Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

The next Top Flite Giant Scale Warbird

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

The next Top Flite Giant Scale Warbird

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 05:57 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default The next Top Flite Giant Scale Warbird

Originally posted by G.F. Reid
Old Mill, you've got a good list there but if you want to talk historically important planes, you have to include the Hellcat. It's 19 to 1 kill ratio was unequalled by any other fighter aircraft of the war on any side of any front.
Over 5000 air to air kills in the Pacific accounting for 75% of all enemy aircraft destroyed by the U.S. Navy in WWII!
Not to mention that the Hellcat has near perfect proportions for a good flying model. Lots of wing, huge tail surfaces, scale down thrust, good moments. I've never seen a bad flying Hellcat, even at extreme weights.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:00 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Chances R

Originally posted by G-man
Chances of TF doing a twin are pretty slim....unless it were to be a limited run kit.
There was a Top Flite Red Box P-38 way back when.

I vote for an F8F Bearcat. They also had a red box one of those a long time ago.

Don
Old 03-11-2003, 06:06 PM
Old Mill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been reading up some on Hellcat, indeed it was a capable fighter. I guess my ignorance was just because I do not like the looks and I am partial to german aircraft.

Mill
Old 03-11-2003, 06:21 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How about a nice small biplane? Say, a Nieuport 17 (in liberated German livery of course, say Unteroffizier Bäumer's of Fliegeranteilung 7). Even better, a Thomas Morse Scout S4C. No retracts OR canpoy to complicate life; just a mile of interplane wires.

http://www.cradleofaviation.org/exhibits/ww1/scout/
Old 03-11-2003, 07:11 PM
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)

Mill, I think a little bit of both. Attrition hurt the Japanese a lot but if you're looking at 75% of their losses (to the US Navy) attributed to one type of plane, there had to be a significant number of seasoned pilots in that group. It can't be coincedence that 75% of their losses to the Navy showed up after the Hellcat came on line.
The F6F was a fine frontline fighter and there was virtually nothing that it didn't do well. Was it the very best at anything? Probably not but so very good at so many things.
Ace David McCampbell, pilot of Minsi III summed up his feelings about it when he said "I love this airplane so much, if it could cook, I'd marry it..."
Old 03-11-2003, 07:24 PM
Big Sasquatch

I have to put my vote in for the FW-190A. The TF FW190D is a great kit, but I think the A version looks better, and has more significance when it comes to WWII history than the D version.

#1=FW-190A
#2= Hellcat
#3=Zero
#4=TA-152
Old 03-11-2003, 07:25 PM
Old Mill

I also didn't realize the Helcat came out as early as it did. 1942 wasn't it? I thought it was a late war fighter and didn't see much action, boy was I wrong.

mill
Old 03-11-2003, 07:30 PM
G.F. Reid

November '43 Old Mill. Still plenty of fighting to be done though.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:32 PM
Ham639
My Feedback: (13)

Gentlemen,
I sure hope Top Flite is taking note here. From a marketng point of view (that's what I do for a living), Top Flite is on the verge of losing it's foot hold in their market place. Reasons:
1. Too heavy for todays standards
2. Too conserative in aircraft selection.
3. The market has pushed to the Giant Scale arena.
4. Arf's
5. See above

Sad, but true. Don't get me wrong, I love Top Flite kits, however other companies have stepped-up or became more commonplace because of the Internet. Personally I can't believe as large as Top Flite is (Hobbico) they haven't done this type of survey already. IF I had to bet what Top Flite would release next it would be:
1. Hellcat F6F
2. Zero
3. Bearcat
I would love to see a Hurricane, a Bf 109E or an Oscar. But, you never will with the same management they have now. Too risky of a business advanture.

The Hellcat would be perfect. Gear is available, Great flying moments (like Chad said) and it's an Allied aircraft.

The Zero would be good too. Same as the Hellcat (gear available and a good model). Plus you see these aircraft all over the place. This translates into a "safe" marketing decision.

Bearcat. What more can I say. I great flying airplane if kept light. (I don't think TF could do this). Nobody makes the right gear for it for "Sportscale use", so a P-51 style gear would do.

If I build scale (which I do) I will build a Ziroli, Bates or Taylor design first. If I'm building a everyday flyer (which Top Flite does) I'll build a Top Flite or Heritage (a great kit, just too small) kit. That's what these kits are intended for. Great instructions, descent flying and relatively durable.

Guys, I hope TF is paying attention because the market place is there. Your input here has proven that. Keep this thread alive and maybe they'll take notice.

Just my .02¢ worth.

Chuck
Old 03-11-2003, 07:36 PM
Old Mill

My bad, yet again, read was delivered to USAF in october 42, might have been test models or something.

I focus so much on europe I tend to neglect the air war in the pacific, funny too because of how truly vital it was.

Mill
Old 03-11-2003, 07:37 PM
Uncle Heinkel

I would pull the plastic out of my wallet in a heartbeat for:

Hawker Hurricane
Ju-88
Heinkel 111
Sopwith Camel
Me 108 Taifun
Wildcat ( with reasonably priced LG)
B-24- larger than Stafford but not huge.

I build from plans all the time, it's my preferred way of building and usually the only way I can get what I want....but I appreciate building a scale KIT every now and then for the speed and ease of it.

One more wish/pet peeve: if Top Flite wants me to buy one of their kits, they must at least give us the OPTION of scale landing gear location. I understand some sport pilots need the compromise but please allow us to easily put the LG in the right place if we want it there.

I hope Top Flite reads this forum.

H.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:49 PM
dorjes
My Feedback: (19)

WHATEVER it is - please -

1. Make it accurate to outline to a good three view and enclose the three view. The Hellcat and Zero could be accurate to outline without stretching anything. Take the time to make it right. The T/F Focke wulf is an example of how not to do it.

2. Make sure the wheels retract into the wing in the correct spot. The Giant P47 Wheel/ gear sticking out fiasco - 'nuff said.

3. Charge an extra $50 and include a good fiberglass cowl.

4. Do a correct static prop and spinner - they'll sell, I promise.

Top Flite , you are close to getting it right - and I know you can get it done.

You'll sell a bunch of 'em. (as long as they're not French designs.<G>)

I'll buy one.

Dorin Luck
Old 03-11-2003, 08:03 PM
grahamd1

Still think the Mossie would be one mean machine.

Uncle Heinkel I'm visiting Hawaii in May/June from the UK, any good Hobby Stores ?
Old 03-11-2003, 08:08 PM
ryanvu
My Feedback: (3)

I agree with DORJES 100%...well may be 99%

If you're going to produce a scale kit, then make it SCALE.

Definitely include the 3-views drawing so builder doesn't have to search everywhere for one.

We'll pay more for the good quality fiberglass parts...skip the ABS plastic stuff. Make the parts SCALE.

As to the French thing...Come on now, leave that one alone.

How about a Mig 3, Yak 9...something Russian.
Or how about Hurricane, Typhoon...for the British Fan.

You don't have to always produce something popular like Mustang, Thunderbolt all the time...You produce something nice, great quality then you'll make it popular - be original.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2003, 08:16 PM
budcop
My Feedback: (23)

Default A Big Hellcat

I would love to see a gold edition "big" Hellcat ! !

{seems like somebody should have an idea of what T.F. is going to do !}
Old 03-11-2003, 08:17 PM
Uncle Heinkel

Aloha Graham!

We have only one major RC hobby shop on Oahu, not sure about the outer islands.

In Honolulu it's the "Hobbietat".

FYI, here's our club website: www.asrcc.org

The site has directions to our field....hope you can drop by....Sunday afternoons are the best for scale.

Hope you have a great visit!

H.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:27 PM
grahamd1

Thanks for that Uncle....
Old 03-11-2003, 09:46 PM
JDHammer

Default Summary #3

Wow, have just finished doing some number crunching on the great ideas you guys are posting. 33 suggested aircraft types so far!

Why am I doing this and why did I start this thread, you ask? Well my warbird experience so far has been building and flying a Pica T-28 (Yes the T-28 actually saw combat in SE Asia).Because I like working with wood, I want to build a Top Flite giant scale kit next and then a Ziroli (this would allow a gradual learning progression). When I looked at Top Flite's ad for warbirds, they looked good but didn't really spark any interest because the choice for Giant Scale is either Mustang or Thunderbolt. While these are great aircraft and I admire anyone who has built and flown them, something different is what I was looking for. When I saw Top Flite's website, it looked like they were trying to do something new so I started this thread to see what the RCU guys could come up with to influence them. Any one of these top 10 suggestions that you have offered would be a pretty exciting build. (Or all 33 for that matter).

Here's the next summary:

Zero.............................................. ................8 votes

Hurricane......................................... .............7 votes

Me109, Hellcat........................................... ..6 votes each

Mosquito, Wildcat........................................5 votes each

JU88, Bearcat, Tempest, Yak,
Stormavik......................................... ............3 votes each

Spitfire, Skyraider, Ki61, Typhoon,
Machi202, Ki43, FW190A, Mig....................2 votes each

SBD, HarvardII, Avenger, Komet, Aichi,
Ki84, B Mustang, Me262, Thomas Morse,
TA152, He111, Sopwith Camel, B24,
Me108............................................. .............1 vote each
Old 03-11-2003, 10:37 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What next

ok you have this info....how about getting someone from Top Flite to chime in and give us an idea? I remember when Great Planes and Ann Marie I think her name was was active on one the lists. I like this topic...definitely from the minds of Minolta. I can't believe my #1 and #2 choices only gotta enuff votes for the gaggle in 2nd place. What this pole is showing is that TF does have a good following and guys are eager for good scale topics and projects.i am curious as to what there pole came up with. Lets keep this one going because I amm sure with a little politikin I can get my choices into the top gaggle of planes.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:30 PM
ron45

Here is my 2 cents worth::: I think they should come out with large WW1 planes like in the 1/3 scale range::::::::::: say maybe a fokker D8 , or fokker D V11 , or even a sopwith triplane, or PUP
Old 03-11-2003, 11:46 PM
JDHammer

Ron 45- Those choices will be in our next campaign, "Balsa USA, 1/3 scale or Bust". No, just kidding.

Actually, I think our next campaign should be to get RCV to make larger engines above the 90 and 120. Just think of all those scale warbirds flying with scale propellers and scale-like engine sound.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:09 AM
ron45

Right now I am building a 1/3 scale fokker D8 and after that I will start my 1/3 scale sopwith triplane, the engine for that will be the RCShowcase 215cc ( 13.1 ci ) 5 cylinder 4 stroke radial gas engine. The sound of this engine is close to scale. By the way I already have Balsa USA's 1/3 scale planes ( PUP & Morane A1 )
Old 03-12-2003, 02:10 AM
pabdoc

Default Next TF "Gold Kit?"

I would love to see a F6F Hellcat, or a F8F Bearcat from TF. I am partial to the F8F, but have a hard time seeing it as a true WWII combat participant. It came out of production at Grumman too late to see much action, though it would have been a very formidable challenge to any of the Axis planes.

Both models would offer generous space for mounting large engines for realistic, scale-like performance, and retracts are available for not too much $. True WWII combatant: Hellcat.

Best flying, most eye-pleasing model: a US Navy F8F "Bearcat!"

(My vote goes to the F8F)
Old 03-12-2003, 02:44 AM
Bruce L Prater

1) T-28C
2) Hellcat
3) Zero
And put in fiberglass parts
Old 03-12-2003, 03:10 AM
JDHammer

Those who chose the F4F Wildcat earlier-I can see your point. It's got great lines compared to the Hellcat, a fascinating gear retract system, and a storied history. (Midway, Butch O'Hare, and the Thatch Weave). Is it too late to change a vote?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	62315_7946.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	37738  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.