Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

new LaGG-3 Kit!

Old 08-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new LaGG-3 Kit!

I just got an email from Red Star RC (the Russian guys who make the Yak-3 kit)...

http://www.redstarrc.com/Lagg-3.html

Hi guys!,

We officially released the kit and are ready to take orders.

Our thanks to everyone who was following our progress and supported us through this long journey. Stay tuned for the new project.

Best regards,
Mike & George
Red Star RC
Old 08-30-2007, 01:25 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: new LaGG-3 Kit!

I got the email too. I am still working n my Yak and hope to have it finished soon.

I really like this plane and am interested in the kit. Its a little pricey or it would probably be at the top of my wish list.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:24 PM
Evil_Merlin

Hate to say it... better get it now. Word has it balsa is about to go up in price by HUGE amounts in the next few days/weeks.

THe Chinese are hoarding the stuff currently.

A few contacts I have are saying 25-30% increases in raw balsa costs.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:48 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice looking kit and plane but kinda pricey for a .60 size warbird.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:43 PM
mcarleno

Definitely not a .60 size warbird. Might be able to sneak by with a 90 FS, but I think its really a .90-1.20 2S type of plane. Don't let the 66" span fool you on its size, these Russian birds like the Yak-3 and the LaGG/LA series had short wingspans and huge wing cords.

And it is very, very scale with the exception of the airfoil (Russian foils based on modified Clark-Ys don't make the best foils for models).

I got lucky and got one of the first one prior to all the finish patterns and finalized instructions. Everything is lasered, 26 sheets, everything interlocks beautifully. Mike and George have produced a kit here that is engineered as well as the Sky Shark line. The only other kits of warbirds out there that are cheap are the "Stand-Off" scale Top-flite and most of them still use the crush-cut method.

Personally one of the best kits I've built (IPM kits run about $450-550, Jack Devine Kits $330+, Zirolli -- better take out a mortgage).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45740.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	753594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93757.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	753595  
Old 08-31-2007, 06:23 AM
Tony Gag Jr.

I don't doubt that they make great kits. My point is, $310 for the full wood kit with no hardware is pricey for a plane with a 66" wingspan.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:02 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it builds out to the advertised weight, I'd bet the farm my OS91s would pull it good. Kitbuilt Skybolts were usually 9-10lbs and OS61s pulled them like gangbusters.

I'd like to see that pretty in a planform picture. Or a picture that shows more wing.
And are those retracts? Bet she looks gorgeous with the gear up, doing a slow roll.
Nice spinner matchup.
Excellent looking paint. Flat looks good and the camo gives it a look too. And the white numbers and red stars add just enough kick.

And what do you guys offer for a pilot figure? Ain't no Joe Stalin dolls around.

BTW, one of the best looking fighters of WWII was that baby when she got her radial front. Got plans for that?
Old 08-31-2007, 08:07 AM
jamie_duff

I'm personally not bothered that there's no hardware. Most semi-serious scale builders have their own favourites anyway.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that $310 with or without hardware doesn't put me up nor down as I seldom use kit hardware anyway... Looks great though - I'm off to find out more
Old 08-31-2007, 09:18 AM
Evil_Merlin

Old 08-31-2007, 10:11 AM
Gringo Flyer

looks great. I bet its the only one at the field.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:41 AM
mcarleno

ORIGINAL: da Rock

If it builds out to the advertised weight, I'd bet the farm my OS91s would pull it good. Kitbuilt Skybolts were usually 9-10lbs and OS61s pulled them like gangbusters.

I'd like to see that pretty in a planform picture. Or a picture that shows more wing.
And are those retracts? Bet she looks gorgeous with the gear up, doing a slow roll.
Nice spinner matchup.
Excellent looking paint. Flat looks good and the camo gives it a look too. And the white numbers and red stars add just enough kick.

And what do you guys offer for a pilot figure? Ain't no Joe Stalin dolls around.

BTW, one of the best looking fighters of WWII was that baby when she got her radial front. Got plans for that?
This is mine before I filled the low spots. You can see her wing pretty good here.

Oh, the plan calls for mechanical retracts, I went with Robart Air-up/Spring Down. Also has plans and cuts for a Robert retractable tail wheel (the $20 one).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47887.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	753819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39290.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	753820  
Old 08-31-2007, 10:48 AM
mcarleno

ORIGINAL: da Rock

The plan and build allow you to build nearly any Series from 1-66. The tail is designed to be modified to match either style of rudder and the air scoop can easily be modified.

The scale exhaust stacks are only supplied for the "single" pipe series. But the Kit also comes with a Laser instrument panel kit that is very good and a very good color print out of the instruments.

I know that Mike has been working on the La-5 prototype fuselage as they share the same wing and tail surfaces.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:42 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's pretty cool! Looks like a Russian version of the P-40. But where are you guys getting the $310? Looks like $264.99 plus $19.99 shipping to me. Not too bad for something so different!
Old 09-01-2007, 04:43 PM
Tony Gag Jr.

$264.99 is for the short wood kit. $310 is the full wood kit.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I've done a bit of kitting in my day and I can tell you that a small, two guy operation, offering a CAD drawn and laser cut kit with fiberglass accessories is not going to get rich selling them for $319 a piece. Top Flite has spoiled us with relatively inexpensive, decent quality kits. There is not a small manufacturer in this country that can make a .60-.90 size kit for $150 and possibly hope to break even much less make a profit. Top Flite does it on volume and, I would bet, even they don't make much profit on there warbird kits. Just my .02 cents. I commend Redstar on their choice of subject and hope they sell enough to make it worth their time.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Tony Gag Jr.

Chad,
I agree with you 100%. I guess my posts were taken the wrong way. I was not saying to not buy the kit, just saying it is pricey. You are right that Top Flite has spoiled us. It looks like the kits are really nice and I like the subject. I am still debating if I will buy one or not.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:21 AM
Gringo Flyer

ORIGINAL: Tony Gag Jr.

Chad,
I agree with you 100%. I guess my posts were taken the wrong way. I was not saying to not buy the kit, just saying it is pricey. You are right that Top Flite has spoiled us. It looks like the kits are really nice and I like the subject. I am still debating if I will buy one or not.
That was not the intent of my comment either. I bought their 40 sized yak 3 and it was a little more expensive the the 90 sized TF kits. It is a good kit and I hope to have mine flying soon.