Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 09:52 AM
colemn615

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I was originally looking at a DLE35 for this bird. After reading about having to add a bunch of weight to the nose maybe a Zenoah G38 or G45? I did read about a G38 which required little weight to the nose to balance. I don't plan to put in a retractable tail, so maybe a G45 would do the ticket.

Thoughts?
Old 04-21-2017, 10:32 AM
colemn615

Default Bought one

Well yesterday I placed an order with VQWarbirds it should be here early next week. I picked up the arf, sierra retracts, and the 2 blade spinner.

I am looking at a DLE 35, EME 35, G38, or OS 33 for my engine. I like to go fast and this thing needs nose weight, maybe a G45.

This will be my first ESM arf. I have build some kits. A few arfs from different makes. This one looks the most complicated.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:05 PM
Pilot_Tony
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will this motor work?

I'm looking to put Saito Fg33r in this ARF.
The dia of the ring is 7 3/4 in. and out site of push rod covers is 8 in. Does anyone know if it will fit?

Thanks, Tony
Old 07-17-2017, 05:01 PM
Bill Rademacher
My Feedback: (77)

I have a spare cowl for mine. Diameter at the back is 9" .

Inside, measured at the front is 7".

Hope this helps.

Bill
Old 07-17-2017, 06:38 PM
Pilot_Tony

Originally Posted by Bill Rademacher
I have a spare cowl for mine. Diameter at the back is 9" .

Inside, measured at the front is 7".

Hope this helps.

Bill

Thanks Bill, exactly what I needed, cheers!
Old 07-19-2017, 08:10 AM
Bill Rademacher

So here's a question;

I have the Sierra retracts, Sierra wheel hubs and tires. These hubs weigh in pretty hefty.

Balancing the model, upside down on a custom balancer at 130mm, I noticed that with the landing gear stowed, it is perfectly level. With the gear extended, it is slightly nose heavy.

Has anyone swapped the wheels for the original plastic ESM wheels included in the kit? Is this anything to care about?

Power is a PTE36R rear exhaust gasser with nose weight added.

thanks

Bill
Old 07-19-2017, 08:26 AM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

being nose heavy for takeoff and landing is a good thing. don't worry as long as stowed the CG is good.

Joe
Old 07-19-2017, 11:44 AM
Zero
My Feedback: (42)

I recently did a maiden flight on mine. DLE 20 with 2.1 pounds of nose weight. Balanced at 130mm. First flight the elevator was set at neutral and the plane jumped off of the ground without enough airspeed. Needless to say it tip stalled and did some minor damage. I repaired the minor damage and adjusted the elevator to a down elevator position when the trim on the radio was centered. Second flight with the down elevator built in the plane stayed on the ground long enough and built up enough airspeed that with minor up it lifted off just like the real ones. Flew great. I would not move the balance the to 140mm as note in the book.
Good luck on the flight.
Fred
Old 07-23-2017, 10:42 AM
Prekin
My Feedback: (19)

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by Prekin; 07-24-2017 at 09:23 PM. Reason: wrong thread
Old 07-23-2017, 03:52 PM
colemn615

How did it fly with the DLE 20? I plan to put in an OS 33.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:11 PM
Pilot_Tony

Default Fw190 balance

To get the optimum reported balance of 133mm from the wing leading edge, what do you do? Gear down, right side up, gear up right side up, gear down upside down or gear up upside down? For my FMS foamy 190, I balanced with gear down, right side up.

TIA,
Tony
Old 07-23-2017, 04:24 PM
Katniss

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gear up, upside down
Old 07-25-2017, 11:38 AM
paladin

always balance w gear as far back as they will go. that's usually retracted.

Joe
Old 10-19-2017, 07:34 PM
colemn615

Well I am breaking in an OS 33 on my Escapade 30cc.

What's everyone's thoughts on nose weight even with a 30cc gas engine? I saw that with a DLE 20 it required 2.1 lbs of weight in the nose. I think the OS 33 is 1 lb heavier than the DLE 20.

I do wonder with all the different versions if mine will be any lighter. Did the DLE 20 use a tail retract? I don't plan to put any unneeded weight in the tail so no tail retract for me.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:44 PM
Multi-Engine Guy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Esm fw190a

Damn this was a long thread.
In the time that it took me to read through it, I could have read the entire Holy Bible and War and Peace, twice.
Well there is just no way that I am going to let this thread just disappear.
You see, at the 2018 AMA Show in Southern California, back in the Swap Shop, there was a large box.
The box had two or three other boxes stacked on top of it. So without moving those boxes, there was no way to see a label.
But on the side of the box, someone had taped on a sign, the sign read: CMP Fw190 $225.

So I asked the Gentleman if the contents were all there and in good condition.
He assured me that they were and that everything was in perfect condition, as was the box.
Right about this time, a couple of fellows walked up to the stack of boxes and began perusing the box on the bottom of the stack.
I immediately told the seller that I would take it.
Right then one of the fellows asked if he could check out the plane in the bottom box.
The seller said "Sorry it's been sold".
I paid him and we proceeded to get the box out from under the stack.
I am very familiar with CMPro planes, I have quite a few of them, but this box was different.
And so was the label, as it said KMP FW190A.
When the lid was off, there it was, an ESM FW190A.

The only issue was that the flimsy canopy had a small crack on the bottom edge.
A couple of days later I ordered two Ty's Planes FW190A Canopy's and a Ty's Cockpit kit from Thomas at VQ warbirds.
I recently picked up a brand new Saito Fa150,
which is very comparable to the Saito 170R three cylinder radial.
And just a few weeks ago was offered a great deal
from Thomas at Legend hobby (Formerly VQ Warbirds) for a set of Sierra Precision FW190A retracts.
I wasn't planning on starting this until this Summer, but after finally finishing this thread, I have decided to start much sooner.
Most likely this weekend.
This thread will not die quite yet.
I will search for my original pics from when I first picked it up.
If they were deleted, I will post some this weekend.

Last edited by Multi-Engine Guy; 11-05-2020 at 08:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Birddog-RCU (11-05-2020)
Old 11-06-2020, 07:59 AM
paladin

good to hear people are still working these!

mine has nano puffs in it so I have to replace them to get back in the air and probably make a hatch to access them.

Joe
The following users liked this post:
Multi-Engine Guy (11-06-2020)
Old 11-06-2020, 10:20 PM
Multi-Engine Guy

Well Joe, I am about 10 years late for the party, and I myself haven't been on RCUNIVERSE in a number of years, but I am glad that there is still a forum like this left.
​​​ . Facebook is fine for just sharing pics, but definitely not for any in depth discussion or information. A lot of guys switched over to Facebook, I did too, and I am quite tired of it.

Now about the Plane, I actually know of at least one other person who has one of these early version all composite FW190A's new in the box.
​​​​ I will be pulling it out tomorrow and going back through it.
. Your user name sounds familiar, and I think that I remember you either from earlier in the thread or from another one.
I only have had a few posts here. Mostly from at least 8 years ago.
My little scratch built F-82 twin Mustang and my Royal B-17.
. Both of which still exist.
This Fw190 should be fun, and I certainly feel like I have a lot of information to be able to not duplicate any of the mistakes made some.
. But there was certainly plenty of very good information and feedback left in theis thread.
I will of course post pics during the build, but not so sure that will much of a difference from what's already been posted.
but I will do it anyway.
But I think that I will do it with bigger chunks of the the assembly posted a little further apart, maybe once a month.
By the way, my name is Jon.
I now kinda think that the usage of user names is a bit silly, but I guess that I'm stuck with mine.
I will post some pics tomorrow, if I can remember how.

Last edited by Multi-Engine Guy; 11-06-2020 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:21 PM
Multi-Engine Guy

Well Joe, I am about 10 years late for the party, and I myself haven't been on RCUNIVERSE in a number of years, but I am glad that there is still a forum like this left.
​​​ . Facebook is fine for just sharing pics, but definitely not for any in depth discussion or information. A lot of guys switched over to Facebook, I did too, and I am quite tired of it.

Now about the Plane, I actually know of at least one other person who has one of these early version all composite FW190A's new in the box.
. Your user name sounds familiar, and I think that I remember you either from earlier in the thread or from another one.
This Fw190 should be fun, and I certainly feel like I have a lot of information to be able to not duplicate any of the mistakes made some.
. But there was certainly plenty of very good information and feedback left in theis thread.
I will of course post pics during the build, but not so sure that will much of a difference from what's already been posted.
but I will do it anyway.
But I think that I will do it with bigger chunks of the the assembly posted a little further apart, maybe once a month.
I now kinda think that the usage of user names is a bit silly, but I guess that I'm stuck with mine.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:56 PM
Bill Rademacher

I have a non composite version with a PTR 36 in the nose. My biggest takeaway from the forum is to get the balance point correct. Seems to be critical.
I am using sierra retracts with those super heavy wheels. Full cockpit. Flew originally with a RCFG 26, then added the cockpit and flew with a DLE 30 side exhaust. Went to a PTR 36 to get a rear exhaust.

Bill

Originally Posted by Multi-Engine Guy

but I will do it anyway.
Old 11-09-2020, 05:32 AM
paladin

but I will do it anyway.
ya, I have one of the total composite kmp's, but got a hell of a deal in a esm so I built it. it fly's very nice, though I am suspect of the lg rails. but I made several mistakes in the electronics: I put a ESC without a BEC in it and of coarse the nano puffs were new then and I flew it till they got to balboas to be safe (hope I can remove them without breaking to much.

ya the monikers are what they are, that's why I sign my name at the end of each post.

good luck
Joe
Old 11-18-2020, 12:11 AM
jescardin
My Feedback: (1)

Add me to the list! I also own a full composite ESM FW190A still new in its box since I bought it about 10 years ago! Too many projects and so little time.....

Sure I am one who will follow your assembly thread!

Best Regards.