Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

H-9 P-51 Cooling?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 07:40 AM
rslstft
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H-9 P-51 Cooling?

I have finished my H-9 Mustang, while it came out a little heavier than I hoped for, (added glow driver, Robart retacts with struts and gyro) it should be ok with the installed Saito 100. I got to looking at the cowling and began to think there wasn't enough cooling air outlet, yet I hate to cut more away then I have to. I would appreciate hearing from fellow H-9 Mustang owners(especially those with 100's installed) about any cooling problems or how much you cut out of the cowling. I haven't flown the plane yet (too busy with work), but have taxied it around and it seemed ok, but I know that isn't the same as flying it. Thanks guys.

Russ
Old 03-29-2003, 03:26 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just opened up the bottom of the cowl and didn't have any overheating problems....and yes, I had a Saito 100 installed.

Jerry
Old 03-29-2003, 03:34 PM
KJSmitty

Same with me,
Opened the front of cowl and required area around valve covers. Saito 100 - No issues
Old 03-29-2003, 04:39 PM
Bob Payne
My Feedback: (8)

I am almost ready to start mine, tired of looking at it sitting in the box,
I was at the huntsville show last weekend there were a few there
some had motors right side up and some (most) were inverted.
what is the norm for this plane? I would say inverted, the ones i saw right side up had os 60fx's 2 not really warbird sounding in the air I bet.
I'm planning on mounting my 91fs inverted should i watc out for anything.?

Thanks

also is anyone glassing anypart of the wing on this bird?
does not look like it would need it but just ????
Old 03-29-2003, 09:37 PM
KJSmitty

Hi Bob,
My Saito 100 is inverted as per instructions. I also installed the tank back against the cross member just forward of the receiver/throttle servo area. Its almost perfectly over the CG. I also lowered the tank to center it at carb level if not a tad below. I had a flooding issue prier to doing that with the inverted engine...
Things I did other than stock:

-Beefed upped inner fire wall to fuselage area and re-epoxied inner and outer firewall.

-Installed blind nuts vs using just screws on the 4 cowl mounts (beefed up inner fuseloge area with 3/32 plywood under blind nuts)

-Installed Perry oscillating pump due to tank positioning

-(a must) removed mech retracts and installed Spring Air pneumatics ($120 direct) along with 3/16 wires and 3.5 inch wheels (standard servo ops works great, had to fabricate new wheel well openings etc, minimal modification to existing mounts req)

That’s about it... Nothing extra on the wings, I will admit I’ve had a few nasty landings and I would say the "light" wing has held up outstanding..... That’s all my ego will admit to...

I installed the 4.8 battery right under the large blind nuts for the aft wing mount. The aircraft required no extra weight and balanced perfectly both dry and wet.

Let me know if I can offer any other info

Smitty
Old 03-30-2003, 02:11 PM
Bob Payne
My Feedback: (8)

Originally posted by KJSmitty
Hi Bob,

-(a must) removed mech retracts and installed Spring Air pneumatics ($120 direct) along with 3/16 wires and 3.5 inch wheels (standard servo ops works great, had to fabricate new wheel well openings etc, minimal modification to existing mounts req)

Let me know if I can offer any other info

Smitty
Thanks for the info, do you have a # and website for the Spring air's
Old 03-30-2003, 02:46 PM
KJSmitty

Morning Bob,

http://www.retracts.com/index.htm

Above is the link for "Spring Air". I called the number and spoke/ordered from them direct. Just tell him its for the H9-P51 and he will set you up. I got the retract units, 3/16 wire struts, air tank, fittings, tubing, up/down valve-switch, air restrictor, and universal filling valve. The total was a little over $140 but I asked for 15% off ( as directed by another RCUniverse member) and they said no problem! Do the same.

The air restrictor works great in making the gear operation look more scale and keep them from slamming up and down - I would call it a must. The universal filling valve is actually the same size/look as a the end of a bike/car tire valve stem. This way I could use one of my ultra small bike pumps vs paying $30-40 bucks for an actual air retract pump. Works like a charm.

*** I believe the part number to the Spring Air retracts fitting the H9-P51 was #104 but can't remember. When I spoke to the gentleman and mentioned the H9 he knew right off.. (You probably already know this, but ensure they are the 85 degree set, otherwise they would be 90 degrees to the wing and angle outward. I just know I didn't think about it at first...)

Happy building

Smitty