Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Spitfire movie on HBO

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Spitfire movie on HBO

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 01:38 AM
KP.
My Feedback: (77)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spitfire movie on HBO

Try to catch Dark Blue World on HBO this month, it came out in 2001, there is a good plot and a lot of spitfire scenes......Ken
Old 03-28-2003, 02:04 AM
Grumpy Monkey
My Feedback: (7)

KP,
I was just channel surfing and caught the last half of it. It definately had some cool Spit action. Comes on again on Saturday and then Tuesday morning on HBO Signature.

Warren
Old 03-28-2003, 02:08 AM
Bish Wheeler

Default Dark BluE World

I came on line with the intention of telling ya'all to watch this flick, but KP beat me to it.

I just watched the movie and I gotta tell ya, if the sight and sound of a "Spit" at full throttle on a low pass doesn't make you jump and yell, then you probably don't need to see this movie, but if it gets your blood up like it does mine, then don't miss it.

Some of the best aerial photography I have ever seen. Where they got all those MK V and IX Spits I don't know, not to mention the Me109's. I'm sure a lot of it was computer generated and some of the film was of models (as the credits confirmed), but none the less, it is a great "flying" movie.

Where "Pearl Harbor" missed, this one hits. There is the usual and required romance (after all is is WWII) but take it from me, as a pilot, a historian and as a modeler, this movie cooks.

Bish
K7QCP
Old 03-28-2003, 01:51 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone tell me when on saturday it is on? I'll wake my gf up for the romance scenes...
Old 03-28-2003, 03:43 PM
Bruno Stachel
My Feedback: (4)

I rented it from Blockbuster about a month ago. Try to see the DVD. There are some very intersting clips about the filming of the movie and it's special effects.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:01 PM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

Attributed to [email protected] on IMDB:

"This is a Czech-German production with the dialogue half in Czech and half in English made by the Czech father and son, writer and director, team of Zdenek and Jan Sverak who brought us the delightful Oscar-winning `Kolya' in 1997...

"The film – titled `'Tmavomodry svet' in Czech - focuses on two contrasting personalities: Spitfire pilots Franta Slama (played by Ondrej Vetchy) and Karel Vojtisek (Krystof Hadek). I'm sure that it's not too much to assume that the names of these two characters are illusions to Josef Frantisek, who shot down 17 fighters in the Battle of Britain, and Karel Kuttelwascher (my wife's father), who shot down 15 bombers on night intruder raids plus three fighters...

"On the aircraft front, viewers might be surprised to learn that there were only two flying Spitfires in the movie: Nigel Lamb flew Spitfire Mk Vb (BM597) from Duxford and Robs Lamplough flew Spitfire Mk.VIIIc (MV154) which he owns. All the other fighters were there due to the marvels of computer graphics and modelling plus some clever recycling of material from the 1969 film `The Battle Of Britain'. However, in a short scene, there is a lovely flying shot of a B-25 Mitchell bomber. Meanwhile on the ground, in an erotic opening scene, we see the pre-war Czechoslovak fighter the Avia B-534."

By the way, according to the HBO web site, the only two remaining showings are 12:30PM EST 3/29 (tomorrow) on HBO Signature, and 5:45AM 4/8 on MoreMAX.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:19 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys....i'll pick it up from blockbuster. also, that way i can just ffwd through the romance scenes and i don't have to wake her up.
Old 03-28-2003, 05:57 PM
Bruno Stachel

If I recall correctly, it cost the producers a $1,000 an hour for each Spitfire to fly during the filming of the movie.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:34 PM
kaboomski

One of the best warbird movies ever!

See the trailer at www.darkblueworld.com.

Actually the cost was 10000$ per hour...

--kaboomski;
Old 03-30-2003, 02:44 AM
Bruno Stachel

Originally posted by kaboomski

Actually the cost was 10000$ per hour...
Oops! That's right. I guess I was thinking of my last car repair!