Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Warbirds and Robo Struts

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Warbirds and Robo Struts

Old 02-25-2002, 04:02 AM
Auger Din

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warbirds and Robo Struts

Has anybody tried installing Robart Robo Struts onto their warbirds? How did they mount? And how did they work out?

I was tinkering around with the idea of using them on my GP P-51 ARF, and decided to surf the Robart website for some inspiration but didn't see any information on how they were mounted, or any indication as to which to use for a 6-1/2 to 7 lb model.

I would tend to think that they would look good on a model that doesn't have retracts, and would dress it up pretty good. Any ideas?

Clear skies
Old 02-25-2002, 08:37 AM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Default ROBO STRUTS

I PUT A SET OF ROBO STRUTS ON MY TOPFLITE P-40,THEY ARE MOUNTED IN TWO HALF SECTION AND A RETAINER CAP ON THE TOP.I ALSO PUT A SET ON MY AT-6 WITH RETRACTS.I DID HAVE TO DO SOME MODIFYING ON THE LANDING GEAR WIRE SO THEY WOULD RETRACTED OKAY.I THEN SPRAY PAINTED THEM AND PUT A PIECE OF CHROME MONOCOATE WERE THE SHOCKABSORBER IS.I HAVE TO ADMIT THEY DONT LOOK LIKE A RETRACTS BUT THEY DO LOOK BETTER THEN THE CHICKEN LEG TYPE LANDING GEAR.
NEDYOB
Old 02-25-2002, 01:00 PM
Taildragger
My Feedback: (204)

OK, he was thinking of the plastic cover-ups you can get for small planes. I put a set of struts on a Dynaflite PT-19. You install the wire gear as normal but then cut the leg off about 1/2 in. past where it comes out of the wing. Take your Dremel and grind a flat spot on it that is parallel to the wheel and slip the strut on and tighten the set screw. Very easy and it only takes a couple minutes. Use some high quality loc-tite on your set screws. They smooth out a rough grass field very well. After a whole summer of flying I never had a set screw come loose.
Old 02-25-2002, 02:38 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just finished putting the robo struts on my TF (60) Corsair. I ,in my arrogant attitude) , thought landing would be no problem since I can grease 'em in with all my other planes. WRONG, I did a slam and go and bent a strut (3/16) then had to retract the other gear and set it down in the tall field grass. Just finished putting on the #650 robo struts and waiting for a good day to test it.
Edwin
Old 02-25-2002, 09:53 PM
Auger Din

Default Robo Struts

Sounds like they won't be too difficult to install. Just trim the landing gear wire off after it exits the wing mount, and set screw the Robo's in place. Sounds like a workable option, and I think I'll follow it.

I've heard from other's that the struts are a great way to help smooth landings, and that they work well. Now All I need is what the part number is that I will need to fit my particular plan's weight.

Thanks much guys.
Old 02-25-2002, 10:24 PM
Edwin

IT wasnt quite that easy to install. I had to drill and tap the set screw holes on the ones from robart (#650).
Edwin
Old 02-26-2002, 12:44 AM
1wolf
My Feedback: (3)

Default struts

They aren't bad to install just make sure to get them tight. I use loctite on mine (just the light hold stuff not the stuff you have to heat to get apart) I put a set of Robarts on the TF P-40. A friend of mine just installed a set of Gene Barton's struts on a TF P-51 and they look very nice. Installation was maybe just a touch easier with Barton's but they are both pretty easy to do. Price on Barton's was I believe a little cheaper than Robart's but I'm not positive. I am sure model has a lot to do with price. This should be a good email if you you want to check with Gene If not email me and I'll double check it.
[email protected]
Old 02-26-2002, 01:31 AM
desmobob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious about them too. I just bought a set for my yet-to-be-built Wing Mfg. Douglas A-26 Invader. I was surprised at the apparent strength of the springs in them. I'm wondering if they will even move in a normal landing....

The look well-made, and I may buy some for other planes I'm already flying.
Old 02-26-2002, 01:48 AM
Edwin

Where are the Gene Barton retracts advertised? Never heard of them before. Does he have a web site?
Edwin
Old 02-26-2002, 04:13 AM
1wolf

Default retracts

Here is his web site
http://www.genebarton.com/
He just made a set for a 101" B-25 for me and they are STOUT the difference in strength is very obvious and the lock mechanism is simple and very effective in both up and down positions. I won't be buying retracts from anywhere else after seeing his compared to the others I have. Not trying to sound like an ad or anything he just make a good set of retracts and with giant scale retracts going from 300 to 500 a set I need them to last.
Old 02-26-2002, 03:03 PM
Edwin

Good point 1wolf. I'm planning on getting into giant scale sometime next year. The first ones will be fixed gear but later I'll be doing warbirds. I've got the cost of everything under control except retracts. Unless I make my own, its a good idea to put out the money so they will last.
Edwin
Old 02-26-2002, 11:56 PM
1wolf

Default retracts

I understand Edwin I have one now that I'm going to go fixed and just have Barton make a nice set of struts for it. That will save me several hundred dollars and still look very nice.