Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Royal Corsair .60 project

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Royal Corsair .60 project

Old 05-06-2003, 03:48 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Royal Corsair .60 project

This is a sneak peak of it sitting on the wheels, the wing is not permanently attached yet!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	76300_21604.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	38733  
Old 05-06-2003, 03:50 PM
dionysusbacchus

Installing the missile racks, also notice the 1/64" ply on the gear door edge. This closes the gap, but it still allows me to pull the pins on the door hinges when the doors are open.

Name:	76301_21604.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	38734  
Old 05-06-2003, 03:52 PM
dionysusbacchus

Also added the 1/64" ply to finish the bomb racks, yea I love 1/64" ply!

Name:	76302_21604.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	38735  
Old 05-06-2003, 04:02 PM
HalH
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Royal Corsair

I have a NEW Royal cockpit kit that I would love to sell. $15
Old 05-06-2003, 04:13 PM
scottrc

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wish I had your site when I built my Royal .60. It was my first Corsair because I found the kit for $20 at a yard sale and guys thought I was crazy for building it. Rumor has it the Royal kits are hard to build.
This kit was really great for detailing out. You are doing a wonderful job. I want to use your pictures as references for my next scale corsair.
I had to sell my Corsair to help buy my house.
Built the TF and didn't like it as much as the Royal.
Right now building the new PICA Laser Cut kit. It is Fun Scale to say the least.
I had Robart 615s on mine and they installed really easy. I did have one cylinder that kept leaking, but now problems with the durability of the struts.
What degree of offset is your engine? I had a ST 91 on mine at 5 deg.
My Corsair was a snap roll queen. Flew like the real one I guess. If the engine quit, I had a brick with wings.

Thanks for the great site.
Scott
Old 05-06-2003, 04:20 PM
foxx
My Feedback: (2)

y kit came with instructional manual and a large poster that has the 3-view drawings and different color schemes even very rare ones . Very informative.
Old 05-06-2003, 04:50 PM
dionysusbacchus

My Corsair was a snap roll queen. Flew like the real one I guess. If the engine quit, I had a brick with wings.
scottrc,

I would NOT recommend any Royal kit to a beginner! They are not difficult to build, but you have to already know what you are doing. The TF kits have great instruction books and things to help new scale builders. The wing is a real trick to get straight on the Royal Corsair, the instructions say to build it free hand ! Hello snap roll queen! The one that I am building here is not a everyday flyer, I've got 2 other Royal Corsair kits and an extra cowl that I can use for sport models. I'm building this to show the big guys that a "small" model can be just as impressive in the air if it is built and flown properly!

Thanks for the compliments!

Luke
Old 05-06-2003, 04:53 PM
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)

Boy, I wish I'd gotten the color poster. I've had three Royal kits, including the Corsair and I only got one poster.
Dave O, the instruction manual may not be what a lot of people think of when they say "manual". It's just a collection of written instructions, no diagrams or photos. Usually, the exact same instructions are on the plans so you don't really have to have them.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:20 PM
The BIG O

Default Royal Corsair

Originally posted by G.F. Reid
Boy, I wish I'd gotten the color poster. I've had three Royal kits, including the Corsair and I only got one poster.
Dave O, the instruction manual may not be what a lot of people think of when they say "manual". It's just a collection of written instructions, no diagrams or photos. Usually, the exact same instructions are on the plans so you don't really have to have them.
Greg, I wish I had gotten a copy of the instruction book. Is it many pages long ? I can use all the hints that I can get on building this kit ! By the way, I did get a poster with my kit.
P.S.- If anyone can send me a copy of there instruction booklet, my address is Dave Orlando, 606 Karlson Dr., Mansfield, Ohio 44904. I'll send you the postage amount you spent to do it.
Thanks,
Dave O
Old 05-06-2003, 11:31 PM
dionysusbacchus

BIG O,

I have the instructions, plus all the templates on disk for this kit! The instruction book isn't much, I can send it in a zip file if you want.

Luke
Old 05-06-2003, 11:35 PM
The BIG O

Originally posted by dionysusbacchus
Installing the missile racks, also notice the 1/64" ply on the gear door edge. This closes the gap, but it still allows me to pull the pins on the door hinges when the doors are open.
Luke,
Are the Robart retracts mechanical or just air type ? What engine mount do you plan on using ? I haven't bought an engine yet for my royal kit but I do like the Saito FA-56 (it might be a little under powered for this plane). Where did you get the piano hinges and do all sections of the flaps work off one servo (i need to look at your web site again and see how you tied them all together). Your F4-U is the best I have ever seen, want to build mine ? Everyone has a price !
Big O
Old 05-07-2003, 12:04 AM
dionysusbacchus

Originally posted by The BIG O
Luke,
Are the Robart retracts mechanical or just air type ? What engine mount do you plan on using ? I haven't bought an engine yet for my royal kit but I do like the Saito FA-56 (it might be a little under powered for this plane). Where did you get the piano hinges and do all sections of the flaps work off one servo (i need to look at your web site again and see how you tied them all together). Your F4-U is the best I have ever seen, want to build mine ? Everyone has a price !
Big O
Hi BIG O, Don't use the FA-56, you might get some good high speed taxi runs in! I'm using the OS .91, I don't think it needs all that power but why not have it? The engine is the same size as a .60 engine and I can swing a bigger prop, that will look better than a tooth pick! I cut the hardwood motor mounts as per the plan, it's a good system and they work well. I used the Robart 615 air retracts. I made the hinges for the flaps, I used the Ziroli method as shown on his giant Corsair plan. Yes all six flaps move with one servo and very nicely I might add . I explain most of the details on my site. I started the wing before I got a digital camera though, so I have no pictures of it's early construction. I may add that when I build my next one, it will be a sport version.

You can build yours! Keep it simple if you are new to scale building though. I drew a line on my building board and glued the main spar to the table using triangles to keep it straight. I cut hard balsa triangles and glued the wing tips to them and the building board. Use the centerline drawn down the center of the ribs for alignment. When the rear center section spar is added, use ply shims under the two lower gull parts and glue it to the table. Sheet and build as much of the wing as you can before removing it from the table.

Thanks for the compliments,

Luke
Old 05-07-2003, 01:58 PM
scottrc

"The wing is a real trick to get straight on the Royal Corsair, the instructions say to build it free hand"

I built my wing in a jig because, since the main spars and ribs were ply, I was not very trusting that the wing would not warp and would not be very flexible to try to fix if not perfectly aligned before gluing.
Setting up the wing alignment to the fuse was hard since my plans were water damaged and my instruction book was not very precise. Used my TF plans for some reference. I just took my time and triple checked my calculations. I built a centerline jig on my table with alignment gages to make sure the fuse was always square to the LE, and used the incidence meter. First flight needed no trimming. Whew!
I am a model ship builder, so building the Royal kit was again a pleasure. You are right, it is a builders model and not for the beginner.

Best regards,
Scott
Old 05-07-2003, 05:18 PM
dionysusbacchus

One thing that is true about the Corsair is that it will bleed off speed quickly. Trying to extend the glide for whatever reason is a no no! Nose down land straight in front is the procedure! I have great luck with O.S. engines, they never quit, I'm not lying! I built my TF P-51 in 97, I have never made a dead stick landing. I stopped counting flights at 250.

Having to much elevator throw will put it in a snap also, my last Royal Corsair flew so nice, RIP! It was that last flight, someone wanted to see it fly. Problem was the battery called it a day! It stayed in a nice shallow turn for a long time, but the dive kept getting steeper... ouch!

Luke

A picture of the dead:

Name:	76583_21604.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	38736  
Old 05-07-2003, 09:55 PM
gwk

I'm trying to figure out how you duplicated the wing ribs, there not all on the plans. The next question is how did you determine the wash-out? I'm not criticizing, your work and thoughts, your a well though out builder, nice to see.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:45 AM
dionysusbacchus

Originally posted by gwk
I'm trying to figure out how you duplicated the wing ribs, there not all on the plans. The next question is how did you determine the wash-out? I'm not criticizing, your work and thoughts, your a well though out builder, nice to see.
Hi gwk,thank you. I want others thoughts, don't worry about criticism, I know your not anyway.

I am assuming that you are talking about the "simulated" ribs? If you are then I use lots of reference material, mainly "F4U Corsair in detail and scale". My project is not museum scale, it is that's cool scale! So that gives me lots of room for error, every panel line is not exact! My philosophy is that it must first work, then look cool. Anyway, I just blew the 3 view up and laid it on the wing! (see picture below)

This wing needs no washout, however I always like to bend the tips down a few degrees, but again it is not needed on the Corsair. Unfortunately as stated above I did not take pictures during the construction of the wing. I basically glue the wing to my 8' solid door that I use for a building board, I am quite proud of my wing, it's perfectly straight.

Question: are you building a Royal now?

Luke

Name:	76711_21604.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	38737  
Old 05-08-2003, 06:57 PM
scottrc

Great ideas on the wings!!!!!

Also right about the OS engines. My TF P-51 turns 13 this year and has been flown every year. The plane needs an annual where it will be stripped and rebuilt. But the engine is still running strong and has never quit on me.

Right about the elevator too, espescially when used with too much rudder at close to stall speed. This problem is inherent in the design, which is why the Corsair killed so many new pilots. They would overcorrect with too much rudder/elevator without throttle on landing or takeoff and then snap.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:56 PM
dionysusbacchus

Originally posted by scottrc
Great ideas on the wings!!!!!

Right about the elevator too, espescially when used with too much rudder at close to stall speed. This problem is inherent in the design, which is why the Corsair killed so many new pilots. They would overcorrect with too much rudder/elevator without throttle on landing or takeoff and then snap.
Hi scottrc,

Actually the full scale Corsair introduced the torque stall. At low speed if the throttle was pushed forward to fast the prop was so big it would actually cause the aircraft to spin. At that point with your model you should have both sticks forward and pray for the best!

I just wanted everyone to know that I am working on the plane. I have done lots of work, but it is not noticeable. It's at that agonizing stage right before finishing! The weight of scale detail also becomes apparent when you weigh the box of crud you unbolt off of it in preparation for finishing!

This shows the wing bolted to the fuse. This is one area I really hate on the TF Corsair.

Name:	80143_21604.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	38738  
Old 05-20-2003, 08:59 PM
dionysusbacchus

Got the engine mounted along with the cowl. Used flat head screws on the cowl.

Name:	80145_21604.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	38739  
Old 05-20-2003, 09:30 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Flap servo setup?

Luke,
Could you post a couple of pictures of how you did the single servo setup for the flaps? Your site only shows the top of the wing with the area over the bellcranks covered. Thanks, Pete

PS. Great Cowl
Old 05-20-2003, 10:32 PM
dionysusbacchus

Default Re: Flap servo setup?

Originally posted by Rocketman612
Luke,
Could you post a couple of pictures of how you did the single servo setup for the flaps? Your site only shows the top of the wing with the area over the bellcranks covered. Thanks, Pete

PS. Great Cowl
Hi Rocketman,

Ok! This plane started out as a sport plane, I wasn't even going to add flaps! Then I went to 2 servos, and finally I ended up with what I have. I do this a lot, so you can see where I was going to add access hatches. I don't like hatches so this was the final result. I would recommend cutting the hinges out of glass filled PC board or nylon. If my hinges fail I'll just cut them off and insert a fiberglass one, we'll see!

This is my early test servo setup, I'm using a heavy duty servo with a better mounting technique. Just had to see if it would work!

Name:	80184_21604.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	38740  
Old 05-20-2003, 10:35 PM
dionysusbacchus

It's really a simple set up. The only critical area is where the ball links attach to the first flap. It must be exact on both flaps.

Name:	80185_21604.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	38741  
Old 05-20-2003, 10:44 PM
dionysusbacchus

These are the patterns I used for the hinges. The only one I don't have right now (can't find it) is the pattern for the hinge that mounts closest to the fuselage. It's just a little different shape.

These are what I used but the ball link was not attached to a hinge bearing rib as is shown in these drawings.

Name:	80186_21604.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	38742  
Old 05-20-2003, 10:44 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Flap Setup

Luke,
Thanks thats what I needed. I wanted to see how you mounted the bellcrank. It ( the bellcrank) needs to be rock solid with no slop over time. Pete
Old 05-20-2003, 11:11 PM
dionysusbacchus

Default Re: Flap Setup

Originally posted by Rocketman612
Luke,
Thanks thats what I needed. I wanted to see how you mounted the bell crank. It ( the bell crank) needs to be rock solid with no slop over time. Pete
I've been in the hobby for many years, and I have noticed the move to servos on every surface in the last 10 years or so. I prefer bell cranks and I have never had a problem with one. I think this servo thing started with giant aerobatic aircraft? Full scale aircraft use bell cranks and they should be used in models too! I hate long servo wires, hatches and I really hate parts of servos sticking out of an aircraft! YUCK!! I guess my problem is nobody told me they don't work! I still have my Royal P-51 that I built with bell cranks in 1979, yes it hasn't flown in several years but the bell cranks still work!

Just my thoughts on the servo conspiracy!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.