Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Flaps on GP P-51

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2002, 09:11 AM
Jack Devine
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flaps on GP P-51

Don: The early Top Flight red box kits did exactly what you are describing. They split the Aileron into two sections and used the inner half on each side as a flap. I had the P-51 and the P-40 and both of them flew fine in that configuration. The flaps were effective even though they are small chord wise compared to a scale flap. I used the same set up on a Nor Cal BT-13 and it worked great on that airplane too. If you do it run seperate servos on each flap. It's easier to set up and you have much more positive control of the flap. Keep the top gap on the flap nice and tight too. That really will improve stability. You might also want to add a scale fillet on the fuselage as that lets you put a positive stop on the inboard edge of the flap. Good luck with your P-51.

Jack Devine
Warbird Forum Moderator