Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 09:50 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

I have used this technique in the pass and it does work. However let's see what it does today with the offset thrust angle. The problem may go away or still be present. Thanks for your inputs. This is my first and hopefully not my last warbird.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Duplicator41
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are headed down the correct path. 1 1/2 degrees of right thrust offset with appropriate use of rudder should cure the issue. A tiny amount of toe in also helps. Too much toe in and the plane will veer to the right. I'm sure you've
noticed that with a few tail draggers on take off the right wheel tends to lift off the runway first first. It also does make a difference if you're flying of grass or a paved runway.

Cheers.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:30 PM
aslan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry lads, was gonna let it go..... but it is very important to note, that amount of right thrust should be judged on flight characteristics, and most definitely not ground handling....... sorry again. Ground looping, generally speaking, is caused by too much power, too quickly, and either not feeding enough rudder in or backing off the power quickly enough. short fuses e.g. DH Beaver, are notorious for having the capability to ground loop if you let it do so. As the power is increased more rudder is fed gradually in to track straight. I think you should fly it first, gear up, before you start adding right thrust...... just my opinion(without malice,of course)

Joe.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:54 PM
flycatch

I'm not going to argue the point about thrust lines but from experience it has solved a few issues. I retested the FW today and the offset did not solve the problem. What I did do was keep the tail down using up elevator and as speed increased reducing the elevator. The tail came up and I had rudder authority. It does not make a difference now because the plane is no more. I my third pass down the field it suffered total electircal failure and impacted hard. I believe I had a faulty on/off switch aggrevated by the high vibration levels inherent in fiberglass fuselages. I need to start saving for another maybe the ESM 109E.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:32 PM
SimonV6

ORIGINAL: flycatch

I'm not going to argue the point about thrust lines but from experience it has solved a few issues. I retested the FW today and the offset did not solve the problem. What I did do was keep the tail down using up elevator and as speed increased reducing the elevator. The tail came up and I had rudder authority. It does not make a difference now because the plane is no more. I my third pass down the field it suffered total electircal failure and impacted hard. I believe I had a faulty on/off switch aggrevated by the high vibration levels inherent in fiberglass fuselages. I need to start saving for another maybe the ESM 109E.
So sorry to hear about the end of your fw190
I put a dual regulator on mine that if the swtich gets unplugged or fauilty the switch defaults the regulator to 'ON', preventing switch failure from disrupting power to your receiver....never can be too carefull
I also use two rx batteries in case one fails.....

I hope you have better luck with your new plane

Simon
Old 10-10-2010, 06:10 PM
aslan

Sorry to hear about the 190 flycatch. There was no argument regarding thrust lines. I was merely pointing out that it should not be based on if a model tracks straight on the ground or not, and should only be adjusted to the models flying characteristics. "I used the standard technique of holding the tail down and using rudder to overcome the torque and as speed buit up allowing the tail to rise than tracking with rudder. Using this technique I managed on the forth attempt to become airborne. I'm not new to trail draggers but this plane is a handful on takeoff. I attribute this problem not to pilot error but allowing myself not to put in right thrust when I mounted the engine." and then this " What I did do was keep the tail down using up elevator and as speed increased reducing the elevator. The tail came up and I had rudder authority." has me a little confused. I would be careful if you are considering the 109 flycatch. If you thought the 190 was a handful the 109 is gonna kill ye. They are notoriously hard to track on both take-off and landing because of their u/c arrangement. On the full scale, more luftwaffe pilots were killed during take-off and landing than were shot down. I would give it a couple of days to get over the loss....... I know how it feels,believe me...... and go for another 190 maybe, if it's a German fighter you want. Again sorry for your loss and good luck with your next choice.

Joe.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:25 PM
tshero

Flycatch,
Sorry to hear about your loss. Enjoyed reading your progress through your build. Mine is finally ready for some motor testing tomorrow morning.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Redback

Me too with the condolences!

As I reported a few pages ago I totalled mine for reasons that are still not clear[:@] Got a new one ready to start assembling though.

Terry
Old 10-10-2010, 09:42 PM
kahloq

Flycatch..that sux about the total power loss. Some switches can fail. Dont let it get you down tho.

Ive got a lot of ESM planes(all fiberglass fuses of course) and dont have any vibration issues regarding electrical anything. What voltage rx pack were you using Flycatch? Were you using a 2.4ghz radio? If so...and you only used a 4.8 volt rx pack.....if the voltage sags below 4.0 UNDERLOAD in the air.....you have a high risk of a brown out which will reset the rx and you lose control for up to 3 secs in some cases. It will happen with JR, Spektrum and even Futaba versions. Use 6v rx packs if you weren't, especially if using a 2.4 radio of any brand.
Some will try to tell you so and so brand is not subject to brown outs for a low voltage rx pack, but they are wrong. it can happen to every brand out there. ive had it happen to me on a JR radio and a few friends running Futaba's have also experienced it.

Aslan is correct in the fact that the ME-109 is going to be a little harder to manage on the ground then the 190. You HAVE to use toe-in on an ME-109 or it will ground loop every time.

Id definitely tell you to get another 190 before an me-109 for more warbird flight time. ME-109's look great in the air, but they can be hard to take off and land sometimes. Ive got two ESM Me-109's...one glow with saito 180 and one electric(the closest one on the left).

Another idea is the ESM Stuka. You can use the same motor that was in the ESM 190 even tho the stuka is bigger. It doesnt have retracts either so less to worry about. BTW, the gear you used in the 190 will NOT work in the 109.
If you do the stuka.....do NOT follow the CG listing in the manual. Place it at 120-125mm. But no further back and dont use the manuals location for the fuel tank unless you use a fuel pump. Put the tank right behind the firewall.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58578.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	1514349  
Old 10-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Johnny_Zero
My Feedback: (44)

Nice Fleet!
Old 10-10-2010, 10:05 PM
flycatch

I'm on 72mhz PCM S. The receiver was a JR PCM dual conversion 10ch S model. I have flown this receiver in six different models including one helicopter. The transmitter is a JR 9303 transmitting on ch #50. Five years ago I experienced this same problem during climbout on a YAK 29. The plane gently veered to the left and impacted the ground from an altitude of about fifty feet. This time I was about 100 ft high and going downwind. It made a decending left turn at full throttle. In both cases there was no control of the airframe. I believe this was a total power loss. I run all my airborne electonics on 6V. This was a brand new 2300mah 5 cell pack from JR. On the bench everything worked after the crash. The battery under load read 5.8 Volts. I still think the switch malfunctioned. I have flown the CMP ME109F and it did not behave badly on takeoff. They designed the horizontal empanage with built in negative incidence. This aids in getting the tail group up quickly on takeoff. I had three flights on this airframe before I stalled it on landing and rolled it up into a trash ball. This was pilot error and inexperience flying a heavy airframe. I'm not giving up. I trashed three helicopter before I learned to fly these beast.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:46 PM
kahloq

The CMP ME-109 is a great looking plane and flies well, but the undercarriage is much further spread apart then scale. You can see mine in the pic above with the spiral spinner.
The ESM ME-109's gear is much closer together like the real plane, so its trickier to get off the ground.
That being said.....Im sure your a good pilot and could handle the ESM ME-109 just fine. So if thats what you want...go for it.

yes..switches can sometimes fail
Old 10-10-2010, 10:57 PM
flycatch

Thanks for the reply. I taught myself to fly fixed and rotary wing models and now I want to go to another level in fixed wing scale aircraft. Do you know anyone selling a FW190 RTF? I got the cash but limited time to build another ARF.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:14 AM
kahloq

Nothing anything close to this size. The only RTF fw-190 I know of is the parkzone and thats foam.
You could put together a Kyosho Fw-190 in less then a couple days time relative to the ESM. But, its also only a .40 size plane at 57" wingspan.
Kyosho does have an 80" TA-152 which is the FW-190 dora9 with extremely large wingspan. That one also would be quicker to put together, but, still not as good looking as an ESM plane.
However, it would be an exceptionally good flier and very stable on the ground. It looks decent. Add some scale touches and be a real nice looker.
http://www.shopkyosho.com/products/p....25407.0.0.0.0
Old 10-11-2010, 03:33 AM
mobyal

ORIGINAL: flycatch

Thanks for the reply. I taught myself to fly fixed and rotary wing models and now I want to go to another level in fixed wing scale aircraft. Do you know anyone selling a FW190 RTF? I got the cash but limited time to build another ARF.
Hmmmmm
PM e if you're interested and let's talk.
Al
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86387.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1514466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77313.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1514467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49095.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1514468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67634.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1514469  
Old 10-11-2010, 05:10 AM
STICK MODE

Anyone know the outside dimensions of the box that the Satio 170R comes in im trying to work out postage thanks. Nice hanger 9 Pawnee there in the back ground Mobyal mines had over 300 flights and going strong
Old 10-11-2010, 05:20 AM
mobyal

Tx re the Pawnee. Don't know how many flights on mine, but it's a bunch. Stil one of my favorires....
Old 10-11-2010, 06:05 AM
STICK MODE

SNAP i fly mine like i stole it yeh one of my pets too
Old 10-11-2010, 09:24 AM
aslan

NO AL...........NOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo!!
Old 10-11-2010, 03:24 PM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: STICK MODE

Anyone know the outside dimensions of the box that the Satio 170R comes in im trying to work out postage thanks.
8 inches cubed, 3lbs 7oz

coast to coast domestic USPS rates are: 2Day priority mail-$15.50, 2 Day large flat rate box-$14.50, 3-7 Day parcel post-$11.50. These rates are from Miami, FL to Anchorage, Alaska: The rates and time for priority mailor flat rate are the same regardles, but parcel post rates go down to @ $6.00 between neighboring towns. If you want it to get there fast and not fool around with looking for boxes then the flat rate option is by far the best bang for the buck. ( If you could get 70lbs in the box the price stays the same too, gotta like that)
Old 10-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Red Falcon
My Feedback: (3)

Sorry to hear about the loss Flycatch! I can imagine how frustrating it was after all the work of putting it together and not really being able to enjoy the plane. I also have had great difficulties with the hard pulling to the left on takeoffs. I have already ripped out my landing gear three times and tearing the fuse nearly in half! I was almost ready to throw it away and call it a loss! I was determined not to let this model beat me though! I have tried adding right thrust and toe in. The thing that helped me, was more flight time and beginning to know my plane and its habits. I now know when to give it right rudder to keep it straight down the runway. If there is a slight crosswind from the left I know it is going to be worse and be prepared.

The 190 is a fun plane once airborne and looks great. The ground handling can be overcome! Don't give up!

I am attaching a video link of me flying this last Sunday. The video is ok and I was considering firing my videographer! There is a thing on the camera called a zoom which I dont think he knows about! I'll try again next weekend! WITH A NEW CAMERA MAN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCaYB2TZbRc
Old 10-11-2010, 03:49 PM
STICK MODE

Thanks for that its coming down here to new zealand 50 US flat rate cheers now i can send the wife overseas for under 50US just hop in the box dear dont worry about the dark lol
Old 10-11-2010, 03:57 PM
SimonV6

If you can hang on for a little bit more time the Saito 200R3 will be here, more power, same weight and should fit into the cowl of the fw190, I'm told
Old 10-11-2010, 04:02 PM
STICK MODE

Just my bloody luck i just paid the guy (now) but i did get onboard glow driver and exuaust with it so not crying yet bet saito drop there price now would be my luck lol [:@]
Old 10-11-2010, 06:37 PM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Sorry about the extraneous, useless info on the postal rates there, Stick. I didn't even look to see that you were in NZ

I think you'll be fine with the 170R3...It's about equiv to a 150 4c or a 120 2c and this plane has done very well on an RCV91.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.