Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 B-25 ARF: Building and Modifications

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 B-25 ARF: Building and Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 02:11 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 B-25 ARF: Building and Modifications

Craig-
It took a while but I found a spot for the switch and retract filler valve! I think H9 designed the front former on the belly pan so this stuff would fit. I used the plastic CJ tees in my Corsair and B-25 and have not had any leaks...may just be beginners luck. Hope mine performs as well as yours on its first flight. Are you using CJ retracts and what do you think?
Tim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91018.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	822022  
Old 12-09-2007, 04:12 PM
CRG
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That location looks pretty good, I really didn't spend too much time investigating alternatives.

Am using the Robart gear, working very well so far. I think that maybe the Robart tees either have a little mold flash or are not completely round and that's what's causing the leak.

Craig.

ORIGINAL: tevans55

Craig-
It took a while but I found a spot for the switch and retract filler valve! I think H9 designed the front former on the belly pan so this stuff would fit. I used the plastic CJ tees in my Corsair and B-25 and have not had any leaks...may just be beginners luck. Hope mine performs as well as yours on its first flight. Are you using CJ retracts and what do you think?
Tim
Old 12-09-2007, 04:14 PM
reincarnate

Tim...That's exactly where mine ended up. Could be a carbon copy.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:54 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

DAMN: Lost the "EDIT" button already on the Table of Contents post. I intended to add your switch/ air filler locations, but can't do it now. Must be "EDIT" rights expire in abouts 30 days. Oh well, Great Idea, Tim!

CRG: flight reports are very welcome here, I wouldlike to hear of some weights tho. Maybe later? Digital scale are becoming quite affordabe: less than $20 will get you a set that is very accurate. You will probably have to weigh the fuselage and wings seperately, but wouldn't it be nice to know how much it weighs?

On the B-25B tail cone: I purchased another one and am re-doing the fuselage (more sanding and filling). On the first tailcone, I had already cut off the tail of my fuselage and was anticipating having to fabricate a tailcone. End result was that I made the tailcone fit the fuselage, (re-worked the tailcone) and it ended up becoming toosmall. This time, I sanded a lot more off of the fuselage (and had to add filler where balsa was sanded clear thru), and made the fuselage fit the tailcone. End result is much better looking/ more scale. I'll post pics later tonight.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:58 PM
B-262

Corsair Jock,I am also going with the scale size wheels. I came up with 6 5/8" mounting surface to center axle on nose wheel, sound about right? Sounds like the gas powered versions need nose weight, i wonder about my electric version? Thanks Bill
Old 12-09-2007, 06:30 PM
CRG

Corsair,

I have a digital scale that will easily handle the -25, will get you a weight in the next couple days. From the way it flies, it's just right...

Craig.

ORIGINAL: CorsairJock

CRG: flight reports are very welcome here, I wouldlike to hear of some weights tho. Maybe later? Digital scale are becoming quite affordabe: less than $20 will get you a set that is very accurate. You will probably have to weigh the fuselage and wings seperately, but wouldn't it be nice to know how much it weighs?

Old 12-09-2007, 07:30 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

ORIGINAL: B-262
Corsair Jock,I am also going with the scale size wheels. I came up with 6 5/8" mounting surface to center axle on nose wheel, sound about right? Sounds like the gas powered versions need nose weight, i wonder about my electric version? Thanks Bill
I haven't checked out nosewheel strut length yet, I am waiting until I can install the complete main gear to see how high it will set with them.

I HOPE that you are not thinking about a heavy nose wheel to help balance it. Trouble with that is: the more it weighs, the more the center of gravity will shift when you retract it. I am going light on ALL of my wheels, since they all retract rearward and will shift CG toward the tail.

Here is a link to the mains that I am using. Altho they are 4" in (102 mm) diameter, they are actually LIGHTER than the smaller H9 main wheels:
http://ecsvr.com/abm/ShopDisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes
Old 12-10-2007, 09:56 AM
djsdog

Metal tees for Me TOO!

Craig,

Could you send some pics of your switch and filler valve mounting. I am so glad to here your report about the good flying caracteristics of this plane WITH the evo 36's as mine came with the motors and I really did not want modify for bigger ones. When you changed to 11-4 two blades did it make a tremedous difference?

I can't wait to get mine and fly it!!!!!

Denny
Old 12-10-2007, 11:17 AM
CRG

Will try and get a couple pics today.

I have only flown it with the APC 11-5's so can't comment on the performance of the Evolution three bladers. From the way they pulled on the ground though I had no reservations about flying them. Might get another and try them.

Craig.

ORIGINAL: djsdog

Metal tees for Me TOO!

Craig,

Could you send some pics of your switch and filler valve mounting. I am so glad to here your report about the good flying caracteristics of this plane WITH the evo 36's as mine came with the motors and I really did not want modify for bigger ones. When you changed to 11-4 two blades did it make a tremedous difference?

I can't wait to get mine and fly it!!!!!

Denny
Old 12-10-2007, 01:10 PM
CRG

Pictures attached. Switches and valve are far enough outboard that they're out of danger in the event of a gear up landing.

Air valve and servo are mounted on a 1/8" lite ply plate that is glued to the fuselage side. The view in the picture is the l/h fuselage side, forward is to the left. Servo is a DS285 mounted in a plastic servo frame that is ca'd to the plate. The tray they're under is removable with four screws (comes that way in the kit).

Weight is 14lbs. 9ozs. Wing and fuselage weighed separately, it has a little fuel in it but not much.

Craig.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85904.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	822802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55664.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	822803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di11184.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	822804  
Old 12-10-2007, 01:32 PM
djsdog

Craig,

Two switches I take is for two batteries? Is there a reason for this? I'm not being smart, I just don't know. The mounting don't look that bad on the outside and I agree, I don't want to disassemble stuff to charge the battery and the retracts. I've seen some things in this tread about installing the robarts retracts, but did it take much modification or did they just drop in? Did you buy the kit made for the B-25 or peace meal them together?

Denny
Old 12-10-2007, 01:53 PM
CRG

Two switches for two batteries. I put two 1500mAh 5-cell NiMH packs in the battery compartment, run a separate switch for each and plug them into separate ports on the receiver.
The reason is redundancy. Gives me 3000mAh total which is a little bit of an overkill, but I like having it split between two switches. Standard for most all of my models.
I'm happy with the location, easily accessible and the model is 'busy' enough in appearance that they are not really noticed there.

The retracts are the Robarts as supplied in the H9 package ([link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HANB25]HANB25[/link]), and drop right in, just have to drill the mounting holes and install the blind nuts. The bolts and nuts for their installation need to be purchased separately, I think this is mentioned in the manual.

Craig.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:01 PM
djsdog

Craig

Do you ever use any of those battery indicators that tell you how much battery you have left? I've tried them in my planes and like them. I found at least one bad battery that way.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:07 AM
BillPTC

Would be interested in what props and RPM you'll are using with the EVO 36s on the B-25.
I used the EVO 3 blade and could only turn 10,000 RPM. Flight was marginal and lost plane on stall
I talked to Horizon and they said APC 9x6 was bench mark for that engine turning around 12,500. I am going to try these last weekend but when I ran the engine up had a throttle servo go bad. Have to wait to this weekend to try it.
I see some of you are running 10x6 and 11x5.
HELP for data
Bill PTC
Old 12-11-2007, 10:25 AM
BillPTC

Would be interested in what props and RPM you'll are using with the EVO 36s on the B-25. How good are the pulling plane and clinb out speed.
I used the EVO 3 blade and could only turn 10,000 RPM. Flight was marginal and lost plane.
I talked to Horizon and they said APC 9x6 was bench mark for that engine turning around 12,500. I am going to try these last weekend but when I ran the engine up had a servo go bad. Have to wait to this weekend to try it.
HELP for data
Bill PTC
Old 12-11-2007, 12:45 PM
CRG

I haven't used those. No reaon in particular. I have a battery routine I'm very comfortable with and it works so just stick with that. I load check each pack before flight, and turn on each switch separately to ensure the switch is working, then fly.

ORIGINAL: djsdog

Craig

Do you ever use any of those battery indicators that tell you how much battery you have left? I've tried them in my planes and like them. I found at least one bad battery that way.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:47 PM
CRG

My engines were turning the three bladers on the ground at a little over 9000, don't remember the number. I didn't tach the APC 11-5's but the thrust seemed about the same. I'd have no hesitation trying the three blade props, was planning to anyway. Would be surprised if they weren't about the same performance.

One thing to be aware of is that you can't just haul this thing off the ground with the .36's. It's a fair chunk of airplane and takes a little while to get on step. A scale type takeoff with a shallow climb works great. I then make a moderate turn to downwind all the while letting it accelerate. Once it's on step you can go nuts.

Craig.

ORIGINAL: BillPTC

Would be interested in what props and RPM you'll are using with the EVO 36s on the B-25.
I used the EVO 3 blade and could only turn 10,000 RPM. Flight was marginal and lost plane on stall
I talked to Horizon and they said APC 9x6 was bench mark for that engine turning around 12,500. I am going to try these last weekend but when I ran the engine up had a throttle servo go bad. Have to wait to this weekend to try it.
HELP for data
Bill PTC
Old 12-11-2007, 03:58 PM
tevans55

Jim-
The aluminum wing tube is 140 grams and the CF wing tube is 56 grams. I'll have yours in the mail tomorrow. By the way, I have knocked out the wing tube stops in both wings by accident and have had to epoxy and fiberglass them in. Don't know if anyone else has had this problem but those plugs are just hot glued.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:27 PM
BillPTC

CRG;
No problem on slow take off. I do that anyway. I thank I got in trouble when I backed off throttle and could not feel how fast it was going and how long it takes in getting back on step. One of the reasons I am looking for best prop combo,
Bill PTC
Old 12-12-2007, 12:05 PM
CRG

Propeller correction:

Sorry guys, told you the wrong prop. I flew on APC 10-5's not 11's as posted. This weekend I'm going to try the APC 11-4 two blade and the Evo three blade props.

Craig.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:57 PM
CRG

Six flights today. Everything is working great, no trouble at all. Retracts in particular have been working fine, they hold pressure really well and several cycles per flight is no problem.

Tried some different props. First was the Evolution three bladers, I think they are 10.5x4. It flew, but nothing special. The APC 10x5's were better. Next was the APC 11x4, which was outstanding, by far the best prop to use with the .36's. No noticeable reduction in top speed, a coulpe of people thought it was a little faster. Acceleration is noticably improved, which is most likely a function of the extra blade area outside the cowl, and the lower pitch.

A friend had his B-25 there and was running APC 10x6's. It went ok but was a little slower and didn't have the same acceleration, I think the Evo's need to turn up a little more than those props were letting them.

So if using the Evolution .36NT's, I'd absolutely recommend the APC 11x4 two blade props.

Craig.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:03 PM
tevans55

CRG-
I think I have read this entire thread...did you ever come up with a final CG and weight for your bomber?
Thanks,
Tim
Old 12-16-2007, 12:28 PM
CRG

HI Tim,

Weight per post #60, CG per post #48.

Craig.

ORIGINAL: tevans55

CRG-
I think I have read this entire thread...did you ever come up with a final CG and wieght for your bomber?
Thanks,
Tim
Old 12-16-2007, 12:34 PM
CRG

Good flight times are achievable on the supplied tanks with the Evo .36's. I had a couple flights of over 12 minutes, plus start up and taxi, and still enough to shoot a few more approaches. This is with a mix of throttle settings in flight but mostly above half. My motors are set so that they're barely peaked in flight, have a very visible smoke trail against a blue sky. Nine times out of ten the motors will start first time with a snap of the fingers on the spinner nut against compression. First flight of the day I'll run each motor separately to check the tuning, then just clear them before flight each time after that. Have never tached them other than the first ground run in my driveway when new.

CG.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:54 PM
tevans55

Thanks CRG! I appreciate all the good info you are supplying. If you ever have the chance to check the CG with the gear up that would be good info for me. I know its a pain and requires at least five hands but would be interested in the difference between gear up and down.
Thanks again,
Tim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.