Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CMPro P-51 (50 size) test flight crash

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CMPro P-51 (50 size) test flight crash

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Rob2007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CMPro P-51 (50 size) test flight crash

I have recently finished CMPro's 50 size P-51 Mustang which I decided to test fly on Wednesday, the aircraft was powered by an OS 46 AX and finished, balanced etc as per the instructions.

The test flight was one the worst experiences I have had with an RC aircraft. Once the engine was properly set up and the aircraft range checked took it out onto the field for its maiden flight, and boy was I in for an extreme flight.

I opened the throttle for take off, gave it a bit of rudder to keep it on track and it left the ground and proceeded to enter a prop hanging position, I couldn't believe it, surely the C of G couldn't be so far out that the aircraft would want to go completely vertical. I couldn't seem to do much with it and it went over on to its back so I distinctively pushed down elevator for inverted flight, however I had full down elevator and it was sinking, this doesn't ring true if the aircraft was tail heavy. By this point the aircraft was coming towards me so I decided to shut the thottle and ditch.

The aircraft unfortunately did a cartwheel and has done quite alot of damage to the fibreglass fuselage.

Has anybody got any ideas as to what went wrong or has anybody had any similar experiences with CMPro's war birds.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:46 AM
Red B.

Default RE: CMPro P-51 (50 size) test flight crash

The most probable cause is a tail-heavy condition. Did you check the C.G. before flight?
Because you entered invert flight from a prop-hanging attitude you airspeed was probably
very low. If the wing was stalled down elevator would not help in maintaining altitude.

Too bad...
Old 10-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Ryan I.
My Feedback: (4)

Sounds to me like the CG was off and the plane was tail heavy. As was mentioned, you were probably flying too slow and were in a stall condition, making your control surfaces useless. Sorry about the rough first flight
Old 10-26-2007, 03:49 PM
bassfisher
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience with CMP Models (I have the .50 size Zero) is that the CG in the instructions is way off. You can look up the CMP Zero thread. I believe in the main spar balance point system. Yours is no the first CMP Mustang that has gone it because of the factory CG being wrong. I saw one at my field go in from about 10' after take-off. I have learned with my Zero to also add balsa longerons inside the fuse to add strength. The Fuse on my Zero was too soft. The longerons didn't add that much extra weight.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:13 PM
Sturtz
My Feedback: (20)

Rob,,, they are not the best flying warbird CMP has to offer that's for sure. I cg'd mine slightly nose heavy the first few flights and found it to nose over on landings much worse than my other warbirds ever did. It has a bad stall tendency as well and if doing hammerheads you want to keep it nice and high. It's small and heavy. Not a good combo. I took it along to the field this summer and had a decent flight on it. "If you don't count the stalling." Flew a larger plane several flights and got back on the little P51 . It ground looped on me as well. Got it fixed and ready to go but I sure don't love this bird much. Saito .72 , 13x6 APC.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25183.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	791017  
Old 10-27-2007, 06:43 AM
Hisham

Rob2007,

do u still remember where was ur CG located on this plane???
am assembling mine am just waiting for the incowl muffler to arrive.

Hisham
Old 10-27-2007, 07:20 AM
Rob2007

This plane was actually my first venture into scale and I have clearly made a poor choice, can anybody suggest a good flying warbird for next attempt.

Hisham, I balanced mine as the instructions which was 85mm back from the leading edge and 1800mm out from the centre of the wing, clearly this was way off, I would suggest you contact the manufacturer/distributor to see if this value has been revised.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:15 AM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sturtz

Rob,,, they are not the best flying warbird CMP has to offer that's for sure. I cg'd mine slightly nose heavy the first few flights and found it to nose over on landings much worse than my other warbirds ever did. It has a bad stall tendency as well and if doing hammerheads you want to keep it nice and high. It's small and heavy. Not a good combo. I took it along to the field this summer and had a decent flight on it. "If you don't count the stalling." Flew a larger plane several flights and got back on the little P51 . It ground looped on me as well. Got it fixed and ready to go but I sure don't love this bird much. Saito .72 , 13x6 APC.

COOOOOOL pic. Looks very real till I enlarged the photo! Jon
Old 10-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Billville

ORIGINAL: Rob2007

This plane was actually my first venture into scale and I have clearly made a poor choice, can anybody suggest a good flying warbird for next attempt.

Hisham, I balanced mine as the instructions which was 85mm back from the leading edge and 1800mm out from the centre of the wing, clearly this was way off, I would suggest you contact the manufacturer/distributor to see if this value has been revised.

World Models .46 and .60 size Mustangs fly very nice.

BTW, the yellow .46 size Mustang looks BAD in the advertisements on the Web, but in the air, looks the BEST by far, in my opinion.. It really stands out. The .60 size has flaps and flies bigger and is more forgiving.

This is assuming you are ready for a Warbird.

Bill
Old 10-28-2007, 12:59 AM
jeffk464

If you wait till december you can get the new top flight 60 arf mustang. It will be the best flying, best looking small mustang out by a long shot.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:10 PM
Norm Nestie

ORIGINAL: Rob2007

Now getting passionate about warbirds and am building the TF Spitfire but in the meantime have been flying a Richmodel Spit arf from AK Models. Looks not bad and is a GREAT flying plane.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:49 PM
jmohn

The CMPs are a little heavier than other models. If you get the CG right they fly fine, just don't slow down too much on your approach. I have had several and like the bigger Hellcat and zero the best so far. The P40 was a fast and unforgiving plane and needed a lot of speed to land nicely. You may want to try a Hanger 9 or Top Flight P51 as they are lighter and have more wing. As far as scale goes the CMPs are hard to beat!

Sorry about your loss! My P40 burned up in flight
Old 10-30-2007, 06:21 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Hi

If you have the CMP 54" span one, I have a Magnum 52 in mine with around a four ounce brass prop nut . With my cg location, its a very forgiving and docile version of the P-51D.

Name:	Nl30270.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	793741  
Old 10-30-2007, 06:28 PM
SCALECRAFT

A pic of my Cg location. Retracts retracted and model inverted. No fuel.

Name:	Ol31428.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	793754  
Old 12-15-2007, 12:37 AM
wdrosa

I agree with you that the cg is off. I have purchased 2 of the same aircraft. The first one was a nightmare in flite. The second one was no different. I purchased mine from Raiden tech. When I called to let them know that I was dissapointed with this product, they told me that I was the first one to complain about this P-51 50. They told me that they would send me another one after I ship the recked one back to them. So far no new mustang. I geuss if they ever send me a new one I will have a very nice scale static display. Sorry about your bad luck. I guess we should have researched this plane better.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Larry S
My Feedback: (6)

Sorry to see someone lose a plane but like others, I will bet the CG was way off. I had a CMP 50 Corsair and I balanced it just as the directions said and what a handfull it was to fly. I got it to fly and landed it alright but off to the shop. I moved the CG almost, if I remember right, a full inch forward then what the plans had said it should be and tried it again. What a difference that made and it turned out to be one of the best warbirds I ever flew until the day my received battery shorted out and end of plane. I have an idea your P 51 had the same problem.
Larry
Old 12-15-2007, 11:29 PM
Oosiksmith
My Feedback: (1)

I have their P-51 140, 71.5 inch wingspan version and haven't flown it yet; the instructions that came with it didn't give the CG or the control throws. To anyone who has flown that plane successfully, what was the CG and throws you used?
Old 05-02-2008, 05:57 PM
edmoor

cmp arf's.....dont trust anything they say about the center of gravity on any plane.....they are way off course here. my 182 skylane was very tail heavy.....my p-51 mustang was very nose heavy......i always revert to the old rule.....30% of the wing chord will get you flying fine....them cmp planes are way off. i cant understand their way of thinking here to publish this info. in the kits. i contacted them 3 times on my 182.....about it....i never heard anything back....i contacted nitro models....never heard anything back....they got my money....i guess thats all they care about. this is just my 2 cents worth here. and also....them fiberglass pushrods with them itty bitty set screws.....better epoxy them in place......they WILL VIBTRATE LOOSE. i epoxied even all my wires into them tubes....during an engine break in....i had all of them set screws come out....and i even used loktite on them....the major one was the elevator pushrods....they were all gone.....rattling around in the bottom of my fuse. pay attention here!!!!
Old 05-02-2008, 06:20 PM
bigtim

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hangar-9 Mustangs fly well and have a good slow fly attitude,with all thats been said about CMP planes they should put a warning,don't try to fly this thing following the instructions provided.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:41 PM
KentuckyColonel

Having lost my WillHobby FW 190 on her maiden last Tuesday, I feel your pain! I had a CMP 50 size P-40 and she went in on her third flight. I know of nobdy who has had any success with a CMP 50 size warbird. I'm sure they are out there.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:26 AM
Brad330l

Do a search in this forum and there is a lot of info and sad stories about this particular model.

Sorry for your loss. Be comforted to know you are not alone.

Brad
Old 05-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Larry S

I know of nobdy who has had any success with a CMP 50 size warbird.
Sorry to burst your bubble but I had a 50 size CMP Corsair that flew great once the CG was figured out. Lost it due to bad battery pack.
Emoore: I used the glass rods but made up my own ends. If someone builds this plane according to the directions using the hardware that comes with it, you'll have problems. I had to take several extra steps when assembling mine but everything worked good. One thing that bugged me was the placement of the machine guns, you think they could at least get that right.
Larry

Name:	Lj22025.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	941980  
Old 05-03-2008, 11:09 AM
jeffk464

I had the 50 sized p47 and it also flew like a turd, but once it was balanced it was flyable.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:12 PM
edmoor

what exactly is the proper method of balancing one of these?....upside down makes no sense to me.....yet....in the up right attitude,,,,,i cant get it find a point. i flip it over....the whole scenario changes. im a die hard high winger....this is my second low winger....i never have had so much trouble as with this cmp p-51. i cant believe what they state on the directions that came with this plane about the location. i even have a small .40 in mine. maybe im confused here.....in the upright flying attitude....on the stand....mine was very nose heavy. i added 1.5 oz. to the tail. i flip the plane upside down....it shows it being tail heavy,.im lost here on this subject.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Larry S

I used a Great Planes C.G. Machine and balanced my Corsair upside down. I just know from experience from having one other CMP Corsair that it was tail heavy in flight yet I had it balanced exactly where the directions said. On the second one, I moved the CG forward which meant I had to add nose weight but very little if I can remember. Reason, when I built the second Corsair, I went with a 60 size motor, glassed the complete inside of the cowl and added some 1/16 ply to the back of the dummy engine. I had moved all my servos as far forward as possible and also move the battery as far forward. All this added weight but usuable weight. I hate adding lead if I have to. NOW, this is a suggestion only, if your P 51 were mine, I reinforce the front of it then move the CG at least 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch forward of the suggestive CG, making it tail heavy on the stand. Then add weight to the nose, if needed, to balance it. IF you can find someone who has this plane and has no problems flying it, that would be better for getting the correct CG.
I won't claim to be an expert on all CMP planes but I do know the 50 size Corsair is a very nice plane when set up right. As for the directions you get, best thing to do is throw them out and use building experience. If you don't have building experience I'm afraid you will have problems. Also I would suggest unless you have experience flying warbirds, have someone who is experienced test fly the plane for you. IF it is still tailheavy, he will have more experience getting it back in one piece.
Larry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.