Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top Flite P-39 Restoration

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flite P-39 Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 02:07 PM
sledge_78
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite P-39 Restoration

I am currently restoring a Top Flite P-39 Airacobra (gold edition)and have a question on best solution. Basically, The P-39 is in good shape. The fuselage needed some repair around the nose section. I obtained a fiberglass cowl to replace the broken plastic kit cowl. I have removed most of the Monocote from the front half of the fuselage and have discovered some cracks in the planking on the nose and fuselage . My thoughts are to repair the cracked planking and recover the fuselage. Here is the question.: To further repair and strengthen the nose and fuselage I thought I could apply fiberglass cloth. I'm not sure what the look would be if I monocote over the fiberglass. I'm sure I can blend in the wood and fiberglass surfaces. Can one apply monocote over the fiberglass with good results.? The overall appearance of this is very similar to the Gold Edition camouflage pictured on the kit box cover. Also, what method is best to remove the remaining moncote glue and bits and pieces before I recover?

Gerry
Old 11-22-2007, 03:08 PM
alanc

Default RE: Top Flite P-39 Restoration

all films need to displace air to adhere to a surface, the air generally goes through the timber structure, with glass, it has no-where to go, will stick badly, and will, eventually, bubble up, try getting a paint match at an car paint shop, over in the UK we can get aerosols made up, and they are VERY good in paint match

nice model by the way, flew one to bits 25 years ago,
Old 11-22-2007, 11:26 PM
tigertooth
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Top Flite P-39 Restoration

I am guessing that this the Red Box version and not the Gold Edition? If it is the older Red Box design, the best thing to do is replace the broken wood with new parts. I can send you templates of the parts if you like. I rebuilt most of the front section of my Red Box P-39 a few years back. I dremeled and cut out the broken sections. I then replaced all the wood except the engine mounts. It came out alot lighter than fiberglassing. I use my heat gun to remove all the Monocote. Heat and pull it off. There will still be some covering left depending on what kind of condition the Monocote was plus some adhesive on it. You can also put some lacquer thinner on a rag and wipe off old coating and adhesive off. Let it dry. Lightly sand the remaining imperfections off and fill in with balsa filler if needed. On my P-39, I covered it with silkspan and painted it. The silkspan does add some strenght to the wood and you can primer and fill in as needed. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn38058.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	809662