Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

New composite spitfire

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New composite spitfire

Old 12-05-2007, 06:12 AM
bla bla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New composite spitfire

Hummm, I wouldn't just start cuttung into the wing unless the producer has build in or at least thought in some structural compensation.
Not with compostits wings thats for sure.
What do they mention about flaps in the instructions?
If they say it's OK... then you have them to blame when your wing un-peels in flight.
What fun.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:34 AM
sandseeker

I contacted Eric R with regard the structure and flaps, he said it it will be ok to fit scale flaps but recomended no flaps for sport flying to save wt.

chris
Old 12-05-2007, 03:52 PM
grenader

I'm not too worried about the weight as im planning to install a Saito FG36 in the nose. I think that should be able to compensate for some ekstra weight.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:48 PM
transatlanticflight

Grenader,

I just took delivery of a new fg36...it's a beauty. (Still wish it was multi cylinder and water cooled but it should be a great sounding, performing engine if adequate cooling can be arranged. Been trying to figure out what size Spitfire to put it in. I have cut apart a 1/6 kmp/yt spit to move the firewall back and make room for a gasser. I also own a yellow aircraft kit (I think 1/5 scale)...and now I see this beautiful 1/5.5 composite that I will probably have to purchase.

I have a number of questions regarding the fg36 that I pose to all...

1. Has anyone thought about putting a solo-prop or other 4-5 blader on an fg36 and how close to scale size prop and pitch could the engine handle.
2. What size (scale) spitfire should the engine be able to handle - 1/6, 1/5.5, 1/5...
3. The carb is designed for updraft when mounted right side up...any thoughts on how the engine will work inverted with down draft carb?
4. What does anybody think about mounting the fg36 right side up with a reduction drive (gear or belt driven) to shift the center of the prop shaft to the correct height and allow me to use the scale carb intake to feed fresh air to the carb. If so, what ratio and how would that affect prop selection?
5. Finally, any good source for functional scale exhausts for fishtail exhausts in the above scales? I know about keleo and j'tec...any others worth looking at?

Thanks

Rick
Old 12-06-2007, 06:11 PM
grenader

Transatlanticflight.

That Saito is a thing of beauty. Just came home from a club meeting and one of the guys brought his. We are going to test it and compare it with the RCS VT 50. Both engines are supposedly able to handle at least 20" propellers so we will try to find out their limits. . We are both building Yellow Aircraft spits. He is using his FG36 I'm going for the VT50.

1 A Solo would be interesting to try because you could find the best pitch setting by just adjusting between runs. As an FG36 supposedly could handle up to 20"X9 props an 18" multiblade might work.
2 As to size 1:5 for shure, but i think that 1:5.5 composite Spit shuld be ideal. You just need to move the firewall about 1" back to fit the engines length.
3 Upside down is not a problem its a pump carb so it does not react to be inverted and with the inntake trumpet it will not make a mess by sputtering fuel. I'm just wondering about the lack of choke and how that will work.
4 well these guys http://www.warbirdpropdrives.com fit a 26" four blade on an DA50 using 2,6:1 gear ratio.
5 For the Yellow Aircraft a friend of mine is getting the exhausts made of stainless steel in a car tuning workshop.

Greetings from Santa land

Ola
Old 12-08-2007, 08:26 PM
transatlanticflight

Sandseeker,

If you think we should take this topic elsewhere let us know...don't mean to high-jack.

Grenader,

I was thinking the fg36 might be a little under-powered for the yellow spit...I've seen them with g45's +. I don't think the solo-prop folks make a five blade, so four blade marks and 3 blade marks are all they could support. But I agree they seem like the best option so long as they balance well from the factory. I would not want to have to balance a prop.

I thought the Yellow Spit was a later mark. Do you recall which profile it has?

Thanks for the word on the pump carb...I just read the manual, good to know.

I've looked at the warbirdpropdrive several times before...the website seems full of promises and setbacks...seems the whole thing is on hold. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway the design looks to me like it would be terribly unstable and full of vibration. No way those long arms, bolted to the firewall, could handle the lateral forces of a belt drive swinging a monster prop. Great idea...poor execution. The FG36, being rail mounted would accomodate a more rigid design...one that could be an integral part of the actual engine mount. That is the way I'm engineering it. Producing a reduction drive for the FG will be the precurser to my true goal of engineering a small single or twin cylinder, watercooled (assisted), merlin/griffin/allison style engine, designed for gas, with integral scale exhuast, reduction drive
(with different gear ratio options). The engine would be offered with various exhaust and radiator options to fit 1/6, 1/5.5, 1/5 scale warbirds like the Spitfire, Mustang, p40, FW190, Me-109, etc. What are your thoughts? Kind of the holy grail of scale engines...maybe. I just don't really understand why it hasn't been done... There's been a lot of money and time wasted trying to gerry-rig the same all over RCU threads. $1200-$1500 seems affordable to me. With a belt driven prop drive and a solid engine block the engine would probably be more resistant to prop strikes from nose-overs and crashes in general. Bend the prop shaft? Buy a new drive shaft unit for $100 and bolt it on! That's the concept anyway...wish me luck.

Rick

Put a good word in to Santa for me.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:41 AM
sandseeker

Rick, no problem; power plant for this size a/c is an important issue, operating the systems on model a/c is all part of the fun.
Check out what the boat boys are up to http://206.206.85.209/xtdoc/catalogu...s&store=mhzusa

chris
Old 12-09-2007, 09:33 AM
grenader

Grenader

The Yellow spit is a MK XIV so it’s a griffon spit with the longer cowling. But it has the same fault all kits and all ARF's has except this composite MKIX has. They all lack a proper Gull section.

A geared engine would fit into most warbird cowlings as it could be mounted upright and with a cooling system that could reduce the need of unsightly openings in the cowling. I would certainly be very interested in such a proposition.

And to top it of being able to use a multiblade scale size propeller for flying yess.

Using a four stroke engine with gear in the Aviation design MKIX would make this an almost perfect match. Big four blade prop easy solvable exhaust. The only problem is as always cooling.
I had a KMP spit with RCV90 four stoke witch fit inside the cowling and when flying in 30 degrees centigrade the nylon engine mounts melted

And there is one thing to think of a Merlin was designed to run at about 100 degrees centigrade and the radiators and oil coolers were designed with that in mind.
What temperature can our model engines live with?

Santa is packing as we speak
Old 12-10-2007, 08:41 PM
transatlanticflight

Thanks Sandseeker...

Grenader,

I'm still in the design phase, but will post cad drawings as they come. Hope to have a prototype by Spring...depends on work. I really can't believe that no such engine has been produced. People in the hobby (Including Charles at Yellow aircraft) say that developing parts specific to a given model is a bad idea. Still, when it comes to the scale market...solving cooling and exhaust problems without cowl cutting is a time-consuming and therefore expensive proposition. Plus, everyone on RCU seems to desire scale working props but unsure how to get successful performance with them. Seems obvious that development of an engine that can be cowled and fits the profile of these three prolific engines would be a slam dunk. There are lots of radials out there for the planes designed for them. Time for a "v-12 watercooled" ...ok maybe a v-twin/quad or inline-twin with a v-12 exhaust. Can't wait to get started.

Not surprised about your rcv experience. That design produces a lot of friction and the cooling fins set perpendicular to air flow...not good. But nylon engine mounts? Do you usually use nylon vs aluminum?

Rick
Old 12-11-2007, 12:02 PM
grenader

Transatlanticflight

Looking forward to seeing the prototype.

Well what can I say they came with the kit
Old 12-14-2007, 05:12 AM
Tom Verstappen

Interesting, what is all included in the kit?
Old 12-14-2007, 08:05 AM
sandseeker

Hi Tom, you get the complete airframe with joining tubes and clear canopy; and you have the option to purchace....fittings (tank,horns,clevis and screws) Spinner(jp 4 1/2in ally) Detail kit (vac form cockpit sides and resin inst pannel)
Nice kit. I think I will put it together and fly in the silver paint before adding details and maybe scale flaps etc.

chris
Old 12-14-2007, 11:39 PM
skywarp1

Sweet kit! Looks well made.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:31 PM
flypilot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone here know if it is plausable to enter an F4c contest with this plane or will it not be alowed as it is an "ARF". What you think?
Old 12-18-2007, 07:31 AM
sandseeker

To quote the "assembly " manual...."our model is 100% scale and has already made several F4C competition"
Now I think they refer to the original kit (which is still on the AD web site) contact Eric for confirmation.

Chris
Old 12-18-2007, 08:01 AM
flypilot

Hi Just did and he confirmed what the manual says and that it should not be a problem as it is a kit and not like a typical chinese arf.

So, any progress on the build?
Old 12-18-2007, 09:43 AM
sandseeker

Hi Flypilot, I have decided to assemble the a/c with no detail or paint (comes primed in silver)fix the canopy and fly her to see if my MVVS 160 petrol is up to the job. I have started the stabs and I just cut out the wheel wells.The wing skin is a foam sandwich, v easy to cut out I will line with proskin.

chris

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51203.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	828515  
Old 12-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Tom Verstappen

Hi Chris,

Today I visited Aviation Design after a 5 hour drive from my home to France.
Nice guy Mr. Rantet is and I picked up 2 Spitfires...

I'm was thinking about a 3W28i engine, what do you think about that one?
Do you know is there is an extension available for this engine?

Cheers,
Tom
Old 12-22-2007, 07:28 PM
Tom Verstappen

Hi Chris,

Just opened the boxes and there is one weird thing, they say that its 100% scale.....but where is the air intake under the fuselage and do you have guns in the box????

Cheers,
Tom
Old 12-22-2007, 08:29 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sand,

I wish more people built these big birds instead of buying them almost done. I think there should be a seperate judging for the kit built planes and another for this type plane. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against your planes but I just think it's a shame that a mass produced composite is judged right along side a kit that took someone like me 2 to 3 thousand hrs. to build from plans and others that can finish one in a week.

JMHO,

Gibbs
Old 12-23-2007, 12:35 AM
sandseeker

Hi Tom,
I'm guessing the guns are the dowel and ally tubes, not as impressive as the rest of the kit! I also have no carb intake, there were so many variations on individual a/c so I will have to build one specific to my prototype subject. It is strange as you say for a"100 % scale" to ommitt such a prominant feature....and not to acknowlage its pressance on the real thing in the manual should be addressed.
I just opened up the wheel wells, I used a sharp knife and it was very easy, I wouldn't use the suggested Dremmel disc .

As to building from scratch, I personally do not have the space or time too. I don't think these comp kits (unless you design,engineer plugs/moulds yourself) should stand along side scratch (not kit, other peoples plans etc) built a/c in competition. Where do you draw the line? Full size a/c are not generally designed/built /painted and maintained by their owner/pilots yet who gets the credit for the work at fullsize shows? I have nothing to do (thank god) with the construction of the A345 I fly for a living but I still have a great pride and satisfaction in operating this a/c and will take credit for a smooth flight even though I can't control the weather and she has flown herself for 13hrs of a 14hr flight.

Pleasure for me is in putting a pleasing rendition of my favorite aircraft into the air with the knowlage that the odds of sucessfull return to earth are with you, great fun, good company of like minded individuals at the flying field not locked away in a shed for hundreds/thousands of hours only to emerge with an a/c I am affraid to fly.

Chris
Old 12-23-2007, 12:47 AM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

ORIGINAL: NCIS

Sand,

I wish more people built these big birds instead of buying them almost done. I think there should be a seperate judging for the kit built planes and another for this type plane. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against your planes but I just think it's a shame that a mass produced composite is judged right along side a kit that took someone like me 2 to 3 thousand hrs. to build from plans and others that can finish one in a week.

JMHO,

Gibbs
wow, you have no idea about rules for competition, let alone competing
2-3 thousand hours? for a TF 1/8 scale Corsair?

and, these composite kits do take alot more time to build/finish/paint/weather than a week[8D]

the composite kit looks great guys, keep up the great work
Old 12-23-2007, 05:50 AM
sandseeker

yes Tod I know nothing about competition, I don't pretend to, you guys do a fine job ,keep bashing the balsa....

chris
Old 12-23-2007, 05:59 AM
flypilot

Hi All,
As long as the f4c rules are as they are there is no other road we can take, and I am sure that everyone wish they were different but they are not so either has any choiche but to enter same competition...

But enough of that:
Just thought that I should chime in on that I also bought a Spitfire kit from Rantet and it will probably be here in january. I will be installing the new Robart spring air retracts in mine and will see if my new Saito FG-36 will fit, if not I will be going electric instead.

Sandseeker: If you don't mind I will also post my build pictures in this thread?
Old 12-23-2007, 06:51 AM
sandseeker

Good news Fly, it's pretty much a blank canvas as far as installation/control set-up goes, it will be interesting to see different solutions.
Feel free to post away!

chris

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.