Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Jemco P51

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 12:08 PM
av8n-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jemco P51

Hi,

I was hoping someone could provide me with the recommended
cg for this kit.

A friend recently gave me this mostly completed kit, but without any plans. If it makes any difference, it is the kit with the built up balsa wing, not the foam core one.

Thanks for any information.

Take Care,

Paul
Old 04-04-2003, 03:36 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Jemco P51

Paul, You have the Fun Scale P-51D. Now that came in two flavors a 40 size and a 60 size. Regardless the CG is easy to find on both. You will notice it has a hard wood dihedral brace on the bottom of the wing that should be glued to the front of the main spars. The forward part of that dihedral brace is the CG point and you can move it 1/4in on either side of that.

This is from memory, I'll double check and get back with you.

Also this plane was very inexpencive so alot of them were made and that drove atleast two design changes that I know of. The first design had no top wing sheeting and a much thicker(1/2 in) dihdral brace. While the older version had D section sheeting and a 1/4 in dihedral brace.

Its a great flying plane! I have a 60 size with retracts that my son flys all the time. Even with retracts it weights 6.25# and with a Super Tigre S-61 for power it dose the zoomy thing very well.
To the tune of over 100hr flight time

Things to watch out for:
The slot for the aileron torque rods are cut to deep. Make sure the torque rods fit snuggly or you will get aileron flutter. If that part is already built repost and I'll tell you how to fix that.

Good Luck!
Old 04-04-2003, 06:06 PM
av8n-RCU

Default Jemco P51

Thanks for the reply. I do have the 40 size model and it does not have any sheeting on the top of the wing (if memory serves me).
Anymore info will be appreciated.

Take Care,

Paul
Old 04-05-2003, 04:13 AM
Lake Flyer
My Feedback: (13)

Default Jemco P51

I think were talking about two different manufactures here. Jemco were not fun scale. Jemco was Jim Meister, who is now Meister Scale. The Jemco kits were very close to scale, the had foam core wings and interlocking parts construction for the fuselage. I have the Jemco P-51 plan and the CG is 3 3/8" back from F5 which is the former the wing dowel plugs into.
While they are small by todays standards they were really nice kits in their day. Flew well to.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:16 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Jemco P51

Lake flyer,
I hate to tell you this but I also have had both versions of the Jemco P-51
The Scale (foam wing)and the Fun scale (built-up wing) version

I was my understanding that the fun scale version became the Dynaflite version after the the kits were sold to Mark's Models then be came Dynaflite
Old 04-06-2003, 07:10 AM
Grampaw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jemco P51

This is a photo of a JEMCO P-51 I had somewhere in the mid
70's. It was the smaller of the two mentioned and had a flat bottomed built up wing. I had a Fox .36 RE (rear exhaust) on it. The rectangular object behind the cylinder head, if you can see it, is that flat muffler, thus the name RE for rear exhaust. It fit perfectly between the motor mounts, dumping exhaust and oil out the bottom. The wing wasn't scale, but it was P-51 in looks. It was easy to build and great fun to fly. Jemco had an P-39 spin
off using the same wing. Once I taxiied it to the end of the runway, stopping to look around for any other traffic before T.O. Seeing none I turned back to the plane to take off and found that it had already taken off without me! It was actually flying in a flat flight mode, hovering in the breeze at idle right at my elbow! I
really didn't expect that! I hit the throttle and it scooted out like it was shot off a catapault! Never could duplicate that move again. Building was a breeze! Everything fit together like a puzzle. I remember some drawings with assembly instructions, but no plans. The wing may have been drawn out. Been a while!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	68514_17853.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	41363  
Old 07-29-2003, 02:23 AM
E-Challenged

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fun VS Master Scale

I have the unbuilt "Meister" kit ( foam sheeted wing) and just crashed my 20 year old fun scale model after hundreds of flights and many crashes and repairs and recoverings. Aileron servo failed, caused minor crash. Forgot to check direction of replacement servo throw.

My Fun Scale P51 had the top 1/3 of wing sheeted with 1/16 balsa. The oil cooler under wing was made from 1/4 sheet carved and sanded to realistic shape. Tail wheel was hooked to rudder servo with separate cable, turned less than rudder. Fixed landing gear wire always tended to bend backward on hard landings.
I used Dubro scale plastic lg wire covering. Approx 70 mph in level flight with ASP .40 sticking out on top. Quite aerobatic. Various coverings included Rockwell and Bob Hoover Ole Yeller markins and chrome monokote buffed with Scotcbrite with Wisconsin ANG markings.

I'm looking forward to building the Meister kit, may go to retracts and flaps.