Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 B-25 ARF: Building and Modifications

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 B-25 ARF: Building and Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 03:54 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hangar 9 B-25 ARF: Building and Modifications

Just sent you a PM[8D]
Old 12-30-2007, 04:59 PM
CRG
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Saito .56's would sound sweet if you can get them to work. It'll add about 3 ounces per side, which will help with balancing, so no big deal. Only thing that might get sticky is the length, and getting the throttle pushrod located without it interefering somewhere else.

Keep us posted.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:38 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a couple of shots of pitot tube and canister I added to the nose gear above the oleo. One of my pilot friends said that canister may be a dampener for the gear. Still would like to know for sure what it is. The guys at Century Jet made it for me the other day.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53590.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	840768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69010.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	840769  
Old 01-03-2008, 12:16 PM
CRG

My guess is that the cylinder is an accumulator (air) for the oleo. The actual damping is probably achieved by the strut and the oil it contains.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:37 PM
tevans55

CRG-
Thanks for the reply. I googled landing gear accumulator and eventually ended up in the B-25 pilots manual for the landing gear. It indicated that the canister is a shimmy dampener for the nose gear while the plane is taxiing. I really appreciate your input that got me to the actual answer...I've been wondering what that thing was ever since I started working on this plane back in October. It's also pretty nice to know there is a pilots manual online. Thanks again CRG!
Old 01-12-2008, 10:15 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

I recently purchased a Futaba 12FGA 2.4 GHz system to use on my B-25B. I figured that I could easily use all 12 channels on this bird.

Among the things I want to do: utilize 2 throttle servos which can be independently controlled when desired, yet be able to use Idle Down and Throttle Cut on BOTH engines when needed.

I found out tho that this radio system is not very user friendly when it comes to programming for multi-engined aircraft. It appears if it is more suited for 3D/ competition type flying. Nontheles, I spent a lot of time figuring out how to do it, and here is a link to what I came up with:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_68...tm.htm#6897548
Old 01-13-2008, 12:35 PM
BillPTC

Last weekend was very successful flight for my B-25. First weekend was slow roll over on its back and spin in to lake. Combination of stall, going to slow and tail heaver. Replaced fuselage and second weekend was good flight up and down but too slow and visibility problem on gray overcast day. Last weekend was blue sky and replaced three blade prop with APC 11x4 two blade. What a difference. Good pull. After three shots at landing approach final put full flaps down on final and landed like a dream. Now putting on evasion strips for the visibility problem. Will only do top of wing to see if that helps. Have HAN9 P-40 with same colors, OD Green and gray bottom, both flat, and have no problem with visibility.
Bill PTC
Old 01-13-2008, 05:52 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to read of your successful flight. I plan to build a B-25 sooner than later.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:28 PM
modawg73

Engine Choice?

I am looking at the saito 4 strokes, and I have a question. As I look at the specs on the HH website, it looks like all three I am considering (56, 62, 72) have the same distance to the prop washer, 104 mm. So it seems to me that if people are adding weight to the nose to balance it, what would be the negative to going with the biggest engine? I could always limit the top rpms to make it fly more scale.

What are the pros and cons?

Thanks,

Ken "I can't wait until I get my B-25" Moyer
Old 01-18-2008, 08:48 PM
mobyal

Well, now thw website shows that they're due in "early February".
For those who are waiting -- as I am -- for the second run to get in, they were first to arrive in "early December". Then in "late December". Then "mid-January". Then "late January". Now it's as above. And I've already bought everything needed, including the engines! (Evo 46s)
I'm an idiot and certainly should have known better, as I went through this sort of thing w/ H9 waiting for the P47 and the Pn'P 1/4 J3. I thought this would be different, and thet'd meet the scheduled delivery date, as the B25 is simply another run of an already-released and sold-out model. I am an idiot. But H9's gotten me for the last time. In the future I'm not going to purchase another thing from Hanger 9/ Horizon unless I have it in my hands.
[:@]Al[:@]
Old 01-19-2008, 01:18 AM
CRG

The pro is great sound.

The con is routing throttle pushrods.

CG.

ORIGINAL: modawg73

Engine Choice?

I am looking at the saito 4 strokes, and I have a question. As I look at the specs on the HH website, it looks like all three I am considering (56, 62, 72) have the same distance to the prop washer, 104 mm. So it seems to me that if people are adding weight to the nose to balance it, what would be the negative to going with the biggest engine? I could always limit the top rpms to make it fly more scale.

Thanks,

Old 01-19-2008, 01:21 AM
CRG

Mobyal,

Sorry to hear you keep getting set back on delivery dates. It's tough for H9 too though, they're basing their stated date on the best information they have from the supplier. Apart from it being just another container on a big boat somewhere I hear that covering material supply can influence ARF's a fair bit nowdays.

CG.

ORIGINAL: mobyal

For those who are waiting -- as I am -- for the second run to get in, they were first to arrive in "early December". Then in "late December". Then "mid-January". Then "late January". Now it's as above. And I've already bought everything needed, including the engines! (Evo 46s)
I'm an idiot and certainly should have known better, as I went through this sort of thing w/ H9 waiting for the P47 and the Pn'P 1/4 J3. I thought this would be different, and thet'd meet the scheduled delivery date, as the B25 is simply another run of an already-released and sold-out model. I am an idiot. But H9's gotten me for the last time. In the future I'm not going to purchase another thing from Hanger 9/ Horizon unless I have it in my hands.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:51 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Engine Choice?

Thanks,

I wouldnt think dist to prop washer is all that important unless u think you're aft end is shoved back to the firewall ?? I'd be more concerned about dist from center of crank to top of head and whether it'll be poking outa the side of the cowl too much for your taste. Other than that, bigger. IMO, is better. More power in reserve for when you need it can save the whole enchalada for you one day. The only potential negative is whether the rudders' authority can handle full power on one side while the other is dead. A yaw gyro hooked to the rudder channel can help with your reaction to that emergency and give you time to reduce power on the good remaining engine should the rudder authority be insufficient.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:58 PM
highhorse

ORIGINAL: mobyal

I feel your pain, bro. JUST took delivery of 2.4 conversion modules for my 14mz. They were originally due to arrive, as I recall, last JULY (!) and were pushed back 1 or 2 months at a time till now. So I think it's not just HH or even H9. It seems to be the norm to tease the customer with irresponsible and unrealistic delivery dates so the he/ she will wait just a bit longer rather than buy a competing product that's already on the shelf.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:23 PM
treasure

Guys,
As I see it there are two issues you need to be aware of with these product deliveries.
With the manufacturing overseas if there is a supply or engineering issue the manufacturing cycle for that item is not just put aside until the component shows up. It is removed from the production schedule and when the issue is resolved it goes to the back of the manfacturing que and the clock starts over.
With the electronics as testing is done (and I hope there is a lot of testing) problems are found an corrections need to be done. I would much rather have my Radio late and get it correct than to have it on time and full of bugs.
These companies don't intentionally give wrong dates to decieve the customers. They would much rather have it on time so they can sell as early as possible and begin recouping their investments.
We all need to be patient and remember this is a Hobby and should be fun.
Bill
Old 01-19-2008, 10:47 PM
highhorse

That's way too generous of you. IMO. Perhaps I'm just a cynic tho.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:03 AM
wildswan

Finally got my B-25 here in UK. Unfortunately the right wing is compressed by the inner flap as the flap wasn't flat in the box because one of the hinges came out.

This one is probably going back as there isn't any spares at the moment, wonder how long I'll have to wait again having waited 7 months already.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:14 AM
djsdog

ORIGINAL: highhorse

I wouldnt think dist to prop washer is all that important unless u think you're aft end is shoved back to the firewall ?? I'd be more concerned about dist from center of crank to top of head and whether it'll be poking outa the side of the cowl too much for your taste. Other than that, bigger. IMO, is better. More power in reserve for when you need it can save the whole enchalada for you one day. The only potential negative is whether the rudders' authority can handle full power on one side while the other is dead. A yaw gyro hooked to the rudder channel can help with your reaction to that emergency and give you time to reduce power on the good remaining engine should the rudder authority be insufficient.
highhorse,

Can you tell me more about a yaw gyro hooked to the rudder channel?
Old 01-20-2008, 09:34 AM
modawg73

CRG and Highhorse,

Thanks for the help on the engine selection. I don't care about it sticking out the side of the cowl, so I'll probably go with Saito 72s if I ever get my plane.

Thought I was going to have to scrimp on engines, but I got a call out of the blue monday saying that someone was going to pay me $2000 for using previous footage of mine in a commercial. No work for me, and a quick 2 g. I was stoked. Now all I need is my plane.

Ken
Old 01-20-2008, 11:14 AM
CRG

Ken, I'd go with 56's, they're more than enough to fly the airplane and will be more managable in the event of an engine out.

Craig.

CRG and Highhorse,

Thanks for the help on the engine selection. I don't care about it sticking out the side of the cowl, so I'll probably go with Saito 72s if I ever get my plane.

Thought I was going to have to scrimp on engines, but I got a call out of the blue monday saying that someone was going to pay me $2000 for using previous footage of mine in a commercial. No work for me, and a quick 2 g. I was stoked. Now all I need is my plane.

Ken
Old 01-20-2008, 01:52 PM
highhorse

djsdog,

sorry, but the best I caan do is refer you to the forums as I'read about em but not personally used em. The basic idea is that it goes in series w/ the rudder servo and corrects or dampens uncommanded yaws of all types, enine-out yaw being the topic here. Search the multi engine forums, heres a good start for you:

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5857174/anchors_5902243/mpage_1/key_gyro/anchor/tm.htm#[/link]
Old 01-23-2008, 02:59 PM
tevans55

Does anyone see any reason not to use nylon wing bolts in place of the iron/steel ones that come with the B-25? It saves 20 grams of weight.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:28 PM
CRG

As far as strength, they're probably ok if good quality bolts. The weight savings is your call, I wouldn't bother. I would check to make sure both the bolts and blind nuts have properly formed threads and engage sufficiently without excessive resistance.

ORIGINAL: tevans55

Does anyone see any reason not to use nylon wing bolts in place of the iron/steel ones that come with the B-25? It saves 20 grams of weight.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:47 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

ORIGINAL: tevans55
I fully intend to use nylon bolts on mine. In addition to the wing: I intend to use nylon ones to hold on the tail.

My thoughts are: they will be strong enough, unless perform snap rolls, outside loops, or if you crash. If you crash, it is probably better that they DO break.
For the wings, I will also install a verticle alignment dowel, which will also share some of the side to side stress with the bolts.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:40 PM
tevans55

Great idea to use an alignment dowel.
Thanks,
Tim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.