Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

What full scale warbird did you get a chance to fly in?

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

What full scale warbird did you get a chance to fly in?

Old 09-09-2007, 06:29 PM
geardaddy
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What full scale warbird did you get a chance to fly in?

Stearman, B-25, AT-6, L-29 jet, Another B-25, Yak-52 personally owned and piloted.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:22 PM
strtnlevel
My Feedback: (84)

L-19, L-20, H-13, B-17 and some "dual" in a T-28, (the biggest thrill by far) A very nimble aircraft despite it's bulky look. I now own a share of an L-16A (Aeronca 7ac) in Air Force colors.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:10 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guess we just list our 1 -- 1 scale experiences:

About 9 yrs. old or so, first ride was in a BT-13. After that was several commercial rides, and at 19, first taste of working flying was as Aviation Cadet -- Navigator, Convair T-29. Turned around and instructed same, then to Bombardier School in T-29, then to 3 years as a Nav-Bom. in Boeing B-47. Got rides in DC-3s and C-45s. The B-47 was and is the most beautiful airplane ever to take to the skies. [sm=shades_smile.gif] Got some stick time in J-3, Aronica Champ, and Cessna 172.

Then came Pilot Training in T-37 and T-33. Instructed in T-33 and T-38. Flew C-123 for a couple years. That big ugly was the most flying fun ever. During that time I had my only tin-bender, in a darn Cherokee 140! [:@] No more of that stuff!

Got to sit in the cockpit of a U-2 during an interview for an assignment there. Already had airline job secured and that physical for the U-2 was a tough one. A fair number of guys were grounded for a year or more even though they had no problems with normal physical. Really wanted to do it but just too much of a chance to take. So on to 28 years flying B-737, B-727, Douglas DC-8 and DC 10. Been retired for 12 years come this next Jan. 31.

Got a ride in a P-51, Moonbeam McSwine with owner Vlado Lenoch at the Wings over Dekalb Airshow in 1993. Fun!
Also got an ATP type rating in a Lear 23.

I don't miss anything but the paychecks.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:03 AM
Klaatu
My Feedback: (4)

Hossfly Cain, I salute you, sir. And I thank you. I hear you about the B-47; beautiful bird it was.