Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 07:07 AM
cgcrc

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

Hi dvs1;

Have been following the building thread for a while. Keep up the great effort it certainly is appreciated.
Had a chance to order one of these models at a recent show and is due in on the next shipment. (One of my upcoming winter projects).

Much like yourself I wanted to stay with a gasoline engine for this model. Wanted to know your thoughts between the Evolution 26 and the BCMA 26 you will be putting in your model. I was leaning toward the Evolution engine but wanted a chance to discuss this before purchasing either one.
From what I have read the weight should be close, the Evolution is indicated at 33.6 oz without muffler and the BCMA is at 36 with ignition and muffler.

Was it weight, size, hp, cost, fit inside the cowling, etc.

One last thing if possible, what is the approx. diameter of the cowling where the engine will sit.

Thanks again for the thread.

Regards
Randy
Old 11-10-2007, 10:10 AM
PE2fan
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who is going to get one of these in the air ? I am really curious as to how it flies. I just bought a Saito 170 and need to decide if it is going in this plane or the Bearcat.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:58 PM
dvs1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi dvs1;

Have been following the building thread for a while. Keep up the great effort it certainly is appreciated.
Had a chance to order one of these models at a recent show and is due in on the next shipment. (One of my upcoming winter projects).

Much like yourself I wanted to stay with a gasoline engine for this model. Wanted to know your thoughts between the Evolution 26 and the BCMA 26 you will be putting in your model. I was leaning toward the Evolution engine but wanted a chance to discuss this before purchasing either one.
From what I have read the weight should be close, the Evolution is indicated at 33.6 oz without muffler and the BCMA is at 36 with ignition and muffler.

Was it weight, size, hp, cost, fit inside the cowling, etc.

One last thing if possible, what is the approx. diameter of the cowling where the engine will sit.

Thanks again for the thread.

Regards
Randy
Randy,

I highly considered the evolution 26 but in the end it was the money factor that made me purchase the BCMA26.
Weight is not a factor, acually both engines really don't weigh quite what I wanted for this tail heavy plane. But these are the
only two I really found that I think will fit entirely in the cowl, and that was the main thing for me was a hidden engine. Both will
spin comparable sized props. One thing I did want to get away from was the cradle type engine mount the Evolution uses. I wanted
to use a engine like the BCMA that uses standoffs or mounts directly to the firewall. I did contemplate using the BCMA40 as just a small
portion of the head would stick out and I would be able to use a scale prop. But I really am trying to get away from engine parts bulging
from cowls. I think its 6's either way, from my calculations Both SHOULD fit completely inside the cowl and both are good engines, and like
I said in the end it was cost for me. I also figured if I need just a little more room for the plug boot I can rotate the engine and fit the boot
in the cowl blister.
The cowl diameter where the engine will be placed is just at or under 8.5 inches.
If you have any other questions let me know and post some pics when you start your build. I like to see how other people are coming on
theirs as well and see any mods they are doing.

Later,
Curt
Old 11-11-2007, 08:10 AM
cgcrc

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Curt;

Thanks for the reply and info re engine selection. I was in at the local hobby dealer and measured the Evolution 26, as you mentioned I think it may be close to fit everything inside the cowling considering the spark plug cap. I'll now for certain once I get the model.

As yourself, I like to mount any of the larger gasoline engines "flush" to the firewall instead of the cradle set up. I presently use the "flush" mount system on a KMP DeHavilland Beaver on floats using a Zenoah G-26.

Any idea how much extra nose weight will be required for the FW 190. Was hopeful not to have added to much however with the shorter nose moment it doesn't surprise me. Again, with the Beaver I use a "FEMA" onboard compact electric starter system. Slick outfit, but still had to add a little nose weight.

Once I get underway with the model I'll certainly post some pics. If I go with the Evolution we can compare notes re assembly, engine mounting and flying characteristics.

Will keep you posted.

Regards
Randy

Old 11-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Redback

Having solved the problems with the stab I took a look at the rudder.

No holes drilled for the pull-pull to exit and no clues as to where they need to be. Drew out an outline of the fuse on an old plan to figure out the position lengthwise. Planning to use a Precision Aerobatics Carbon Fibre servo horn same as my Edge, this looks like it will match the width of the rudder horns.

On looking down the inside of the fuse there are two formers just behind where the elevator tubes exit, by design (hopefully) or good fortune these have holes in the sides that the cables can go through. Took a guess that the holes were 10mm below where the elevator pushrods exit and marked the vertical position using these as a guide.

Drilled the holes and Bl**dy miracle, they are in the right place. Now if I can only get the elevator pushrods to run smoothly I can move on. Seen that others had problems here, would like to use the supplied rods if possible but will discard if I have to.

BTW, still had a bit of a gap between the stab and fuse one side, even after all the bending and sanding. Found that adding a bit of black pigment to epoxy + microballons gave me a grey very similar to the colour of the stab.

Terry
Old 11-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Terry

I just received my kit and have found all the same problems that you have described thus far. I apologized if I missed it earlier but what engine are you going to use. It looks to me like it is going to take a lot of weight up front to get to the correct CG.

Message to the designers - there is little in the manual to describe the flight characteristics of this bird? Can you supply us with any more info?

Regards
Dean W.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Redback

Dean,

At the moment planning to use an OS120AX plus, I expect, a lot of weight.

May yet change my mind and go for a petrol engine though.

Regards

Terry
Old 11-16-2007, 08:34 AM
BigRetracts-RCU

Latest News,

The 1/6th scale FW-190 Tail Retracts are almost done.
There are only going to be about 15 built, so don't be the 16th customer.

Available from Sierra Giant

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52644.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	804901  
Old 11-16-2007, 02:44 PM
dvs1

Latest News,

The 1/6th scale FW-190 Tail Retracts are almost done.
There are only going to be about 15 built, so done be the 16th customer.

Available from Sierra Giant
Thanks again Darrell,

Can't wait to get mine in the mail and put it in. These will definately compliment this
plane well.

Curt
Old 11-17-2007, 04:23 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: dvs1

Mobyal,

What is the weight difference between your sierras and kmp gear. Also is there any play in
the strut or retract mechanism. I am leaning towards getting sierras when I get some extra cash,
because these kmp gear have some play in the retract block I can't get rid of as well as have some
twisting play in the oleo part of the strut. not to mention the two set screws that hold the strut into the
block are very very tiny, much smaller than I have seen on any other retracts. Even JB welded into the
retract block these gear are seriously making me nervous.

If the weight is the same or close that will be the determining factor as my plane is adding up on the scale quick.
Hey Dvs1

I just received the retracts off mobyal, and there is no play in them?? in actual fact one of the is almost a little too tight. I have found that they can seem a little too loose it they are not properly extended or retracted. It's like they feel to be in the right position and you can't force them to move, but there is some play. when i pumped a little more air into them, and the piston moved out a little more it were all good.

Thanks

dave
Old 11-18-2007, 01:43 AM
dvs1

Hey Dvs1

I just received the retracts off mobyal, and there is no play in them?? in actual fact one of the is almost a little too tight. I have found that they can seem a little too loose it they are not properly extended or retracted. It's like they feel to be in the right position and you can't force them to move, but there is some play. when i pumped a little more air into them, and the piston moved out a little more it were all good.

Thanks

dave
Dave,

That is good that you received a good set. I have taken all avenues to tighten mine up but I am still unhappy with them. So as soon as
Christmas is over and I get some extra spending money for myself I am going to order a set of retracts and scale main wheels from Darrell
at Sierra to match the scale tailgear that I ordered from him yesterday.

On another note I am still waiting to receive my BCMA engine. Still hoping it will fit entirely in the cowl. I am also going to move all my servos
forward very close to the firewall to help my future CG issue. The only one I will leave in its intended place will be the Rudder/tailwheel steering servo.
Hopefully by keeping everything close to the firewall it will minimize the weight I will have to add to balance.

Have you started modifying your CMP FW-190 to accept the KMP gear yet?

Curt
Old 11-18-2007, 04:43 PM
ticketec

Hey Curt,

No mate, They arrived at a bad time. Found out with 4 days notice that we can move into the house we have just bought so i'll have to start renovating about 2 months earlier than originally planned.[] So Thats going to chew up all the spare money and time.

I will try and do little bit's here and there in the next 2 weeks or so while i still have my work bench setup at the old place, but i also have to clear some customer jobs too. I have had a quick look at it and with the scale length of strut, the mounting plate will have to be moved outboard. they would not fit into the original's either so it's no great loss.

Thanks

Dave
Old 11-18-2007, 08:29 PM
sevans16

What is the stock setup for the tail wheel? Fixed/retract? Looking into the Sierra retracts, I see they are going to have a limiteed run of tail tracts but I am not committed to the plane yet.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:03 PM
dvs1

What is the stock setup for the tail wheel? Fixed/retract? Looking into the Sierra retracts, I see they are going to have a limiteed run of tail tracts but I am not committed to the plane yet.
Sevans,

The stock setup for the tail wheel is a simple fixed wire gear attached to the rudder much like that on a sport or 3D plane.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:50 PM
sevans16

So what would be involved to install the Seirra retract tail wheel? Sounds like it would be quite an undertaking? Are the KMP retracts any good? Do they need replaced? I have only had H9 ARF an there retracts were total junk. I could not keep the wheels under the plane.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:49 AM
dvs1

So what would be involved to install the Seirra retract tail wheel? Sounds like it would be quite an undertaking? Are the KMP retracts any good? Do they need replaced? I have only had H9 ARF an there retracts were total junk. I could not keep the wheels under the plane.
Sevans,

I'm not quite sure yet but will let you know when I get it. But no really what you will most likely have to do is cut a hole in the bottom back of the fuse which I have done and posted a page or 2 back.
Which is a scale type and size of opening.Then install a vertical former just in front of the fuse hole for the front retract mount. As for the upper former you will have to open a small hole in the rudder mounting
area and slide a former in and glue in place(before you install the rudder of course). Then as far as the wheel steering is concerned I am not quite sure yet but as soon as I have the retract in hand I can visualize
better. Darrell at Sierra may already have everything worked out. But will no for sure on that when I receive the tailgear. There are probably other ways of installing it I just thought this might be the easiest.

As far as the KMP retracts go it kind of sounds hit and miss to me. Some people here have been quite pleased with them. I however am not 100% satisfied. I have some play in the gear that I cannot get out and I
prefer air up air down style and these are air up spring down. So it would depend on who you asked if they need to be replaced or not. I think as long as I did not have a hard landing they would probably be OK. But I
Still plan to purchase the Sierra main gear and wheels before my maiden flight.

Curt
Old 11-19-2007, 04:09 PM
Redback

The supplied tailwheel is, as Curt implies, junk!

I don't want to go the whole way to a retractable tailwheel (scared to put any more weight at the back end!) but could not bring myself to install the one in the kit. Still looking for a fixed tailwheel that looks better than the one supplied.

With the tail end on hold took a look at the engine mounting last night. First impressions are that the 120AX and Pitts muffler I have will fit quite nicely into the cowl. Will need to space the supplied mount out about 1/2 from the firewall to get the engine far enough forward, no bad thing to get some weight further forward though.

Progress is slow due to demands of flying, maintenance on the existing fleet and the occasional domestic duty!

Terry
Old 11-21-2007, 12:43 AM
dvs1

Here is a pic of the drop tank and the ordinace pylon I have shaped, glassed and primed. I have set this up with a quick release because I plan to make
or puchase more drop tanks from KMP depending on the cost to use as air droppable tanks. I will also plan to paint and weather this tank as a static display tank.
I will be building the rest of the pylon setup soon. If anyone has some pics of theirs or the real deal I would appreciate it so I can try to get it looking somewhat like it should.
It will be getting cold here this weekend so I plan to start working more on this plane soon. Hopefully my engine will be showing up any day now.[sm=teeth_smile.gif]

Name:	Qn38423.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	808407  
Old 11-22-2007, 01:00 PM
bladerunner1955
My Feedback: (72)

Hey Denny, what a beautiful job on the maiden of your electric 20 pound monster. The landing was the best part besides the nice rolls. Anyone fly one yet besides my buddy Denny? Even at 20 pounds it flew very nice, but Denny is a good stick with the warbirds. Later Denny. Have a nice Thanks Giving day, nice way to start the day with the maiden of your FW 190.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:18 AM
ticketec

ORIGINAL: dvs1

Here is a pic of the drop tank and the ordinace pylon I have shaped, glassed and primed. I have set this up with a quick release because I plan to make
or puchase more drop tanks from KMP depending on the cost to use as air droppable tanks. I will also plan to paint and weather this tank as a static display tank.
I will be building the rest of the pylon setup soon. If anyone has some pics of theirs or the real deal I would appreciate it so I can try to get it looking somewhat like it should.
It will be getting cold here this weekend so I plan to start working more on this plane soon. Hopefully my engine will be showing up any day now.[sm=teeth_smile.gif]

Hey Dvs1,

Great job on that tank!!

If you find somewhere that sell's the KMP drop tanks on their own let me know cos i'm looking for one myself. Here are some pic's that i took at IWM London at the start of last year. This ETC 501 rack is missing the long fairing that is normally fitted aft of the rack.

Thanks

Dave

Name:	Xv64836.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	809685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47313.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	809686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz66825.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	809687  
Old 11-23-2007, 08:22 AM
mobyal

ORIGINAL: bladerunner1955

Hey Denny, what a beautiful job on the maiden of your electric 20 pound monster. The landing was the best part besides the nice rolls. Anyone fly one yet besides my buddy Denny? Even at 20 pounds it flew very nice, but Denny is a good stick with the warbirds. Later Denny. Have a nice Thanks Giving day, nice way to start the day with the maiden of your FW 190.
You mean someone's actually gotten one of these things in the air? Is there a video? Pics?
Congrats!!
Old 11-23-2007, 10:09 PM
dvs1

Dave,

Thanks for the pics, Those are much better showing the setup than any pics I have. Don't think it will be that big of a deal to mock something up.
As this isn't a fully scale plane I'm not going to go all out or anything but would like to build something close.

As far as I know I have no idea if KMP is selling these separate yet, and I don't know of someone who is willing to part with one. I have yet to call KMP and ask
them if they are sold separate. If they do I will for sure let you know.

Curt
Old 11-25-2007, 02:26 PM
bladerunner1955

I shot the complete flight of Dennys maiden. I just don't know how to get it to transfer onto this site yet?? Maybe I will just shoot it with my little camera off the TV for now, then I can get it into this tread for you guys to at least see some of it..
Old 11-25-2007, 02:59 PM
bladerunner1955

Sorry about the copy off the TV, but untill I figure out how to get it right this will have to do. [img][/img] I keep getting ....Not supported when I try to load from my documents. I saved it as a clip????
Old 11-26-2007, 10:32 PM
dvs1

Today was a good day, I received my BCMA26 engine. Mounted it up and things look pretty good....
Except for one little detail. The engine did not quite fit like I had planned. Carb, cylinder head and muffler fit
without any problems but the spark plug boot will not fit in the cowl. I rotated the engine in a similar fashion to how
the SisT FW-190 mounts its recommended engine the G45 or 62 so that the plug will fit in the engine blister. But it is
just not quite enough. The problem arises because the blister does not go far enough forward. The spark plug is just
touching the forward part of the blister where it blends back into the cowl. If the blister was 1/2 inch longer it would be
perfect. Soooooo, what I plan to do is remove about a half an inch from the front of the cowl blister and build it up with
fiberglass, sand and paint. Not really that big of a process so I am not concerned too much. If a person wanted to all would
be needed is putting a small hole in the cowl and let the plug stick through slightly but my goal was complete enclosure.

Name:	Ec89705.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	813075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70419.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	813076  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.