Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 11:00 PM
dvs1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

Hello everyone,

I figured I would start off this build thread for the new KMP/YT FW-190. This is my first KMP plane and I can see already it
will not be my last. This thing is built fantastic. There has been alot of people unhappy with the scale features of this plane and
I personally love it. There are some things that are off but that didnt stop me from buying it. I encourage every one to please post
their pictures and comments about their build with this plane on this thread. I would love to see other peoples builds and mods to
this plane with my own. I will try to keep this thread updated with my latest progress. Currently I have only managed to mock it up
to look at it overall and started with the wing by epoxying the control surfaces to the wing. I will wait to see how the KMP retracts look
if I am not happy when I receive them I will get some made by Sierra. I plan to put a gasser in this plane but have not decided
on which one yet. Plans also include a semi scale cockpit, scale guns, and relocate the tail gear to the scale location. I will post a side
view for those that are dying to see it.

Later,
Curt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42304.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	771716  
Old 09-28-2007, 09:33 AM
Johnnie Red

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

Hey dvs1

That's an interesting plane you've got there. keep us posted man. It looks gorgeous. I think I'll buy one pretty soon.
Kind regards
J.R.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:37 PM
dvs1

Okay,
I've started on the wings by epoxing the ailerons and flaps to the hinges and then to the wing sections,
and I have started installing some of the wing servos. Hopefully I will receive my retracts soon so I
can get the wing finished up and move onto the fuselage.
I'll get some pics posted soon of the wing progress as well as some close up shots of the rest of the plane.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a gasser in this plane. I would like it completely enclosed in the cowl.
The G-20 would fit but I dont think it has the power I'm looking for, and I'm afraid the G26 will stick out. Any other
suggestions for a gasser with electronic ignition and experiences would be appreciated.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:07 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take a look at the http://bcmaengines.com/BCMA26.htm there fairly compact and they have a pits style muffler as well as the side dump
Old 09-30-2007, 05:25 PM
alanc

what sticks out of the cowl? will a carb bend help with the 26?
Old 09-30-2007, 06:01 PM
dvs1

ORIGINAL: alanc

what sticks out of the cowl? will a carb bend help with the 26?
The carb would a little but I am more worried about the top of the head, especially the spark plug.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:57 PM
H8Basher

I have just started mine also. I wasn't happy with the location of the hinges (my flaps and ailerons were all about 2-3mm more outboard than they should have been) so have fixed that first.
Also, one of the gear doors did not fit the wing properly. I compared both wings and both doors and it seemed like it was the wing that was at fault. This was easily fixed with a little trimming with a knife.
My kit was delivered with the retracts, oleos and aluminum wheels. (bought in Australia from my LHS) They seem to be OK from my limited testing, but do seem to have a little more play than you would have from a premium set. This would be fairly easy to fix with a little machine work. The long legs magnify the situation, so you get about 3/8" of movement in each direction at the wheel.

Overall, I am really impressed with the quality of this kit. There are some really innovative techniques used in the construction, particularly the fiberglass backed up with a thin hard foam layer on the wings.

Mine will be powered by a Saito 170 radial, which I hope to have delivered in the next week or two.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:23 PM
dvs1

I too had a small problem with the ailerons, but the flaps went together great. I did finally get the ailerons
to fit Ok with the recommended throws.

The Saito 170 would be a great combo with this plane,
however I just cant handle the glow mess anymore
hence I want to try and get a gasser to fit.
But if you could get a scale Keleo exaust built for your engine
that would look sweet.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:19 AM
H8Basher

I'm quite handy with a TIG welder (if I do say so myself ) so I will make my own exhaust for the Saito. I am trying to decide whether to exit the exhaust in the scale location (4 each side I think ???) or out the bottom of the cowl. I'm not so much worried about the mess the side exits will make, but I am concerned they would block off too much airflow from escaping the cowl. I am reluctant to progress too far with the build untill I get the engine. I plan to do the basics (fit control surfaces, retracts, join the wing etc...) then mount the engine and see how much I will need to move the radio gear around to get the C/G right.

One thing I am thinking of doing is removing some material from the wooden block on the fuse where the rudder hinges attach. It seems to be made of a fairly hard (and I assume heavy) piece of wood, and there would be no harm in removing some material there. This should help a little with getting the balance right.

What do you think about the hinges? mine has big ones for the ailerons, but smaller ones elswhere. I was thinking of stepping up the size of the small ones to some robarts (at least for rudder and elev.) My kit didn't come with the blocks shown in the instructions to support the hinges either.

I am also concerned about the friction of the fiberglass pushrods for the elevators. Might change it to solid carbon tubes, and get rid of the guide tubes. That reminds me, I got all the hardware for the rudder pull/pull, except the cable. Did yours come with the kit? Good excuse to upgrade to kevlar anyway I suppose....
Old 10-01-2007, 12:41 AM
dvs1

Your right about the exaust exiting 4 on each side. I would think you would be able to make it fit and have enough airflow.
There seem so be quite about of area for exiting air. But the size of your pipe would definately be a factor.

As far as the hinges go I aggree with you I think that the flaps ar OK but I am thinking of stepping up a size for the Rudder
and Elevator. My kit didnt come with the half moon blocks pictured either but in reality I dont know how I would make
them work anyway. So far all control surfaces have butted right up againts the wing or really close and I have my servos
hooked up to all wing surfaces and I have exactly the amount of throws the manual states, 20mm for ailerons and 30mm for flaps.
but with the hinges fully seated the way the wing is designed I cant get anymore out of them if I needed it though.

To the fiberglass pushrods I cant say for sure I havent got that far yet. But I do know that my kit did come with the cable.

I really would like to get my gear I would like to see if they are up to my satisfaction. If not I will most likely order a set from Sierra.
I need fairly sturdy landing gear from the area I fly off of.

After more thought I think I will incorporate the fuel tank as well with some sort of release mechanism I will have to find some actual pics
to see how it is done on the full scale version.

I really want to install a scale tailwheel as well but as of right now I havent figured out the best way to do that yet.
I'll try to post some pics of my progress soon. I have to many things going right now and only get to work on this plane about an hour a night.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:54 AM
dvs1

For those out there reading I will post a pic of the exaust ports we are talking about.

Name:	Zx71233.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	773956  
Old 10-01-2007, 12:57 AM
dvs1

As promised here are some pics of one wing, top fuselage view and cowl size in relation to my 75LB Lab Sarah.

Name:	Nl28574.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	773957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11419.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	773958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52732.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	773959  
Old 10-01-2007, 02:49 AM
H8Basher

Hey dvs1, when you drilled the holes for the horns, was there enough meat there to attach them with self tapping screws? I know it's probably not a good idea, but I was thinking of not having the plate on the top surface of the wing for aesthetic reasons.
It would look much better without them, but obviously the result of the horn coming loose could look a lot worse.....[:@]

edit: it is only applicable to the ailerons, as the split flap hides the plate.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:49 AM
Redback

Looking forward to joining this thread real soon, expecting mine any time now

Not sure yet what motor to use, have also been thinking about a 26 gasser but not sure if it will provide enough grunt. Have the compulsory Lab already though, 88lbs called Sam.

Tery
Old 10-01-2007, 12:44 PM
alanc

first off nice to see you all getting stuck into the 190,

re the retracts, there are 2 cross braces with holes drilled through, these are to enable you to loosen off the cap heads screws on the ends, and revolve the shaft, why? the ends that fit into the side plates are eccentric, move the cross brace, watch the shaft move in, or out, good eh?

now the horns, and please understand, THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL MODIFICATION, some of the guys over here have screwed the retaining screw in, removed it, and applied thin cyno to the threads cut in the hole, then replaced the screw, and nipped it up, so far, no losses, but i emphaise, THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL, but it is the way i am going to try, if it comes unstuck, so to speak, you are on your own,
get the hole as small as possible, to get as much thread as possible,

hope some of this helps,
Old 10-01-2007, 01:59 PM
dvs1

There seemed to be enough meat to hold the screw in. Like alanc said, I already drilled my ailerons but might modify that. But if I do what you are saying I will probably use small sheet metal screws.
They have coarser threads and more likely to hold onto the CA'd structure.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:25 PM
dvs1

Redback,

Hope to see you soon building and adding to this thread.

I think you will be quite happy with this newest addition from KMP.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Redback

Shouldn't be long, credit card got debited yesterday so a big box should be on it's way right now!

Even better is the fact that the wife is away this week so no trouble sneaking the box in. Once I get it past the border defences I just pass it off as a kit I bought ages ago

Had a yearning for a FW190 for some time ago, seems that the TF kit has been discontinued.

NEWS UPDATE - the FW190 just arrived at work a couple of minutes ago

Terry
Old 10-01-2007, 07:01 PM
dvs1

Ok guys whether or not it is an official mod I have begun to do my control surfaces with slightly larger screws, using CA
glue to reinforce. I like the aesthetic reasons myself so I have eliminated the upper mounting plate
Old 10-01-2007, 07:51 PM
H8Basher

I think I'll use robart horns as this will give me 3 screws. This along with the CA as suggested (note I didn't say recommended ) by alanc should be plenty strong enough.
I'll check out the retracts tonight in relation to the adjustable shaft.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:21 PM
dvs1

I've finished installing the control horns in my wing and I have to say that even with two screws, It feels like the horn
will definately break before the aileron fails. But if you add the vibration factor in there that could be interesting. I'll just
keep an eye on them the first couple of flights. I like your Idea of using 3 screw horns, extra protection. But I'm not worried
about how mine is set up. I have faith, at least until it crashes.[sm=lol.gif]
Old 10-02-2007, 10:38 PM
dvs1

Well tonight I joined my wing halves together. All that is left to do on the wing is install retracts when I get them from KMP.
I would also like to install some scale wing guns. If anyone has some close up pics of an FW-190A8 wing guns I would appreciate it.

So tomarrow I guess I will start work on the Fuselage. Also if anyone knows anyone that sells 1/6 scale cockpit kits for the FW let
me know I would like to do one but dont want to have to scratch build one.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:40 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

more pics!please,I feel like Oliver asking for poridge being the first thread on this plane the curiosity is killing me.
as much as the debate rages on the particulars of scale accuracy of this plane it is looking pretty good here is a site with some good close up photo's for you http://fw190.hobbyvista.com/detail.htm ,the burning question for 650$ you didn't get any retracts included?, kmp says that they are part of the ARF package.
http://www.kmp.ca/product_info.php?c...roducts_id=167
Old 10-03-2007, 08:59 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey guy's

Does anyone have any pic's of the drop tank that comes with the kit? is it ABS or glass?

For the aussie fella's, how much did the kit end up setting you back?

Thanks

dave
Old 10-03-2007, 10:53 AM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

all

YOU WILL BE RECEIVING YOUR RETRACTS and STRUTS, WHEELS soon... THE FACTORY shipped them separately and all CUSTOMERS with KMP BEARCATS and FW -190s have this delay in the initial shipment... No worries.. YOU WILL BE TAKEN care of....

THEY ALL INCLUDE the RETRACTS, OLEOS, WHEELS...

http://www.vqwarbirds.com/products/aircraft/FW190.html
http://www.vqwarbirds.com/products/a...t/BEARCAT.html

SHIPPING was delayed... But instead of delaying the shipping of the BEARCATS and FW-190s ... they shipped the aircraft.... the items are coming asap per the last communication with KMP HEADQUARTERS!!!

Here is a copy of KMP HEADQUARTERS POST from the BEARCAT THREAD....

-CHEERS
TOMAS
[email protected]
www.vqwarbirds.com

RE: KMP F8-F Bearcat - 10/3/2007 2:26:41 PM
Paul Morrison
Status: offline I certainly apologize for the misinformation twax4real.

I was unaware that they were missing until after the boxes had been sent. The factory notified us and told us that they wanted to use a better aluminum in the retracts, struts and wheels, to make them somewhat more durable, and they had been on the recieving end of a supply problem.

When I became aware I called every customer that I knew of that had recieved these models, and I personally explained the problem and promised to send the retracts, struts and alloy wheels when I recieve them from the factory. I talked to the factory on Friday, and they said at that time that they should be sent on Saturday (weekends are different in China, Saturday is a business day!). I have not recieved them yet, but will shortly. When I do each person will get a set.

twax4real, if you could email me at: [email protected] (please do not use the board PM function), I will make sure you are on the list, since I apparently forgot to give you a call with the others. Alternately, you can phone me at 1-888-968-7251 and I'll make sure you're going to get a set.

This information also pertains to the FW-190's, which are missing what the bearcats are missing, and the Bonanzas are likewise missing the nose strut.

Of course we regret that such an error was made in the first place, but we stand behind our product and our customers, and we will come through on this. Its a beautiful plane.

Paul Morrison,
Sales, Media Design, Customer Service, Garbage man, web designer, Man of Many Hats, ------- KMP

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.