Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 08:18 PM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

We've just finished ours up after picking it up from a friend after he installed a Saito radio 170. Flight of his was marginal so I swooped down for the kill and bought it from him. He's a fantastic builder and a Top Gun judge so the pics don't do it justice. We flew it the first couple of times with a Xoar 3 blade and Hacker A60 14L and the performance was fair. Switched to a 20x15 2 blade APC and it really woke up. Also, lots of right thrust, toe in, and a bunch of little things. Placed a video on Youtube but the wind was howling so keep the volume down so it doesn't hurt your ears! My son, who flew it, says it flies better than our Blue Nose. 10S TP 5000 batteries, Sierra retracts and JR radio rounds it out. Enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54Kg1fu_nfE
Old 08-21-2011, 04:35 AM
STICK MODE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice flight if a bit fast lol mine runs a saito 170r 80 flights on her so far never missed a beat
Old 08-21-2011, 05:40 AM
SimonV6

ORIGINAL: patrnflyr

We've just finished ours up after picking it up from a friend after he installed a Saito radio 170. Flight of his was marginal so I swooped down for the kill and bought it from him. He's a fantastic builder and a Top Gun judge so the pics don't do it justice. We flew it the first couple of times with a Xoar 3 blade and Hacker A60 14L and the performance was fair. Switched to a 20x15 2 blade APC and it really woke up. Also, lots of right thrust, toe in, and a bunch of little things. Placed a video on Youtube but the wind was howling so keep the volume down so it doesn't hurt your ears! My son, who flew it, says it flies better than our Blue Nose. 10S TP 5000 batteries, Sierra retracts and JR radio rounds it out. Enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54Kg1fu_nfE
Nice just needs a "real engine sound" speaker system on it now
Old 08-21-2011, 05:40 AM
patrnflyr

It was fast but, you've got to remember we had winds gusting to 27mph so those downwind passes were "helped" Living here in Lubbock, TX, we are at 3500 ft altitude on the ground. Add in 100 degrees and we sometimes see density altitudes of 10,000ft! I think that was the reason for the anemic performance of the Saito radial. We are still experimenting with prop size. We'll eventually find the correct size. We'd like to use a scale 3 blade but so far, all the hubs are too thick for the Hacker's shaft length when you add the spinner. We'll eventually latch on to the best combo.

John
Old 08-21-2011, 05:57 AM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try Xoar props, Im using one on my electric ESM 109. They are much thinner at thr hub and may work for you too.

Casey
Old 08-21-2011, 07:51 AM
patrnflyr

We originally flew it with a Xoar 19x10 but wasn't enough. Damaged it on landing when the gear collapsed due to a locking issue. I'll look at some of the larger sizes and see if we can find one.

Thanks for the info!

John
Old 08-21-2011, 08:04 AM
SimonV6

I fly mine on either a 20x8 (7200rpm) or an 18x10 (7500rpm), both fly fast and well enough with plenty of torque for vertical......what rpm do you get on your props?
Old 09-01-2011, 08:49 AM
SimonV6

Well I am once again grounded
starting to think electric with a good sound system is the way to go for my next warbird lol?
One new OS200 Conrod on order

Simon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92330.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1656130  
Old 09-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Duplicator41

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch! Any conclusions as to the break?

Cheers.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:54 AM
STICK MODE

Simon mate of mine has just had his OS 200 up in a test plane to my mind it sounded like it was detonating in the crank pulled like a snail we tried 4 diffrent props he ran a gallon through it on the ground so was well run in i had a new OS 70 pumped once was a total dog i note OS pulled them off the market soon after personaly ive gone away from OS as there over priced and you noticed there making new motors in diffrent sizes every two days its a marketing ploy. Also had there 55AX which was a pig caused me to rip what hair i had out ran sweet on the ground then just leaned out in the air when ever it felt like it im sure there newer motors are over square bore x stroke are the same whereabouts there early ones where longer stroke and ran better feel sorry for you mate have you considered a ASP 180 don,t laugh i have beaten the SH&T out one i have here i just cant kill it best thing is being in a covered cowl when i start it with the one board glow i say to others around yeh nothing starts like a OS eh and they agree lol then walk of smugly smirking going the electric way has it ups and downs like you ive seen my share of fried speed controllers and lipos still a bummer that with your OS is it still under warrenty on a more pleasant note i just test flew that 190 with the Saito 170r one click left and 2 up and she was sweet and the sound on a low banked pass was unreal
Old 09-01-2011, 12:56 PM
SimonV6

ORIGINAL: Duplicator41

Ouch! Any conclusions as to the break?

Cheers.
We;; Been trying to get the engine running better in this humid (very unlike UK) weather, and reckon she was maybe to lean? not sure but when testing the engine, while holding the plane vertical it backfired at full throttle and shot the prop very high into the sky think that may have stressed the conrod to much, and then while flying did the same again and snapped it? its does seem a very hard engine to set up.....and it likes cool weather better for sure.
I'm not really an engine guru though, so not fully sure why its so hard to set up?
anyway will keep the rebuilt engine a damn site richer
Old 09-01-2011, 12:58 PM
SimonV6

ORIGINAL: STICK MODE

Simon mate of mine has just had his OS 200 up in a test plane to my mind it sounded like it was detonating in the crank pulled like a snail we tried 4 diffrent props he ran a gallon through it on the ground so was well run in i had a new OS 70 pumped once was a total dog i note OS pulled them off the market soon after personaly ive gone away from OS as there over priced and you noticed there making new motors in diffrent sizes every two days its a marketing ploy. Also had there 55AX which was a pig caused me to rip what hair i had out ran sweet on the ground then just leaned out in the air when ever it felt like it im sure there newer motors are over square bore x stroke are the same whereabouts there early ones where longer stroke and ran better feel sorry for you mate have you considered a ASP 180 don,t laugh i have beaten the SH&T out one i have here i just cant kill it best thing is being in a covered cowl when i start it with the one board glow i say to others around yeh nothing starts like a OS eh and they agree lol then walk of smugly smirking going the electric way has it ups and downs like you ive seen my share of fried speed controllers and lipos still a bummer that with your OS is it still under warrenty on a more pleasant note i just test flew that 190 with the Saito 170r one click left and 2 up and she was sweet and the sound on a low banked pass was unreal
Well I know the ASP 180 is good engine, a mate has one in his P-40, never missed beat.....wish I'd gone that route now
when the OS200 is running well (cooler weather) it pulls well, turns a 18x8 at 8500 20x8 at 7300 rpm and will go vertical on that.....but she sure don't like hot humid weather , luck we don't get much here lol
Old 09-01-2011, 01:18 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Simon I love the OS 4strokes and have 8 of em none as large as the 200, mine are 91-120's but one thing I do is,I run them up on the high end to peak RPM and then richen them up so they run about 300 RPM off peak, this helps when the plane is flying and the prop unloads so the engine doesn't lean up too much.
one of the 4stroke guys at my club told me to do this, and my engines run like a sewing machine,I fly near the coast in the bay area which helps but even on hot days the engines don't heat up too much.

I also don't go crazy with leaning out the low end either as long as the engine idles slow enough to land its fine
Old 09-01-2011, 01:59 PM
STICK MODE

What you have described in regards it throwing the prop is exactly what my mate is having it’s also a pig to start ive got a number of OS motors and that 70 I was telling you about was a nightmare it to back fired at full revs detonated in the crank I tried every thing I knew and this 200 my mate has is doing the same thing might be time for that asp rich pr lean its a nightmare to keep at a steady rev in between throwing the prop
Old 09-01-2011, 02:01 PM
STICK MODE

Agree with you there i take them to full noise and when they thin out i back them off a 1/4 turn dropping the rpm say about 300
Old 09-01-2011, 02:41 PM
SimonV6

OK guys well I will for sure run it rich after the new con rod is installed, I must admit to trying to get maximum revs out of it, so it was maybe a bit lean will rev to 7300 and then richen to 7000 then, and hope that will cure it?

thanks

Simon
Old 09-01-2011, 04:54 PM
STICK MODE

Simon on the same note even cheaper and I have 2 off them one in the esm Stuka which fly’s like a demented mad thing has never had a dead stick starts on first flick when choked will start with normal 12volt starter and ive had about 200 flights on the stuka and will swing easy a 17x8 or a 16x10 three bladed prop

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ine_3_0HP.html

I cant recommend the motor enough ticks over at 1400 rpm and no dead spots on a normal tank I do 15 min flights have pushed it to 20 and running gas you can slow right down and just open it up without the bogging with glow fantastic motor starts every time one flick with finger and she’s away I was so impressed I bought another for weight up front I run 2 tower hobby batteries hard agenst the back of the fire wall both with a bit of silicone to hold them in place 4300 ma each there heavy but you need that and your not carrying dead weight one runs the ignition the other my receivers all day flying mate and no worry’s believe me it puts out its rated 3hp you sell that OS you could buy 3 and still buy me a beer lol
Old 09-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Duplicator41

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simon:

Wiser men than I highly recommend using a tachometer to set a four stroke. Unlike a two stroke which can be relatively easy to set by ear, with a four stroke it is very difficult to do.

Cheers,
Old 09-02-2011, 05:32 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I hope you aren't paying for the new connecting rod? Looks like a warranty item to me. Your rod looks to be brand new.
In all my 45 years of RC I've never broken a rod..
Old 09-02-2011, 08:35 AM
SimonV6

well its over 2 years old...so maybe out of warranty?
Old 09-08-2011, 03:32 PM
DougB1
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: SimonV6

Loving this uk summer weather in April most unusual, but most welcome
managed to get flying for 3 days in row......[X(]

Simon

I just got a ESM FW190 just like the one in your picture form a guy that kept changing the ballance point and got fed up with it so now I have it. It is the first generation so my question is to you is WHERE did you find the BEST ballance point. The book says one thing and this guy said it is not correct. HOPE YOU CAN HELP.
Thanks
Old 09-08-2011, 03:59 PM
DougB1
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Redback

After much deliberation finally got mine balanced at the recommended 130mm back position (wheels up). This took 800gms of lead (about 1.5lbs) plus a large battery mounted in the cowl on a very substantial steel bracket (which also carries the ballast.

Yet to check the final weight but based on a previous check expect it to be about 8Kgm. Considered moving the servos foward when assembling but given that these are close to the CG anyway didn't think it would make much difference.

The supplied retracts were very sluggish in operation until I replaced the suppied coupler with a Robart one. The one with the kit has an O ring in it which seems to constrict the airflow when the connector is tightened. Once I changed it out the retracts are now very positive.

Just need the rain to stop now!

Terry
After reading everyones place where they ballanced is it 130 or 150 back from the leading edge ?? Or where ?
Old 09-08-2011, 05:19 PM
STICK MODE

mines set at 138mm the flys well with a satio 170r in her (at 150mm back you will be picking up parts on your first flight) ballance it up side down with the retracts retracted note when you drop them to a landing state the nose will drop with the forward shift off the wheels. if you at all worried try setting the COG at 138 the factory setting is 140 i know that sounds daft but its a very sensitive plane it regards the COG a tiny bit of weight makes a huge diffrence
Old 09-10-2011, 01:20 PM
SimonV6

Yeah i now fly at 135mm, best seems to be 130-140....
Old 09-10-2011, 01:28 PM
STICK MODE

Glad you came in there Simon at 150 back it would have been a real hand full to fly how did you get on with that 200 OS motor?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.