Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

VQ Mustang +Tailwheel Retract

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

VQ Mustang +Tailwheel Retract

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 07:00 PM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VQ Mustang +Tailwheel Retract

I bought one of the P-51D Stangs that VQ Warbirds has on sale. I must say, I am really pretty impressed with the looks. It has some kind of sticky vinyl covering, like one big sticker, which would be hard to repair, but looks very nice out of the box. It comes with all kind of molded plastic parts (radiator scoop, wing fairings, cockpit) and a nice fiberglass Cowl, though theyre a different color silver than the covering. All in all, Id say if you could pull off a very light glass/paint covering on this plane, itd look phenomenal!
Anyway, to my question... Im putting the tail together, and it looks so nice with the ribbed rudder and elevators, and no tailwheel right under the rudder yet... that I want it to stay that way. Id love to have a retractible tailwheel in the scale location. Is that just too much weight in the tail for a .46 size warbird? (gonna have a Saito .82 up front)
Are there any good tailwheel retracts apart from Robart? Their 3-5 Lb one looks OK, but not sure the wire would be long enough, and the 5-10 Lb one looks like it would be too tall to fit underneath the pushrods...
Old 09-11-2007, 09:51 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: VQ Mustang +Tailwheel Retract

The covering that I despised at one time on my P40 , I learned to love when you realize how much strength it adds to the plane for pilot error .
You can also buy more for the entire plane for under $30 bucks .

The retract that is probably best suited is robart because of the light weight and design , you can also look on CJs site or emial Bruce at CJ