Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Why is this hobby so expensive?????????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Why is this hobby so expensive?????????

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 02:43 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why is this hobby so expensive?????????

ORIGINAL: paladin

When I had three kids in catholic school in the 90(ok early 90’s) G38 size engines were around $100 (magnum 41,bought by tower and called USA engines), the wood to build my Zeroli corsair cost $80, and giant scale servos for E, R, and flaps were another $200.

Now that two kids are in collage and one has a good job but lives at home g38’s are $300, corsair wood is $300, and cheapo servos are $120.

Not defending prices... things cost money

BUT.... in your example, I'm sure the numbers are correct, but if you are earning the same amount of money now that you earned in the early Ninties..... then you need to find another job.......

Old 12-02-2007, 03:13 PM
andernamen
My Feedback: (3)

when you go to the field and see what everyone else has, it is frustrating for someone like me who doesn't have a whole lot of money either. I have the bug, and will fly anything in the meantime until I get my first Ziroli "big"plane all RTF. I have been given a Tower Hobbies Kaos, a plane I didn't want or care about, but it has done wonders for my RC education and made me a better pilot. I also got a crashed TF P-40 for free. I've gambled with used engines, servos, radios, etc. If you really want to do this hobby, you have to be smart, opportunistic, and thrifty. You will learn a lot more about the hobby this way too. I bought a TF giant scale P-47 kit part built for $100. I've got a Homelite chainsaw conversion motor for this plane and used retracts. If you are willing to comprimise, you can make things happen. Good luck.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Nathan_L

On a related note I hear a lot of stuff in giant aerobatics like "Why does a Carden kit cost $1,000 for a 35% size" and stuff like that.

Because they sell every one they make at that price. In other words - because we buy it at that price.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:23 PM
bla bla

We've all become victims of the social comparison theory.
We've been using it in my (advertising) and related branches (sale and marketing) for the past 20 years. The concept has now been developed into such and art form that its considered the single driving force behind modern consumerism. Without it, our society would, for better of for worse, cease to exist in the form we know it today.

In short, we've been manipulated into comparing ourselves with people in similar circumstances. For example: we compare our own wealth, not with Donald Trump, but instead with a colleague, neighbor or competitor in a similar job. The trick is, we've now been conditioned to only see what they have: new car /shoes/TV/ handbag, holiday home (add as required)... compared with what we have, or more to the point, haven't. The latter being the key as we been so elegantly conditioned to the trapping of success, we can (if the marketing and Opinion Spreaders ( a term we use to donote people engandged in undercover marketing (yes chat groups) are doing the job) feel a damned right failure unless we also have it. "Are you still driving that car? Are you still carrying that handbag... are you still flying that small .60. When are you going to get a REAL plane? The problem is, we just can't seem to cope with people in similar circumstances to ourselves having more than we have! This leaves us with no other option than going out and either spending more income,or savings or (and this is what been happening on a MASSIVE scale) borrowing more and more money so we can purchase similar goods and life style or (and and this is whats happening in the RC pits), social positioning!

We are, in marketing terms, super consumers! We wake up in the morning and start consuming! As soon as we get our pay check we want to rush out and spend it! The market love this, thats why it promotes it and we're in a lot of respects, victimized by it. Cars used to have a 7 year cycle, then it went down to 5, now it down to 3. They know there are enough people out there that will just HAVE to by the new version because they simply can't be seen dead in the old one. When it come to fashion and fashion accessories, it's taken on a whole new art form! Take sun glasses. Last year it was BIG brand marking, Huge logos... everybody must by them. Next summer, it's no brand visible (it's bad taste we're told) so Dior, Chanel logo for example only appear very small on the inside. What have they achieved? They've just made their last years models, Yes the ones our wife's spend a fortune buying, obsolete! The girls just can't be seen wearing them. In marketing term it's brilliant! In real human social, economic not to mention moral terms, it's becoming absolutely disastrous.

Right then... Errr ...what was the original question?
Old 12-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

I collect/restore full scale military vehicles. I am a scratch builder also. I can build any of Ziroli's planes if I wish. I keep my eye out for good deals when I can find them. Don't be afraid to scratch build an airplane. Keep the tail light and go for it. You will find the flying experience much more enjoyable knowing YOU built that model. Good luck.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Syssa Aircraft

In your life you have to make compromises....I guess that's it!

My financial rules of thumb are simple...never carry credit card (balance) debt unless an emergency. We have none....and hopefully never will...this saves us untold amounts of cash over the long term.

Buy a new car only if you can buy it cash...cars are the WORST investment....OK...except for maybe classics...and some others ( I drive a 1997 Expedition in perfect shape with 115K - dont drive too much so gas is no big deal)

Buy a house you can afford...

Put cash away for a rainy day whenever possible.

Look at how many people have car payments....that is a big one....if most average wage earners just bought a good used car and kept it as long as possible...then put the money they saved (including interest) into a simple savings account, over time, they could probably use that to retire!

Anyway...I am not rich by US standards, but I have quite a few toys that I play with...and never use a card to buy them.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Syssa Aircraft

Oh..and if you dont drink often, which my wife and I do not (which tends to guzzle cash, especially when you are out at restaurants) that helps too! My friends ask me how I can afford to buy so many toys...I just say...I have to buy something with all that leftover cash that I dont spend on alcohol! LOL

...and as someone said before (apologize I forgot who) its ONLY EXPENSIVE IF YOU CRASH!!! is probably the truest statement ever! LOL
Old 12-02-2007, 09:59 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont gedt frustrated over a what is defined as a luxary , the top end of this hobby and many parts inbetween are luxuarys , there not needed in life to enjoy this hobby .
At 47 years of age , my dad bought me my first RC plane when I was 9 . It was a single channge kit that I had to build . Dont remember the name but the plane was $36 , all balsa , low wing astro hog looking type plane .
The engine was a cox 049 Rc and the radio had to be perchased much later due to money , that was $76 for a single channel rudder .
So follow this logic , if anything the hobby is now more affordable then ever .
Just look at the new offerings from E-flight , for $209 , you get a nice little warbird total package with all the fun and power needed to enjoy this hobby .
Or look at the P47 from e-flight , again , total all our performance if you build it as your budget allows and add a brushless moter ect as you can afford it .
This hobby is so deverse that you can enjoy an F14 or su27 total package soup to nuts for $229 bucks .
When I was 14 I build a Hal Debolt live wire champ , the kit with covering , glue , wheels ect was near $175 , no moter , radio ect , so in reality the hobby will offer extremes on both ends from value to luxary , enjoy what you can afford and if going to the field bothers you try the park first , but remember most rc guys at the field dont care what you show up with as long as its RC
Old 12-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well said LDM, I started out with a little control line job powered by a cox .049, built afew of those things. Then onto .049 powered free flight and a 15 powered control line.

I did not get into R/C untill my 1st wife bought a 15 powered 3 ch trainer that I had to build that was 1991 and I was 30. It was abasic little thing. The engine I had from my C/L days, just needed the r/c carby. Bought a hitec 5 ch radio, think it was about the $400 AUD mark.

Plane did not last long as I tried to teach myself [:-]

anyway enjoy the hobby and the expense is driven by how complex you want to get. Lots of cheap ARFs, cheap engines and cheap R/C radios out there now. Even 2nd hand is ok to get you going.

cheers
Peter
Old 12-02-2007, 10:49 PM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

It seems you either have the time or the money....right now...I have:

1. Wife
2. baby
3. myself
4. business #1
5. business #2
6. business #3

I am 31 years old and would love nothing other than to build a nice p-51 from zirolis parts...but...by the time I got to fly it my first baby would be graduating college!

Bought a P-51 H9 1.50...and will be flying in a month or so! Some day when I retire...hopefully in about 10 years....I will be able to...but for now...arf is for me...and I could not afford to pay myself what it would cost in time to build from scratch or even a kit. My dad always built from scratch...actually he built his own radio back in the day when there really was no radio control...or any control besides control lines! I grew up with that...but I simply dont have time and for me, the arfs are very tough to beat for the price.

Think about how much a reasonable Futaba cost back in the day and what you got for it...now think about buying a Spektrum Dx7 with servos...think about the price of both and what you got...the technology...and everything...todays prices are really not that bad I dont think.
I have those family obligations too...most of us do. I don't own my own business, but I do work 12 hrs a day! Time is scarce for most of us trying to raise a family regardless of your financial position. That is the way it is. However, in my particular case, I really want that Ziroli, so I am willing to sacrifice the other things I like so I can have it. I think most anyone who is gainfully employed can acquire the things they desire if they are smart about it and are willing to make the sacrifices to get it...I am. Now, can I justify it, probably not, because there is ALWAYS something needing to be done around the house or some needs that my family has that comes first. But I would rather walk around in shoes from Payless, and wear faded jeans if that helps me get the other things I want. I have been in this hobby for 6 years, and have spent a wagon load of money up till this point. I choose now to save for something bigger. It just means I'll be packing sandwiches for work, and won't be flying a couple new ARF's this year. But next year, I will have that badass Ziroli ready to go. It really is within anyones reach...it may just take some longer to get it, so it just comes down to how bad you want it. JMO.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:08 PM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Todd,
Hey man, how's it going? Nice to see you getting into warbirds! Finally another warbird at the Farmington field!! We need to get together this spring/summer and do some formation flying. Hope everything went well with the baby. My son was born on November 21.

This hobby can get pretty expensive but man is it fun!!!!! I am a federal employee making just enough to get by here in CT but I still manage to put away $100 a month in a seperate account just for this hobby. I think the key is, just don't buy everything at once. Buy the kit, save more, buy the retracts, save more, buy the engine, etc.. Also, any hobby related item I sell I just put that money back into my hobby account. That way the hobby helps to pay for itself. That is how I managed to get everything I need for my Yellow P-47 and Giant Scale Top Flite Corsair. Now I just need to find some time to get them in the air.

Just my .02 cents,
Tony Gagliardi Jr.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:01 AM
Rebel Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can still find good deals, if you are in the right place at the righ time. I sold a Desert Winds 102" Me 109 RTF with a G-62 in very nice shape. Along with it went a complete kit with CJ retracts , of the same plane that was mostly done. It came with a fiberglass fuse all for $1100.00 to a complete D_ _ _ head!

I also sold a Bryon P-47 Thunderbolt RTF with a 5.8 Sachs (Razorback) for $350.00. It was all olive drab with invasion stripes. Looked really nice. I just didnt want it any longer.

I think I know a guy in Nebraska that would trade a really nice Nosen 102" P-51 Mustang, Anco wheels and retracts, 5.8 Sachs with scale exhaust, done up as "BIG BEAUTIFUL DOLL" for a DA-100. You can pick those engines up from around $800.00 to $1100.00 bucks.

The trade show at Toledo is a VERY good place to find kits and projects. I picked up a Yellow Aircraft Spitfire kit with wheels, retracts, and spinner for $650.00.
Did it again the next year for $700.00.
Start planning a trip to Toledo with a few guys and split the cost up. Hotels are cheap. Talk warbirds all the way there.
I live 600 miles from Toledo. We leave at 7pm on thur and get there at about 6am on fri. All day friday, all day sat with a fun FREE auction sat night. Go back sun morning(if you have any money left) and pick up anythig that you cant live without. Get on the road by 12 pm and be home in time to watch the 10pm news, snuggle up with the wife and ask her how her weekend went.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:05 AM
eagledancer

i have been in this hobby since '86 at that time in my life i also had the wife/kids/ect. i decided to quit drinking and put that money into something for me, and i chose this hobby, yes in the beginning it was the .60 size planes, the cheap kits. but as time went on i decided i wanted to get into giant scale. and also little or no money to do everything i wanted, so i was buying plans and cutting my own kits. first giant scale engine was a quadra 35 i picked up used at a swap meet for 50.00. bought my balsa a little at a time as i was ready for the next area to build. it can be done cheaply! well wife is gone, kids are grown, i do have a bit more cash to apply to this great hobby, but i still follow the old ways i learned i search for the deals. i am about to start a ziroli p-38 i have had the plans for about 7 years now, and everytime i find a deal for a piece of that plane i would snap it up, i search ebay, the adds here on rcu ect. the deals are out there if you DONT get in a hurry. but 7 years later and everything is now here its just waiting on the building table to open up. (finishing a Proctor albratross 1/4 scale that i have spent several years building, this kit was traded for btw) all you want can be had, trust me money has been tight for me also. but the key to getting what you want is how you go about it. yes it would be nice if i could just pick up the phone and buy it all at once, but i cant even now. but i do save where i can and hunt out the deals, you wouldnt beleave how many ppl out there has more then they will ever build, they realize it and start thinning out thier collections. over the years i have gotten to the point where i have to sell planes from time to time to have room for the ones i build. and NO i dont do the ARF thing lets not go there, that is money out the window as far as i am concerned. but lets not get on that flame war plz guys just MHO
Old 12-03-2007, 04:36 AM
bla bla

Eagledancer has some very valid points here. True satisfaction, both long and short term cannot be bought in a big shiney box with ATF written on it. You think it can, but all it's giving you is an illusion of happiness. As soon as the drug wares off your back down the LHS looking for your next high. Dollors flying left, right and center. You've been suckered.
A victim of what I said earlier.

The brilliant thing is, the solution is stone simple. RADICAL, but simple. Get a plan! You can spend weeks, months, years just looking at it and mentally building the plane. It's quite wonderful. Slowly start making some templates, a couple of pieces at at time while gathering various research pictures, reference, details of the model you'd like to build. Sounds boring...You'll warm to it.

Get some wood, start cutting, gluing sanding, shaping. Get intouch with the universe a create your own baby.
Building models. it's a spiritual thing... don't laugh it's true. Many cultures believe than when you make something, part of your sole, your spirt is tranfered to that very same object.
I don't believe ANY model builder would disagree with that.
Pleasurable... and cheap.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Syssa Aircraft

Tony! Sweet! Congrats on the baby...I think our kids will end up flying together someday! LOL It will be cool having more WWII stuff down at the field. This summer should be lots of fun! How is everything else? Give me a call! 860 877 3191 I cant wait to see your P47!

My point earlier was...you just have to be smart about how you spend your cash and you can buy what you want usually.
Now...living in CT...that is a bit of a different story...if you are young and just buying a house now...its very difficult as a regular sized house will cost you about $250,000 if you want to live in a decent neighborhood and send your kids to a decent school. And dont even get me started about the taxes! I'm surprised they havent figured out how to legitamize a "breathable air tax". I think Tony will back me up on this! That is one of the reasons I am trying to move to somewhere more reasonable...south of the border...anyway...that is for another day. My in laws bought a house (new) outside Fort Worth (in a very nice neighborhood) 1700 sq ft with everything for $110K. Its a joke here with living expenses...especially with family.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:39 AM
lightning 759

whys this hobby so expensive
easy answer
its so dam infectious that's why
Old 12-03-2007, 10:16 AM
bentwings

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with whoever said to move this thread to the humor catagory.

There have been some good posts on conservation already and here are a few of mine which you can see I've already incorporated most of them. It takes a plan as Bla Bla said. It takes a comittment to follow thru. Hard nose at that. Carefull shopping. Buy wise but don't buy junk. Buy once not twice.

I'm not weathy...anybody else that is retired knows what I mean. I buy sell and trade where ever I can. This is part of the hobby too.

My basic premice is to do only what you can afford. Don't borrow for your hobby. Reduce your personal waist I mean waste too, , you don't need Starbucks coffee...you can buy a month of regular coffee for one sitting there. Do all you shopping in one trip...saves gas (diesel) for the hobby, stop drinking sodas at $1.25+ a hit. Throw that $$$ in the pot for the hobby, stop smoking, saves $$$ for butts and doctors, toss that $$$ in the pot too. . You would be surprised what you can waste. Make an Excel spread sheet for this stuff. Don't need cable TV anymore either. Why would you waste time (very valuable) watching old movies that you could put into your hobby???

Back in the 70's when I was flying nearly everyday, I thought nothing of burning a couple gallons of fuel, a dozen props and another dozen glow plugs on a typical Sat or Sun. When I went to the hotrod twin plus the Dirty Birdy and UFO my pits at the flying field looked like the top fuel dragster pits of today. I was probably one of the first to use a trailer to haul my stuff to the field. I thought nothing of bashing a DB and building a new one for the following week. I made good $$$ in the shop back then but I sure did spend it on hobbies.

I don't buy ARF'S I build and taught the boys how to build. I taught them engineering, auto mechanics, machine shop and even some computer skills. they are teaching me now. haha It's payback time.

When I built the first Ziroli Corsair, warbirds this size were not common. I had about $3000 in it. Plus I had a trailer. Most thought I was nuts to fly the plane. "what if you crash it???" was commonly said. I built it to fly not hanging up in the den. .. And fly it I did. I never gave a second thought about crashing it. only flying safely. It saw 6 states and probably 25 different flying fields in 13 years.

Today the model hobby has a 118" B-25 to be done by spring, a Z-P51 done with a 5.8, 2 sport pattern planes and possibly another Z-Corsair. at least 2 more large warbirds are in the planning stages.

I have a life too....hahah Streetrod 41 Willys (double 5 figure investment), Dodge diesel dually to pull the big trailer this time. My son and I will have a streetrod, sandbuggy, 4 wheeler, and at least 2 warbirds to travel around with next summer.

I'm now retired so I do a little streetrod work for income and live off the land so to speak. haha Don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs, don't do women (any more than wife requires), stop eating when I'm still hungry, drink home brew coffee and lemonade, try not to get hurt beyond what I can fix myself, don't eat out more than once a week, don't have TV, no fancy stereo ( can't hear anyway), have top of the line R/C radio however. haha

Don't need a new car or truck every couple years. I have 190,000 on my truck and expect it to go to 500,000 before they take my keys. Do the math on what it take to operate a car or truck. I have kept track of car costs for over 40 years of driving. Currently I have an extensive spreadsheet on the truck. I know every expense to 3 decimal places, every cost per mile, everything even car washes. I fix my own truck...I learned or learn as I go to fix the diesel. I buy only tools I need nothing extra.

I no longer have an expensive house. Much less expensive apt and much larger offsite garage. Much less headache.....less asperin....less cost hahah more hobby $$$.

The final thing is you have to have some humor.

Sorry for the long post.....I love this place.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Red B.

The great thing about this hobby of ours is that the fun of it isn't really dependent on the amount of dollars invested.
Giant scale,aircraft, jets and the like are expensive and probably always will be, but never before has engines and radios been more affordable than now.

I have been involved in almost all aspects of aeromodelling but turbine powered jets.
For a number of years I spent a lot of money and resources building and flying giant scale aircraft, but since about a decade I have returned to scale aircraft in the .40 to 1.20 range. The satisfaction I receive from building and flying those aircraft is as great as for giant scale aircraft. The building and construction challenge is greater because smaller sized aircraft need to be built with a lower wing loading and also it is more of a challange to replicate full size details and structure.

The skill of the modeller is not measured in dollars either, building and flying skills are mostly dependent on other factors. Have a look at the peunut scale rubber powered models on this site [link=http://www.ffscale.co.uk/cp6.htm]Free Flight Scale[/link]. The cost of each model is probably less than $50 but they are beautifully built and I am sure they fly as well as they look. For me the "wow-factor" of those small wonders is just as big as for any giant scale aircraft.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:13 PM
bentwings

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well said Red.
I correspond with a gentleman that is quite my senior who has recently returned to the hobby. He builds "stick" models preferably from antique plans. He built a ME-109 stick model with a huge paddle prop for rubber power. It was really nice to see the craftmanship he demonstrated in construction. Some old techniques that have disappeared. This model looked like it was made in the 30's. No CA no yellow glue. I think he even made his own glue like it was done back then.....before my time. I think he said he had about $30 in it. Probably better than 100 hours too. He flys some of them in gyms I think.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:47 PM
NCIS

Gret Hobby but Expensive too,

I believe it is a shame that this hobby costs more than the average income family man can afford to be in let alone build a Giant scale aircraft. I live month to month with my apartment business. I buy, sell, and rent apartments. The only time I can afford a Giant scale airplane is when I sell an apartment building. Thats when I make real good money. But as we all know the real estate market is soft and has been for 2 or more years now. I have a 1/4 scale Corsair that luckily I bought everything except the retracts for after my last sale. Now it's time for the Sierra retracts and I am stumpted. I hope the market picks up because just living off the rent from the apartments I own only allows me to build 60 size planes or buy an ARF here and again. I feel yours and everyone elses pain over the money aspect of this hobby. It is a great hobby but I have friends that are selling their planes just to put food on their families table.

Gibbs
Old 12-03-2007, 03:55 PM
bla bla

Remember though, the hobby is actually cheap! A few balsa stick and a drop of glue as mentioned above. It's our desire, to own the biggest, the newest and the best that causes the expensive.... and even then, the cost of these things is controlled by nothing more complex than what people are willing to pay. If everybody stands up and say h#ll we aint going to pay that... prices will drop. Its a consumerised society. That means it's controlled by the consumer: You and me.

So what will it take for the prices to drop? Enough people that can't afford to pay. As you've aready noticed... the crack is about to kick in. Hold on.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:17 PM
rogue-RCU

I agree that everythng has gotten more expensive in R/C , but what hasn't. Radios are a lot cheeper than they were when i started flying. I use the method that some of the other guys have . For example , I bought the TF GS T-bolt, then the retracts, now I'm saving for the engine. I don't have the funds to go out and buy everything at one time so I buy it piece by piece. I have been in your shoes and I know what it is like. Just enjoy it all .
Old 12-03-2007, 08:31 PM
91zulu

I know what you mean about this hobby being expensive. But every now and again you will get a good deal. Quite a few times we get $500 deals on Ziroli warbirds. Some with everythng inside ready to fly, some no engine or servo. others we just had to put in motor. We earlier this past summer got a second Ziroli Stuka for $250 no radio or motor that was nice. You just have to keep an eye out for the deals on the WWW. every day.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:38 PM
91zulu

First Stuka..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20493.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	817980  
Old 12-03-2007, 08:56 PM
91zulu

new stuka
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83921.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	817994  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.