Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Royal Corsair .60 project

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Royal Corsair .60 project

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 01:54 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Royal Corsair .60 project

Thank you very much Eric, I appreciate that! I build to fly! I never thought I would get the electric bug, but it sure has it's advantages and I really don't like loud airplanes. For me it takes away from the flight experience, also electric power puts less stress on the air frame, servo's and scale details. To each his own though!

Dropped the tanks today, looks pretty cool with them on and and the plane flies no differently, with the 120 power is not an issue! Wind came up after just two hours of flying, so no video yet.

Yes, I've asked the pilot not to smoke in the plane! lol!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58251.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1832858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40019.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1832859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20083.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1832860  
Old 07-18-2014, 04:36 PM
whodunit25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is dionysusbacchus still around? I would like to purchase some royal kit parts if they are available but seem to have difficulty contacting him.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:44 PM
whodunit25

is dionysusbacchus still around? I would like to purchase some royal kit parts if they are available but seem to have difficulty contacting him.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:57 AM
luzuriagadario

Originally Posted by whodunit25
Hello whodunit25, I´m looking for some help on understunding the main wheel well door system that dyonysus installed, do you have the same?? do you have some installation procedure to see haw to install the springs?? Thanks!!
Old 01-09-2015, 06:34 AM
dionysusbacchus

Originally Posted by luzuriagadario
Hello whodunit25, I´m looking for some help on understunding the main wheel well door system that dyonysus installed, do you have the same?? do you have some installation procedure to see haw to install the springs?? Thanks!!
Man, some projects never die! lol! I have to admit, I love this plane and it is still flying, so I guess that says it all.

The doors just use the leverage of the lever principle and I'm actually surprised at how well it works and keeps working. I went through a lot of work to balance the doors so that when they are open the springs keep them open and when the wheel pushes the lever past the halfway point the springs will keep the doors closed. You do not have to go through all that trouble, just spring load the doors in the open position, the lever has plenty of force to close the doors. Even when the retracts have 20lbs of pressure they can close the doors. The trick to the entire setup is the lever, the longer the lever arm the greater the force it has.

So, that means you attach the clevis that closes the door as close to the lever pivot point as possible, making sure you have enough movement to close the door of course and you make the lever as long as possible. Keep that in mind and your doors will work great.

Since I am here I will post some pictures and a short video I made this morning and uploaded to Youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=906Lh_Ey1r4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTyzDDl72h0
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	006-2_zpsc629e2c8.jpg
Views:	983
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	2062442   Click image for larger version

Name:	003-1_zps3f7c0d95.jpg
Views:	985
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	2062443   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_028.jpg
Views:	947
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	2062444   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0281_zps1bb25b7c.jpg
Views:	931
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	2062445   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0248.JPG
Views:	1131
Size:	490.4 KB
ID:	2062447   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001451.JPG
Views:	1031
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	2062448   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001447.JPG
Views:	989
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	2062449  
Old 01-09-2015, 10:44 AM
luzuriagadario

Hello !! thanks for your rapid response! Actually I didn´t even start to build but as you said before it´s better to think ahead and do some planning in order to install all of the systems we want on our models.
I picked up the plans for the Royal COrsair in outerzone web site as well as the Sterling Corsair, I´m gonna build the Sterling in depron but with 1260 mm wingspan and do some changes as the build progress, but for sure I´m installing retracts, electrics but I think that still is gonna be nice and will add the door close system. I hope that the legs of the electric retract can push the springs, that´s the tricky part as you said, my main concern was where to put the springs!! When I get home I´m gonna watch the vids and see if I get it straight.
Thanks again for your pictures and by the time I finish the bird I will show you, of course not as detailed as yours man, your are so beyond my skills!!
Cheers from Argentina!
Old 01-09-2015, 02:04 PM
dionysusbacchus

You're welcome! And thanks for the compliments. Keep in mind that not much spring tension is needed on the doors to keep them open, I can blow on mine from the side and get them to close practically. They will stay open in flight probably without any springs at all, I had a spring pop off and it did not cause a problem.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:13 AM
luzuriagadario

Those pictures clarify everything! thanks! I love the Corsiar, I wish my country would have restored ours and keep them in good shape for future generations. I admire you for keeping your history alive.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:31 PM
pitsspecial

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Has anyone ever built and flown the 1/5 scale one? I've got a bare airframe and looking to complete and fly it, but would like some info on it.

dave.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:22 PM
dionysusbacchus

Dave,

I do not like the Royal/Marutaka 1/5 Corsair at all, I need my planes to have more of a scale look. I don't see the point in a giant complex stand WAY off scale plane, sorry but that design just looks horrible to me.

I understand that this may not matter to you and if that is the case then go for it, maybe someone here has some experience, sorry I can't help.

Luke
Old 05-23-2015, 10:05 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DB,

I've got some bad news and some good news. Bad news is that this so-called Corsair of yours is some of the lamest, most slip-shod modeling I've ever seen. 100% Amateur Hour.

The good news is that I, out of nothing more than a charitable heart, will take it off your hands and rid you of this shame. In fact, I'd even drive all the way to McQueeny to help you out in this way. Just say when.

[FANTASTIC modeling, Sir.]
Old 08-31-2016, 01:35 PM
MrShoes
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To anyone interested. Royal/Marutaka F4U-ID Corsair .60 - .80 NIB on RCU Classifieds.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/ite...itemID=1083272
Old 08-31-2016, 05:19 PM
foxx
My Feedback: (2)

The last time I heard from dionysusbacchus was when he told everybody where they can go and dropped out of the forum. He is very gifted builder and flyer, Some forum members jealous of his building abilities attacked him, he did not take it too well deleted his threads and dropped out. It was a great loss because I learned a lot from him.

Last edited by foxx; 08-31-2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:22 AM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dionysusbacchus
Thank you very much Eric, I appreciate that! I build to fly! I never thought I would get the electric bug, but it sure has it's advantages and I really don't like loud airplanes. For me it takes away from the flight experience, also electric power puts less stress on the air frame, servo's and scale details. To each his own though!

Dropped the tanks today, looks pretty cool with them on and and the plane flies no differently, with the 120 power is not an issue! Wind came up after just two hours of flying, so no video yet.

Yes, I've asked the pilot not to smoke in the plane! lol!
luke come join royal kits facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/170232020405624/
Old 07-19-2020, 09:55 AM
robbtennis

Default A little help would go a long way

Hi Luke, I know it's old but I've followed this thread for years now. It was actually a factor in my decision to build a 60 size Corsair. Although I didn't build the exact same kit I have a decent looking (IMO) Corsair project nearing completion. I've added some bells and whistles inc nav lights and flashing guns plus some other changes. But the retractable tail wheel has been a big issue from the start. I even created a removable tail hatch so I could make mods if necessary later. I would be happy to pay for a lesson or schematics of your incredible tail assembly. It is truly a work of art. If you can assist at this late stage in the process I'd truly appreciate any help.

Robb

Originally Posted by dionysusbacchus
Got the Tail Wheel done and I have updated my site. I'll get the fuselage framed up next.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:48 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by robbtennis
Hi Luke, I know it's old but I've followed this thread for years now. It was actually a factor in my decision to build a 60 size Corsair. Although I didn't build the exact same kit I have a decent looking (IMO) Corsair project nearing completion. I've added some bells and whistles inc nav lights and flashing guns plus some other changes. But the retractable tail wheel has been a big issue from the start. I even created a removable tail hatch so I could make mods if necessary later. I would be happy to pay for a lesson or schematics of your incredible tail assembly. It is truly a work of art. If you can assist at this late stage in the process I'd truly appreciate any help.

I'm not sure if Luke hangs around RCU any longer. If you do not get a reply from him I can provide information and drawings for the tail wheel unit.

Chad Veich
[email protected]