Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New Planes from Meister-Scale

Old 07-03-2007, 10:40 PM
lovetoflyguy
My Feedback: (139)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default New Planes from Meister-Scale

Dino and I have been burning some brain waves trying to figure out exactly what we want to do with the next line or next generation of warbirds from Meister-Scale. The best way is to ask you, our customers and those who would be interested in building one of our planes. As many of you already know, after listening to request by many of you, we came out with the fiberglass P-47 and are coming out with the fiberglass FW-190D. We will be introducing our new P-51 102inch B model in both the Malcome and the Bird Cage. We will be releasing some new fiberglass fuses soon, but Dino and I want to wait on the announcement of that. I know many would love to see a Macchi 202, or some other strange warbird, but to be honest, Its hard to sell more than a handful. Here are some questions we would like to open to you guys. Please respond. We want to produce airplanes you like and you would want to build.

In the Giant Scale 100+ inch warbirds, would you like to see some other planes such as a P-40, Hellcat, Dauntless, etc?

Some people have expressed that they would like to build and fly slightly smaller planes of our famous P-47, FW-190, etc. Is there an interest in producing lazier kits of our P-47, Corsair, FW-190 in the 80+inch? Would there be interest in these planes if we were to produce a fiberglass fuse with them?

I hope this starts some good discussion. Dino and I will be making some decisions soon and the input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
PJ
Old 07-03-2007, 11:24 PM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New Planes from Meister-Scale

I would love to see a giant scale P-40 B. There are several 'E' models around, but nobody wants to make a kit for the 'B'. I know there is the Bates P-40 B, but I would like to see one a little larger.

Also, how about a giant scale KI-61 Hein? Good (Mean!) looking plane!
Old 07-03-2007, 11:29 PM
tigertooth
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would love to see a 80" P-40 or Helldiver and drop some bombs. Thanks!!!!
Old 07-04-2007, 02:19 AM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Something like this. 80/90ish WS
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32090.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	716002  
Old 07-04-2007, 03:07 AM
lightning 759

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

anything in the 80/90 inch would be nice love american radials,would like to see some russian & the lesser done japan birds .not a great fan of fibberglass fuss balsa lot more user friendly for those of us with average talents
Old 07-04-2007, 05:16 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

P40 , look at the interest in the Skyshark , and the fact that many did not buy it based on scale inaccuracys and the fact that that version was not popular .
A really good 1/5 E or B veriosn would be excellant , with Pica gone it would fill a gap .
There use to be a great 1/5 B-version offered by a small company in Pottstown Pa , dont know if they got much distribution but the fuse was fiberglass
Old 07-04-2007, 05:42 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The world awaits a 1/5 (or 80"/90") 109 E with accurate outline and spinner.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:52 AM
rwright142

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You may have read where Brian Taylor has stopped making his plans and accessories due to health reasons. He may resume later but there is a better chance that he may not. If you were to make those size plans and accessories (canopy, cowl, etc) available you would definitely have a market. I am building the 82" Corsair and was lucky enough to get my parts before he stopped making them, but I am reading where people are scrambling to buy up what they can find.
So in my opinion, if you have the plans and the accessories you'll have the market. I for one will buy from you. I was the one who bought 'generic' plans on eBay to find out they were drawn by Jim Meister and brought this to Dino's attention. He sent me the 'real' plans and I love the quality so I will buy from you guys in the future.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:56 AM
David Eichstedt
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ditto JL1, but I'd like a big one please. (100")
Old 07-04-2007, 10:04 AM
langerl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For my $.02,
1. Could you please consider one of the modeling community's standard scales for the kits you introduce (i.e. 1/5, 1/4.5, 1/4....)? Adding after market details for a 1/5.369 scale RB-36H can be challenging .

2. There have been a number of nice small warbird kits, but for the guys that want something with "Presence" could you please stay at 1/5 or larger scale? (Note the comments about the Bates P40Bs... same goes for me.)

3. Could you consider subjects where there are "holes" in our modeling choices? The PCM 109 and Do335 are on hiatus.... The Robart P38 is MIA. Vailly kits are GREAT but I'd go blind with all the fuse planking. Except for the Platt, I wonder if anyone ever considered modeling anything except an A6M5. Any of a number of Japanese fighters (Ki-43, Ki-84) promise to be lovely, nimble models. There are a couple of excellent Russian warbird plans; no kits though. I know this may be heresy[X(] but could there be any interest in warbird biplanes? How about a Gloster Gladiator, CR-42, F3F, etc.? Best of both worlds.... aerobatics AND warbird nostalgia!

4. And please, if you take the trouble to make some nice glass fuses, could you go one small step further and add most of the major panel lines? And maybe some of the bigger dzus fastners, rivets or prominent latches?

Good luck and best wishes on your efforts. We're all pulling for you!!!
Old 07-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like the giant scale but to be realistic, I wont be able to have very many of them. Its a cost thing once in retirement. (Which I can see the light at the end of the tunnel) I'm getting partial to the 120 sized warbirds, around the 70" to 100" ws. Right size for transport and affordable. AND still easy enough to see in the air. Even though I dont have a Miester model I do plan on building some in the future. As nice as a glass fuse is, I still prefer to build mine out of wood. I like the reputation Miester's have as easy to fly. Pretty appealling for an average flyer like me. I have no problem dealing with modified airfoils to make it fly better as a model. I like to fly, (and build) but flying is just that end result that brings it all together. As far as what type of new planes, what has been mentioned is good for me too. Warbirds are my passion. I also love golden age and some civil aviation.
Edwin
Old 07-04-2007, 10:38 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Maybe birds in the 80-85" range that don't need retracts, like a Kate, Val, or Stuka. Models that would do well on the all the new 40-50cc engines out there. Full kits with glass options. Seems like these would be perfect for all the modelers out there looking to get into large Warbirds.
Personally I would love an 85" VAL.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:50 AM
saramos

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How about a 93" Mosquito?
Old 07-04-2007, 11:02 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ditto Ditto Ditto on the 85" Val. I have a plastic model of one I built years back and always thought it would make a good model.
Edwin
Old 07-04-2007, 01:11 PM
NCIS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

1/4 scale P-40 Warhawk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gibbs
Old 07-04-2007, 01:12 PM
NCIS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Make that 1/4 scale P-40 warhawk wood construction please!

Gibbs
Old 07-04-2007, 02:49 PM
mobyal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great question(s), PJ. Thanks for asking.
I'd like to see an 80+" FW190A4 thru 8, with the slightly longer nose due to the section added in front of the wing. All balsa would be fine w/ me, as I'm not too comfortable w/ a fibrerglas fuse. With all the accessories -- gun hoods, both the A8 and the earlier version, wing blisters, scoops, gear doors, etc. available or included in the kit. I'll pay more for such a package. If the fiberglas fuse is available, I'll probably spring for it, too.
Most important, though, I'd ask that you engineer the entire airplane around specific engine combinations, and offer a set of scale, drop-in retracts that can simply be installed out of the box. No shimming or other juryrigging. In other words, offer the complete package. I'll sure buy one.
Al
Old 07-04-2007, 05:20 PM
rrudytoo
My Feedback: (27)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey PJ,

Seeing how you're asking, I'll toss in my dos centavos. What I would really love to see would be a P-39 Airacobra somewhere between 80" to 100". Make that a mid-engine and I'd sell off my Jaguar to buy it. Robart already makes gear for the Dan Palmer P-63 (hint, hint) and all that would need to be done is to reverse the nose gear scissors position to make it comply to the P-39. Of course, Darrell at Sierra Precision could make up gear for this that would also rotate the few degrees required to make the mains lay flat in the wings when retracted.

As long as I have carte blanche here, how about a modified Bf 109 with airfoiled contours to the vertical and horizontal stabs along with a more scale shape to the fuselage? Do that to both your 84" and 102" model and you'll have my order in no time!

For those who haven't dealt with Dino and Aero Accessories before, let me tell you, this is a class act. Dino and PJ do a fantastic job of offering quality products to the modeling community and they have set the standard for customer service which is second to none. And if you should happen to see them at a fly-in one day, stop by and introduce yourself. They're regular guys having fun like the rest of us only they are fortunate enough to make their living by way of our hobby. Jealous? Me? You bet I am!

Al
Old 07-04-2007, 07:04 PM
ampeater

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A Ki-61 would be awesome. I think a lot more people are comfortable building with balsa than a fiberglass fuse. If you keep whatever you come out with to about 1/5, or 85", it would keep it within a reasonable size to electrify and give you a whole nother following. A lot of us are going electric now given noise concerns at our fields.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:20 PM
John Sohm
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's one that Dave Platt has modelled many times in the past but never made plans available and the only plans I've ever seen was a .60 size model and I snatched them up right away ... The Macchi C202 Folgore. It's got that Italian sleek sportscar look to it. 1/5 scale would be beautiful but it's not so overly large as to rule out 1/4 scale too. Would make a great project.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Capt. Winters
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would like to see a 82 in. TBF Avenger with glass fuse. I would also like to see the 80 in, P-39 glass fuse. May we call you "Santa" ? Take care Capt. Winters
Old 07-04-2007, 10:53 PM
Icemanjr92
My Feedback: (73)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

GUYS,
PLEASE KEEP THE COMMENTS FLOWING!!!! WE WANT YOUR INPUT!!! ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING.
WE CANT GUARANTEE THAT YOUR CHOICE OF AIRCRAFT WILL BE COMPLETED HOWEVER WE WILL TRY OUR BEST!!!

PLEASE... PLEASE... PLEASE.... KEEP UP THE IDEAS!
Old 07-05-2007, 12:53 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the 80" planes are a nice size for the transport chalenged.
a FW190A model,also P-51B malcom hood,ME 109E,Hellcat,more of the mid sized models with the accesorys included or at least a option to purchase like blisters gun hoods etc...your site is great but some of the planes are a little big for me.
being able to put a kit together and having all the extras in one package would be great also for that size,( 80") rather than trying to source out the little scale extras.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:32 AM
P-51B

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In the exact scale line, let's see, your already coming out with the P-51B/C Birdcage model so the next ones on the list would be (in no particular order);
[ul][*] BF-109E (lots of colour schemes available!)[*] P-39 Aircobra[*] IL2M3 Sturmovik[*] Hellcat[*] Ki-61 Hein[*] TBM Avenger[*] Dauntless[*] P-38[*] Ju-87D[*] LA-7[*] Maybe a Zero or Oscar
[/ul]

I think that if you offered each kit in a variety of sizes, like Wingspan Models is doing with their B-17, you would hit most of the market. While I like the idea of the nearly 1/4 scale P-51B, I think most people would be interested in something around the 1/5 scale for transport reasons. I also think that in picking the scale sizes, make them 1/4, 1/5, 1/6 etc., not 1/4.3 or 1/5.7, and make that uniform across the line. In choosing the scales you may consider some of the popular engine sizes like 50 and 85 cc.

The 1/5 and 1/6 size birds have a lot of accessories on the market, even the GI Joe pilots, and a 1/6 scale fighter would appeal to those folks switching to electric.

As far as kit materials, laser cut wood and maybe some available fiberglass fuselages are both good ideas you have.

Edited to add:

Oh, and try and keep accessory prices reasonable, I think wingspan will have issues with the $3900.00 retract price for the 1/6 scale bomber.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:32 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree with P-51B. Speaking for myself, I am much more interested in 1/5 sizes than the larger ones. Transportation, cost, storage are all factors.
In my own club I see a lot more 1/5 (or approximately 1/5 or smaller) than the 1/4 sized birds.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.