Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Tips on Overseas Shipping?

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Tips on Overseas Shipping?

Old 07-12-2007, 01:30 AM
SMUGator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips on Overseas Shipping?

I'm trying to do a friend a favor and ship a replacement Spitfire fuse to Australia, but all of the shipping quotes I'm getting for the large box (42 x 24 x 12) are over $500 from Seattle. Anyone here have any creative ideas or experiences in moving large packages overseas?

Thanks in advance,
Tom
Old 07-12-2007, 01:53 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tips on Overseas Shipping?

wow! that pricey for another 500$ you could persnally deliver it yourself.
DHL is usually pretty resonable http://www.dhl.com.au/publish/au/en/.../air.high.html
if I had to ship a fuse to AUS I would have my surfboard under one hand and the fuse under the other.
drop the model at your buddys and head to the beach.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:41 AM
The Raven

You should avoid using a USPS or UPS. USPS won't handle a package that big and UPS will charge a fortune at this end (I'm in Australia). I would try someone like FedEx, noting they will charge a $40 'customs' fee. The fee isn't too bad as they way FedEx does it tends to make it easier to get things through without hangups.

Don't mess with sea freight (assuming anyone bothers with it these days) as it's likely to get damaged.

Most parcels leave LAX by air on Tuesday and Thursday. If you send it so it will arrive at LAX on a Monday, odds are the delivery is real quick. I've had stuff in under 48hours from the US but as long as 14 days otherwise.

Don't try to dodge the customs declarations. Be honest but not overly specific. Most model stuff I've seen come internationally (without hiccup) was labeled 'toy', 'toy parts' or similar. Too specific the customs guys will try to fit it to an exact category for duties (if applicable) a more generic category will be easier for them...

DHL also do Australia, not sure on their cost effectiveness as I've never dealt with them.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:23 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

All the Ozzies on this forum feel your pain[] You lot have it real good come time to buy items and having it shipped around.

The best way i found to get around it was to find a friend who works with shipping stuff around Mates girlfriend used to get shipping discounts at her work and i managed to get my 1/4 scale Me-163 Komet kit here for $75USD when all the other quotes were around the $600USD mark

Hope you all the best.

thanks

Dave
Old 07-12-2007, 11:12 AM
SMUGator

Thanks for all the advice. Working with a friend of a friend at DHL at the moment to see what they can do for us.

Tom
Old 07-13-2007, 02:43 AM
SMUGator

Looks like we have a plan for under $125. Thanks again for the advice.

Tom
Old 07-13-2007, 05:12 AM
ticketec

hey tom,

Are you going to let the cat out of the bag and let us know what kind of spitty your sending over?

thanks

Dave
Old 07-13-2007, 05:42 AM
BOLTMAN
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am going to take a guess here and say I reckon it is a later model Spit for a chap I know............. and will it be going to Brisbane?

Dave, how are you going with getting the P-51 up from Melbourne? I have not forgotten about the manual. I am not going to make it to the warbirds day at Logan, but I am sure we will meet up at some stage.

Cheers

Old 07-13-2007, 06:02 AM
ticketec

I reckon your on the money also seeing as Ron put his in not that long ago.

I still haven't picked up the fuse from my parents place. i was supposed to go down there tomorrow but i've got the flu and so not that keen to go down to were it's even colder. scheduled pick will be in about 4 weekends time.

Thanks for remebering about the manual. i'm trying to do some research and finnd out if i can fit the Byron 4 blade setup in her........ oh baby, oh yeah

thanks

Dave
Old 07-13-2007, 02:11 PM
SMUGator

That's pretty good guessing.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:07 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: SMUGator

That's pretty good guessing.

too bloody good for mine
Old 07-13-2007, 07:00 PM
MP3_tilaco

I live in Santiago of Chile in South America, I bought a lot of kit from USA by ebay and I know about ask for shipping, always I need to aks for the cheap shipping fee, some one send it with out any problem but other one have a lot of problem,I don't know why.
The cheapest way is for USPS Global Priority, usualy for a small kit like House of Balsa the fee is about US$25, for medium kit like Liberty Sport or DR1 from VK is US$35
If you sell please sell to worldwide, I didn't lost any box or kit and we pay quickly.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:05 PM
ticketec

ORIGINAL: MP3_tilaco

If you sell please sell to worldwide, I didn't lost any box or kit and we pay quickly.

Yeah!!! I don't know why they say no international shipping?????? I have wanted to purchase plenty of stuff on ebay but they will not ship overseas.

What's the deal? If i pay my money, understand the higher cost of shipping, and the funds clear, who cares were it goes to? I've even stated i am happy to wait till they are confident the funds have cleared.

It used to frustrate me, but now i think, too bad, they could have made more money for it.

Thanks

Dave
Old 07-13-2007, 07:25 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

the reason is most of em can not be bothered filling in the form plus they are concered at international buyers claiming not to have rxd the goods then claiming a refund through paypal.

I have had this happen to me a few times, still 99.99% of the buyers are honest but you do get the odd one who is there simply to try it on or normally has been put up to it by an oppostion seller, a resident of newcastle, think you know which one I mean Dave.

cheers
Peter
Old 07-13-2007, 10:39 PM
tony-howard
My Feedback: (224)

I've sold and sent lots of kits and engines internationally over the years as well as a number of my Mustang exhaust kits. At first I didn't like having to fill out our Customs Declaration form. But its not really that hard to do and now it's second nature. I now fill them out before I leave for the Post Office to minimize the delay once I get there.

The only other reservation some may have is that package tracking is not available using our cheapest international shipping rates. That's never been a problem for me although right after 9-11 I shipped an expensive gas twin to England and it took 5 weeks to be delivered! Both the purchaser and I were getting pretty squirmy before it arrived. Customs inspection delays were the problem then and may be so again.

One tip to sending things to countries where English is not the national language is to ask the buyer to send their address in their native language. If you add that with a space below the english version address it may help it get there. (This was a tip given me by a local Postal clerk.)

FWIW my 2 cents worth.

Tony
Pacific Scaled Aircraft
Old 07-13-2007, 10:49 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

that is what I do as well.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:09 PM
flyingpiggy

HI there
I just imported a VQ models P38 lightning {second hand - 2 large boxes} from Texas to Christchurch NZ. I found a local car importer who brings in Corvettes and Mustangs etc and he agreed to load my model into his cars. It cost me 200NZ$ including all the US customs BS. The model arrived in good cond and will be flying in a month or two.
Perhaps this may be feasible for you also.

I hope this helps

Regards
Dave Read
Old 07-13-2007, 11:38 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

G'day Dave,
good idea mate, finding a container such as that coming in is the trick though.

In my RAAF days they would load cars, furniture etc into the back of Hercs doing the trip from the US back to oz. Ahh the good old days!

Mind you they have C17s now so could fit quite a few large models in. mmm wonder if anyone knows a friendly loadie hehe

cheers
Peter

ORIGINAL: flyingpiggy

HI there
I just imported a VQ models P38 lightning {second hand - 2 large boxes} from Texas to Christchurch NZ. I found a local car importer who brings in Corvettes and Mustangs etc and he agreed to load my model into his cars. It cost me 200NZ$ including all the US customs BS. The model arrived in good cond and will be flying in a month or two.
Perhaps this may be feasible for you also.

I hope this helps

Regards
Dave Read
Old 02-12-2008, 10:33 AM
mdbofny

We are involved in very large scale of the business as ocean and air freight shipping, interior design, furniture buy and sale, antique reproduction sculpture buy and sale, real estate buy and sale.

MDB of New York is a family owned and operated company with over 8 years of industry experience. We specialize both in Ocean Export (full and less than container load, FCL/LCL), Automobiles, Oversized, and Project Cargo and in Air Export. Whether you are shipping 1 box or 1,000 full containers, or you want to ship by aur, your shipment is important to us. Our commitment to making your shipping experience the best possible has set us apart from the competition.
For a free no-obligation quote, please access the Quote Request form and populate the fields accordingly. Upon receipt, we will review the data and get back to you promptly with a quote.

MDB of New York, Inc.
2301 Ave. Z.
Brooklyn, New York 11235
Telephone: 718-332-3177
Fax: 718-332-2164
E-mail: [email protected]
Old 02-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Whistling Death

Just fax it to him.................................. Crickets.........

Sorry, but ther is always a smarta** in the bunch.