Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

The paint job/decals. Bindseil's aircraft is very well documented. KMP didn't even really come close and thats all I'm saying

As for the actual airframe, mind you I'm only doing this visually, I'm not all that hot with computer graphics so I have no way of overlaying them.

Thus, in my opinion:

Ok, top down view: The KMP model wing looks like it has too much of a backwards sweep on the LE. Alieron trim tabs are too big. Alierons are not the right shape, the trailing edge isn't rounded enough. the leading edge appearst to be too round. The wing root at the LE isn't beefy enough, it starts too close to the fuse on the wing, and ends too soon as it blends into the fuse. The horizontal stab may be a bit short, but the shape is nice. I cant quite tell but it looks like the fuse is the same diameter from the wing le to te, it shouldn't be, its almost a cone from the tail to the end of the cowling. Canopy appears to be too wide. From the looks of it the fuse over the wing may be too round but its hard to tell exactly.

Side view: Top of the fuse from the end of the cowling to the vertical stab is wrong. It doesn't look right. Its too big at the gun hood area, and especially the transition into the canopy front is off. From the back of the canopy to the tail is way too steep. The bottom of the fuse lifts up too much, the real thing had very little lift from the horizontal. The KMP starts rising a little under the Iron Cross and continues to the tip of the fuse at the tail. There is no rear retract cut out. yeah I know the rear gear will be mounted to the rudder more than likely. The vertical stab shape is wrong, especially at the top. I'm not sure, but it looks as if the canopy isn't long enough, but that could be an optical illusion caused byt

Front view. Yep, the horizontal stab isn't big enough. You can really see it in this image. Canopy isn't tall enough. You can also see the wrong shape of the gun hood to canopy transition in this image, as well as the wrong position of the fuse mounted MG151's. Horizontal stab is sitting too low on the fuse, should be higher, like mid way between the canopy and wing. The wing doesn't sit low enough on the fuse. The wing should blend nicely into the bottom of the fuse, the KMP looks like it is about an inch or so too deep into the fuse.

Just my .02 reichsmarks

Remember folks, this is my opinion on the differences between the KMP model and the real thing. I'm not slagging the KMP plane this time, just commenting on the kit vs. 3views that are fairly accurate (not the best ones out there, but decent).
Old 10-24-2007, 04:13 PM
taygher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The debate about the accuracy of this FW190 will probably go on forever..
I just want to say that it looks better and better for every picture I see in the thread. It´s a shame that all my money must go to a GS P Wagstaff Extra300 with a Saito 300 twin, otherwise my KMP Spitfire would have a great opponent in this beautiful FW190.

I just hope that this ARF still will be available next winter, then it could become project 2008/2009..[8D]
My engine choise would be the Saito 182 twin. Fits inside the cowl and hopefully makes led in the nose unnecessary.

Have a great day down under, dvs1 and keep up the good work!

Regards,
Lars
Old 10-24-2007, 04:24 PM
Evil_Merlin

Why does your money HAVE to get an Extra 300. You know that warbird flying is a lot better than the flip-flopping flying!
Old 10-24-2007, 06:03 PM
Redback

Oh no, don't lets get into that one as well as the scale outline issue

Robart hinge points finally arrived so have been able to fit the flaps (used the supplied ones for the ailerons. Noticed that there doesn't seem to be anywhere to bring the servo leads out, so some drilling will be needed.

Retracts are fitted, as per previous posts have tried them separately but have yet to try with both hooked up. Spent some time filing the door brackets to get a better fir onto the legs. Going to look around the hardware store to see if I can come up with anything to replace the wheel door brackets, maybe in the plumbing section.

Once I've joined the wing can move on to the fuselage, which has hardly seen daylight since I got the plane. BTW, anyone know where I can get some pictures of an FW190 cockpit, I have a couple of books but none have anything useful.

Terry
Old 10-24-2007, 08:02 PM
dvs1

Ok, top down view: The KMP model wing looks like it has too much of a backwards sweep on the LE. Alieron trim tabs are too big. Alierons are not the right shape, the trailing edge isn't rounded enough. the leading edge appearst to be too round. The wing root at the LE isn't beefy enough, it starts too close to the fuse on the wing, and ends too soon as it blends into the fuse. The horizontal stab may be a bit short, but the shape is nice. I cant quite tell but it looks like the fuse is the same diameter from the wing le to te, it shouldn't be, its almost a cone from the tail to the end of the cowling. Canopy appears to be too wide. From the looks of it the fuse over the wing may be too round but its hard to tell exactly.

The fuse is actually a cone and tapers all the way from the nose to the tail. You can't see that well in the photos the sun was going down and I wanted to hurry and get some shots.
I think what you are seeing is where the fuse blends into the wing and it is making the fuse look straight instead of tapered. Also the front view is a little misleading I wasnt High enough
on the plane when I snapped the picture so the canopy and tail look a little short other than that I would have to agree on most of your statements.

But again I am still thrilled with this plane as I still think it looks fantastic. Maybe some day I will be able to drop the cash for the SisT but until then this will have to be my baby. As well as
hopefully be able to get An Aerotech Mustang as well.

One other thing as well that you cant see from the pics that I am a little upset about is that a few of the panel lines on the bottom of the wing are missing on one side and not the other. As well as
there is a blister on the left side of the rudder but not the right.

Does anyone know of anyone that makes a 1/6 scale tailwheel for the FW-190. Shinden is the only one I found and for $100 it does not look very good. If I am going to spend that much for a tailgear
I would prefer sierra but I dont see one on their website.

Once I've joined the wing can move on to the fuselage, which has hardly seen daylight since I got the plane. BTW, anyone know where I can get some pictures of an FW190 cockpit, I have a couple of books but none have anything useful.

I have talked to Brian at Dbalsa about getting a cockpit kit built for this plane but he is having a hard time getting a fuse from KMP to mock one up. I am working with him to try and get one made. I just need to
get a mock up cockpit made and send him as many pics and specs as I can.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:17 PM
bigtim

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://fw190.hobbyvista.com/detail.htm here is a site I have found thats been helpfull I have a A* kit I am building next so its in my research package
Old 10-25-2007, 01:27 AM
dvs1

Lplus,
Thanks for the 3 view, as you said hopefully someone can photoshop them together so we can see the areas that are off.
Also the the scale views will be helpful to me when I get around to adding a few things on mine.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:56 AM
Lplus

ORIGINAL: Evil_Merlin

:

There are other pictures of this plane that show the fuz is tapered.

Side view: Top of the fuse from the end of the cowling to the vertical stab is wrong. It doesn't look right. Its too big at the gun hood area, and especially the transition into the canopy front is off. From the back of the canopy to the tail is way too steep. The bottom of the fuse lifts up too much, the real thing had very little lift from the horizontal. The KMP starts rising a little under the Iron Cross and continues to the tip of the fuse at the tail. There is no rear retract cut out. yeah I know the rear gear will be mounted to the rudder more than likely. The vertical stab shape is wrong, especially at the top. I'm not sure, but it looks as if the canopy isn't long enough, but that could be an optical illusion caused byt
There was a continuous curve in the bottom of the fuselage from the middle of the wing to the tail, though whether it was as much as the model I'm not sure. I think the fact that the fuz is too thin just in front of the tail makes it look worse.

Front view. Yep, the horizontal stab isn't big enough. You can really see it in this image. Canopy isn't tall enough. You can also see the wrong shape of the gun hood to canopy transition in this image, as well as the wrong position of the fuse mounted MG151's. Horizontal stab is sitting too low on the fuse, should be higher, like mid way between the canopy and wing. The wing doesn't sit low enough on the fuse. The wing should blend nicely into the bottom of the fuse, the KMP looks like it is about an inch or so too deep into the fuse.
Here I think I have to disagree with some of your comments. Because of the perspective problems of photographing from a short distance, I don't think it is possible to compare the 3 view with the actual front view. The size of the cowl, stab and fin are bound to be out of proportion to each other, being at different distances from the camera, and the relative levels of cockpit, cowl and stab depend on the angle of the photograph. A minute difference from the fuz datum and they can look completely out of position. It's like saying the wingtip in the sideview is too big compared to the 3 view; of course it is unless the picture was taken from about 100yds away with a massive telephoto lens. It's only fair to compare three views with parts of the plane that are approximately the same distance from the camera.

3views that are fairly accurate (not the best ones out there, but decent).
so name me a better set of 3 views than the ones used for the design of the new build A8Ns?

Edit t@ Alan c and co. Yes I'm still looking to buy one, though I think I would have to try to build up the fuz just in front of the tail as part of the repaint job. That's the only thing I really have issues with. I just hope it doesn't add too much extra weight.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:01 AM
Evil_Merlin

What part of it's hard to tell didn't you understand. I've not seen an image at this angle before, nor one which shows a fully tapered fuse, thus I am reporting on what I see. But in post 30 by DVS1, it does look like the taper is there.

There was a continuous curve in the bottom of the fuselage from the middle of the wing to the tail, though whether it was as much as the model I'm not sure. I think the fact that the fuz is too thin just in front of the tail makes it look worse
Please go and review the images of the bottom of a FW 190 again. The rear of the wings are covered by a number of plates which cover the under wing/cockpit fuel tanks and lended to the transition into the rear of the fuse. These plates extend till just about the end of the wing fairings. They are also more "folded" than curved. The curve of the fuse does not start till the end of the fuel tank areas. But even so, they are not nearly as rounded on the bottom as the KMP model portrays them as.
Take the cowl out of the image, as it was an egg and not part of the fuse proper.

Looking at the original images of the wing halves, one can see that the area is far too rounded from the LE to the TE. Especially in post 28 in this thread.

(yes, I'm aware this is a D9, but the wing and most of the fuse is the same)

Here I think I have to disagree with some of your comments. Because of the perspective problems of photographing from a short distance, I don't think it is possible to compare the 3 view with the actual front view. The size of the cowl, stab and fin are bound to be out of proportion to each other, being at different distances from the camera, and the relative levels of cockpit, cowl and stab depend on the angle of the photograph. A minute difference from the fuz datum and they can look completely out of position. It's like saying the wingtip in the sideview is too big compared to the 3 view; of course it is unless the picture was taken from about 100yds away with a massive telephoto lens. It's only fair to compare three views with parts of the plane that are approximately the same distance from the camera.
Are you honestly telling me the gun hood is the right shape? That the MG151 runs in the gun hoods are in the proper position? That the gun hood transition into the canopy is accurate?

so name me a better set of 3 views than the ones used for the design of the new build A8Ns?
Off the top of my head? Bentley's stuff for one, but hell, go right to the source and get the factory drawings (which include a fab set of 3-views) from Bremen (these are available from a fine fellow in New Zealand).

Old 10-25-2007, 09:37 AM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

to be honest here, the KMP FW is not a bad ARF.
but, I tend to agree though with EM, Richard and a
few others that there are a few discrepencies that
have been over looked.

the tail, the gun hood, the round bulge on the bottom of the
wing between the wheel wells as all have mentioned. if the gun
hood was scale (and its not) then the MG's would be firing down
thru the engine.[8D]

EM has been posting some very accurate info as to what the FW should
look like, and just wanted to back up what he is saying. the FW ARF
here just does not fit any correct 3-views. Now I understand its not
a dead nuts scale plane, but, the tail deal, and gun hood are big give
aways that would shy me away from it. they are obviously wrong, and
just plane (pun intended) dont look right.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:48 PM
taygher

Dear Mr. Evil

Have you actually read the RCU Policy marked in red when you post your replies?
I understand that you disapprove of aerobatic models and just had to make a comment about my next project.
Personally, I enjoy the nice variety in our great hobby and find some aerobatic excercises a great complement to my usual warbird flying with P51:s and my Spitfire.

I attach the policy in case you missed it.

Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. We encourage the free flow of your ideas, but believe that they can be communicated (and received) much more effectively if you keep things civil. If you have to vent, take it offline. We carefully monitor posts and will ban individuals who engage in offensive conduct within the forums. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:11 PM
PE2fan
My Feedback: (8)

Umm, taygher,

/me thinks you need to have a beer and relax. That response was not even close to a flame.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Evil_Merlin

I guess someone got insulted by me calling acrobatic flying flip-flopping.

Of course he did so without even thinking or reading Fokke's thread where I am talking about MY flip-flopping bird (AK Models Su-27).

Old 10-25-2007, 07:44 PM
AKondor

HI Everyone:

We are ordering custom parabolic annodized black spinners from Tru-Turn. We will have them in stock shortly in both 2 blade and 3 blade versions. We will be ordering them in 3.5 inch unless we have overwhelming request for other sizes. I have heard that 4 in is scale but you will need an awful big prop to balance the look of sich a big spinner. Any thoughts here would be appreciated as we are making them for you. The cost will be posted as soon as we get back our final pricing from tru-turn.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:32 PM
Evil_Merlin

I don't know who said 4" was scale, but it's not even close.

Even 3 1/2 is too big.

3 1/4 would be the way to go as scale would be 3 19/64"
Old 10-25-2007, 09:52 PM
dvs1

I don't know who said 4" was scale, but it's not even close.

Even 3 1/2 is too big.

3 1/4 would be the way to go as scale would be 3 19/64"

You did earlier on this thread, later you restated 3 and 1/4 would be more scale

[quote]The SkyShark kit is just a wee bit smaller than 1/7th scale (59 or so inch wingspan, I forget exactly what), the KMP has a 70", which is 1/5.85 scale, the spinner from SkyShark is going to look silly.

You are going to need a 4" diameter spinner for the KMP bird.[quote]

Old 10-25-2007, 09:55 PM
dvs1

HI Everyone:

We are ordering custom parabolic annodized black spinners from Tru-Turn. We will have them in stock shortly in both 2 blade and 3 blade versions. We will be ordering them in 3.5 inch unless we have overwhelming request for other sizes. I have heard that 4 in is scale but you will need an awful big prop to balance the look of sich a big spinner. Any thoughts here would be appreciated as we are making them for you. The cost will be posted as soon as we get back our final pricing from tru-turn.
Hi AKondor,

As long as the spinner you are manufacturing is between 3 1/4 and 3 1/2 inch and has the correct FW-190A8 shape I would love to purchase
a 3 blade one from you and possibly a 2 blade.
Thanks for the update.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:08 PM
dvs1

Since no one including myself liked the door collars KMP sent with their retracts I spent some time tonight building my own.
I used .50 BMG case necks for the brass sleeves as I have one I have an abundant supply of shells, and I used old computer
motherboard stand offs for the mounts. Then used trust automotive JB weld to hold things together. Now keep in mind I still have
to do some minor sanding and find a close paint color for the gear and install the brake line before I'm finished with this one but you
get the idea.
Oh almost forgot I still have to do something about these wheels and fabricate the upper lock down scissors but I think it looks better than
the bulky aluminum blocks.
Also I know the upper mount is not like the real FW but I figured I built 3 collars why not make them all match. Seems like a lot of work but
the less money I spend on the retracts the more I have to spend on other accessories.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46839.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	790554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12465.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	790555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82897.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	790556  
Old 10-25-2007, 11:40 PM
Evil_Merlin

As you said, I updated my post, as I was pulling measurments off the SkyShark spinner alone.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:44 PM
Evil_Merlin

Hey that didn't come out too bad!

You gotta polish that oleo though. Get it nice and bright steel if you can (not sure what the main strut is made of though).

You going to attempt the scissors for the strut/oleo?
Old 10-26-2007, 12:18 AM
dvs1

Thanks Merlin,

Polishing will take a while the anodizing coat is thick! Sanded the blue off one the the retract units and it took forever with 100 grit.
Dont know If I will attempt the lower scissors but will definately attempt the uppers The FW has to have them it just doesn't look right
without them just these long chicken legs hanging out in limbo.

You don't happen to know what the exact or close color is for the gear do you? As soon as I get the other side done and get the scissors
made I want to get painting.

By the way how is your build coming with your FW.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:45 AM
Lplus

ORIGINAL: Evil_Merlin

What part of it's hard to tell didn't you understand. I've not seen an image at this angle before, nor one which shows a fully tapered fuse, thus I am reporting on what I see. But in post 30 by DVS1, it does look like the taper is there.
[/quote]

As I said; so why the insult about my understanding? I was just pointing it out.

There was a continuous curve in the bottom of the fuselage from the middle of the wing to the tail, though whether it was as much as the model I'm not sure. I think the fact that the fuz is too thin just in front of the tail makes it look worse
Please go and review the images of the bottom of a FW 190 again. The rear of the wings are covered by a number of plates which cover the under wing/cockpit fuel tanks and lended to the transition into the rear of the fuse. These plates extend till just about the end of the wing fairings. They are also more "folded" than curved. The curve of the fuse does not start till the end of the fuel tank areas. But even so, they are not nearly as rounded on the bottom as the KMP model portrays them as.
Take the cowl out of the image, as it was an egg and not part of the fuse proper.

Looking at the original images of the wing halves, one can see that the area is far too rounded from the LE to the TE. Especially in post 28 in this thread.
I have plenty of images of 190s available to me, including pictures I took myself of the two 190s in the UK. If you mean a transverse 'bulge' of fuselage beneath the wing, I agree with you. I understood you to mean the longitudinal curve of the bottom of the fuselage from the front to the back, illustrated beautifully in the second of your pictures, because you wrote this The bottom of the fuse lifts up too much, the real thing had very little lift from the horizontal. The KMP starts rising a little under the Iron Cross and continues to the tip of the fuse at the tail

There isn't a recess for the lower exhaust ports in the bottom of the wing either.

Are you honestly telling me the gun hood is the right shape? That the MG151 runs in the gun hoods are in the proper position? That the gun hood transition into the canopy is accurate?
I said I disagreed with SOME of your comments. I don't even think you can see the transition from cowl to windscreen in dvs1's picture because the front of the cowl hides it. It is visible in the side view however.

Off the top of my head? Bentley's stuff for one, but hell, go right to the source and get the factory drawings (which include a fab set of 3-views) from Bremen (these are available from a fine fellow in New Zealand).
Those three views I posted WERE from Bentley. Bentley was also the adviser to the builders of the A8Ns. I feel sure I mentioned that they were from Bentley, to the point of linking to his website.

Ah to blazes with it - I'll just take out a bank loan and get a Sist 190, then I can stop worrying about accuracy.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:17 AM
Airscrew

Hello,

I really love this plane, but it sems not to be easy to find one in Switzerland. Is anybody out there who can help me please?
Sorry for the offtopic!

Dieter
Old 10-26-2007, 08:33 AM
nicostoffi

Philippe Kraus wird sie bestimmt bekommen.

www.classicbirds.ch

Old 10-26-2007, 08:58 AM
Airscrew

Hallo,

Bei www.classicbirds.ch habe ich gestern telephoniert. Die kannten die FW-190 noch nicht einmal!
Er sagte mir, es sei sehr schwierig diese hier zu bekommen.
Trotzdem danke!

Gruss

Dieter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.