takes about 10 seconds if that and then I can post them and because they are smaller they upload quicker too. If you need any help, just let me know.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:47 AM
rorrock

I happily brought a walkaround cd to support the site.
It gave me access to pictures of a hellcat that I would not have been able to get from the net.

Not to mention the tips, etc that have helped me with my first kit built..

Rob in OZ
Old 06-27-2007, 12:59 AM
SMUGator

How does that Hellcat library look? I ordered and paid for mine in mid-May, but haven't gotten it yet. I know Mike is running that site in his spare time, so I'm not too bothered over the delay. If RCSB could ever figure out how to run a decent search engine (or if I could figure out how to get targeted results with the one they have), I'd probably move over there and never look back. I'll likely do my BT Hellcat build there.

Tom
Old 06-27-2007, 06:54 AM
Shrky

Tom,

I had the impression that the walkaround CDs were already made and just had to be shipped when ordered. If you haven't got it by now I'm sure it's just an oversight, I'd drop Mike an email.

Jeff,

How about the 1/3 scale I-16? I have those same plans and would really like to see your build thread finished before I tackle it.

As far as this site versus RCSB, I think people here are comparing apples and oranges. This site has a lot of corporate sponsorship, and why not most of what you see here is threads on the latest ARF, or semi scale kit. Very seldom do you see scratch built or plans built planes being documented here and that's fine as that is what the majority of people are building these days. As a result a lot of companies pay good money to hawk their wares here and defray the cost of running the site which therefore is free to the user. RCSB on the other hand caters more to the scratch/plans/large scale builder, a much smaller community with little advertising dollars coming in. Mike does a great job running and supporting the site but it got to a point that he couldn't justify the cost out of his own pocket, so he ASKED, didn't demand, asked for help. Those of us that thought the site was useful ponied up the money necessary to keep the site going. Now here is a little tidbit for you. RCSB has roughly 5000 registered users and currently less than 300 of them pay to support the site. Less than 10% are footing the bill for the other 90% and even if you don't contribute you can still use the site. Site supporters get some benefits that non supporters don't but non supporters can still use the site. So before we go off on a tangent about RCSB, lets remember it's a shoestring operation run by one guy with the help of some of his friends in their spare time for which the only reward they receive is helping the modeling community. (Steps off soapbox)

Scott
Old 06-27-2007, 07:24 AM
rwright142

ORIGINAL: F4u5
Check out RCwarbirds for my last 13 foot Corsair. Under projects.
The Corsair died in a spectacular mid-air with Merlyn Grave's 12 foot Ki-100
Jeff
Jeff, I didn't realize you are the same one that built that beautiful Corsair. I have been to RCWarbirds many times and marvel at the craftsmanship there.
I saw the video of the midair and although I know how painful it must have been, I applaud your "oh well" attitude.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:40 AM
jescardin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I already posted my opinions on RCSB last year only to have it effectively deleted by a Moderator totally backed by the Administrator (they understandably didn't want to promote wars between both web forums), so my first intention was not to contribute here but I am afraid there are some very unjustified and hard comments regarding RCU which I think I must defend it from.

It is clear that RCU is a very large forum site with contributors all over the world and with different experience levels and, then you may contribute anything as it is so CHEAP to speak.....but them it also happens in RCSB: No Administrator nor Moderator has an all over experience and MUST always RESPECT what technically is explained at their forums. Many times you may find a contribution you totally disagree but what a gentlemen should do honoring newbies is explaining his view instead of just cowardly stay aside avoiding confrontation and, later on, complaint about "cheapers", "criers".....as this is just about the quality and class of the aficionados who contribute here or is it that those contributors related to RCSM are better than us here in RCU?.

Regarding my opinion about RCSB it has not changed a cent from last year. Taking the risk of my reply being completely or partially removed, I think -more taking account on how I understand contributing a forum expressed above- must express it openly here:

1.- They have all the right of taking, not a donation, but full payment if they wished. Of course, you are free of accepting it just look for another forums free or adequate to your like or experience.

2.- Technically, RCSB is quite slow. Although it has improved from their switch to a new server it still compares very badly with RCU.

3.- Threads take years to conclude and many are only for building "Hangar Queens". Many highlight the quality and experience of the building threads there against so many ARTF here but I MUST remember that the idea behind RC modeling is FLYING and, that for me, a thread is just waste if the builder does not finishes it flying his creation. I know, because I am a also scale modeler, that great creations take time to built but "dead" threads without one contribution or just a reminder one from a follower I think it is not very positive for a any forum.

4.- The guidance there, and I must emphatice my respect to the Administrator and Moderators like gentlemen that enjoy my same hobby, is too "sweet" (I do not know the English expression, in Spain we say "Pastelera" or "sweet cake") as every contribution is excellent, every model -even after crashing just during take off- is a must and, of course, do not questionate nor the product but even the way any of the model producers with a thread line there run their brands......well, perhaps some "criers" were not very wrong sometime ago as the offender manufacturer has just ceased production of their kits (who was right now, then?).

I have expressed my sincere feelings and hope everybody thinks a moment about it so we may make a better and bigger RC community all over the world hearing and thinking about other ideas as we are not always the owners of the authentic truth (even not me).

From my side, well RCSB has lost a thread I thread a wanted to start about a Wega Sunshine I am building together with the owner as I can not finish it in just 5 comments, of course, and then I feel a "second level poor" member there as I have not donated and feel that at this moment, RCSB just does not deserve it.

Best Regards,

Jesus Cardin
Old 06-27-2007, 09:25 AM
MikeChilson
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks guys for the support.

RCSB never has nor ever will try and compare itself to RCU. They are two TOTALLY different animals. I started RCSB for the SCALE BUILDER and anyone interested in getting into scale building. It is not a soap box to air your opinions about vendors or other members, it is about SCALE BUILDING period. Unfortunately my philosophy about the site does not fair well with everyone.. All I can say is sorry.. But no one is forcing ANYONE to do ANYTHING on my site. I have learned that some folks certainly likes to tell me HOW I need to run MY site but those are the same folks that take but never give anything to the hobby. Personally I could care less what they think of me or my site.

A quick pop over to the site and to the "About Us" page will explain what the site is all about. Maybe one or two of you that commented on the site should go read it. IT is quite obvious you have never spent anything more than a glance there.

As far as the performance, again it will NEVER compare to RCU. Those in this business understand why and those who are not just have to accept this. I don't have to justify anything to anyone here. Only those that help support RCSB.

Oh.. and by the way.. it does not cost $20.00 to become a site supporter. I don't care what amount is contributed as long as you are helping to share the load. You will notice you can change the amount where you contribute.

If you are interested in Scale Building I would invite you over to check it out. If you find it useful and the site has some value to you then by all means please become a site supporter. If not just enjoy browsing the great information there.

I am asking the mod to PLEASE close this thread as all it has become is a soap box.

Thank you!

Mike Chilson
RCSCALEBUILDER.COM
Old 06-27-2007, 09:27 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: t_burley

Tim

I dont really think this is relevant here

yep.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:54 AM
puff daddy

ORIGINAL: wulf190

ORIGINAL: t_burley

Tim

I dont really think this is relevant here

yep.
Mike, I believe this is the shortest post you have ever made. See ya on the flip side. RCSB that is.[8D]
Old 06-27-2007, 10:14 AM
scalebirdman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Much thanks Mike. RCSB is one reason I enjoy this hobby so much.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:25 AM
rwright142

Mike,
I think "Scale Builder" says it all. If someone wants to learn about building scale RC planes then that is where you would find information targeted specifically for those people like me. I'm a supporter and thoroughly enjoy your site.

If I want to learn about servos, batteries, and other items then I visit here.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:55 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

picking up on your sarcasm randy...[>:] Am learn slow 2 say less/listen more....rcsb good yah.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:57 PM
puff daddy

ORIGINAL: wulf190

picking up on your sarcasm randy...[>:] Am learn slow 2 say less/listen more....rcsb good yah.
dlot ouy. I, evil ot niatretne.
Thanks to all the thumbs up for Mike's site. to those of you that complain. Well you're way out numbered.
I think the I's have it.
Thank you very much for those that support Mike's site. To those that don't and in someway find it offensive. What can I say. You don't get it and probably never will.
Now build something and quit waisting your time!! Or at the least others.
Now where is my epoxy?
Attached Images  
Old 04-28-2019, 02:53 PM
Patrick R.

The 20.00 will be the best money ever spent for all the information and help you receive. The best deal is the lifetime membership.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:08 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IN the many years I have been on RCSB, I have never seen any " drama" like on this or RCU. RCSB is for SEROUS conversations about scale building.

Jerry
Old 04-30-2019, 06:19 PM
Lake Flyer
My Feedback: (13)

Thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten I am overdue to pay for my RCSB