Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Royal Corsair .60 project

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Royal Corsair .60 project

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 03:20 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Royal Corsair .60 project

Carefully sand them to shape. Drill a hole in the back and attach them to a length of dowel. Next cover them with thin CA and quickly wipe it off.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	99579_21604.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	38804  
Old 08-06-2003, 03:23 AM
dionysusbacchus

I cut a piece of 1/8" ply with a hole in the center. I then took some plastic from an old cracked canopy and lightly stapled it on. I used the vise to hold the heat gun, heat the plastic until it starts to get wavy.

Name:	99580_21604.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	38805  
Old 08-06-2003, 03:25 AM
dionysusbacchus

This is how it should look.

Name:	99581_21604.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	38806  
Old 08-06-2003, 03:25 AM
v6goose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post faster, post faster!!

Err... I'm working... honest!
Old 08-06-2003, 03:26 AM
dionysusbacchus

Put your new light cover on the wing tip and draw a line around the edge.

Name:	99582_21604.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	38807  
Old 08-06-2003, 03:30 AM
dionysusbacchus

Very carefully with a dremel I cut a slightly lower section around the cut out area. This shows the lens being test fit. The wing will then be completely finished the fake light bulbs installed and the light covers glued on last.

Luke

Name:	99583_21604.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	38808  
Old 08-06-2003, 03:38 AM
dionysusbacchus

Originally posted by V6goose
Post faster, post faster!!

Err... I'm working... honest!
You stuck that post in the middle, didn't even know you were there! It's 12:37 here in FL, got to get to bed!

Hope you enjoy this little bit of info!

Luke
Old 08-06-2003, 03:45 AM
v6goose

...and thats where the additional 1/8" went.

Cool! I usually sit here thinking "Hmmmm, now how the hell is that gonna work, and hey presto!

Nice work Luke...

Goose
Old 08-06-2003, 01:24 PM
dionysusbacchus

Yea, I know what you mean Goose, I do that when I watch others work. Thanks for all the input Dude! You are a true Corsair fanatic!

Ever notice that odd light on the right wing of early F4U-1D's? Actually it has two, one flat blue one and in front of that one that sticks out! It was later deleted, but I'm doing the early F4U-1D so I had to add it.

I like working with clay so I sculpted the light and covered it with silicone to make a mold. I then filled it with resin mixed with Micro Balloons. Before it set up I stuck a bent pin in it.

Name:	99634_21604.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	38809  
Old 08-06-2003, 01:26 PM
dionysusbacchus

I put down some aluminum tape and glued it on. On the rear light I cut the aluminum tape in a circle so that I could insert a blue lens in the center so it sits flush with the surface.

Name:	99635_21604.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	38810  
Old 08-06-2003, 02:15 PM
YAT-28E

Details!!

Luke, Great idea's!! I will be using a lot of these for my 1st Scale Project!! This winter of course. I t certainley helps guys like me who do not have a lot of building experince and wants to stay away from ARFS and build a nice lookin craft!

It is always great to SEE these tricks of the trade. Not all the guys at the field are into all those details. It is true, a picture is worth a 1000 words!

What did we do before digital camera's, internet, ........

Mike
Old 08-06-2003, 07:48 PM
dionysusbacchus

It is always great to SEE these tricks of the trade. Not all the guys at the field are into all those details. It is true, a picture is worth a 1000 words!
Hi Mike,

Glad you like my detail work! I am starting to think I'm in the wrong area with this stuff, maybe should have posted it in the scale section. I know my scale interests are on the fringe, like what you said about the guys at your field. Not much of an audience for the details I like, this part is the most fun for me. After all the bumps and panels are put on and you hit it all with a nice paint job, that is the icing on the cake!

Anyway I'm glad I could help, it's nice to see another TRUE scale nut! (not just slapping stars and bars on an eyeball scale and calling it a war bird! )

Luke
Old 08-06-2003, 10:26 PM
WarpdSpazm

Luke,

who's bomb is that?

I saw the bomb on your site and am trying to find one (well two) for my Thunderbolt..

thanks

Name:	99734_36945.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	38811  
Old 08-06-2003, 11:04 PM
dionysusbacchus

They were made by Vortac, as far as I know they went out of business? Tower sells another release mechanism that they use on the only drop tank they sell now. I'm going to be making my own bombs, I was just using that one as an example. It's the old exploding bomb.

Luke
Old 08-07-2003, 01:08 AM
WarpdSpazm

yup.. Vortac is out of business... And finding their stuff is impossible... yet try I must.

I don't know if i'm up to fabbing my own exploding bombs...
Old 08-09-2003, 07:46 PM
Glorystomper
My Feedback: (1)

Luke,

I never did ask you about the pilot step cut-out.. did you do it by hand or was it one of the die-cut pieces of the kit?
Old 08-11-2003, 12:07 PM
dionysusbacchus

Hey Stompa, The step was just cut out after I made the flap. It's not even shown on the Royal plan. I know my wing is not scale in that area, I made the flap to short. It should go all the way to the fuselage. As I said before though, this project started out as just a sport job, and I always build the wing first, that is why I made the flaps more of a sport version. My next Corsair will be all scale, including the aileron hinging with concealed linkage. I have learned a lot on this project, thanks to everyone, RCU is a great place to learn.

Luke

This is how the rocket launch stubs look, I decided to make them non functional. Although they could be made to hold rockets at a later date with little modification.

Name:	100876_21604.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	38812  
Old 08-11-2003, 01:09 PM
Glorystomper

Very spanky indeed!

Are you planning on flying it with the drop tank, bombs, and missiles?

What's your target/estimated weight of that bad boy going to be including a full tank, engine, electronic hardware etc?

Can't wait to see more pics.. keep us updated!
Old 08-11-2003, 05:17 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Luke, do you happen to have any good pics of the underside of the wing showing the radiators? I'm at that point in construction of the plug for the Taylor airplane and I really don't want to spend a bunch of time on it only to be wrong! This is the one area of the airplane that I'm having the hardest time finding good pics and information on. What I really need is some pics of the underside taken from the rear and showing the general shape of and also the door. Any help would be much appreciated.

PS- Anybody have the Aero Details Corsair book they would be willing to lend out?!!!
Old 08-11-2003, 11:53 PM
Dave G

Luke, Wanna detail out my current Bearcat project?

I'm definantly going to use you nav light cover technique for my project. I just got a set of RAM nav lights and was trying to convince myself that the inspiration to make the covers would surface. Thanks!

Great skill you've got. It really shows.

Happy Landings.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:34 PM
dionysusbacchus

Originally posted by Chad Veich
Luke, do you happen to have any good pics of the underside of the wing showing the radiators? I'm at that point in construction of the plug for the Taylor airplane and I really don't want to spend a bunch of time on it only to be wrong! This is the one area of the airplane that I'm having the hardest time finding good pics and information on. What I really need is some pics of the underside taken from the rear and showing the general shape of and also the door. Any help would be much appreciated.

PS- Anybody have the Aero Details Corsair book they would be willing to lend out?!!!
Hi Chad, Sorry about being off line for a while, Windows XP had a bug that kept shutting down my computer and then I got a computer virus! It's all fixed now.

Yea that is an area that is wrong on most every plan I've seen or not really shown at all! Most just have a flat bottom rib in that area but I think from my observations that the radiator had a slight bulge and a very rounded leading edge. I took this picture at an air show and you can see the shape if you look at the panel line, it has an ever so slight roundness to it. I'll look for more pictures. I did get those Super Scale drawings finally, not really that great if you ask me, but everything helps, or adds to the confusion! I've added the Taylor plan to my chopping block on my site! It is purely coincidental that you are building that design, I had panned to do that one from the start.

Take some pictures of your work so I can examine it! haha

Luke

Name:	101143_21604.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	38813  
Old 08-12-2003, 02:38 PM
dionysusbacchus

Originally posted by Dave G
Luke, Wanna detail out my current Bearcat project?

I'm definantly going to use you nav light cover technique for my project. I just got a set of RAM nav lights and was trying to convince myself that the inspiration to make the covers would surface. Thanks!

Great skill you've got. It really shows.

Happy Landings.
Thanks Dave, glad I could help! I want to see how it works out, should look really cool! Post some pictures when you do this mod so others can see. I am going to make a small hatch in the bottom of the wing tip so that the bulb can be removed by unplugging a small connector.

Get to work!

Luke
Old 08-12-2003, 03:02 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

Hi Luke:

Which Taylor plans are you reviewing on your web site? The .60 size Corsair plans or the 82 inch Corsair plans. The reason I ask is you show a picture of a Corsair that was built from an enlarged version of the .60 size plans. Here is the quote from the builder when he originally posted the picture:
I built it several years ago from blown up .60 size Brian Taylor plans because the 82" plans weren't available then.
Although I have not looked at the 82 inch plans, I have been told they are not an enlarged version of the .60 size plans but rather, a completely redrawn set of plans. It might be beneficial to address both sets of plans in your assessment of the Taylor Corsair, that way we will be able to make an objective judgment of the scale fidelity of both plans. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:12 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the picture Luke. I also received some very good pictures from "Juice" which I will send along to you if he says it is OK. They really helped clear up some questionable areas for me.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:21 PM
dionysusbacchus

Originally posted by k_sonn
Hi Luke:

Which Taylor plans are you reviewing on your web site? The .60 size Corsair plans or the 82 inch Corsair plans. It might be beneficial to address both sets of plans in your assessment of the Taylor Corsair, that way we will be able to make an objective judgment of the scale fidelity of both plans. Thanks.
Thank you k-sonn, I have changed my site already to avoid confusion. I'll be going over the 82" plan next. Thanks for the heads up!

Luke

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.